Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

My favorite way to do green beans is stir fried. If you're willing to make it a small project, Sichuan dry fried green beans are the best green bean. Example recipe: http://food52.com/recipes/20767-fuchsia-dunlop-s-sichuanese-dry-fried-green-beans

And don't get canned vegetables other than tomatoes, that'll gently caress you up. If they're not in season, frozen green beans are the best option.

I can only barely stand canned tomatoes. Why do they smell so horrible? Thanks for the recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There is no suggestion for "I don't like the texture of raw vegetables" that be solved in any way other than eating enough raw vegetables that you are used to the texture. Start eating salad, every day. Just lettuce and tomatoes and carrots or whatever. Eat it until you don't hate it and then eat it until you like it. Man up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FishBulb posted:

There is no suggestion for "I don't like the texture of raw vegetables" that be solved in any way other than eating enough raw vegetables that you are used to the texture. Start eating salad, every day. Just lettuce and tomatoes and carrots or whatever. Eat it until you don't hate it and then eat it until you like it. Man up.

I assumed I could just cook them or something. The last time I tried to eat some raw broccoli I puked and I'm not really in the market for that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You can but it still won't solve your problem of being put off by the texture. Being able to consume a raw vegetable without vomiting seems like something an adult should be able to do. Start with easy, small ones and move on to advanced ones like broccoli.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Celery is nearly flavorless and is nice and crunchy, might be a good gateway for raw vegetables. Salad's good too, and carrots.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

GreyPowerVan posted:

I assumed I could just cook them or something. The last time I tried to eat some raw broccoli I puked and I'm not really in the market for that.

Raw broccoli is gross. It can taste quite farty unless you do something good with it.

I can't think of anything similar to those peas other than other peas. If they're something you like, start adding them to things all the time - peas can go into most pasta dishes, for example. It's important to make sure you're getting at least some regular vegetable action until you expand your palate a bit more.

As FishBulb said, eat salad. You can make dressings that drown out the taste without adding too much 'badness' - balsamic vinegar and a bit of oil being the most basic. Try to acclimatise yourself, it will work. I know this because I was about your age when I decided to stop being such a baby about vegetables, and made some but not drastic progress until I had to live with my partner's parents for a couple of months. They are BIG on health food. Soon enough I got used to the vegetabley-ness of veg, after being exposed for a while. As I said, it takes determination but you can do it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

I've used dried and it's okay. The defining flavour is really the dried limes.

Are dried limes supposed to be pretty bitter? I mean a tea kind of bitter, with the tannin flavor. I put one in a pot of beans, and it seemed to be going ok. I squished it at the end, and when I tasted the beans they were fairly bitter, enough that it was off-putting. Was it because I squished the dried lime after cooking so all the weird stuff on the inside came out?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Broccoli is a tricky one. I started eating more veggies after I started roasting carrots and brussel sprouts and asparagus and then moved on to raw veggies and salads more after finding greens that I could enjoy vs ones that I didn't.

Edit: Raw red pepper slices and hummus is pretty mild and easy to stomach if you want to start with raw stuff.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sjurygg posted:

I've used dried and it's okay. The defining flavour is really the dried limes.

Oh poo poo, I didn't think about the limes. I don't have those limes either. What can I use instead of :(

e: vvv vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 16, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does anyone happen to have the old chili thread handy (not archives), or just the spice measurements for the America's Test Kitchen Cincinnati chili? I know all what's in it, but the hard drive I had my recipes on died and I don't feel like experimenting too much tonight.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Haha "remove garlic" after adding one clove.

Flavor is the Midwest's arch enemy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

Haha "remove garlic" after adding one clove.

Flavor is the Midwest's arch enemy.

They must've been told that garlic evolved from something.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I don't drink coffee, and can't start because the caffeine does horrible things to me. But, I've started doing airbnb hosting. I live a bit in the boonies, so there aren't really convenient coffee places nearby when I have people stay with me. What's a good option for not absolute poo poo coffee that can be made a cup or two at a time as cheaply as possible?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I like turtles posted:

I don't drink coffee, and can't start because the caffeine does horrible things to me. But, I've started doing airbnb hosting. I live a bit in the boonies, so there aren't really convenient coffee places nearby when I have people stay with me. What's a good option for not absolute poo poo coffee that can be made a cup or two at a time as cheaply as possible?

Just do a K cup machine.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

French press, store in a thermos. The drawback is the cup is a little muddy, which might be off putting to guests. Pour over gives a cleaner cup, but its a little more finicky. A Mr. Coffee machine ain't great, but better than nothing if it works better for you. In any case, just store in a good thermos and it will last a while and won't taste like crap, like coffee left in a carafe over a heating element. For a cup at a time, you can get one of those pod machines, but I don't think they are very good deals and lock you into buying coffee that fits the machine and tend to be pretty mediocre for the price.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
You can get a French press pretty cheaply and can vary in size from 1 serving to much more. Use one scoop of grounds per cup. Basically you just mix water and grounds in the press, then let it sit for a few minutes. Put the top on and SLOWLY press the plunger down to separate the coffee from the grounds and pour right from the vessel. Most coffee drinkers drink more then one "cup" (as in a measuring cup), I have an 8 cup French press and it was enough for 3 of us to have a mug each yesterday morning.

:edit: Pod machines tend to make pretty bad coffee, not that most people seem to mind since everyone has one these days. You can also get reusable pods that let you put a single serving in and thus still buy coffee by the pound, bag, or canister. Most drip coffee machines (the classic ones you see at diners and in people's kitchens) let you do partial pots. You fill the pot to the number of cups, then do the same 1 scoop per cup into the filter up top. I find for price/effort/reward you can't really beat the French press though.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 16, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For people staying at an AirBnB a K-cup machine with a minimal assortment of different varieties should be fine. It's better than many hotels do and it's far less effort than setting something else up on your own / worrying about having to change out / clean up coffee machines.

I grind my own / french press my own am generally particular about coffee and would be pleased if a random room for rent had a K-cup setup.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No seriously, just get a k-cup or nespresso machine for your airbnb guests. Trust me on this one. I know the coffee they make is bad, but nobody is going to give a poo poo because they're staying at a god drat bargain hotel. The last thing I want to worry about is measuring my coffee grounds when I'm on vacation and coffee is Serious Business for me.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Calrose rice. It is only now commonly available in my area. I like it; it's versatile; I have some questions though:

1. No rinse, rinse, or rinse thoroughly -or does it just depend on how sticky you want it?

2. Is it good rice, nutritionally? Is it better than cheap white rice, as far as how it is processed and treated or whatever? I've been trying to find stuff online but the info I find seems like either marketing information for it and granolas saying to only ever eat whole brown rice. Ethical production matters to me, but only to whatever degree my wallet tells me I can afford.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Very Strange Things posted:

Calrose rice. It is only now commonly available in my area. I like it; it's versatile; I have some questions though:

1. No rinse, rinse, or rinse thoroughly -or does it just depend on how sticky you want it?

2. Is it good rice, nutritionally? Is it better than cheap white rice, as far as how it is processed and treated or whatever? I've been trying to find stuff online but the info I find seems like either marketing information for it and granolas saying to only ever eat whole brown rice. Ethical production matters to me, but only to whatever degree my wallet tells me I can afford.

1. I only eat Calrose. I grew up eating Calrose, so I know that I'm a bit biased, but I think it's pretty much the best rice you're going to get this side of glorious nippon.

2. I never rinse it.

3. It is white rice. It's not as good for you as brown rice. That said, I don't care. I eat white rice. I eat it like 4 or 5 times a week at least.

4. Calrose rice is produced in California, mostly north of Sacramento. Most of the farmers are relatively small growers who sell to co-ops. It's probably slightly more ethically produced than most grain in the US, but all grain in the US is much more ethical than lots of other agricultural products, since it uses relatively little actual manpower, and the manpower that is used tends to be higher skilled.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there such a thing as a backpack designed to carry a couple pans with pockets for a bunch of spices and oils and knives and poo poo? I hate bringing a bunch of loose random poo poo to someone's house to cook with.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I have a chicken breast and a bottle of Frank's hot sauce. I want to make shredded buffalo chicken for use in tacos or something--would I be okay just cutting the chicken into strips and chucking it into the crock pot coated in sauce? Is there a way to make this a little less, I don't know, pedestrian?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Sharzak posted:

I have a chicken breast and a bottle of Frank's hot sauce. I want to make shredded buffalo chicken for use in tacos or something--would I be okay just cutting the chicken into strips and chucking it into the crock pot coated in sauce? Is there a way to make this a little less, I don't know, pedestrian?

I think it's franks and butter that makes the "original" buffalo wing sauce...that at least will turn it into a sauce that will stick on the chicken a bit better. I always like adding BBQ to my buffalo sauce if I'm tossing boneless wings or fried tenders in sauce. It's franks, it's for bar food, cook something well and enjoy it for its simplicity. If you do shredded chicken tacos with it you can swap out the greens for something a little nicer. I like romain or baby lettuce. You can experiment with cheese or add some guacamole if you want more flavors than spicy chicken to your meal.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Sharzak posted:

Make a quick slaw with carrots, cabbage and jalapeno. Crumble up some blue cheese and serve with some lime.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Is there such a thing as a backpack designed to carry a couple pans with pockets for a bunch of spices and oils and knives and poo poo? I hate bringing a bunch of loose random poo poo to someone's house to cook with.

Of course there is, but it's loving expensive and unnecessary for your purposes. http://www.trannonculinary.com/

I'd recommend using a cheap rolling cooler, or just a rubbermaid container of a certain sq footage. You could also use some type of messenger bag for your knives and spices alongside the travel box for your pans.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Drifter posted:

Of course there is, but it's loving expensive and unnecessary for your purposes. http://www.trannonculinary.com/

I'd recommend using a cheap rolling cooler, or just a rubbermaid container of a certain sq footage. You could also use some type of messenger bag for your knives and spices alongside the travel box for your pans.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Not AS expensive as I thought either.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

1. I only eat Calrose. I grew up eating Calrose, so I know that I'm a bit biased, but I think it's pretty much the best rice you're going to get this side of glorious nippon.

2. I never rinse it.

3. It is white rice. It's not as good for you as brown rice. That said, I don't care. I eat white rice. I eat it like 4 or 5 times a week at least.

4. Calrose rice is produced in California, mostly north of Sacramento. Most of the farmers are relatively small growers who sell to co-ops. It's probably slightly more ethically produced than most grain in the US, but all grain in the US is much more ethical than lots of other agricultural products, since it uses relatively little actual manpower, and the manpower that is used tends to be higher skilled.

Thanks, guy. Feeling pretty good about my rice now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

IRQ posted:

Does anyone happen to have the old chili thread handy (not archives), or just the spice measurements for the America's Test Kitchen Cincinnati chili? I know all what's in it, but the hard drive I had my recipes on died and I don't feel like experimenting too much tonight.

America's Test Kitchen's Cincinnati Chili

CHILI
2 teaspoons table salt, plus more to taste
1.5 pounds 80 percent lean ground chuck
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
0.5 teaspoon ground allspice
0.25 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
Hot sauce

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I pulled a whole chicken out of the freezer that seems to have a bit of freezer burn--any suggestions for what I could use this as? doesn't look like it would turn out good for roasting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

I pulled a whole chicken out of the freezer that seems to have a bit of freezer burn--any suggestions for what I could use this as? doesn't look like it would turn out good for roasting.

You could probably make stock with it just fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Poach / boil it up and use for chicken salad or some sort of forcemeat?

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Chicken soup

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Make a bigass pot of chicken and dumplings.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Any Canadians have a recommended place for purchasing sodium citrate? I'm in Toronto, if that matters. And while we do have the impressively industrial torontosalt.com, I can't see me going through a 50kg bag of food-grade sodium citrate any time soon :(

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I was just given a giant box of fresh shiitake mushrooms (as a bribe to hire a landscaping guy, how weird, right?) and although I really love them, I'm just not sure what to do with so many. I usually slice them and sauté lightly and add them to miso soup or vegetable sushi or hot pot or something, but I'd love some ideas for how to really highlight them in a dish.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Spadoink posted:

Any Canadians have a recommended place for purchasing sodium citrate? I'm in Toronto, if that matters. And while we do have the impressively industrial torontosalt.com, I can't see me going through a 50kg bag of food-grade sodium citrate any time soon :(
I ordered it from modernistpantry.com. It's based in Seattle, but the cost was pretty reasonable and they shipped quickly (I'm in Edmonton). Also, if you specify in your order for them to mark the package as a gift, you can avoid tariffs. (they mention it in their FAQ for international orders)

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
Easy tamarind ice cream is what you do with it!

Whip 1 pint heavy cream until it's super stiff, then gently fold in 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and a scoop of tamarind paste. Put the mixture in the freezer until it hardens, then eat it with a big goony smile!
You have to experiment a little and adjust the tamarind to taste.

Edit: I'm dumb and still getting the hang of posting, please don't probate me, I'm scared.

Buttflakes fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 18, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Plus_Infinity posted:

I was just given a giant box of fresh shiitake mushrooms (as a bribe to hire a landscaping guy, how weird, right?) and although I really love them, I'm just not sure what to do with so many. I usually slice them and sauté lightly and add them to miso soup or vegetable sushi or hot pot or something, but I'd love some ideas for how to really highlight them in a dish.
Rinse them to remove the sand, and then soak obscene amounts of them in as small a quantity of water as possible. SAVE THE STOCK. Then, sautee with lots of minced garlic, sesame and peanut oil, and soy sauce. Refrigerate. Then, when you want to eat them, remove a few at a time, and sear over screaming high heat. You'll be happy you did.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I had an...urgent need to modify the smell of my apartment so I simmered julienned orange peel and a piece of cinnamon stick and so now I have a super-concentrated orangepeel/cinnamon water solution.

Can I use this for cooking at all? or should I just trash it. It smells nice.

edit: I have some sort of whitefish fillets, could I poach with a diluted version or would it just be gross?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Assuming you mean peel and without pith then yeah, but the cinnamon limits you a lot. It's probably a lot stronger than the orange. You should probably not use that with fish. You could make some brittle?