Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

duckmaster posted:

What?

The area you're talking about is almost completely covered by the Himalayas and radar is completely ineffective. Both sides maintain a ground presence and the Chinese did set up a "weather station" last year ( :tinfoil: ) but if it's a secret radar station the Indians have been observing it and noted that it has never actually been turned on.

There is virtually no radar coverage in that area as well as in massive, massive swathes of the world.

edit:

Exactly how do you buy a ticket to get onto a cargo flight?

Deadheading crew? It's happened before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
The aircraft was transporting 4 tons of mangosteens to China

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Sources say it was hijacked by an ad linking to the appstore.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Well that's the worst thing I've read all week, cheers.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aeternum posted:

New theory - the plane is still on the treadmill.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Well that relies on the terrorists working for the same company and all of them managing to get on the same plane at the same time. I don't see how that's easier than just buying a plane ticket?

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

duckmaster posted:

Well that relies on the terrorists working for the same company and all of them managing to get on the same plane at the same time. I don't see how that's easier than just buying a plane ticket?

It only needs one hijacker though. And the pilots might have bent the rules to let a fellow pilot who was along for the ride into the cockpit.

The Guardian has put up some interesting stuff about mobile phones:

quote:

IT expert Paul Thompson has responded to the continuing speculation that mobile phone signals on board the missing plane could have been picked up.

Thompson, who works on IT policy for the Lib Dems but is commenting in a personal capacity, says the chances of any data getting through would be extremely slim.

In response questions raised by reader Michael Rhodes (see earlier), he writes:

1. The communication devices would have to connect to a cell tower. Although it’s possible for mobile signals to connect at medium to high altitudes (up to 15,000 ft I believe) this would be extremely patchy and tests have shown that anyone trying to connect above 2000 feet would have a very very difficult time doing so. Also, when someone is making a call while travelling they may go past several cell phone towers with each tower handing the caller onto the next, however at airliner speeds of 400mph it may be far too fast for this process to happen.
2. There would have to be a GSM tower for them to connect to. We know that much of the aircraft’s path was over water where no signal would have been possible (a tower has a range of about 35km), however even when it hit land the coverage may have been patchy. Say the aircraft went due north from its last position to Burma where GSM coverage is sporadic at best (rollout only started in 2008), it would have been very lucky to catch a signal from a tower regardless of height or speed.
3. We would have to know IMEI numbers for all the passengers mobile devices - this would need to be collected from each of their respective countries, as this would enable us to uniquely identify the device as being from one of the passengers - I doubt this has been done yet.
4.Say a mobile did manage to connect to a GSM tower for a split second, enough for the tower to register their IMEI number, that data would have to be collected and made available to us. We are talking about several developing countries with a very wide range of mobile operators, all with varying policies and laws (if any) governing the collection of mobile data. Would that data have been saved and not overwritten after 7 days? If so, it is saved in a central database? Is that database searchable? A mobile company would only pay to build this capability if it had to.
5. Has anyone asked each of the mobile operators for all of the countries MH370 could have flown over to see if any of the passengers IMEI data was recorded? The search so far has been a bit of a farce, it wouldn’t surprise me if someone hadn’t yet started this mammoth task as it only became clear in the past few days that MH370 was hijacked somehow.

So in short, we really shouldn’t speculate on the lack of mobile data - but investigating it may be a worthwhile avenue to pursue.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

LastCaress posted:

Plane spotted flying over Missouri

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

ukle posted:

There has to be a flaw in this, as that seems plausible. Normally would be really unlikely but the fact MH370 did seem to follow the plane combined with everything else does make it a plausible theory, even if it seems like its straight out of a James Bond film. Also wouldn't be the difficult for the pilot to do as the other plane would be flying to known way points on autopilot.

Still its probably sitting at the bottom of the ocean, but at least we finally have a possible explanation of how the plane could have got to mainland Asia undetected, even if its really unlikely.

The biggest flaw is that it's trying to create a solution for a problem whilst ignoring the obvious solutions.

If you wanted to get a plane from Malaysia to north of India why go through all the trouble of "piggybacking" another plane? It would make far more sense to go through a poor country which only has three (3!) radar stations covering an area of 676,578 km² (about the size of Texas) - Burma. This country has a relatively impoverished population, none of which are going to bother walking down the road the next day to tell a policeman they saw a Boeing 777 flying a bit low the previous night. This is a country where only 15% of people in rural areas have access to electricity, and even then for only a few hours a day - their air force has said their radar stations didn't pick anything up, but can they afford to turn them on?.

Once you're out of Burma in the north you're into the Himalayas and a skilled pilot, taking some risks, can stay low enough to be undetectable. And even if he was detected, would it matter? Radar wouldn't be expecting a jumbo to be flying over the Himalayas at that altitude so it would just be considered a false negative.

If it's gone overland it's gone over Burma, not piggybacking another plane with Steven Seagal holding onto the roof.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
So ok malaysian officials just revised their statement about the timing of the "good night" call, apparently it came before the transponder was switched off. Jesus gently caress get your poo poo together.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So what are the Vegas odds on the plane being used later to carry explosives/hostages and slamming that poo poo into a major city?

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Philosopher King posted:

So what are the Vegas odds on the plane being used later to carry explosives/hostages and slamming that poo poo into a major city?

Wouldn't they would have just done that right away though? If you've hijacked a plane, you've already got a flying bomb. There's no need to land it, deal with the passengers (presumably by killing them), re-load it with explosives and take off again with everybody looking out for a rogue airliner. I suppose it's possible, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for something that could have been done with the airliner full of fuel not long after takeoff from Kuala Lumpur.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Daimo posted:

Well that's the worst thing I've read all week, cheers.

The black box transcript is something else. :stare: Why did the idiot keep trying to kill them long after he knew his Clever Plan was blown?

http://www.tailstrike.com/070494.htm

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Warrahooyaargh posted:

Wouldn't they would have just done that right away though? If you've hijacked a plane, you've already got a flying bomb. There's no need to land it, deal with the passengers (presumably by killing them), re-load it with explosives and take off again with everybody looking out for a rogue airliner. I suppose it's possible, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for something that could have been done with the airliner full of fuel not long after takeoff from Kuala Lumpur.

Well if you want to load it up with a nuke and detonate it over a city wouldn't that be more effective than taking out a single building?

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Maybe the pilots just loved reading those weird unexplained wikipedia articles and wanted to add one to the list.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There can't be many stores in the world that sell nuclear bombs. Maybe they just took a detour to pick one up.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

LastCaress posted:

did Mods know?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's probably something mundane as opposed to spectacular.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

bonestructure posted:

The black box transcript is something else. :stare: Why did the idiot keep trying to kill them long after he knew his Clever Plan was blown?

http://www.tailstrike.com/070494.htm

JT: Get him, get him, get him, get him, get him, get him!
AW: bank angle, bank angle...
JT: Get him, get him, get him!
AC: I'm gonna kill you!
AC: Hey, hey! I'll kill ya!
AW: bank angle, bank angle
DS: Get him, get him, get him!
DS: Yeah, get him!
JT: Get him, get him, get him, Andy, I got the airplane!
JT: Get him, Andy, get him!
(struggling in background)
(overseed warning -- series of clicks in background)

(sound of hammers being thrown into cockpit)

DS to rear: Kill the son of a bitch! Kill him! Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!

:stare:

Admiral Heklar
May 2, 2012

Gate Camper

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Maybe the pilots just loved reading those weird unexplained wikipedia articles and wanted to add one to the list.

How in the holy gently caress can the government find me and put thoughts into my brain, but yet they can't find all these people... I think 'they' might already know where the plane is but they don't want to tell us or maybe the people on board discovered the secret formula for working tinfoil helmets to block out the signal...

/tinfoil

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Daimo posted:

JT: Get him, get him, get him, get him, get him, get him!
AW: bank angle, bank angle...
JT: Get him, get him, get him!
AC: I'm gonna kill you!
AC: Hey, hey! I'll kill ya!
DS: Get him, get him, get him!
DS: Yeah, get him!
JT: Get him, get him, get him, Andy, I got the airplane!
JT: Get him, Andy, get him!
(struggling in background)
(overseed warning -- series of clicks in background)

(sound of hammers being thrown into cockpit)

DS to rear: Kill the son of a bitch! Kill him! Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!

:stare:

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Philosopher King posted:

Well if you want to load it up with a nuke and detonate it over a city wouldn't that be more effective than taking out a single building?

I don't know if terrorists would be able to get hold of or build an actual nuclear weapon. A "dirty bomb", on the other hand, is more of a possibility.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

LastCaress posted:

I assumed this was a joke, but it's on PPRUNE. This is perfect.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Has anyone considered that the person at the controls managed to pull off a Sullenberger-style water landing? Then the plane just eased itself into the ocean depths like an old man into a nice warm bath.

This would be disastrous because it means we'll never find anything. But a ditching is very hard to do well, even harder in a Boeing (from what I understand about the levels of automation between Boeing/Airbus).

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I'm going to sleep. Can someone text me if they find the plane? tia

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Plane spotted flying over Missouri

I live in Missouri and I saw a plane this morning. Should I call someone to report it?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Are there any cool conspiracy theories around? Not the boring jew stuff, more like "it's an ARG for a new LOST movie".

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Welp, pack it in airline people, this missing plane proves that we shouldn't be flying around up there in the air

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Works for me, I'm going by boat next time, and I loving hate the ocean, with its freak waves and blue whales and poo poo.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Works for me, I'm going by boat next time, and I loving hate the ocean, with its freak waves and blue whales and poo poo.

Maybe it was a blue whale that jizzed all over the controls when they reached a radar-evading altitude.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
How loving metal would it be if they hijacked the plane to a secret terrorist base and summarily executed all the passengers

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Maybe it was a blue whale that jizzed all over the controls when they reached a radar-evading altitude.

How far-fetched.

bathroom sounds posted:

How loving metal would it be if they hijacked the plane to a secret terrorist base and summarily executed all the passengers

I think it's likely that they landed at a secret hidden airbase, but the optimist in me would like to believe that the passengers are being held in a sort of jungle complex, but otherwise safe. Also, some kind of Asian Liam Neeson is amongst them and waiting for the right moment to activate his "special skillset".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So I just thought of something really obvious. If some terrorists hijack a plane and does nothing with it for a week or two, you know what they're probably going to do with it? Nothing. Just hide it really well so people keep looking for it. Then while everyone's on the lookout for a plane, you derail some trains, set off carbombs, kill some politicians, just anything like that that has nothing to do with planes because everyone will be busy and focused on trying to find the plane and mostly putting other security matters on the back burner.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

toe knee hand posted:

no one other than malaysia has admitted to detecting the plane, have they? is there anything to suggest that it even left malaysian airspace? that arc from the satellite ping included malaysia too, they just didn't have that bit of it highlighted in red.

i don't think the malaysian government was in on this or anything, but they could have either just completely missed it or missed it until embarrassingly enough later that they were too afraid to admit it (as it would reveal pretty big holes in their national security). what this scenario lacks is motive (for a hijacking) or explanation (for an equipment failure), but it fits with "why the hell did no one else notice a stray 777?"
Yeah... From that map just after your post it should look roughly like this, I think:

Also radar blips can happen, so it may never have done that sharp turn.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Wasn't this an episode of Battlestar Galictica?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it's never found, this thing is going to become a legend passed down from generation to generation. Papa pilots will scare their young'ins into brushing their teeth every night, or else Ghost Plane will snatch you away forever. Camp counsellors will tell tall tales around the fire about how if you listen closely there's still a faint rumble of Ghost Plane flying overhead, always watching us.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So I just thought of something really obvious. If some terrorists hijack a plane and does nothing with it for a week or two, you know what they're probably going to do with it? Nothing. Just hide it really well so people keep looking for it. Then while everyone's on the lookout for a plane, you derail some trains, set off carbombs, kill some politicians, just anything like that that has nothing to do with planes because everyone will be busy and focused on trying to find the plane and mostly putting other security matters on the back burner.
yes this is how the world works indeed

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Not literally everyone is looking for the plane.

Posted from my search and rescue ship in the south china seas

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

slam whale
holy grail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Some US experts are strongly pointing to pilot suicide, but from everything I hear about the captain, he does not sound like the "type". They say he was going into the deepest part if the ocean so the plane would never be found and it could never definitively be ruled suicide, and his family would get insurance. Unfortunately this does kind of passes Occam's razor compared with everything else. But if a guy like this is capable of this kind if calculated evil, help us all.

• Locked thread