Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair given her size, she'd be the least dangerous walker out there. Except maybe the zombaby.

It would still be a needlessly silly thing to do. Show's better when the characters do smart things.

Grin and Tonic posted:

edit: At this point, though, I'm thinking TERMINUS is gonna be some kinda death camp.
They gotta be cannibals. Cannibals are a staple of post-apocalypse stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
"Terminus" is not the most hospitable name.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought the fact we saw Lizzie explicitly feeding the train tracks walker a mouse implied that she was the one who was feeding the walkers at the prison.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I thought the fact we saw Lizzie explicitly feeding the train tracks walker a mouse implied that she was the one who was feeding the walkers at the prison.

That, and when she told Tyreese she's the one who did it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Andrew Verse posted:

That, and when she told Tyreese she's the one who did it.

But you could see that whoever was feeding the zombies was the height of an adult so obviously she was just covering for Bob.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Wait so who was feeding the rats at the prison?????

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
This episode should have been called Of Mice and Zombies

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

euphronius posted:

If she realized what she did was wrong then she woulndt be crazy and need putting down.

That was the whole point.

No way, you can't stuff that kinda cheese whizz back into the can. She had to go.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Brodie posted:

No way, you can't stuff that kinda cheese whizz back into the can. She had to go.

I think you're misreading the context of the post you're quoting.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
"Look at the flowers, Lizzie"

"Think about the rabbits, Lennie."

*Bang*

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Grin and Tonic posted:

"Terminus" is not the most hospitable name.

I think it's being used in the context of railroads, considering where it's located. Less ominous and more uncreative in this case.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

messagemode1 posted:

I think you're misreading the context of the post you're quoting.

Just because someone has a moment of clarity before they get offed dies not make them suddenly exonerated from murdering somebody. So maybe your the one with context issues.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Defiance Industries posted:

I think it's being used in the context of railroads, considering where it's located. Less ominous and more uncreative in this case.

Names in fiction are generally meaningful, it's probably more than a technical label.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Brodie posted:

Just because someone has a moment of clarity before they get offed dies not make them suddenly exonerated from murdering somebody. So maybe your the one with context issues.

She doesn't have to be exonerated, just not executed. There's tons of space in between the two.

I wonder how the scene would play out if Lizzie did come down from crazy town right before her execution though. Would Carol have stayed her hand? I'd guess no.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Really liked this episode. Glad they had the balls to go through with that and force Carol/Tyrese to make a moral choice that's actually difficult for a change, rather than doing what they usually do. This was loving night and day compared to how they dealt with the "dilemma" of what to do with Randall or any of the other times when the writers wanted to have their cake and eat it too and had the group struggle with a decision on something that wouldn't actually be that difficult at all given their circumstances.

This was still the token One Really Good Episode of the season for me so far, but hopefully the show will keep this up heading into next season.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Carol should have let Mika turn and tear Lizzie to shreds as a way of saying, "I told you so."

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

Carol should have let Mika turn and tear Lizzie to shreds as a way of saying, "I told you so."

Yeah, and then she could've twirled her moustache and guffaw derisively.

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.
College Slice

Shitenshi posted:

How would letting a girl that cant see the difference between humans and zombies, and in fact wants to become a zombie, understand an "I told you so" moment by being allowed to be bitten by her sister? It's what she wanted anyways. But hey, maybe she'd be turned and then realize "Hey, I'm a zombie now. You sure showed me."

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Andrew Verse posted:

Yeah, and then she could've twirled her moustache and guffaw derisively.
And then Tyreese is all, "Yeah, you killing Karen and David is nowhere near as bad as that crazy kid," and then Carol's like, "Karen and David. Good times." And then they laugh.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I want to see TVIV write an episode of TWD and see how batshit crazy it gets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sober posted:

I want to see TVIV write an episode of TWD and see how batshit crazy it gets.

Thirty minutes of Tyreese hammering the entire cast except Daryl and Carol to death followed by thirty minutes of a very angry, intense, argument about some really basic poo poo that should be clear.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Thirty minutes of Tyreese hammering the entire cast except Daryl and Carol to death followed by thirty minutes of a very angry, intense, argument about some really basic poo poo that should be clear.

Carl would kill Rick. Michonne would kill Carl. Tyrese would "Hammer Time" everyone except Daryl, and then they'd live happily ever after :3:

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

As Rick looks into the bloodshot, angry eyes of Tyreese, maliciously wielding a bloodsoaked hammer, and Carol, knife in one hand, Judith supported by the other, he falls to his knees and begs out one last question:

"Carol. Who set off the alarm? WHO, Carol!? Was it CORRL?"

*roll credits*

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Trigger warning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SDc7Tlgfg7M#t=73

And goddamnit, I still get watery-eyed at this part of "Of Mice and Men".

Ravane posted:

"Look at the flowers, Lizzie"

"Think about the rabbits, Lennie."

*Bang*

So glad I'm not the only one making Of Mice and Men jokes during the show.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Bored posted:

Trigger warning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SDc7Tlgfg7M#t=73

And goddamnit, I still get watery-eyed at this part of "Of Mice and Men".

So glad I'm not the only one making Of Mice and Men jokes during the show.

I mean the only way you couldn't see the connection was if you've somehow made it into adulthood without ever reading the book or seeing any adaptation of it. That being said, I'm oddly okay with them just completely lifting plots from classic literature if it means better episodes like this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

No wonder Carol keeps getting kids killed, 3 times this episode her and Tyreese walked off alone together leaving those kids alone and each time they got closer to dying until one actually did, I mean seriously it was like they were trying to get them killed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pryor on Fire posted:

Names in fiction are generally meaningful, it's probably more than a technical label.

A lot of names in Post-Apocalyptic Fiction are meaningful in a functional way. A lot of the time, settlements that spring up after a cataclysm have names that are either references to the place that the settlement used to be (New whatever or a pidgin version of the old placename) or what the settlement does (Bartertown, Shelter, the Vault) as much as any sort of abstract thematic meaning. Terminus is named Terminus because all railroads lead there, and most of the cast are following the tracks. It's like The Hub in Fallout 1, it got the name because all the caravans run through it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

No wonder Carol keeps getting kids killed, 3 times this episode her and Tyreese walked off alone together leaving those kids alone and each time they got closer to dying until one actually did, I mean seriously it was like they were trying to get them killed.
Yeah, it was eerily reminiscent of how she got the hippie couple she and Rick ran into killed :tinfoil:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Stop leaving people alone carol you'll get them all killed.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I apologize for the size of this in advance.

The Undoing of the Man Tyrese (a dramatic timeline) :smithicide:

Nightmares

"Sometimes we have to kill them, but sometimes we don't!"

Lizzie cries over a dead zombie. So it begins.

Maybe I should slip out the back...

What the fuckkkk

So Tyrese what do you think of all this? :)

A drastic decision has been made.

Old Yeller Style

It was me.

I forgive you.

MrTpug
Feb 16, 2011

Seraphroy posted:

As Rick looks into the bloodshot, angry eyes of Tyreese, maliciously wielding a bloodsoaked hammer, and Carol, knife in one hand, Judith supported by the other, he falls to his knees and begs out one last question:

"Carol. Who set off the alarm? WHO, Carol!? Was it CORRL?"

*roll credits*

Carol and Michonne are cornered by a gaggle of Zombies, accepting their fate as about to be eaten....AND THEN THE ROCK, STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN, AND HULK HOGAN SHOW UP!!!! Rock Bottoms, Stunners, and Legdrops ensue, followed by the 3 of them walking way from the pile of zombie corpses that explode for no reason...they don't look at the explosion

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I mean the only way you couldn't see the connection was if you've somehow made it into adulthood without ever reading the book or seeing any adaptation of it. That being said, I'm oddly okay with them just completely lifting plots from classic literature if it means better episodes like this.

I agree. It also fits well with something people might be forced to do in that world. There are going to be people that can't survive in that fictional world where it would be kinder to kill them than to leave them behind. I promise I wasn't saying it was bad. I was also very sad that during the first airing of the show, nobody else was quoting "of mice and men". Although, I did find out, when talking to someone else about it today, that not everybody has read the book. I probably personally wouldn't have read it if not for it being assigned reading for highschool freshmen English. It's a great book though and everyone should read it.

The performances in this episode were also fantastic. Like, I hate when they interview Carol's actress because she seems to have trouble finding the words to describe her opinions. But gently caress, if she isn't an amazing actress. I'm guessing some of that is due to having a hard time expressing herself in regular life.

Edit: John Malkovich is one actor who can go "full retard" and come out unscathed.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 17, 2014

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

PaganGoatPants posted:

The Undoing of the Man Tyrese (a dramatic timeline) :smithicide:

This is absolutely beautiful

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

http://gfycat.com/AlarmingDangerousCanary

heres a funny gif someone on reddit made.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
I'm hoping they have Terminus' society function like Crawford from TWD game. It seems like a logical conclusion of this season's themes.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
So how come every time a deer shows up on this show something terrible happens to a kid? Deers are dicks.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

cycomatix posted:

So how come every time a deer shows up on this show something terrible happens to a kid? Deers are dicks.

Cause they are a symbol of vulnerability and innocence.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
That sounds reasonable, but you also can't deny the possibility that a cabal of fawns conspired to unleash the zombie outbreak either.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Bored posted:

I was also very sad that during the first airing of the show, nobody else was quoting "of mice and men". Although, I did find out, when talking to someone else about it today, that not everybody has read the book. I probably personally wouldn't have read it if not for it being assigned reading for highschool freshmen English. It's a great book though and everyone should read it

There are enough excellent books in the world that you can't just assume even well read people have read them all. I've never read Of Mice and Men though I am aware of it through Bugs Bunny and many references in fiction to squishing animals.

Like, I'm an English Major and am right now reading the Iliad for the first time. Everyone has gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I suspect the deer might have been an intentional directorial choice. When Mika took that long, slow aim at the deer I tensed up automatically because all I could think of was Carl and the deer. I didn't know what I was afraid was going to happen to Mika but I was very scared for her at that moment because of Carl. She walked away from that fine but obviously the concern was just premature.

There was another great shot midway through the episode when Tyrese pours his heart out to Carol about Karen. There's this great shot of Carol in the foreground listening to him and feeling guilty when Tyrese stands in the background with his gun in his hand and draped to his side. I just couldn't take my eyes off that gun and I kept waiting for him to raise it and reveal he knew. I had no idea how he could possible know but the way that shot was framed the gun hung there so ominously. Then he goes to hug her and the tension passes only for Carol to look like she's going to confess and take a long pause before she goes another way.

• Locked thread