Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Quoting this post if only for going the extra mile by photoshopping in the pistol, crate and ump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I don't think it'd be that much of a stretch to offer f2p with paid competitive season passes.

edit:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Well, you've convinced me!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
They already handle an insane userbase with TF2 and there's very little difference in the underlying architecture. It's a problem they've not only already solved but have gotten pretty good at solving. The big question is how they've going to continue to refine the model they've already developed. It's proven to be extremely profitable but every game is different and Valve is never ever happy with just staying put except for developing hl3

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

landw0lf, apologies for annihilating you last night. Your 5th guy wasn't supposed to leave. :blush:

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Necc0 posted:

They already handle an insane userbase with TF2 and there's very little difference in the underlying architecture. It's a problem they've not only already solved but have gotten pretty good at solving. The big question is how they've going to continue to refine the model they've already developed. It's proven to be extremely profitable but every game is different and Valve is never ever happy with just staying put except for developing hl3

I think the main difference between their F2P games (dota2/Tf2) and CS:GO right now is how harmful cheaters are in CS:GO compared to the F2P games and the lack of any direct 'buy this item from valve'. I wonder if they've found with CS:GO that they make substantially more money from the percentage they take on the community market than they'd make selling things directly? Maybe that's why they haven't made a common stattrak AK :tinfoil:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Zwiftef posted:

I think the main difference between their F2P games (dota2/Tf2) and CS:GO right now is how harmful cheaters are in CS:GO compared to the F2P games and the lack of any direct 'buy this item from valve'. I wonder if they've found with CS:GO that they make substantially more money from the percentage they take on the community market than they'd make selling things directly? Maybe that's why they haven't made a common stattrak AK :tinfoil:

Ultimately, Valve is making tons of money and they can afford to have a few different business models (so to say) running at once to see what's successful and what's not. I'm sure they love the community market because every time an item is sold (and a single item can be sold multiple times) they make a commission.

Additionally, since any money from community market buys is only available to you as steam wallet, even the money that they did not immediately take off the top as a fee will eventually be returned to them or someone else in the ecosystem that can actually move $ from it and into a bank account.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
More important things that csgo needs before it goes F2P:
  • riot shields
  • night vision
  • cs_estate (see also: night vision)
  • sprays
  • the ~female~ character models from cs online 2

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Also a method to deal with hacking. If there was literally no barrier to entry, I'm betting there will be to many for Overwatch to handle. I've noticed that after steam sales you get a higher percentage of Overwatch cases of obvious triggers or wallers. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if they don't even have to pay $3.75 to get in.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

astr0man posted:

• riot shields
  • night vision
  • sprays

The worst thing about this list is that I know if they released rare, drop in crates scanty-clad female models they would sell for like 1000s of steam bucks on the market.

Thousands.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Jeza posted:

The worst thing about this list is that I know if they released rare, drop in crates scanty-clad female models they would sell for like 1000s of steam bucks on the market.

Thousands.

Clearly valve should hire me as a consultant if they really want to make bank

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Maarek posted:

Also a method to deal with hacking. If there was literally no barrier to entry, I'm betting there will be to many for Overwatch to handle. I've noticed that after steam sales you get a higher percentage of Overwatch cases of obvious triggers or wallers. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if they don't even have to pay $3.75 to get in.
Yeah this is probably the biggest barrier to F2P. Basically no way to make cheaters pay. I guess the only real option is to have F2P be casual only or something.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Jeza posted:

Thousands.

I think you might be a little conservative with your estimate there.

If that happened we might see our first 6 figure market item.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

dy. posted:

Yeah this is probably the biggest barrier to F2P. Basically no way to make cheaters pay. I guess the only real option is to have F2P be casual only or something.

What they've done with Dota2 is make it where you have to play a certain amount of time before the account can play in certain modes. If you had to play for 100 hours before Competitive matchmaking opened up, would it still be worthwhile to hack / smurf? Of course, that'll mean that hackers will be ruining the new player experience.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Daeno posted:

I think you might be a little conservative with your estimate there.

If that happened we might see our first 6 figure market item.

*has aneurysm from sadness*

beeman
May 7, 2008

astr0man posted:

• riot shields
  • night vision
  • sprays

also, vip mode func_vehicle

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Man with a dream to have fun.
bring back boatseasons

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I want a flashlight.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Escape maps

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I've played for a long time and I've never played an es_ map.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'd rather have VIP mode than hostage maps. Oilrig where are you??

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

mcvey posted:

I've played for a long time and I've never played an es_ map.

They were way better than as_ maps!

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Sylink posted:

I think I had the most fun back in 1.6 on oilrig (and stacking the bathroom on militia)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Zwiftef posted:

What they've done with Dota2 is make it where you have to play a certain amount of time before the account can play in certain modes. If you had to play for 100 hours before Competitive matchmaking opened up, would it still be worthwhile to hack / smurf? Of course, that'll mean that hackers will be ruining the new player experience.

Yeah but who gives a poo poo you can just leave those servers without consequence

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Single player missions.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Picked this up on the daily deal, it's pretty fun but I suck. The arms race is pretty fun though.

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Sylink posted:

oh god oilrig brings back some memories. having a server full of friends on oilrig was tons of fun.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Jeoh posted:

I want a flashlight.

There is a flashlight in the game, it just has to be enabled by the server and it's off by default. I use it on kz maps all the time.

Also, escape maps were legit fun.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Am I the only one that misses de_rotterdam?

beeman
May 7, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Single player missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9AMxmncU3s

also, i still press t to spray sometimes. although if they come back im sure they'll be monetized lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If they go F2P you'll probably see a huge influx of players to competitive, who never make it past like Silver 4. Casual players who just want to avoid the ocean of poo poo that casual would become with a F2P model.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Look I just need Pavarotti back on the radio in cs_italy. Or maybe just replace it with "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)".

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

astr0man posted:

In the past weekend I went on something like 1-16 in matchmaking and deranked 3 times. Every time I solo queued I ended up on a team with no mics with at least one unranked player. I'm now a MG1 - :shepicide:

Send me an invite sometime if you want me to carry you up a few ranks.

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Send me an invite sometime if you want me to carry you up a few ranks.

please carry me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What happens if a group of 3 or 4 goons needs to round out a team and doesn't want to just randomly get some shitbird assigned to us?

We're scrubs literally silver elite and below but at least we yell a lot about enemy movements.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Eyke posted:

please carry me

Nooooo, I need you to carry me.

With your Negev.

FAUXTON posted:

What happens if a group of 3 or 4 goons needs to round out a team and doesn't want to just randomly get some shitbird assigned to us?

We're scrubs literally silver elite and below but at least we yell a lot about enemy movements.

Ask for more goons in the chat?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

FAUXTON posted:

We're scrubs literally silver elite and below because we yell a lot about enemy movements.

This is much more likely. Communication in of itself isn't really a good thing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ironsights posted:

Look I just need Pavarotti back on the radio in cs_italy. Or maybe just replace it with "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)".

He's there, just very faint.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

FAUXTON posted:

Message me if I'm on :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Jeoh posted:

He's there, just very faint.

Jeoh always plays House on Italy T side and literally sits on top of the radio, so he can enjoy that sweet, sweet symphony every round, or at least until he has to come bail us out at Cellar.

• Locked thread