Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Quincyh posted:

So, watched it and enjoyed it, but the cops say they found Logan passed out next to Bonnie but they never explain why that happened. Was the bathtub electrified and it shocked him or something?

I think he kinda fugue-stated it up or something, or that's implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quincyh posted:

So, watched it and enjoyed it, but the cops say they found Logan passed out next to Bonnie but they never explain why that happened. Was the bathtub electrified and it shocked him or something?

Yes.

Veronica asks him "And you didn't see the cord?". He touched her and electrocuted himself too.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

That was a good movie. Very fan-servicy, though.

The 'in another life' joke was pretty great. Not sure if it's entirely realistic that all that stood between Veronica and throwing away a life she worked for for 8+ years is a single murder charge to an ex-boyfriend, but yeah. I was really impressed with the way the series kept up with modern tech more than anything. It didn't feel like a detective show, it felt like a detective show in the year 2014's tech landscape, which is a pretty cool thing that I don't expect out of most TV shows. Mac, Dick and Leo were all great. I knew I was going to like the movie as soon as Logan said 'And how about them Dodgers' in his signature smirk.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ernie. posted:

That was a good movie. Very fan-servicy, though.

The 'in another life' joke was pretty great. Not sure if it's entirely realistic that all that stood between Veronica and throwing away a life she worked for for 8+ years is a single murder charge to an ex-boyfriend, but yeah. I was really impressed with the way the series kept up with modern tech more than anything. It didn't feel like a detective show, it felt like a detective show in the year 2014's tech landscape, which is a pretty cool thing that I don't expect out of most TV shows. Mac, Dick and Leo were all great. I knew I was going to like the movie as soon as Logan said 'And how about them Dodgers' in his signature smirk.

You gotta remember, Veronica's strongest quality is her loyalty to the people she cares about. No matter how much it tears her up, if she cares about someone she's gonna do whatever the hell needs to be done for them. Throwing away that job is entirely in line with her character. Throwing it all away to go to Stanford wasn't, which was the main reason she went there.

Well, that and the lives she kept ruining.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about her student loans :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mu Zeta posted:

What about her student loans :(

Paying them off over the next 40 years like the rest of us poors.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
It was really sad to see Weevil getting back with the biker gang at the end of the movie. After he managed to move on and start a family and have a legit job. :(

e: Added tags because I'm not sure how we're handling spoiling stuff, sorry anyone who read this already. :(

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 18, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That was the most downer part for me, too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pander posted:

It's probably been mentioned, but be sure to stay through the credits. All of em.

Was there more than that first stinger?

Loved the movie, btw. I think my only nitpick, funnily enough, was how a moved-away Veronica who hadn't seen/spoken to Logan in 9 years has him in her phone, with a glamorous photo and everything.

But that's movies for ya. :)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You gotta remember, Veronica's strongest quality is her loyalty to the people she cares about. No matter how much it tears her up, if she cares about someone she's gonna do whatever the hell needs to be done for them. Throwing away that job is entirely in line with her character. Throwing it all away to go to Stanford wasn't, which was the main reason she went there.

And this is a very fair point, but I just don't see how Veronica Mars who is also a notorious background checker wouldn't have met the boss or the parents of someone she has dated for 8 years, you know? 8 years is a long time to spend on something only to walk away. Piz was right about asking why she didn't care for him at all the same way she did other people, and the way the movie was written it almost seems the answer to that question is 'because Veronica always had an unfinished story with Logan and Neptune' which then begs the question, why run away for so long?

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Ernie. posted:

And this is a very fair point, but I just don't see how Veronica Mars who is also a notorious background checker wouldn't have met the boss or the parents of someone she has dated for 8 years, you know? 8 years is a long time to spend on something only to walk away. Piz was right about asking why she didn't care for him at all the same way she did other people, and the way the movie was written it almost seems the answer to that question is 'because Veronica always had an unfinished story with Logan and Neptune' which then begs the question, why run away for so long?

They weren't together for the whole time, Piz mentions that they dated for a few months in college, and then for the past year.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
The absolute lack of content in those 8 years is disturbing though. Poor thing.

Cute movie in any case. But it only really works as an actual episode, there's no way around that. But that's their intention anyway, right?

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 17, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Same for Serenity, Peace Keeper Wars, and the last two Stargate movies. Just long episodes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Rob Thomas said that his primary measure of success was if the fans were happy. I hope it leads to more movies or some sort of limited tv show, that doesn't have to rely on just pleasing the fans.
But I don't think it would be possible to please everyone with this movie, so I am very happy with what we got.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Plus, of course, the point strongly made that she's just plain addicted to detective work.

I liked the movie a lot. Funny, well-made, and not afraid to gut-punch you by laying death and misery on established characters. I hope my Blu-ray gets here soon.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah it was just a super-sized episode but I'm glad it was because well it's our money and it was made for us. Hopefully someone at Amazon realizes they could be making a lot of money and revives it as a series so we can get more limited episodes because drat I'm hitching for some new veronica mars now and see how the plotlines they left dangling play out :suspense:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Twee as gently caress posted:

Yeah it was just a super-sized episode but I'm glad it was because well it's our money and it was made for us. Hopefully someone at Amazon realizes they could be making a lot of money and revives it as a series so we can get more limited episodes because drat I'm hitching for some new veronica mars now and see how the plotlines they left dangling play out :suspense:

I have a feeling that the person responsible for the corruption is Baylis, and he also tried to take care of his ex wife. Notice how they said that her GPS brought her there

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 17, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

I have a feeling that the person responsible for the corruption is Baylis, and he also tried to take care of his ex wife. Notice how they said that her GBS brought her there

GBS never leads you anywhere good :smith:

I think it's way too sloppy for Jake Kane to be trying to get his ex-wife killed that way, especially when he has so much money and could do something a lot more convincing. I think they would have hinted at it if there was some Celeste-Jake power play at hand

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

WarLocke posted:

It was really sad to see Weevil getting back with the biker gang at the end of the movie. After he managed to move on and start a family and have a legit job. :(

Adding spoiler tags.

I'm not sure how we're meant to take that shot. Did he actually lose anything as a result of what happened with Celeste Kane? He wasn't in jail, and as far as we can tell he still owns a business and has a wife and child. Perhaps she could press assault charges, but given her own criminal record (obstruction of justice, season 1), the huge credibility hit the Sheriff's dept. has just taken, and the fact that Weevil's the one who ended up shot, I'm more inclined to believe that she's just going to pay Weevil to make the problem go away rather than commit more felonies. I may be applying real-life logic to a make-believe situation, but if this is followed up on in a later book or movie, it's going to get a lot more scrutiny.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

epenthesis posted:

Adding spoiler tags.

I'm not sure how we're meant to take that shot. Did he actually lose anything as a result of what happened with Celeste Kane? He wasn't in jail, and as far as we can tell he still owns a business and has a wife and child. Perhaps she could press assault charges, but given her own criminal record (obstruction of justice, season 1), the huge credibility hit the Sheriff's dept. has just taken, and the fact that Weevil's the one who ended up shot, I'm more inclined to believe that she's just going to pay Weevil to make the problem go away rather than commit more felonies. I may be applying real-life logic to a make-believe situation, but if this is followed up on in a later book or movie, it's going to get a lot more scrutiny.

I took it as him rejoining his gang. Since his comments that "we will see about that", which implies that he is going to make people fear him again. Him leaving on the motorcycle also shows that he lost everything, since he said he did not get on one since his daughter was born.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

bobkatt013 posted:

I took it as him rejoining his gang. Since his comments that "we will see about that", which implies that he is going to make people fear him again. Him leaving on the motorcycle also shows that he lost everything, since he said he did not get on one since his daughter was born.

I think it's more of a first step. He hasn't had a bike for years until just now. He hasn't lost everything (anything?) yet but he opened the door once more.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I understood it as him having lost his wife and kid because because of what happened, and him getting on the motorcycle showed that he had nothing left.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

GBS never leads you anywhere good :smith:

I think it's way too sloppy for Jake Kane to be trying to get his ex-wife killed that way, especially when he has so much money and could do something a lot more convincing. I think they would have hinted at it if there was some Celeste-Jake power play at hand

I assume that his story is not over. They named dropped his company name, and also the poo poo from the final episode was never concluded. There is just something about the line that the GPS lead her there, that makes me think there is something up. It also needs someone with lots of money to pay off the cops, and profit off all that construction.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

I understood it as him having lost his wife and kid because because of what happened, and him getting on the motorcycle showed that he had nothing left.

Oh yeah that's most definitely how that should be read. No other way really.

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that his story is not over. They named dropped his company name, and also the poo poo from the final episode was never concluded. There is just something about the line that the GPS lead her there, that makes me think there is something up. It also needs someone with lots of money to pay off the cops, and profit off all that construction.

Oh yeah same here, they were setting him up to be the most influential man not only in Neptune but pretty much the whole country in the Season 3 final episodes, so if Veronica comes back to Neptune, you can bet Jake Kane would ultimately be the big bad.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ernie. posted:

I was really impressed with the way the series kept up with modern tech more than anything. It didn't feel like a detective show, it felt like a detective show in the year 2014's tech landscape, which is a pretty cool thing that I don't expect out of most TV shows.

Unspoilering this because it's not really plot. The way they kept going "OOH TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX GIGABYTES" felt like they wanted to do product placement but never found one. That was the only thing in the whole movie that I vaguely didn't love.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Unspoilering this because it's not really plot. The way they kept going "OOH TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX GIGABYTES" felt like they wanted to do product placement but never found one. That was the only thing in the whole movie that I vaguely didn't love.

It really did feel like they warped the plot around the product placement a bit. The cut from "they must have bugged the SAMSUNG tablet" to Mac very patiently explaining that it would be extremely difficult to bug a SAMSUNG tablet and you at home don't have to worry about a thing was super jarring.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Oasx posted:

Weevil: You guys are reading way too hard into the motorcycle ending. Weevil, who loved his wife and kid, would not have been in the decent/whatever mood he was in in that scene if he had lost his wife and kid. That is totally at odds with how that scene played out. All you need to take away from that scene is that, the events put in motion got him involved with the gang again, which (in books, comics, series, another movie, whatever,) could be a plot item. It was just a dangling possibility for future potential stories. That's all.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Oasx posted:

My reaction upon first viewing.

Feenix posted:

Weevil: You guys are reading way too hard into the motorcycle ending. Weevil, who loved his wife and kid, would not have been in the decent/whatever mood he was in in that scene if he had lost his wife and kid. That is totally at odds with how that scene played out. All you need to take away from that scene is that, the events put in motion got him involved with the gang again, which (in books, comics, series, another movie, whatever,) could be a plot item. It was just a dangling possibility for future potential stories. That's all.
My reaction upon 2nd viewing.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Oasx posted:

But the movie didn't suggest that she had any reason to trust the Sheriff's department over her husband; she's not an 09er and presumably knows what's up in Neptune. She also presumably knows her husband's whereabouts (home, work, in transit) most of the time and would know something was up if he had some kind of extracurricular activity. Again, movie logic, but I find it hard to swallow. I'm leaning toward the weaker he's given up on the straight and narrow theory (which isn't much less grim, now that I think about it).

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Aphrodite posted:

Veronica asks him "And you didn't see the cord?". He touched her and electrocuted himself too.

That bugged me... wouldn't the cord in the tub have thrown the breaker almost instantly?
Sure, you would get hurt/killed when you were right in the tub at the time, but seconds, most certainly minutes later, the chord would not be live anymore?

Good show though. It felt like welcoming old friends.
More, please.

There's another story in that business man buying all that real estate, I'm sure.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I greatly enjoyed the movie. The only thing that bugged me was relatively minor: the motion-activated tablet. a) Why didn't it pick up the face of the person who actually stole it? b) It's sitting in the middle of Gia's apartment facing up, how is it not capturing occasional glimpses/snippets of audio?

Also it's now Monday so there's no more need for spoiler tags.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zypher posted:

I greatly enjoyed the movie. The only thing that bugged me was relatively minor: the motion-activated tablet. a) Why didn't it pick up the face of the person who actually stole it? b) It's sitting in the middle of Gia's apartment facing up, how is it not capturing occasional glimpses/snippets of audio?

Also it's now Monday so there's no more need for spoiler tags.

I assumed Vinnie shut down the camera when she died, as it was useless.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mcbexx posted:

There's another story in that business man buying all that real estate, I'm sure.

The perfect opportunity for Veronica to team up with an old friend of her father's, Hank Dolworth, a P.I. in a neighboring beach town who has experience with this sort of thing.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

bobkatt013 posted:

I assumed Vinnie shut down the camera when she died, as it was useless.

Even if so, part A would have still been captured as it occurred before we got the glimpse of Gia texting on it from inside the 09er.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Maybe it was powered off when it was stolen?

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

mcbexx posted:

That bugged me... wouldn't the cord in the tub have thrown the breaker almost instantly?
Sure, you would get hurt/killed when you were right in the tub at the time, but seconds, most certainly minutes later, the chord would not be live anymore?

Probably. I don't know what the resistance of a tub of water is, so I can't say for sure. They did say it was an extension cord though, so it could have been on an outlet that isn't protected by a gfci, which you would find in a bathroom and would certainly trip instantly when put in the water. So maybe they did put at least a little thought into it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The perfect opportunity for Veronica to team up with an old friend of her father's, Hank Dolworth, a P.I. in a neighboring beach town who has experience with this sort of thing.

I've never wanted anything more in my life

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Well worth my $7 on Amazon!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When we get more Veronica Mars, i want Jessy Schram back. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hank Dolworth is busy ransacking Wessex.

• Locked thread