Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I've got a pretty significant Jewish Hungarian Empire of Carpathia coming along. I chiseled away at the west for about a century, taking Italy and eventually stabilizing my borders at West Francia. I figured i'd have to knock Catholics out of the running before I could gain a foothold in the middle east, but when I finally turned around and looked at it, the Byzantines had become obscenely powerful. One of the various Islamic empires usually beats them out of Syria, but this this time they're unstoppable, and took Jerusalem before I could. Without overpowered holy orders, it's going to be a task beat them. I'm starting to consolidate my military organization technology in Rome, but so far I can only field about a 10K retinue, and they routinely pull out 25K plus in a holy war. Also, is it normal for me to only have access to 4 mercenary companies? I have plenty of cash, but my ability to call up emergency forces is gimped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I've got a pretty significant Jewish Hungarian Empire of Carpathia coming along. I chiseled away at the west for about a century, taking Italy and eventually stabilizing my borders at West Francia. I figured i'd have to knock Catholics out of the running before I could gain a foothold in the middle east, but when I finally turned around and looked at it, the Byzantines had become obscenely powerful. One of the various Islamic empires usually beats them out of Syria, but this this time they're unstoppable, and took Jerusalem before I could. Without overpowered holy orders, it's going to be a task beat them. I'm starting to consolidate my military organization technology in Rome, but so far I can only field about a 10K retinue, and they routinely pull out 25K plus in a holy war. Also, is it normal for me to only have access to 4 mercenary companies? I have plenty of cash, but my ability to call up emergency forces is gimped.

That Byzantine levy is probably mostly Cataphracts which basically destroy everything (though they are very expensive.) Beating them in a straight-up conflict will be tough. Ideally your strategy against them should be :ese: until they erupt in civil war since the computer-controlled Byzantines typically don't hold together all that well. If they've gone elective, this will be more difficult since those empires tend to stay together better.

If there are other Orthodox regimes, it may be worth Holy Warring them (and hoping the Byzantines stay out of it) to reduce moral authority and improve the chances of a civil war.

There are some requirements on mercenary companies so I'm not surprised if you have a limited selection, though 4 is kind of lame.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It really feels like you should get some sort of opinion bonus from the pope when you're holy warring. I've been singlehandedly kicking the muslims out of spain and the various popes are all still just indifferent to me.

Also, why is it that whenever I grab a duchy in a holy war and hand out the land, the first thing the new duke does is revoke the country of one his vassals?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

Also, why is it that whenever I grab a duchy in a holy war and hand out the land, the first thing the new duke does is revoke the country of one his vassals?

Because the AI is programmed to try to increase its direct holdings up to its demense limit, in order to increase its personal income and troops.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MrBling posted:

I think it's so they can give it to someone more useful to them than who the default vassal was, and whoever they give that land to will have a higher relationship with them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ugh. Jerk dukes.

Anyway, let me tell you about holy wars.

Marrakech is a catholic Sheikhdom of all things, so I guess I'll have to see if I can peacefully vassalise him once I've grabbed everything else, since fabricating claims takes forever.

Castille and Galicia are both my dynasty (newphews both of the kings, I think) so all I really need to worry about is kicking West Francia out at some point.

Finally, is the light cavalry retinue worthwhile at all? I've just been mixing shock and skirmish retinues with about even numbers for heavy infantry and archers which has me at 5000 troops at this point.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Whats the event code that starts off the spawn of satan chain? I've played about three games all the way through with SoA and still haven't seen it fire.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

Finally, is the light cavalry retinue worthwhile at all? I've just been mixing shock and skirmish retinues with about even numbers for heavy infantry and archers which has me at 5000 troops at this point.

No. Defensive light cavalry is the second worst retinue after pure light infantry (wtf, as if Abyssinia/Nubia wasn't hard enough already).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Torrannor posted:

No. Defensive light cavalry is the second worst retinue after pure light infantry (wtf, as if Abyssinia/Nubia wasn't hard enough already).

Cool, I'll just stay with my HI and Archers then.

This is my first proper iron man game and I'm really pleased how it has gone so far. Granted, I had a huge slice of luck with the shia caliphate actually coming out on top but I'll take whatever I can get.

If only there was an achievement for a successful reconquista.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stupid question but is there no way to join or support your vassals' plots when you discover them, other than just ignoring them? Would be nice to be able to speed along certain convenient ones.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Earwicker posted:

Stupid question but is there no way to join or support your vassals' plots when you discover them, other than just ignoring them? Would be nice to be able to speed along certain convenient ones.

Sometimes they can ask to join you if I recall correctly, but you cannot join them when your spymaster discovers their plots.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lenoon posted:

Whats the event code that starts off the spawn of satan chain? I've played about three games all the way through with SoA and still haven't seen it fire.

event SoA.3000

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

Traits >>>> Martial skill, in my experience.

I wouldn't put so many >>>'s there, personally. There are some hard limits to martial skill that can help or hurt you. A martial skill under 6 will give that flank a chance to get some bad events. But traits, like you said, do matter. Having lisp, stutter, or Wroth can lead to some nasty formations. Other cutoffs for good battle tactics are around 8, 12, and 16. They vary, but those are about the limits you can expect.

For example, you can get the incredibly powerful Couched Lance, Massive Longbow Volley, and the ridiculously strong Retreat and Ambush with better martial, and if the general is the right culture. It also depends on your troop makeup. If your army is comprised more of knights, you need less martial to be able to fire off the Couched Lance formation, for example.

When I've been a northern Germanic culture with retinues full of Housecarls, getting a Berserker Charge formation is absolutely devastating against the enemy. I almost feel bad for them.

Excelzior posted:

event SoA.3000

Paradox should have made it SoA.666.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So, release date (next week) for RoI as well as Indian and Turkic portrait packs leaked: here.

The Turks are a bit ugly, although I can accept it. Those Indians are like something out of a nightmare though.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Fuligin posted:

So, release date (next week) for RoI as well as Indian and Turkic portrait packs leaked: here.

The Turks are a bit ugly, although I can accept it. Those Indians are like something out of a nightmare though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ugh, it's even worse than the Mediterranean faces pack. Why are they doing this?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Paradox, why can't I pre-order this yet? It doesn't even show up on the Steam upcoming list, you guys are missing out on potential pre-orders. Take my money damnit.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

hahaha Johan please comment on this

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

My god, who the hell is doing the portraits now? They're hideous!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Looks a bit like :reject:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Node posted:

Paradox should have made it SoA.666.

I recently got this event in a multiplayer game. Ironically, he was probably the greatest (orthodox) Christian ever, reforming the Roman Empire, mending the schism, destroying most of the muslim powers and living to be over 80. At one point he was infirm, but Satan fixed him up, and he went on to personally lead the cataphract armies to victory over a Jihad. Yeah, Satan done hosed up (unless orthodoxy is secretly Satan worship?)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Looks good.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's a potato.

Thanks for the event code, my current game is getting boring, time for satan's son to head off with the merry men for a while!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I just saw the AI pull the classic "pull out your army so that you're gone literally the day before the other guy arrives" trick on another AI army, and I smiled a bit.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Indian mercenary captains in one of those screenshots looked okay, but some other portraits looked pretty bad, too. Seems pretty...uneven. I'd be interested in seeing what the females look like.

The Turks look cool, at least.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nonsense, he merely has the new character trait: Goiter.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I love this.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The Indian portraits look better than Mediterranean at least (but Paradox pls consider a separate Dravidian portrait pack in the future when you have time, having all of India share the same facepack would make about as much sense as French and Bedouin characters sharing the same facepack), and the Turkish portraits look loving fantastic.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Amazing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I honestly like the Indian portraits okay, but the Turkic ones look like plastic dolls or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Turkish faces look really good, surprisingly.

And did I see it correctly, Indian culture only gives you access to gavelkind, primogeniture and ultimogeniture? No elective? Boo!

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I don't see what people are complaining about, there's ugly faces in every pack. It's unrealistic for every character to be a portrait of beauty.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I can't wait for the inevitable Norseman to wind up with a pagri on his head.

Edison was a dick posted:

I don't see what people are complaining about, there's ugly faces in every pack. It's unrealistic for every character to be a portrait of beauty.

Except for Mediterranean where every Greek male literally looks exactly the same except for the beard.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Torrannor posted:

The Turkish faces look really good, surprisingly.

And did I see it correctly, Indian culture only gives you access to gavelkind, primogeniture and ultimogeniture? No elective? Boo!

Yeah, but you can designate your successor, so all of it is pretty much moot, if I understand it correctly!

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Had the most bizarre sequence of events during a game last night. Playing Old Gods start as Harald Fairhair? and had managed to conquer all of Norway and Sweden. Was slowing eating Finland to get enough provinces to claim the Empire of Scandinavia. Mid conquest I die and I'm suddenly my heir.. you know that heir that is the eldest, weak, craven son with two younger awesome brothers. Yeah so now I'm that guy (Ragnarr), my younger brothers seem to have taken the lions share of the gavelkind provinces and now all my vassals are out for my blood. Took a few months for two factions to start up, one for each brother.

An alliance with Hungary got me through that initial wars, and then I promptly tried to imprison all the vassals who had turned on me, which started off another series of civil wars.
Now at some point during all this I get a message from 'myself' saying "Hi son, I'm now your regent", I check and I'm now my heir. Thinking I must have died mid battle I check and no, Ragnarr is still alive, and has himself as his heir. I am now playing as Ragnarr's son, who has no heir. I can't see any issue that would cause Ragnarr to disinherit his heir.

THEN all of a sudden I'm Ragnarr again, then I'm his son again, then I'm Ragnarr again.. It just kept flicking between this state every few days. I thought maybe Ragnarr had become incapacitated and was phasing in and out of 'ableness' but couldn't see anything. So then I'm Ragnarr again, and my brother challenges me to a duel, I accept and loose and now I'm maimed and incapable so my son takes over. Ragnarr shortly dies and so now I'm stuck playing as a 3 year old with my mother as regent.

I then get a string of 'OK fine I accept peace' from all my vassals, but when I accept I loose the titles and they are now independent. I'm assuming my regent was making those calls?

At this point the succession wars against my Uncle are still raging, however I check the war score and now my two uncles are fighting against me and the King of Hungary has joined their side :shepicide:

I don't think I've ever had an Old Gods Viking game that has ever made it beyond the initial succession wars. Any advice for this?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Don't die reform the religion .

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, but you can designate your successor, so all of it is pretty much moot, if I understand it correctly!

For Paradox people reading this thread, make it so you can parcel out lands yourself with Gevelkind. Like you have to divide evenly like the AI does, but you can choose who gets what so you aren't splitting duchies or whatever. Also make it so you can give your heir extra for massive r'ship malus and claims against him or something. I'd like to actually use gavelkind, but it kinda sucks a lot.

Also, choosing your succession if you don't have sons would be nice, or an option to disinherit lovely heirs and maybe turn him into an adventurer with claims on you..or something.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Even just being able to sort out what goes to whom would help immensely. I realize you could use it to give your youngest son your holdings off in gently caress-off nowhere while you keep the good poo poo, but when you keep one county, an unrelated duchy and your capital, all of which are nowhere near eachother and completely surrounded by your other heir's land it's just not fun.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just noticed that zealous characters get a flat opinion penalty against characters with "Sympathetic To" traits, even if the characters involved are, for example, a zealous Christian and a Muslim with Christian sympathies.

EDIT: seems to me that the "sympathetic to" maluses really shouldn't reach across religious lines. It makes no sense for a zealous Muslim to hate a Christian for tolerating Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

DStecks posted:

Just noticed that zealous characters get a flat opinion penalty against characters with "Sympathetic To" traits, even if the characters involved are, for example, a zealous Christian and a Muslim with Christian sympathies.

EDIT: seems to me that the "sympathetic to" maluses really shouldn't reach across religious lines. It makes no sense for a zealous Muslim to hate a Christian for tolerating Jews.

Seems pretty spot-on to me. In my experience, real-world zealots have a lot more respect, if not tolerance, for those that equal their own commitment to faiths they might loathe. A fundamentalist muslim should respect a fundamentalist christian far more than they respect a liberal, humanistic christian, jew or even someone of their own faith with those values.

• Locked thread