Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I'll be in Japan in about three weeks, and I'm really excited about it. Less excited about the prospect of getting the film developed and then scanning it, though.

Are there any special considerations for taking film in and out of the country? I'm bringing a bunch of slow slide film (Velvia 50 & 100) which I've read should be okay, but will my Portra 400 fare as well? I'll be keeping all my film and my camera in carry-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

It will be fine. You can always load it in clear ziplock bags and ask screeners to check it by hand instead of putting it through the x-ray.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The ME Super is here! Both the body and the 50mm lens were BGN condition from KEH, but I'm extremely impressed with the looks. The only blemishes on the body seem to be a little scratching around the Pentax logo, while the lens looks pretty much perfect except for the engraved number on the bottom.

I'm in the middle of the first, "test" roll of film, which I hope to finish up tonight and tomorrow morning, then take it over to the Walgreens in the morning. Assuming the prints come back ok (no light leaks etc), I'll load up a fresh roll and try to shoot my fiance's birthday party that afternoon.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You gonna be down in Kyushu any on this trip?

I'll be in Fukuoka Monday night and around most of the week.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got my first roll developed today. Mostly it was random bullshit taken to fill up the roll, but I got lucky on one particular attempt: a quick shot of my fiance, taken in my living room. She's in focus, the background is attractively blurred, and the lighting is about right.

I'd like to get that picture, and possibly one or two other decent shots, onto the computer somehow. I took the film to Walgreens, so I have negatives and prints. I don't have a scanner or a DSLR. I do have a 10 year old digital point-and-shoot and my Nexus 4. What's the best way to get some rough digital version suitable for Facebook or something? I saw someone mention sticking the negatives on a monitor to grab with a point-and-shoot, but thanks to WaffleImages I couldn't see the results.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Find a cheap film-capable flatbed scanner (backlight in the lid) on Craigslist or whatever, and use that. Epson's line-up from a few (7-10) years ago is fine for the task. I've got a Perfection 3170, it does the job, and cost me $20 a couple of years ago.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I got an epson 4870 from 2005 for only $40 and it's amazing. Just keep an eye out and try to avoid settling for something lovely because you want instant gratification. I went through 2 film scanners before that and could not get anything remotely in focus out of them.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I went to buy some Arista Premium 35mm and learned that as of last fall there is no more being made due to the change of ownership with Kodak. As of then freestyle apparently had >100,000 24-shot rolls but they're sold out of the 36 shot already. Dunno what the deal is with other formats but supply is probably similarly limited.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spime Wrangler posted:

I went to buy some Arista Premium 35mm and learned that as of last fall there is no more being made due to the change of ownership with Kodak. As of then freestyle apparently had >100,000 24-shot rolls but they're sold out of the 36 shot already. Dunno what the deal is with other formats but supply is probably similarly limited.

Arista Premium is the only Kodak rebrand, the medium format stuff is all EDU which is Foma.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I got my first roll developed today. Mostly it was random bullshit taken to fill up the roll, but I got lucky on one particular attempt: a quick shot of my fiance, taken in my living room. She's in focus, the background is attractively blurred, and the lighting is about right.

I'd like to get that picture, and possibly one or two other decent shots, onto the computer somehow. I took the film to Walgreens, so I have negatives and prints. I don't have a scanner or a DSLR. I do have a 10 year old digital point-and-shoot and my Nexus 4. What's the best way to get some rough digital version suitable for Facebook or something? I saw someone mention sticking the negatives on a monitor to grab with a point-and-shoot, but thanks to WaffleImages I couldn't see the results.

If you use Walgreens, they can also burn your pictures onto a CD after developing, if I remember correctly. This might at least be an option in the beginning if you'd like to either share particular things or just have them on the computer either way, without having to go all-in straight away and start scanning them on your own.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

If you use Walgreens, they can also burn your pictures onto a CD after developing, if I remember correctly. This might at least be an option in the beginning if you'd like to either share particular things or just have them on the computer either way, without having to go all-in straight away and start scanning them on your own.

That's a good idea. I didn't opt for the CD because I didn't expect any decent shots out of the roll, but in the end there's about 5 that I'm pretty happy with and the one that I really love.

I took the camera to my fiance's birthday party yesterday and shot most of the roll there. I've seen mention in this thread of some system whereby you put your film in an envelope at Walmart and they ship it off to a processing company rather than do a 1-hour themselves. Is this any good, or is it better/more cost effective to send your film directly to a processor? I'd like to give this roll a fighting chance at being developed and scanned nicely since the photo content actually matters. Walgreens seems to have done OK on the last roll but I've seen enough horror stories in this thread about inconsistent 1-hour drug stores.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey everyone, I'm taking a film class right now and this weekend will be my first assignment, the teacher said "Just go shoot poo poo". Is it cool if I post the results here? I'm actually nervous about developing, worried I'll botch the whole job.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That's what this thread is for!

I only recently developed my first roll as well. I thought I'd botch the whole thing, didn't have temperatures exactly right, etc, but it turned out pretty good anyway. I think B&W processing is fairly forgiving.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BANME.sh posted:

That's what this thread is for!

I only recently developed my first roll as well. I thought I'd botch the whole thing, didn't have temperatures exactly right, etc, but it turned out pretty good anyway. I think B&W processing is fairly forgiving.

It's really really forgiving because a negative is not a finished image, it's the equivalent of a RAW file. Good algorithms can make something usable out of a pretty lovely RAW image and the physics of film are even more forgiving. The data in a really overexposed RAW is just gone, but there's an exponential "shoulder" on film that tends to compress high tones into a narrow but usable dynamic range. You have a lot of control over how the image on the film comes out through the development process, which you just can't do on digital (excepting things like the split-ISO pixel modes on some new cameras)

You then "convert" the negative by scanning or wet printing, and both methods can get images off some really horrendous negatives. The techniques are actually totally analogous. Well-exposed negatives can be scanned in one go by properly setting the white/grey/black points on the histogram, analogous to standard graded printing (exposure plus grade/contrast). If you have a negative that is super-duper contrasty you can scan the highlights in one image and the shadows in another, which is analogous to split-grade filter printing.

If you're willing to work at it a little you can get an image off basically any negative. This means that it's really hard to critically gently caress up the development process. I've trashed exactly one roll of film during development in my life, and that was by failing to properly clean the tank before development. I'm pretty sure some photo-flo residue was still in there and I got a foam pattern on my negative. And I've done some hilariously dumb poo poo in my time, like mixing the fixer at 1:3 instead of 1:7 and all kinds of other dilution/time/temperature/agitation mistakes, no big deal. The riskiest part is honestly loading the reels. It's not difficult to crinkle medium format film during the loading stage if your reels aren't fully dry or the air is really humid, I've messed up a few individual shots that way.

By the way someone asked about finding Rodinal a bit earlier. Rodinal is an Agfa brand name and I don't think you will have much luck finding it directly (maybe in Europe). Lots of places carry the same chemicals under different brand names, for example I buy "Compard R09" from Freestyle and there's also "Adox Adinol", "Blazinol", etc. Same stuff. I'm not turning up any Amazon results either, unfortunately. I prefer Rodinal but if you can't find it Kodak HC-110B can be used in pretty much the same way. Beware, the bottles do tend to split at the seams after a couple of years.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 18, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'll just leave this here...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/wan/4380586164.html

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Well, good thing I switched away from using a rangefinder, now I can blame my camera for my bad photos.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Pec-12 is stupidly expensive here (like $35 a 4oz bottle from the only place nearby that stocks it). Anyone know of any alternatives to unfuck your negs after you brilliantly drop them on the wet shower floor?

Shellman posted:

What does everyone scan to format-wise when they scan their negatives? I'd rather have a more managable filesize than 110 MBs (but maybe that's normal for medium format?), but scanning as jpgs seems to give me some really bad artifacts that get worsened by any post/touch-up I do in lightroom.

I use Vuescan to do a linear(ish) scan @ 4800dpi/48bit, downsized 2:1 and saved as 'raw' (which is really just a tif). 6x6 comes in around 150mb with a spotting and a color correction layer. But you could flatten it to get under a hundred, do all your lightroom adjustments and then jpeg it and 9 or 10.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 20, 2014

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
What does everyone scan to format-wise when they scan their negatives? I'd rather have a more managable filesize than 110 MBs (but maybe that's normal for medium format?), but scanning as jpgs seems to give me some really bad artifacts that get worsened by any post/touch-up I do in lightroom.

fake edit: guess my avatar is appropriate

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Shellman posted:

fake edit: guess my avatar is appropriate

Scan to giant TIFF and delete them when you are done. Unless by manageable you mean your computer will choke on large files, but my middle of the road Dell handles 500mb TIFFs with ease.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
So yesterday I decided to process a roll of film using metal reels. I took my time making sure I could get it right with a test roll lying around my school's darkroom, but after processing I was still greeted by those drat gray patches at the end of the roll.

Those metal reels are the work of the devil, I swear it, but I will master those drat things.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Hewes brand metal reels are so much better, I don't understand how, but they are.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

drat, you pay a premium for that, that's almost as much as a development tank at B&H. I was just there too, and I could've sworn they only had the plastic reels on the sales floor.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I don't know if they are Hewes but I have some stainless reels that look like that that a coworker gave me. If anyone wants them, I can go take some pictures tonight. I also have metal tanks to go with them, but I don't trust them. If someone wants them I'd let them go for the cost of shipping and packaging. I'm only posting this in case I do actually have something people want that is literally sitting unused. The tanks are pretty grimy and may not seal. I think the previous owner left them with developer in them.

I have a set of Patterson ranks and reels that I use.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

well, if they're stainless they should just wash right out. I'mma wait for those picks tho and stalk the gear for sale thread.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Keep an eye out on sites like APUG too. The 35mm/120 reels come up pretty frequently.

Now what I'd really like is one of the fancy stainless Nikor 4x5 tanks, but those are rare and cost a pretty penny when they come up.

Yeah, stainless is inert so they should clean up fine. Try soaking them in an industrial degreaser (f.ex Purple Power), then rub it with steel wool. If it's super gunky try applying it straight. Either way use gloves or it'll do a number on your skin. Be careful if there's rubber seals anywhere, but from what I remember most steel tanks mostly just seal up with tight tolerances.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 20, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
What's the benefit of stainless steel? I do fine with the plastic ones, apart from one horror experience where my hands got too sweaty and it took half an hour to get the film onto the reel.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

deaders posted:

What's the benefit of stainless steel? I do fine with the plastic ones, apart from one horror experience where my hands got too sweaty and it took half an hour to get the film onto the reel.

They don't need to dry between uses, i.e. avoids the sticky film issue you mention. Overall easier to clean. Different method of loading, you may prefer one or the other. It's probably easier to load 120 onto steel reels than onto small-flange Paterson reels.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Pec-12 is stupidly expensive here (like $35 a 4oz bottle from the only place nearby that stocks it). Anyone know of any alternatives to unfuck your negs after you brilliantly drop them on the wet shower floor?
Rewash them and hang them to dry? (Beware of extra curl) You can also try Everclear, but I haven't really used it for film cleaning much.

If it's really looking bad, I sometimes wash hosed up color negatives in B&W fixer. Seems to vaporize!!! ...dissolve whatever came from the lab tech's fingers. that poo poo that reacts with my lighter fluid in unholy ways.

deaders posted:

Easier to clean. Something about temperature. I have had more troubles with plastic tanks than steel tanks.

Understanding posted:

drat, you pay a premium for that, that's almost as much as a development tank at B&H. I was just there too, and I could've sworn they only had the plastic reels on the sales floor.

They nerfed their darkroom section, but they still have everything... somewhere.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Short tank says Simmon Omega Made in Japan on the bottom, no cap. Tall one just says Made in Japan. No info on the reels. You guys get to see my ugly chemstained table! Also looks like I left fixer in my trays (haven't used the darkroom in a while).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So when Walgreens develops my film, they return the negatives rolled up tightly. This seems like a decent way to protect them against dust and scratching, but I'm wondering about long-term curving effects in the film. Is it better to just unroll it, cut into strips of 5, and stick in a binder?

I got a CD of scans in addition my prints. Right now they have a $2 processing discount (code 6096, good until April 2) so the whole deal comes out a bit cheaper.

Here are my favorites from this roll (my second):

The scans (and the pictures) look pretty grainy, but I prefer grainy to pixelated so I'm reasonably happy.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Pham Nuwen posted:

So when Walgreens develops my film, they return the negatives rolled up tightly. This seems like a decent way to protect them against dust and scratching, but I'm wondering about long-term curving effects in the film. Is it better to just unroll it, cut into strips of 5, and stick in a binder?

In the end that's what I did. It's far easier for me to find a neg in a transparent sheet in a binder than going through rolls. Also, this way they're less prone to scratches.
Good job with your second roll. I like the flowers pic, very chilled atmosphere with the people in background defocused and relaxed, although I would have tried to recover some highlights on the flowers themselves.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

So what are still "good" film cameras "these days"?

I want to get one to toy around with... I was looking into the Nikon FM as there are a few for sale locally (one with a 135mm f2.8 for $125), but wasn't sure if there are better for cheaper, etc.

I'll probably shoot mostly B&W film and only with prime lenses if it matters.

emotive fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 21, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

maxmars posted:

Good job with your second roll. I like the flowers pic, very chilled atmosphere with the people in background defocused and relaxed, although I would have tried to recover some highlights on the flowers themselves.

I really like the flower picture too. I didn't do any post-processing on that picture, just uploaded the image as it came on the CD. When you say "recover some highlights", do you mean doing something at the time of shooting, or by applying some post-processing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

emotive posted:

Canon EOS-1v :getin:

Serious answer: Pentax ME Super, Canon EOS5

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

emotive posted:

I want to get one to toy around with... I was looking into the Nikon FM as there are a few for sale locally (one with a 135mm f2.8 for $125), but wasn't sure if there are better for cheaper, etc.

Nikon FM/FM2, Nikkormats, Pentax ME/Super, Pentax MX are pretty much the top tier in my opinion. OM-4(Ti) is supposed to be pretty nice. Nikon F/F2 are pretty classy. The Pentax LX is nice, just way too expensive for what it is.

Apart from the ME, which is dirt cheap, there's really not a whole lot of difference in cost between those models. You're going to pay around $75 for most of that tier of cameras. I don't know if I would take that specific deal, the FM normally goes for $60 and the 135/2.8 goes for $35 to $60 depending on version (with a 6 month warranty thrown in) so it's a middling to bad deal even if you wanted that particular lens. I'd get a 50mm and a wide first myself, or the 105/2.5 if you really want something long-ish.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nikon FM/FM2, Nikkormats, Pentax ME/Super, Pentax MX are pretty much the top tier in my opinion. OM-4(Ti) is supposed to be pretty nice. Nikon F/F2 are pretty classy. The Pentax LX is nice, just way too expensive for what it is.

Apart from the ME, which is dirt cheap, there's really not a whole lot of difference in cost between those models. You're going to pay around $75 for most of that tier of cameras. I don't know if I would take that specific deal, the FM normally goes for $60 and the 135/2.8 goes for $35 to $60 depending on version (with a 6 month warranty thrown in) so it's a middling to bad deal even if you wanted that particular lens. I'd get a 50mm and a wide first myself, or the 105/2.5 if you really want something long-ish.

Good info, thanks!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I'm looking at a cheap pair of Omega D2 enlargers tomorrow. Of course, if I have enlargers, I'll need somewhere to print... so now the question.

I've got a spare bedroom that's being used for storage. It has two windows and two doors which tend to leak light top, bottom, and sides. With a little work I could probably black out the windows, and if I turn off every other light in the house (I live alone) I don't see any light coming around the door (at night). It also has one of those light switches that's lit when you turn off the lights, but since the light is faint and orange it would only be a problem for undeveloped film, not for paper.

The other option is the basement. It's quite small and I don't really use it for anything:

^ There's another window like that immediately to the right of where I was standing

And there's some really outstanding wiring down there:

There's also a full-sized window at the top of the stairs.

Unfortunately I don't have windowless rooms in my house. There are two walk-in closets in the master bedroom, and one is big enough (and empty enough) that I could probably fit a small desk in there. With the bedroom door closed, lights off, and the closet door closed, I can't see any light leaking around the door. Would I be poisoning myself with fumes if I work in such a small place, though?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pham Nuwen posted:

Unfortunately I don't have windowless rooms in my house. There are two walk-in closets in the master bedroom, and one is big enough (and empty enough) that I could probably fit a small desk in there. With the bedroom door closed, lights off, and the closet door closed, I can't see any light leaking around the door. Would I be poisoning myself with fumes if I work in such a small place, though?

If you're worried, get a rotary development system. It works like film, you expose it in a darkroom, put it in light-tight tubes and develop in the light.

e: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

Even if you can't see any light there may be a bit. It takes a bit for your eyes to adjust enough to notice.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 22, 2014

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So I'm looking at a cheap pair of Omega D2 enlargers tomorrow. Of course, if I have enlargers, I'll need somewhere to print... so now the question.

I've got a spare bedroom that's being used for storage. It has two windows and two doors which tend to leak light top, bottom, and sides. With a little work I could probably black out the windows, and if I turn off every other light in the house (I live alone) I don't see any light coming around the door (at night). It also has one of those light switches that's lit when you turn off the lights, but since the light is faint and orange it would only be a problem for undeveloped film, not for paper.

The other option is the basement. It's quite small and I don't really use it for anything:

^ There's another window like that immediately to the right of where I was standing

And there's some really outstanding wiring down there:

There's also a full-sized window at the top of the stairs.

I'd love to see some discussion on this because I'm in a similar situation - I have a cellar with a small window that I'd ideally like to black out and convert to ventilation in one go. I could have sworn that there was a printing thread but I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

emotive posted:

Shameless plug: I am selling a good Nikon film camera and prime lens in the classified thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&userid=83493&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post427062649

Errr, it's not cheaper than an FM but it's better (F3 supremacy).