Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

It probably is the Iowa, which is parked in San Pedro California (LA Harbor) now. Hence the palm trees.

http://goo.gl/maps/0hDus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is morgan now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Swift GT engine:

Not every failure has to be spectacular.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Swift GT engine:

Not every failure has to be spectacular.

Seen the exact same with our old a Geo Metro. Also I found the valves in the oilpan. Things went badwrong.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Apparently someone on Reddit took pictures of something Sock touched; http://imgur.com/a/sPeQJ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EKDS5k posted:

Alright, I keep lurking in this thread but I finally remembered to take pictures so now I actually have content.

Backstory: Owner thinks the engine overheated yesterday. Doesn't think to check the coolant, tries to run it again today. I think it made a noise and he shut it off. Field tech determined that there was a crack in the radiator and so obviously it had no coolant. Kicks it into the shop for more investigation.

We are not off to a good start...

That fell out of the head when we took it off.

Uhh..

I think you're going to need a new engine...

Just needs a new head and a quick check on the connecting rods, maybe one new piston.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Kotaru posted:

Apparently someone on Reddit took pictures of something Sock touched; http://imgur.com/a/sPeQJ

Sometimes I start thinking that I want to live farther north, to escape the heat and general bigotry of the south. Then I see stuff like that and decide that I can deal with regressive assholes for a few more years.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Fixing cars up here is all about using half a can of PB Blast,then apply heat, smash with hammer, apply huge gently caress off ply bar, impact hammer, by now the bolt is completely hosed so you cut, patch and weld find parts that got damaged collaterally at junk yard. Gotta love book times that never take any of this into consideration.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.
Had this one in the shop recently:

:stare:

Pulled the trans:

Found several more cracks and little holes in the bellhousing. Catastrophic throwout bearing failure. Exploding bearing pieces got trapped between the pressure plate and the bellhousing.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

CommieGIR posted:

Just needs a new head and a quick check on the connecting rods, maybe one new piston.

Not pictured: medium to deep gouges up and down all of the cylinders.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EKDS5k posted:

Oh, yeah its done.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

you are a mechanical failures cocktease

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Kotaru posted:

Looks like my golf. Exhaust decided to free itself.

Haven't fixed it yet because I'm having a really hard timing caring about a 2L Mk4. I want to get rid of it so badly.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Not mine:

I think braking performance has been compromised at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turn it into a wall clock however and you have an awesome conversation piece.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Driver reports that car makes fillings fall out under braking.

States that brakes were done not that long ago, must be suspension or something

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

heyou posted:

Pulled the trans:

Found several more cracks and little holes in the bellhousing. Catastrophic throwout bearing failure. Exploding bearing pieces got trapped between the pressure plate and the bellhousing.

I'll bet it was one of the cheap ones that have a plastic body.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

heyou posted:

My dad had this happen with a <600 mile old Centerforce clutch on his '01 Z28, when one of the weights came off and went rocketing through the bellhousing.

Most expensive 'free' clutch ever.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Haven't fixed it yet because I'm having a really hard timing caring about a 2L Mk4. I want to get rid of it so badly.

Possibly the most uninspiring engine to drive. Ever. I sold mine for that reason alone. I'd buy another, TURBO, Golf/GTI in a heartbeat tho.

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011

Transmission from a Holden Cruze,the boxy faux SUV ones.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

Slavvy posted:

I'll bet it was one of the cheap ones that have a plastic body.

I believe it was, but I don't think that's why it let go. Guy said he hit a curb, and had to pump the clutch to shift afterwards. His slave cylinder piston was almost frozen, it would actually go into gear normally after I replaced it. I warned him I felt a vibration in the clutch pedal when shifting, and there was probably some severe throwout bearing wear. That was a Friday, car came back on the rollback with the hole on Tuesday. It was then he told me that he'd been driving around pumping the clutch 2-3 to,es every time he needed to shift for a MONTH.

No wonder the thing exploded, the pieces I could find of the bearing were blue from the heat. Pilot bearing was smoked, and there's a nice egg shaped wear pattern on the pressure plate fingers. It had to have been making some terrible noises and vibrations before it gave up.

And since I seem to have started a holed drivetrain component streak, there's this one:

Lincoln MKZ Rear Diff. This one I saved, it's sitting in my "Display Case of Mechanical Failures".

I'll post the Mini supercharger I have tomorrow, that's an awesome one. That customer somehow managed to lose a 1/4" screw driver bit down the intake. He made it 30 miles before it jammed between the rotors and the case.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How did hitting a curb (presumably with the wheels) gently caress the slave cylinder that much?

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How did hitting a curb (presumably with the wheels) gently caress the slave cylinder that much?

You tell me. That was the story he told me, and the insurance company. They covered slave cylinder and the exploding TB. No idea how he pulled that off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Perhaps he "hit the curb" while trying to drift by doing repeated clutch kicks and the thing finally seized up on him?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pug Smugly posted:

Transmission from a Holden Cruze,the boxy faux SUV ones.

What's the story on this? One wheel stuck in mud or something?

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011
Not real sure, I wasn't driving it. It is a rural area so it's possible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tater_salad posted:

Driver reports that car makes fillings fall out under braking.

States that brakes were done not that long ago, must be suspension or something

Like they loving notice anything other than "drat brakes squealing..."

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Story goes that the police car was being transported on the trailer. A tank slapper ensued, and the trailer broke free at the coupling, hitting opposing traffic. But good job on the tie downs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Aviation Herald posted:

Accident: Delta B752 near Atlanta on Mar 16th 2014, dropped upper wing panel in flight

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Mar 17th 2014 11:31Z, last updated Monday, Mar 17th 2014 11:31Z
A Delta Airlines Boeing 757-200, registration N675DL performing flight DL-2412 from Orlando,FL to Atlanta,GA (USA) with 179 passengers and 6 crew, was enroute nearing top of descent when a panel on the upper side of the right hand wing came loose, a leak occurred and the aircraft began to buffet. The crew declared emergency and continued to Atlanta where the aircraft landed safely on runway 09L and stopped on the runway.

The airline reported the detached panel did not impair the aircraft's ability to fly. The aircraft landed safely and taxied to the gate. The cause of the panel separating is being investigated.

Passenger photo enroute (Photo: Trevor Sinclair):

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bert, back in Orlando, is sitting at the bar fingering a couple extra bolts in his pocket.

"Well poo poo, where did these come from?"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
"Stolen Viper found in parking lot stripped"

No doubt to feed the burgeoning market for fiberglass fenders and bumpers. :saddowns:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Throatwarbler posted:

No doubt to feed the burgeoning market for fiberglass fenders and bumpers. :saddowns:

The thieves didn't strip it. The thieves did half the work of turning it into an AWESOME go-kart.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You'd think that they'd take some of the better parts like the wheels or.something, I imagine that the engine may be hard to take out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah if they don't want it, I'll take it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Throatwarbler posted:

Who else thinks it looks better like this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Who else thinks it looks better like this?

I'm on that boat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gives it a bit of an Ariel Atom vibe, which is a good thing. Just needs to shed even more body panels and that pesky windshield to really seal the deal.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

This is me approximately one minute after leaving my garage in GTA V.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wish they'd dump it near me so I could grab the wiring harness, ECU, engine, and transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Throatwarbler posted:

Not shocked. Those front ends are amazingly loving expensive. 5k or more, at least for the older models. Its a pretty lucrative market, between what they're worth and how often people dong them into poo poo.