Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sire Oblivion posted:

3rd party support that went with Nintendo consoles up to the GameCube was fantastic, not so much here. I'm kind of glad that it's a barren so I don't have to spend any money on it. It's served me for my 400+ hours in Monster Hunter and I've gotten my month's worth.

Until the Gamecube? Nintendo alienated most 3rd parties with the N64 due to it being a pain to program on and carts being expensive to produce compared to the PSX and it's CD's. The N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U only really have 3rd party support from Ubisoft and EA, and sometimes even have the best versions of Ubisoft games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Gamecube actually had a lot of support for a Nintendo system in its early days, granted it was mostly mid-level to shovelware but it included some of the bigger games too. It was only once it became clear that cube users tended not to buy many third party titles (and Xbox users brought a lot of them) that PS2 only and PS2/Xbox only started becoming the norm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kirios posted:

Eh, bar the Virtual Boy Nintendo's had a good track record of supporting their devices. Lets not spell doom and gloom for it quite yet. It will never beat the Xbox One and PS4 in sales, sure, but do we really care about that? As long as it sells well enough that Nintendo keeps making games for it that's all we need, and I feel that's already happening. First party games are selling 2+ million units on this device and it's hard to turn down that much money. Give me 3-5 games a year that I want to play on Wii U, rest I'll use my PC for and I'm happy. That's all I need for this thing.

One first party game sold 2 million + units which is the problem. 3-5 games looks pretty optimistic at this point although I'd love to be proven wrong.

I've got a PS4 and a PC so I'm not going to be running out of stuff to play anytime soon but it's certainly not a case where I can shrug and go "oh, well, I guess it's not a big deal." I feel the same about about my Vita to be fair. I want good games to continue to come out. I've got a bunch of games for my Wii U that I've enjoyed a hell of a lot, but the future's looking pretty barren. We'll see if E3 changes that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 17, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ImpAtom posted:

One first party game sold 2 million + units which is the problem. 3-5 games looks pretty optimistic at this point although I'd love to be proven wrong.

I've got a PS4 and a PC so I'm not going to be running out of stuff to play anytime soon but it's certainly not a case where I can shrug and go "oh, well, I guess it's not a big deal." I feel the same about about my Vita to be fair. I want good games to continue to come out. I've got a bunch of games for my Wii U that I've enjoyed a hell of a lot, but the future's looking pretty barren. We'll see if E3 changes that.
It's mid March, anything not already in the works for E3 is not likely to be ready by June.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Wii Fit U, is there a Goon Gym Community set up? Or just a Wii Fit thread I'm not seeing anywhere?

Depends on where you live, but here you go.

Wii Fit (EU)
Shut up dad, minigames ARE exercise!
Gym Community ID: 4694-1383-4186

LowTaxLowEffort (NA)
Full of judgement and cheeto dust.
Gym Community ID: 1786-3632-8641

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
All I know is that there haven't been that many compelling reasons to get a PS4 or Xbone because all the games I could want are coming out on PC, whereas the Wii U passed my arbitrary limit of "number of games worth buying" even before those other consoles came out. I'm only bummed out by its poor performance because I'm afraid it means we won't get too many things after Smash Bros. But what the heck - Smash alone will justify the whole console even if it's the last game ever released for it.

I just don't see Nintendo going third-party if this console actually does poorly enough that it takes them out of the game. Feels like they'd rather go down with the ship than bear to release a Mario or Zelda on Xbox.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
As a publicly traded company going down with the ship is not an option. Their studios and IP will be auctioned off if it ever comes to that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elliotw2 posted:

Until the Gamecube? Nintendo alienated most 3rd parties with the N64 due to it being a pain to program on and carts being expensive to produce compared to the PSX and it's CD's. The N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U only really have 3rd party support from Ubisoft and EA, and sometimes even have the best versions of Ubisoft games.

I've spoken to developers, and trust me, the Wii U is also a giant pain in the rear end to program with as well.

Also, EA dropped almost all, if not all, support for the Wii U last I recall. Maybe I misheard and it was just the department I was talking to.

That said, as a non-developer, I really enjoy the system. Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, Lego City, Super Mario 3D World, they're all awesome games, and you simply can not find them on any other system. I find myself playing my PS3 less and less these days, and the only reason I've turned it on in recent memory is because of Dark Souls 2, which is coming out on PC in a month anyway (I'm just impatient). And the PS4 is just barren for me at the moment, don't even know when I'll be picking one up.

I just wish Nintendo as a hardware developer would get their heads out of their asses and learn how to create a console that isn't a giant pain to use (for both developer and consumer - why are accounts still locked to a system, wtf is this)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Indie developers say it takes them like literally a week to get their games running on WiiU, but they are using simpler tools and have less requirements I'm sure.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I remember Kamiya saying that developing for Wii U was pretty much the same as developing for PS3/360

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

greatn posted:

Indie developers say it takes them like literally a week to get their games running on WiiU, but they are using simpler tools and have less requirements I'm sure.

Yeah, the biggest problem is optimization, from what I've heard, which is pretty important on the weakest console of this generation, when all you're trying to do is port games instead of creating them specifically for the system.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I remember Kamiya saying that developing for Wii U was pretty much the same as developing for PS3/360

Huh, well, don't take what I say as gospel, that's just me talking to someone who was in charge of a very specific part of development. If what Kamiya says is true, maybe some companies are just lazy (I'm willing to bet this is the case a lot of the time)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, all the indies I've spoken to (and that includes indies with AAA experience and/or indies that loving hated WiiWare) have nothing but good things to say about the dev environment, but I suppose they're coming at it from a different angle and with differing expectations about what the hardware should do.

The big complaints are pretty consistent: one, they don't like having to resubmit/reclassify their game for each region, and two, they're worried about the install base generally, but even that point is mitigated by how low-risk it can be to release your game if it's built with Unity.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Helps that the Wii U has since enabled Unity, plus being out for a while means Indies have had more of a chance to get familiar with the hardware, if they don't get a dev kit prior to launch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure the Indie game scene is like the one area where NOA has some form of autonomy, which is why it's honestly superior to the state of the virtual console right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The big deal with Unity support isn't just that Unity games run on Wii U, it's that Nintendo has a deal in place that means most of the fees associated with Unity licensing are gone, meaning you can release your stuff on the eShop very cheaply. You don't even have to pay a dev kit anymore, as far as I know; you can loan them for free as long as you return them within a certain timeframe, or you can give Nintendo a bigger cut on your sales in lieu of upfront payment.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

jivjov posted:

It's not supposed to be a tablet though...it's a video game controller. You're not word processing or e-mail checking with it, and it's not a dedicated gaming device. It's a supplement for the Wii U itself, and there's been some really clever uses for it. The Luigi's Mansion game in Nintendo Land is a perfect example of asymmetric gameplay you couldn't get with regular controllers.

Yeah, that's cool and all, but the novelty of the game pad wears off once the initial newness of the system wears off and you realize it's just a big clunky tablet which they haven't been able to innovate with since Nintendo Land.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The big deal with Unity support isn't just that Unity games run on Wii U, it's that Nintendo has a deal in place that means most of the fees associated with Unity licensing are gone, meaning you can release your stuff on the eShop very cheaply. You don't even have to pay a dev kit anymore, as far as I know; you can loan them for free as long as you return them within a certain timeframe, or you can give Nintendo a bigger cut on your sales in lieu of upfront payment.

Yeah, you can order a dev kit from Nintendo for a miniscule down payment and then you have some amount of time to send it back, and if you go past that time frame you still have a good amount of time before you actually need to pay for the thing. An indie developer could reasonably develop most of their game using regular unity then when the time comes to actually work with the second screen and Wii U controls they could order a dev kit and return it before they need to pay anything. The only cost to a smart dev is the time they spend working on the port.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, that's cool and all, but the novelty of the game pad wears off once the initial newness of the system wears off and you realize it's just a big clunky tablet which they haven't been able to innovate with since Nintendo Land.

It's...not a big clunky tablet though. There's some really cool things being done with even the two games I've played so far. Wind Waker especially has been great. Even if the Gamepad's just used as a map it's nice to be able to orient yourself that way without having to pause the game every single time (I'm especially bad about this in open world games).

Better yet, the ability to play the games on that screen without needing the TV is something I've already used about six times in the now four days I've owned the console. I think it's a tad ridiculous to call it a "big clunky tablet." I honestly don't think I will want to get a Pro Controller. Wind Waker plays perfectly fine with it as does New Super Mario Bros. U.

I *hated* the Wii. I hate waggling with a Wii Mote. I thought it was dumb and a stupid gimmick from day one. But I still really like Nintendo games. The Wii U, for that alone, is perfect.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I'm still kind of waiting for them to put out a game other than Nintendo Land that proves the Gamepad's existence as essential, considering it eats up a third of the manufacturing costs. They made a big deal out of the asymmetrical multiplayer experience and then they didn't put out an asymmetrical multiplayer game where anyone would want to have the Gamepad, although there are a couple of interesting ideas in Nintendo Land. You'd think that with one of their signature franchises they'd have come up with something better than a car horn. In NSMB it's like.. you can be the babysitter! Yeah that's..... that's really.. fun :geno:

Even if you like the Gamepad you have to admit it feels like an optional accessory that's been forced on you. Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo about it anymore and their 2014 games are putting in a very minimal amount of effort to integrate it.

e: This discussion probably belongs in the other thread, though, so I don't want to derail things much further.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 17, 2014

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I'm still saying they should bring Pac Man Vs. over to the Wii U. It would be perfect with the gamepad and 3 wiimotes/classic controllers.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm still kind of waiting for them to put out a game other than Nintendo Land that proves the Gamepad's existence as essential, considering it eats up a third of the manufacturing costs. They made a big deal out of the asymmetrical multiplayer experience and then they didn't put out an asymmetrical multiplayer game where anyone would want to have the Gamepad, although there are a couple of interesting ideas in Nintendo Land. You'd think that with one of their signature franchises they'd have come up with something better than a car horn. In NSMB it's like.. you can be the babysitter! Yeah that's..... that's really.. fun :geno:

Even if you like the Gamepad you have to admit it feels like an optional accessory that's been forced on you. Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo about it anymore and their 2014 games are putting in a very minimal amount of effort to integrate it.

e: This discussion probably belongs in the other thread, though.

If you're the babysitter in NSMB instead of causing more plumber death than Bowser could ever hope to achieve, you're doing it wrong. Trying to defy the wrath of an angry, stage-controlling god is half the fun of that game.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At this point in the game, why would anyone ever buy NSMBU? NSLU is literally the same game for half the price and with harder levels. I realized this at the game store when checking things out.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

At this point in the game, why would anyone ever buy NSMBU? NSLU is literally the same game for half the price and with harder levels. I realized this at the game store when checking things out.

I guess NSMBU would be a better co-op experience if you aren't into the absolute clusterfuck of doing co-op on NSLBU (which is fun but probably not for everybody).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PerrineClostermann posted:

Um, it has different levels first of all? Also I don't think NSLU has the Challenge or time trial or coin race modes, which is over half the game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

jivjov posted:

It's a bit annoying to get home from work at midnight, sync my Fit Meter and have the balance board tell me "oh hey, you really shouldn't stay up so late...."

In your profile, you can tell the game to make the end of the day 3am instead of midnight. I dont know if the board stops complaining about you being up late, but at least itll record your info the way you want.

Edit: Yeah Luigi U is probably better but it doesnt completely invalidate Mario U or anything.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh, the last Mario game I played was New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. I'm hankering for some more 2D Mario and both those games are right up my alley. I think of Mario U as warming me up for Luigi U. :getin:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Kirios posted:

Eh, the last Mario game I played was New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. I'm hankering for some more 2D Mario and both those games are right up my alley. I think of Mario U as warming me up for Luigi U. :getin:
Super Luigi is not that much more difficult than Mario, honestly; they end up at a pretty similar level of difficulty towards the end of their respective games. It's just that Luigi U starts out in a slightly more difficult place, whereas in NSMBU, the first couple of levels serve as a set of super-easy tutorial levels.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PrBacterio posted:

Super Luigi is not that much more difficult than Mario, honestly; they end up at a pretty similar level of difficulty towards the end of their respective games. It's just that Luigi U starts out in a slightly more difficult place, whereas in NSMBU, the first couple of levels serve as a set of super-easy tutorial levels.

If you just want to race to beating boswer, NSLU is perhaps easier (faster anyway) if you are any kind of platform gamer. I'm finding it quite a bit trickier to actually find and collect all the thingies, though. It's been a looong long time since I've even paid attention to my lives counter in a Mario game other than to be annoyed when I max it out and still get "rewarded" with 1-ups. I've been nervous about it more than once in NSLU trying to get all the big coins before earning save anytime and re-obsoleting the lives system.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

I can't really disagree that we haven't seen a whole lot of super innovative uses of the game pad, but I will again reiterate, its not supposed to be a tablet. Its a video game controller with a built in screen. Wind Waker HD had the most convenient map/menu usage setup I've ever experienced due to putting all that stuff down on the pad. I don't have to pause to switch out an item, and there's not a big ol' map blocking off part of the screen.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

I can't really disagree that we haven't seen a whole lot of super innovative uses of the game pad, but I will again reiterate, its not supposed to be a tablet. Its a video game controller with a built in screen. Wind Waker HD had the most convenient map/menu usage setup I've ever experienced due to putting all that stuff down on the pad. I don't have to pause to switch out an item, and there's not a big ol' map blocking off part of the screen.

Seconding this. Wind Waker HD has completely convinced me of the potential of that screen.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Only thing that would've made WWHD better would be the ability to write notes on the map(s)

What if I want to mark which platforms/subs I've finished Nintendo?? Geez

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Only thing that would've made WWHD better would be the ability to write notes on the map(s)

What if I want to mark which platforms/subs I've finished Nintendo?? Geez

...Adding dungeon crawlers to my list of games that should work amazingly well (in theory) with the Wii U gamepad, yet don't see much implementation.

Seriously, a dungeon exploration game where, thanks to the pad, you can and have to write down and take proper notes about your discoveries. Unless I'm missing an example of that already in use, I'd think that could work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

...Adding dungeon crawlers to my list of games that should work amazingly well (in theory) with the Wii U gamepad, yet don't see much implementation.

Seriously, a dungeon exploration game where, thanks to the pad, you can and have to write down and take proper notes about your discoveries. Unless I'm missing an example of that already in use, I'd think that could work.

I would say the biggest issue there is that dungeon crawlers are a niche genre and you could release them on the 3DS for a much lower budget and get the same effect as Etrian Odyssey kind fo does.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I'm almost exclusively going to be buying games on disc as opposed to downloading them, would buying an 8gb console vs the 32gb be a bad idea? I'd like to save a bit of money if possible, but I don't know how much DLC the average game has/will have. I've got a PC & 360 and I'd say 90% of the games I'd be playing would be Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong type stuff, with an occasional VC game mixed in.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I don't know if you can even find a 8 GB one anymore, but really it doesn't matter if you don't plan on downloading games. At worst you'll have to plug in a flash drive eventually, not a big deal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I'm almost exclusively going to be buying games on disc as opposed to downloading them, would buying an 8gb console vs the 32gb be a bad idea? I'd like to save a bit of money if possible, but I don't know how much DLC the average game has/will have. I've got a PC & 360 and I'd say 90% of the games I'd be playing would be Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong type stuff, with an occasional VC game mixed in.

Most first party games on Wii U to DL are usually 1-2GB. Donkey Kong is 11GB though. I'd get a 8GB if you still can for a good deal and just plug in flash drives.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was laughing at dudes being mad at the yoshi gimmick till I opened it up and saw that screenshot. Looking at bobsled yoshi just cemented it in my mind that the team that did the New yoshi's island had absolutely no idea what made the original so charming.

I was so disappointed about that. I seriously love the first game. It's just so good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Would it be a good idea to just get some 64 gig flashdrive and keep Donkey Kong there?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's what I'd do. No reason it wouldn't work fine unless it's a poo poo flash drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'd argue NintendoLand is top 3 one of the best launch titles of "next-gen," and is probably why Nintendo was baffled when it didn't take off like Wii Sports did. It looks great. Monita is a great character, making the most out of the huge amount of time you'll be spending with her. It essentialy puts all the ideas Wii Sports pitched originally, and uses them so effortlessly, they're taken for granted. The Zelda game alone can set you back hours.

But the problem is the online multiplayer omission. They want to hit hardcore gamers, then leave online out of their two big launch releases. Killed the hope real quick. Nintendo thought they were gonna be on Oprah again, and they didn't even put in the work to do it.

• Locked thread