Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Going F2P would be a terrible decision, and I seriously doubt that would ever happen. The hacking alone would ruin their matchmaking. Going on sale occasionally doesn't even compare, hackers buy a few accounts and they eventually get banned. If it was f2p there would be nothing to stop someone from just continually making new accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They could add hardware bans to VAC to counter hacking in F2P.

As a non-dota player, how do they counter cheating in ranked dota?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

astr0man posted:

Nobody cheats in DotA. Pretty sure it's pretty much impossible. The only "hack" you could really have was a maphack, and I think Valve is pretty good about only sending relevant information to the client.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Like I said, make a dual-model where all modes but competitive are free. In order to get into competitive you purchase access which also grants you exclusive competitive drops. Hell, they could even go full-blown CAL style and allow registering teams and host official seasonal brackets, which would own. It's definitely possible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

down with slavery posted:

This is much more likely. Communication in of itself isn't really a good thing.

It isn't formless, it's more like "THREE PUSHING UP BANANA, ONE HAS AN AWP" instead of "OH poo poo GUYS THERE'S THREE OF THEM COMING FROM T SPAWN TO B" but yeah idle shouting clutters comms.

We're probably just bad because we're bad.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

down with slavery posted:

Nobody cheats in DotA. Pretty sure it's pretty much impossible. The only "hack" you could really have was a maphack, and I think Valve is pretty good about only sending relevant information to the client.

There's been a handful of cheats (I think at one point they weren't sending hero data, but they were sending player vision which allowed a pseudo maphack) but Valve has been really good about banning hackers and fixing the hacks.

Necc0 posted:

Like I said, make a dual-model where all modes but competitive are free. In order to get into competitive you purchase access which also grants you exclusive competitive drops. Hell, they could even go full-blown CAL style and allow registering teams and host official seasonal brackets, which would own. It's definitely possible.

I think comp mode is the best way to retain newbies. Maybe they could have a segregated newbie-only comp queue?

Zwiftef fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 17, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

astr0man posted:

Intriguingly enough, and possibly the biggest indicator that free to play is coming, HWID bans are (supposedly) already in the process of being implemented, and cheaters are already in the process of spoofing their hardware IDs. Sorry for the reddit link, but it's actually a first party source from a "cheater", so I don't have another source to post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/20cpkx/new_vac_module_update_leaked_cheat_information/

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Coleman posted:

HWID bans are (supposedly) already in the process of being implemented, and cheaters are already in the process of spoofing their hardware IDs.

HW bans have historically been pretty ineffective because of how easy it is to spoof it. Cheaters don't need to figure how to do it, because people have already been spoofing their hardware ID for ages.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

They should ban based on social security number.

Also, ban all euros. :colbert:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
ideally they'd just mm ban(for overwatch) or vac all accounts that they could feasibly associate with the user(ip address? HWID or something). there's too many wildcard possibilities for them to actually touch accounts that the person wasn't logged in to while cheating though. i mean i know i'd be pretty pissed if my roommate got vac'd and my account was banned. though if you ask me, if you don't immediately evict a person who is cheating under your roof you should be subject to [worse] penalties than the hacker themselves!

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

ideally they'd just mm ban(for overwatch) or vac all accounts that they could feasibly associate with the user(ip address? HWID or something). there's too many wildcard possibilities for them to actually touch accounts that the person wasn't logged in to while cheating though. i mean i know i'd be pretty pissed if my roommate got vac'd and my account was banned. though if you ask me, if you don't immediately evict a person who is cheating under your roof you should be subject to [worse] penalties than the hacker themselves!

A permaban might be too harsh, but I would love if they gave escalating tempbans to accounts that share a credit card with a hacker's account.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
What about family computers?

If a younger sibling cheats and you get banned for that you'd probably be very pissed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

If someone finds you're cheating, gaben storms into your home and your personal property becomes Valve's.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Kamrat posted:

If a younger sibling cheats and you get banned for that you'd probably be very pissed.

That's exactly what I said in my post lol, I'm just saying it'd be a great way to solve the problem if it wasn't such a lovely way to solve the problem.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Sorry man, I'm tired and misread your post. :blush:

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 17, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Zwiftef posted:

A permaban might be too harsh, but I would love if they gave escalating tempbans to accounts that share a credit card with a hacker's account.

CS on all of my alts was created from gifts, and have no personal information other than a throwaway email address.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Awesome Welles posted:

If someone finds you're cheating, gaben storms into your home and your personal property becomes Valve's.

So long as they do seized asset auctions on the marketplace to fund tournaments

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS0vbojyOMs

I shot some guys a few nights ago.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
If you segregate new accounts into ghetto comp, new players will run into the lion's share of hackers and get disgusted and quit. You can't really ban off of IP, credit card, or hardware for the aforementioned reasons, either.

I think the only real solution is to keep competitive behind a paywall. Make access to it contingent on buying a pass ala Bravo/Phoenix that costs 10 or 15 bucks. Throw in special or extra crate drops and people shouldn't complain too much. It might even improve the hacking issues that exist already, since they'd be more inclined to gently caress around in casual.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

You sure do waste a lot of nades.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

We need more symphonic soundtracks for frag vids. Also that is far from The Worst Ace imo

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

Kamrat posted:

As you should be. At your brother. Your (hypothetical) dysfunctional family isn't Valve's responsibility; their responsibility is keeping cheaters off of servers. I'd love to see VAC banning accounts based on associated credit cards.

Also "My BROTHER did the hacks!" is the "my dog ate my homework" of cheating excuses: I'm sure it's happened, but I'm never going to believe it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i finally got deagle skin to put my sticker on

OwnedByNiko
Jan 15, 2014
This happened last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs0CEiU10EM

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Necc0 posted:

Also that is far from The Worst Ace imo

Agreed. Here is one of my latest aces which is far worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcQGEIRBt2M

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

haha

"That's the two best guys on their team dead."

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Flying Fish posted:

i finally got deagle skin to put my sticker on

Sup foil luck is skill deagle buddy.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

- Me

quote:

so i purchased this game recently while it was on sale and having played cod and battlefield for most of my fps career i was confused at first on how this game was meat to be played and i'am still lost on some things. i'm not sure if it's just me but this game doesn't seem to have a skill lvl it seems all you do is hip fire unless the gun has a scope. if i'am wrong about this pls don't rage and let me know where i'am lost on this whole "no skill" thing.

I'm also not used having a set class setup i can use every time, it seems i have to purchase my weapon right as i spawn, so how do i tell how much money i have? if i just buy a gun every time i respawn will i eventually run out? i don't die constantly i get in some kills before i die. i know i get some sort of cash from killing ppl or somethin like that. so in that case will i ever run out of money? or should i be carefull with it?

another thing, where the hell is this drat scoreboard? i have no idea who is in the lead and who isn't >.< other than these confusions this game is quite fun, since there really isn't aiming most of the time it feels like an arcade shooter, dunno if it's really worth 15 bucks but i'm glad to have spent 3 bucks on this game
http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/558750985620462130/

this game doesn't seem to have a skill lvl

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Every game has skill levels. I think csgo is one of the few FPS with actual performance-based ranks, now that I think about it. Kinda wish it was simply hidden, though.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Xenaero posted:

Every game has skill levels. I think csgo is one of the few FPS with actual performance-based ranks, now that I think about it. Kinda wish it was simply hidden, though.

I don't think you really read what that guy posted. But yes I agree the ranks are pretty good. If they were hidden though you wouldn't know who to play with.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

whoknew posted:

- Me

http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/558750985620462130/

this game doesn't seem to have a skill lvl

The Call of Duty crowd, ladies & gents.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Xenaero posted:

Sup foil luck is skill deagle buddy.

it really works, i've had that deagle for less than 24hours

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

it seems all you do is hip fire unless the gun has a scope. if I'm wrong about this pls don't rage and let me know where I'm lost on this whole "no skill" thing.

Nope you're not lost bro

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

quote:

i'm not sure if it's just me but this game doesn't seem to have a skill lvl it seems all you do is hip fire unless the gun has a scope.

I have this great picture in my head of him taking the suppressor off right as he sees someone and getting blasted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Unbound posted:

I have this great picture in my head of him taking the suppressor off right as he sees someone and getting blasted.

I'm partial to him switching the FAMAS to burst fire, holding down the trigger, letting off one burst at the guy's shoulder before getting domed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm really bad at CS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0oft6rXGLc

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So how is the burst in Famas different from just holding a trigger for a sec?
Is it actually different?

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

The worst thing about this video is that crosshair.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
So I don't really know anybody that plays CS, I just add people from matchmaking who are fun to play with. This has left my activity feed an... interesting? place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sgz-hZ8UFk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwnedByNiko
Jan 15, 2014

whoknew posted:

- Me

Thanks for saying that, man. Kept my spirits up for that round.

• Locked thread