Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Capt. Sticl posted:

I don't think they were trying to pass it off as a real story. I think it's just another of the 'stupid liberals believe things beyond personal control effect our lives.'

Remember, a depressing number of people believe this is completely true:

Had that exact same one hit my wall a few months back.

Mo_Steel posted:

Sure am glad I chose to be born as a white male in America. :smug:

They need to believe it's true in order to perpetuate a belief in a Just World. If they accept that bad things happen to good people for no reason or fault of the person, then it's not a Just World and it's harder for you to blame the poor as lazy immoral moochers and not people who were unfortunate or the result of a broken societal system and harder to justify to yourself that you're doing the right things because you are getting ahead in life.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Capt. Sticl posted:

And what might inform one to make choices in their life, if not the learning and experiences offered by your parents, etc.

Jesus that's some facetious garbage. Belief in some kind of buck stopping ex-nihilo free will is a common thread in 'Just World' philosophy, and used to justify a good half of the callous policies of the right wing.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

So if I was raised by parents who were loving insane, and told me that I had to go out and murder people in order to get into whatever paradise they were trying to shove on me, And never told there was an alternative way of life, It'd totally still be my fault.

Brilliant. loving brilliant. Just world fallacy at its zenith. The mental gymnastics have been elevated to almost an artform.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

rkajdi posted:

stdh.txt

EDIT: Seriously, no google hits on the headline and no details in the report means this is definitely a fake.

That would be because I made it up. Completely. By myself. As a mockery of Interlude's latest argument that gun control is a short term solution that fails to address the social context that drives a gun-owner to violence in the first place.

Also known as a 'joke'

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

E-Tank posted:

So if I was raised by parents who were loving insane, and told me that I had to go out and murder people in order to get into whatever paradise they were trying to shove on me, And never told there was an alternative way of life, It'd totally still be my fault.

Brilliant. loving brilliant. Just world fallacy at its zenith. The mental gymnastics have been elevated to almost an artform.

Well yeah dog if you had just gone to a church and listened you would have learned the real truth. Your bad for not thinking of it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Plom Bar posted:

That would be because I made it up. Completely. By myself. As a mockery of Interlude's latest argument that gun control is a short term solution that fails to address the social context that drives a gun-owner to violence in the first place.

Also known as a 'joke'

The call is coming from inside the thread! :stonk:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I am become Poe, ruiner of (own) jokes

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Capt. Sticl posted:

I don't think they were trying to pass it off as a real story. I think it's just another of the 'stupid liberals believe things beyond personal control effect our lives.'

My brother totally chose to have cerebral palsy. I totally chose to be born at a time such that, when I graduated from college, the economy would collapse. Totally our choices.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

My brother totally chose to have cerebral palsy. I totally chose to be born at a time such that, when I graduated from college, the economy would collapse. Totally our choices.

The sad part is that to a certain extent it's correct. Where it fails is in two ways: that your choices are informed by things that happen to you (background, education, values, etc) and that the things that happen to you are not at all solely the result of your choices.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

The sad part is that to a certain extent it's correct. Where it fails is in two ways: that your choices are informed by things that happen to you (background, education, values, etc) and that the things that happen to you are not at all solely the result of your choices.

No, that makes it 100% incorrect...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
It's like the libertarian arguments that refuse to admit that economic or social coercion is even a thing and that the only form of coercion is a literal gun to one's head (taxes are literally a gun and all government is jack-booted thugs with those guns. Even librarians).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

These are the people that would organize a race and force one person to run twice the distance then yell at them for not training hard enough. Sorry dude that had to run twice the distance, if you wanted to win you would have tried harder.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
TOXINS! :supaburn:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

"natural toothpaste" :heysexy:

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Here's the paper in case anyone is interested - http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422%2813%2970278-3/abstract

Edit: I just glanced through it. It's a review on the dangers of things like pesticides and organic solvents on human neural development. It mentions "fluoride" as a newly identified neurotoxin, but does not discuss it at all in the text. The closest is mentioning that fluorinated organic chemicals can be dangerous for developing brains, which is pretty unsurprising. There is literally nothing at all to suggest that the current use of fluoride in drinking water has any sort of negative impact on neural development, and in their Recommendations section they say nothing about it at all.

I would not be surprised at all if fluoride is a neurotoxin. The creators of that image however seem to have forgotten their Paracelsus.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 17, 2014

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The study also named lead, methylmercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, arsenic, manganese, chlorpyrifos, dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, tetrachloroethylene, and the polybrominated diphenyl ethers as neurotoxicants, but you don't see them raising a stink about any of those.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Maybe people should just stop eating toothpaste? Especially if they're doing it while brushing instead of independently - ingesting all that plaque can't be healthy.

We should crowd-source a PSA, this barbaric practice has gone on long enough. If they must, they should at least be eating natural toothpaste.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

sweart gliwere posted:

Maybe people should just stop eating toothpaste? Especially if they're doing it while brushing instead of independently - ingesting all that plaque can't be healthy.

We should crowd-source a PSA, this barbaric practice has gone on long enough.

But it's so minty. :(

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Crain posted:

(taxes are literally a gun and all government is jack-booted thugs with those guns. Even librarians).

Especially librarians.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Blarghalt posted:

But it's so minty. :(

Fun fact: I actually did eat toothpaste once, then barfed on my neighbor's Nintendo. Toddlers should be supervised when brushing, no joke.

edit: Supervision is optional with natural toothpaste.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pfirti86 posted:

I would not be surprised at all if fluoride is a neurotoxin. The creators of that image however seem to have forgotten their Paracelsus.

Other neurotoxic substances: glutamate, the primary excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well first we have to figure out what animals behind it comes out of.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

sweart gliwere posted:

We should crowd-source a PSA, this barbaric practice has gone on long enough. If they must, they should at least be eating natural toothpaste.

But my elegant dinner parties!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

duz posted:

I can't imagine that you'd save any money that way.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Clearly this is just a thinly veiled attempt to get the poors to off themselves so the 53% don't have to look at them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

sweart gliwere posted:

On the topic of obesity and military fitness - you're a veteran, right? (Other veterans please chime in!) You heard much about the 2012/2013 declarations of obesity as a national-security risk? I'd support that approach out of general civic concern, but aside from Generals and Mrs. Obama haven't heard anything to suggest it's an actual campaign.

e: vVv missed that, but it's still good practice to acknowledge the full depth. I was worried about any rebuttals he'd deploy getting cherry-picked over petty stuff. VVV Sorry! VVV

Not a veteran, but at least one way the military is looking at obesity as a long-term problem is recruitment:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/04/too_fat_to_fight_obesity_and_n.html

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well you'd save money with not having to host dinner parties anymore.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
I had this show up on my facebook. I don't recall anything about the ACA creating any insurance companies though...? I can't believe a doctor's office would be so clueless about insurance, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

duz posted:

This is literally a Letterman joke from the 70s. I'm sort of amazed that it can be presented seriously with absolutely no changes made to the concept.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Leospeare posted:

Especially librarians.

Forget about putting armed guards in schools, just give the school librarians guns. The mass-shooters will never see it coming.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

gently caress, wrong thread.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 17, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ror posted:

Other neurotoxic substances: glutamate, the primary excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain.

Shitloads of things are neurotoxic.
Nerves are whiny, fragile bastards.

^Too much :words::words::words:

[e]: And Neurotoxin is rapidly becoming one of the main jargons used in pseudoscience.
It's absolute bullshit.

It's 'Toxins' but with added assumed credibility!

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 17, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jabarto posted:

Forget about putting armed guards in schools, just give the school librarians guns. The mass-shooters will never see it coming.

Oh poo poo. We've mentioned guns three times! Interlude inbound...

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shitloads of things are neurotoxic.
Nerves are whiny, fragile bastards.

Dosis facit venenum.

Crain posted:

Oh poo poo. We've mentioned guns three times! Interlude inbound...

He got shouted down by the mob, stop worrying.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

King Metal posted:

I had this show up on my facebook. I don't recall anything about the ACA creating any insurance companies though...? I can't believe a doctor's office would be so clueless about insurance, but it wouldn't surprise me.

If you go on healthcare.gov and look up plans, you see your usual insurance companies, like BlueCross BlueShield, Kaiser, Group Health, etc. so there's not really way for a doctor's office to tell which are ACA and which aren't.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

King Metal posted:

It didn't create any new insurance companies. One company, Oscar, launched at around the same time as the health insurance marketplaces but that's about it. I don't think it will be possible for doctors to distinguish between marketplace plans and any other type of plan.

Most doctors know nothing about health policy. They like to pretend that they do, but they don't. That's why there are doctors out there that seriously believe that the ACA is government-run health insurance or that they can put up signs like this. Also it's still amazing to me that doctors put signs like this up and turn around and accept Medicare with no qualms at all.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
All Black Civil Rights Leaders Were Republicans, Therefore Democrats Are the Real Racists (this person has already denied that the Southern Strategy was a thing)

quote:

Bottom line is, the liberal establishment and the democratic party have pandered to the Black community since the 60's. LBJ said that if they passed Great Society welfare benefits (which would help blacks more than whites), they could get [blacks] (not the term he used, if you get my drift) to vote for democrats for 200 years. He and the left knew they could buy the black community voting block by using them in their welfare scheme. That kind of thinking has continued to animate the democrats ever since.

Sadly, many blacks don't even know they are being used by a political party to gain votes, power and control of the countries purse strings. If you look at the history of the democratic party, you'll find that they formed to oppose emancipation and establish the KKK. It's an interesing paradox that a party who claims to represent the interests of a certain group of people are actually their biggest enemy.

The republican party on the other hand, has a long history of civil rights for blacks. In fact, it was formed in part to grant freedom to the slaves. Up until LBJ passed the Great Society, most blacks including MLK, Jr. Booker T. Washington, Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman among others were republicans.

HistoryTest | National Black Republican Association

I found an interesting tidbit here in that a black republican has filed suit against the democratic party for its 200 year history of racism for which it has never apologized. I don't expect anything will become of it.

http://cache.trustedpartner.com/docs...0Democrats.pdf

It looks to me that the myth of republican racism has been one of the biggest political scams in our country's history.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I don't know if this is quite a forwarded email but it's definitely horrible idiots on social media:

http://www.reddit.com/r/history/comments/20m9wj/why_was_america_so_afraid_of_the_rise_of/

This thread is absolutely full of hilarious white nationalism. Ctrl+f for "Pavanot" to get to the particularly stupid comment chain.

quote:

What do you think racial abuse is? Why are western blacks given a pass in undoing the anti-racist handicapping of the plebs of the world that the wests elites need to sustain themselves as exceptional elites? After the war the west just took the anti-racism imposing of nazis and commies and imposed it on people in their own lands as it had, after all, worked for the nazis and commies so well - until bigger armies came ... but that was alright as plebs did not have armies).
The stupidest thing is that you could seriously have ever thought that the eugenicists etc that funded the nazis and commies that you are heir to could ever have bequeathed anything else to you..

quote:

You, commies, cultural marxists and nazis are all imposers of anti-racism. Arguing against this is just exposing yourself as a howling chancer on the make trying to ingratiate himself with one of the above.
Unless you're a wasp of course. Then, obviously, non of the above applies to your work 'improving' the worlds people via the dictatorship of the prolitariates hard but fair leadership. Naturally.

quote:

That said, an anthropologist can look at the bones of a particular skeleton and tell what race said skeleton belonged to, certain races are susceptible to specific diseases, Africans have no Neanderthal genome, and so on. Race is real.
What you call "extremist ideology" would have been the normal view on race throughout history for the majority of human beings as well as a large percentage today, so I wouldn't call it that frigney or extreme in the grand scheme of things, just fringey and extreme in relation to modern politically correct cultural Marxism, which really only holds sway in the West and only since WW2. That is what I'd call fringey.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

LeJackal posted:

He got shouted down by the mob, stop worrying.

You mean when he got mocked for posting exactly the sort of paranoid untruths this thread exists to mock, then backpedalled to claim we didn't address his main point that (a) he totally failed to support and (b) indicates a failure to understand that potential changes which could result from future paradigm shifts are not an excuse to make a slippery slope argument?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AShamefulDisplay posted:

All Black Civil Rights Leaders Were Republicans, Therefore Democrats Are the Real Racists (this person has already denied that the Southern Strategy was a thing)

Ask him why John Lewis, the only remamining member of the Big 6 of black civil rights leaders, is currently a democratic congressman and has been for close to 30 years. If he says he was tricked or bribed, ask why he thinks a man who has done more for humanity than he ever will is stupid.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 18, 2014