Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kirios posted:

He doesn't scream Gabbert 2.0 to me, but he's definitely the biggest boom or bust prospect of the three. And you know Bill O'Brien sees a 6'5'' 240 pound quarterback with minor mechanical issues but all the tools in the world to succeed and can't help himself.

Embrace the Bortles Texans fans. It's going to happen.

Change BRB to the Bortles Battle Blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
I was kind of hoping Bridgewater would underwhelm at his Pro Day because that means there's a better chance he'll be there for the Raiders to grab.

I don't understand the knock on Teddy's arm strength. He doesn't have a Cutler cannon but he's not exactly Alex Smith either. I'd put him up there with Brees and a bunch of other quarterbacks in the above average arm strength group.

If Bridgewater isn't there at 5, I'd rather grab Khalil Mack than Bortles or Manziel. All 3 prospects might pan out but I just don't see Manziel doing what he does for 8+ years in the league. By the time he's 30 he'll be Doug Flutie (yeah yeah Doug Flutie owns ironically, whatever).

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Toymachine posted:

I was kind of hoping Bridgewater would underwhelm at his Pro Day because that means there's a better chance he'll be there for the Raiders to grab.

I don't understand the knock on Teddy's arm strength. He doesn't have a Cutler cannon but he's not exactly Alex Smith either. I'd put him up there with Brees and a bunch of other quarterbacks in the above average arm strength group.

If Bridgewater isn't there at 5, I'd rather grab Khalil Mack than Bortles or Manziel. All 3 prospects might pan out but I just don't see Manziel doing what he does for 8+ years in the league. By the time he's 30 he'll be Doug Flutie (yeah yeah Doug Flutie owns ironically, whatever).

Agreed. And I'm not 100% sold that grabbing Watkins at 5 is better than trading with Detroit and grabbing Jake Matthews/Whoever assuming Teddy/Mack/Clowney are gone

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Agreed. I'm not 100% sold that grabbing Watkins at 5 is better than trading with Detroit and grabbing Jake Matthews/Whoever

With the receiver depth in this draft, combined with the lack of a solid QB on the roster, I don't see the sense in taking Watkins. If they could do like Cincy did when they took Green in the first and Dalton in the second, that might work. But otherwise I think Watkins is a luxury they really can't afford.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Regarding the Raiders and their cap space: what is preventing them from giving Bradford-like money to their 5th pick on the Monday after the draft, and sort of forcing the Texans, Rams, Jags and Browns (and the whole NFL for that matter) to spend a lot more on their rookies than they thought?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Because the salaries are already slotted

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

There's no way Houston would pass up on a quarterback with a premier pass rusher with a first year offensive coach, except for that last time where they did exactly that.

:lol: I wouldn't mind, but statements like "There's a reason why Bill O'Brien took this job" when he admitted on radio a week after his initial press conference that he hadn't done any film review yet of the QBs, and I don't think anyone's asked him about Mack or Clowney. I'm just pointing out how you've immediately swerved to the Next Great Hope at QB from Keenum to Bridgewater and now suddenly Bortles. Stop changing allegiances at the drop of a hat; Teddy's Pro Day doesn't magically erase all of his great game tape.

Anyways, what did you have in mind for specific avatars?

I'm not even that high on Bortles bhsman...I don't understand why you're thinking this. It's just something that I think has a very high chance of happening. I'm more irritated that this lowers the chance of the Texans taking Bridgewater, if anything. The loving text under my avatar should give you a good idea of my opinion of Keenum. I loved watching him play, and he did a great job of clinching the #1 pick for us. For that I'll always like the guy. The first couple of games were pretty exciting though - he can throw one hell of a deep ball.

In regards to Kubiak, yes, that's a fair statement, but Williams was a higher rated prospect and you're loving kidding yourself if you think Vince "loving" Young rates to the level of any of the top three quarterbacks. Yes, he got drafted #3 overall, but lets be real, Bud Adams was in the advanced stages of dementia by that point. Not to mention that Kubiak had to say he could turn around David Carr, to the point where they were numerous reports back then that it was a Bob McNair requirement. The situations are, admittedly, similar, but there are enough variables involved that you can't make a blanket 1 to 1 statement.

In terms of avatars, how about the loser gets a picture of who was taken #1 overall with some silly flattering comments below the picture? We are Texans fans after all, I get no pleasure in watching someone who roots for the same team I do with some stupid My Little Pony avatar. You and I are on clearly different sides of the fence here, and I think it would be fun to put our...avatars where our mouth is.

In Bortles we trust...I guess. Sigh. Blaine Gabbert 2.0 may not be too far off of a comparison.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

Regarding the Raiders and their cap space: what is preventing them from giving Bradford-like money to their 5th pick on the Monday after the draft, and sort of forcing the Texans, Rams, Jags and Browns (and the whole NFL for that matter) to spend a lot more on their rookies than they thought?

Rookie contracts are capped iirc.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Let's talk about how silly some Texans fans are over at a certain blog for thinking the Texans are going to get a third round pick out of the Raiders for Schaub :v:

No way the Niners get a 2nd for Smith. :v: Jokes aside, I would love even a 5th for Schaub; that's three picks in a round that could still have guys like JC Copeland, De'Anthony Thomas, Ricardo Allen, etc.

Toymachine posted:

It's not that, it's the fact that his deep ball accuracy is really bad at times. Go watch his vaunted bowl game against Florida and see how he does on deep passes. The guy is an A+ prospect from the neck up and can hit the intermediate routes like Brady, but his deep ball is really bad.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hope the Texans loving take Sammy Watkins and Case Keenum blows up so I can never have to read another treatise on why Bortles is already a bust

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Disillusionist posted:

With the receiver depth in this draft, combined with the lack of a solid QB on the roster, I don't see the sense in taking Watkins. If they could do like Cincy did when they took Green in the first and Dalton in the second, that might work. But otherwise I think Watkins is a luxury they really can't afford.

The only way I see them grabbing Watkins is if they feel like their FA acquisitions in the pass rush department and the offensive line are sufficient to get them through the season and Bridgewater/Mack/Clowney aren't there. I'd rather have Watkins and an OT/Carr in the 2nd than Bortles/Manziel/OT in the first.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Doltos posted:

I hope the Texans loving take Sammy Watkins and Case Keenum blows up so I can never have to read another treatise on why Bortles is already a bust

Only if we also take Tajh Boyd.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^^How does Watkins->Mettenberger->JuWuan James->Justin Ellis sound?

Kirios posted:

In terms of avatars, how about the loser gets a picture of who was taken #1 overall with some silly flattering comments below the picture? We are Texans fans after all, I get no pleasure in watching someone who roots for the same team I do with some stupid My Little Pony avatar. You and I are on clearly different sides of the fence here, and I think it would be fun to put our...avatars where our mouth is.

I'm not sure how we would even determine the winner/loser. Are you now assuming Bortles will be the pick and Clowney for me? What happens if we're both wrong? Etc.

Anyways, my point is that you shouldn't take the Pro Day results so seriously for Teddy. It will be just another piece of the puzzle, not never moreso than his game tape.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

I'm not sure how we would even determine the winner/loser. Are you now assuming Bortles will be the pick and Clowney for me? What happens if we're both wrong? Etc.

Anyways, my point is that you shouldn't take the Pro Day results so seriously for Teddy. It will be just another piece of the puzzle, not never moreso than his game tape.

I take the Pro Day results seriously in regards to it hurting the chances of the Texans taking Teddy. That's all you need to read into it.

Well, lets say QB vs the field for the wager. If the Texans take Sammy Watkins or Barr I think that still counts as a victory in your hands.

bhsman posted:

^^^^How does Watkins->Mettenberger->JuWuan James->Justin Ellis sound?

Why would we take Watkins? Zach Mettenberger I say no only because he wears #8. I've had enough of quarterbacks with that number - it's time to go in a new direction.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Might not mean anything, but O'Brien got to see Bortles first hand this year when PSU lost to UCF, and Bortles played pretty good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Butthead posted:

Might not mean anything, but O'Brien got to see Bortles first hand this year when PSU lost to UCF, and Bortles played pretty good.

Before even taking the Texans job Bill O'Brien was on record saying he thought very highly of Bortles. That plays into me thinking the way I do with Bill and the #1 pick.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

I take the Pro Day results seriously in regards to it hurting the chances of the Texans taking Teddy. That's all you need to read into it.

And that's why O'Brien is the coach and you and I are here posting on SA. :v:

quote:

Well, lets say QB vs the field for the wager. If the Texans take Sammy Watkins or Barr I think that still counts as a victory in your hands.

I've got a Bill And Ted's Excellent Photoshop already on my hands, so I'm good. Clowney would just be a picture him with a clown nose.

quote:

Why would we take Watkins? Zach Mettenberger I say no only because he wears #8. I've had enough of quarterbacks with that number - it's time to go in a new direction.

We would (theoretically) take Watkins because the FO thinks Andre only has a year or two left (before proceeding to put up two 1600/110/15 seasons), and having Sammy and Nuk would lock down the top of our wideout positions.

Also :lol: at the No. 8 comment; oh no he has the same number as our multi-Pro Bowl QB. :rolleyes:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh come on, I certainly hope you didn't take that #8 comment seriously. I like Nuke enough as a potential #1 that I feel like taking Watkins would be a luxury pick....not to mention I don't think he's a #1 talent. I'm not even sure if I think he's a top 10 talent, honestly.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kirios posted:

I'm not even sure if I think he's a top 10 talent, honestly.

cmon kirios

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Kirios posted:

Oh come on, I certainly hope you didn't take that #8 comment seriously. I like Nuke enough as a potential #1 that I feel like taking Watkins would be a luxury pick....not to mention I don't think he's a #1 talent. I'm not even sure if I think he's a top 10 talent, honestly.

Watkins is probably the best WR prospect to come out since AJ Green. And then probably Megatron before that.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

If BOB is as good at QB development as people say I'd be thrilled with Bortles. I don't know if that's just his talking point though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

cmon kirios

Wanna see that Kirios big board

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Toymachine posted:

Watkins is probably the best WR prospect to come out since AJ Green. And then probably Megatron before that.

Iffy. I'd put him on the same level as Blackmon.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mmm...I liked Justin Blackmon more than Sammy Watkins coming out, honestly. Sammy would probably be in my top 10 but he'd be in the lower half of it for sure.

Here's people I know I like more than Watkins off the top of my head:

Bridgewater
Bortles
Manziel
Clowney
Robinson
Matthews
Mack

...looking at the list that's all I definitely see as superior to him. So that would put him at #8...second tier of players for me. And that would be before debating him between Barr, Dennard (Who I like a lot), Evans and Ebron.

Am I really that out of line for suggesting he's not the most amazing prospect ever? All I said was "I'm not even sure I think he's a top 10 talent, honestly." I will say that I'm pretty high on Evans though, I think he's a stud. So for the fact that I'm putting Watkins in that category means that I think he's a great prospect, just not one of those every 4-5 years like Green or Calvin Johnson, which I feel is very reasonable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Valuing multiple linemen over a top-flight WR

the football season may be over but it's always in-season here at TFF

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Toymachine posted:

Wait next year for this kind of talk about the best WR in the class :)

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
A lot of the draft guys I follow on Twitter have expressed serious concern about Bortles' lower body mechanics, saying it fucks with his deep ball placement despite his arm strength. Obviously that could potentially be fixed, but it could be a Stafford type situation where he reverts to bad habits in games all the time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Valuing multiple linemen over a top-flight WR

the football season may be over but it's always in-season here at TFF

Watching the top part of the 2012 Draft with TFF was glorious. It was the draft we always wanted. :allears:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You must have loved 2009 when Monroe, Oher, Smith, and Smith came out. That draft also had Beatty/Britton as fringe first rounders, Alex Mack and Eric Wood, and Levitre/Vasquez. It was literally a goon wet dream draft.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For my part, my list is:

1) Clowney
2) Watkins
3) Robinson
4) Mack
5) Matthews
6) Aaron Donald
7) Bridgewater
8) Barr
9) Evans
10) Ebron

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Blake bortles purely as a prospect is higher than clowney yup ok

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Blake bortles purely as a prospect is higher than clowney yup ok

He beat Penn State that one time, though. :eng101: In Kirios's defense, I think he was just naming players without assigning a rank.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Correct - I was just naming players.

*sigh* Fine, I'll throw myself out there. Here's my top 10:

1. Robinson
2. Mack
3. Bridgewater
4. Clowney
5. Matthews
6. Manziel
7. Bortles
8. Dennard
9. Evans
10. Watkins

Yes...I think Greg Robinson is the best prospect in the draft.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

Correct - I was just naming players.

*sigh* Fine, I'll throw myself out there. Here's my top 10:

1. Robinson
2. Mack
3. Bridgewater
4. Clowney
5. Matthews
6. Manziel
7. Bortles
8. Dennard
9. Evans
10. Watkins

Yes...I think Greg Robinson is the best prospect in the draft.

I'm surprised at where you rank Mack and Clowney; are you giving brownie points for him being more polished or what?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mack reminds me a lot of Von Miller - I think he's an absolute monster and difference maker as a 3-4 OLB. He's someone that I fully expect to produce 12+ sack seasons year in and year out. This may sound strange but I actually like Clowney most as a 3-4 defensive end. I don't think his pass rushing ability is nearly to the level that Mack's is, and that's why I have Mack rated higher. It's actually very close to me between Robinson and Mack as the best player in the draft.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Aniki posted:

Tampa Bay could also be an option to take Bridgewater, but they seem to be in the process of rebuilding their offensive line, so he may not be a clear option for them if one of the top two OTs is still on the board.

They just signed a LT, extended their RT, and signed a new Center. The only offensive line pieces they might draft are at Guard. They'd probably take a LT if all three QBs, Watkins, Mack, and Clowney are gone and even then I think they'd just go best defensive player available.

Lovie is on the record saying they'll take a QB if one is available and they've addressed every major hole in FA so based on their draft position and their roster the weakest position on the team now is QB.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So there's still hope for Manziel in the NFC is what I'm hearing (delusional).

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Relentlessboredomm posted:

They just signed a LT, extended their RT, and signed a new Center. The only offensive line pieces they might draft are at Guard. They'd probably take a LT if all three QBs, Watkins, Mack, and Clowney are gone and even then I think they'd just go best defensive player available.

Lovie is on the record saying they'll take a QB if one is available and they've addressed every major hole in FA so based on their draft position and their roster the weakest position on the team now is QB.

Thanks for clearing that up. I noticed that they were jettisoning quite a few offensive linemen, but I hadn't really paid attention to whether they were signing replacements or not.

What's the deal with bailing on Glennon already? I know that he was Schiano's "guy," but he was a third round pick thrown into a starting role earlier than expected and at least superficially put up some decent numbers. He seems like a guy who deserves some more time, even if that time is sitting behind McCown. Was there anything that you saw in his first season starting that made you feel that he is a dead end?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

You must have loved 2009 when Monroe, Oher, Smith, and Smith came out. That draft also had Beatty/Britton as fringe first rounders, Alex Mack and Eric Wood, and Levitre/Vasquez. It was literally a goon wet dream draft.

Last year was the real goon wet dream. Fisher, Joekel, warmack, fluker, Pugh, long, cooper, and lane Johnson, all in the first round. I might even be forgetting someone.

And the center Dallas took whose name I forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Febreeze posted:

Last year was the real goon wet dream. Fisher, Joekel, warmack, fluker, Pugh, long, cooper, and lane Johnson, all in the first round. I might even be forgetting someone.

And the center Dallas took whose name I forget

Frederick.

• Locked thread