Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz-pG13LBcI

P3M movie 2 preview. Looks like they make it through August based on the previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I started Persona 4 Golden finally, and oh man, Chie's voice actor is the same woman who did Midori in Devil Survivor - Overclocked. I loving hated Midori! To be fair, I think she was designed that way, but her voice scarred my brain. I never played the original P4, so I don't have any reference regarding Chie's previous VO, but I'm so conflicted about Chie now.

Overall, it's pretty great. Happy to finally be playing it. I've gotta prepare for all the sequel/spin-offs later this year :P

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Machine posted:

I started Persona 4 Golden finally, and oh man, Chie's voice actor is the same woman who did Midori in Devil Survivor - Overclocked. I loving hated Midori! To be fair, I think she was designed that way, but her voice scarred my brain. I never played the original P4, so I don't have any reference regarding Chie's previous VO, but I'm so conflicted about Chie now.

Overall, it's pretty great. Happy to finally be playing it. I've gotta prepare for all the sequel/spin-offs later this year :P

If her voice was grating to you, then it's a sign that the VA did a fantastic job. :v:

On her twitter, Erin Fitzgerald admitted that it was the direction they wanted for Midori, so if you hear her voice anywhere else it won't be nearly as insufferable.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Oh I'm not saying it wasn't good VO, haha. She did a great job making Midori just about unbearable as a dorky famous cosplayer. The sucky thing is I keep hearing tinges of it in Chie's VO (particularly in the s's) and that makes me sad.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
How much grinding should I be doing in soul hackers? Seems like I just hit a big difficulty spike at the Astronomy Museum. I'm level 14 at the moment.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus is doing another sale on the US eShop. Pretty much anything they publish is on sale through 3/31

Atlus: Preorder the special edition, or wait for the sale next week.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Would be tempting to pick up Soul Hackers or something if Nintendo wasn't literally the worst at digital rights. Why do you still think it's 1998, Nintendo? :argh:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm thinking I might get Devil Survivor Overclocked if its like $10 or $15 but yeah I'm a little worried if I have enough data blocks on my current Memory Unit! Kilobytes are scary :ohdear:!

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm thinking I might get Devil Survivor Overclocked if its like $10 or $15 but yeah I'm a little worried if I have enough data blocks on my current Memory Unit! Kilobytes are scary :ohdear:!

If you don't have enough blocks it will warn you before letting you buy it.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Couldn't you just back your stuff up on a PC? Does that even work with 3DS data? I've never actually tried, but everything seems to be stored in files, and I guess with some trial and error you could figure out what's what.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Probably, but the games are tied to the system. You can't just copy the game onto as many 3DS' as you want. You can do a data transfer to another 3DS (which is one way and permanent) but if it's stolen you're out of luck. I'm not sure how Nintendo's support for that kind of situation is.

You can't just plug in someone else's SD card into your system and play whatever games are on it.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 18, 2014

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Because of the way the files are encripted or whatever, you can't really remove only the data of any specific game or application. What you can do is one of the following:

a) Buy a new SD card. You can easily double your storage capacity without spending too much money. In this case you can copy the files from your old SD card to your PC, and to your new SD. You won't lose anything and you'll have more blocks.

b) Use two different SD cards at once (if you have a spare one). This means you would have different games and/or save data on each one of the cards, so it's a bit of a pain, but doable.

c) Use the same SD card as if it were multiple ones. You copy your files to your PC and use it as a new one. Which is basically the worse option, since it would mean having not only to "switch cards" but copying the current files stored in the SD card to your PC and replacing them with the other ones every time you need them.

I'd definitely recommend a). As far as I know, there's no way to merge two different SD cards, so if you try b) or c) you're stuck with that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It turns out the default card a 2DS ships with can hold Pokemon and Devil Survivor Overclocked together comfortably, so I'll be getting that. Any non-telegraphed trap options or huge missables I need to know about?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

It turns out the default card a 2DS ships with can hold Pokemon and Devil Survivor Overclocked together comfortably, so I'll be getting that. Any non-telegraphed trap options or huge missables I need to know about?

Don't make your MC strength based. All the skills and poo poo that make str viable in Overclocked are tucked away for the most part in the Day 8 scenarios.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Don't make your MC strength based. All the skills and poo poo that make str viable in Overclocked are tucked away for the most part in the Day 8 scenarios.

Noted! I usually tend towards squishy casterness when I have the option anyway.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Wait DSOC is on the eShop? Since when?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Wait DSOC is on the eShop? Since when?

No idea, but it is and it's $20 for the rest of the month.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

It's really easy to kill off characters just going through the plot normally. It ain't like DS2 where whoever is supposed to die is telegraphed heavily. You might want to look up a walkthrough for that if you care about that sort of stuff.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

It's really easy to kill off characters just going through the plot normally. It ain't like DS2 where whoever is supposed to die is telegraphed heavily. You might want to look up a walkthrough for that if you care about that sort of stuff.

It should be noted that if you want anything other than the chump ending, there's one character that absolutely has to live, and it's annoyingly easy to let them die if you forget about a couple of events. I think Overclocked gave you a bit more notification about those events, but just in case make sure to prioritize keeping Haru alive.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm 9 minutes in, I got this chick named YooHoo, my hacked spirit DS is telling me about future crimes, I think this is going be a good game.

E: Demon Summoning Program is ready to boot on your magic DS is quite possibly my favorite line of anything ever. This game is so cool I haven't been this confused but down since I started FES the first time.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 18, 2014

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

I think Overclocked gave you a bit more notification about those events, but just in case make sure to prioritize keeping Haru alive.

Yuzu asks you if you want her to remind you to go to a certain place at a certain time, so unless you tell her not to and then forget about it, it's hard to miss. So keep that in mind.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't see this posted, so here's a reminder that SMT I in English is available on the iOS store today. It's even discounted to $6 until March 31.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm 9 minutes in, I got this chick named YooHoo, my hacked spirit DS is telling me about future crimes, I think this is going be a good game.

E: Demon Summoning Program is ready to boot on your magic DS is quite possibly my favorite line of anything ever. This game is so cool I haven't been this confused but down since I started FES the first time.

Pay no attention to the battery indicator. They make it 'discharge' as time in the game passes. I was so used to having one in pokemon that I thought my 3DS was broken.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Strange Quark posted:

I didn't see this posted, so here's a reminder that SMT I in English is available on the iOS store today. It's even discounted to $6 until March 31.

Oh man, I forgot that came out today! I know what I'm spending my lunch break doing! :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just started playing. Any good tips on early game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MonsieurChoc posted:

It'd help to know which game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Leper Colon V posted:

It'd help to know which game.

The one we were talking about, SMT the First. Sorry, I thought context was obvious.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno if you've played Soul Hackers, but if you have, be aware that the Magnetite system is also in SMT I, and magnetite is incredibly tight until you're past a certain event. If you haven't, you require Magnetite to keep demons summoned, or to summon them at all, and it goes down for every step you take with a demon summoned.

Also, demons don't level up at all, so fuse like there's no tomorrow. No skill inheritance either, so watch that.

EDIT: Oh, and there are 3 seperate places to heal, Law, Neutral, and Chaos, with the price depending on your alignment.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 18, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also like in Soul Hackers, the protagonist doesn't ever get any MP or spells, so the magic stat is completely useless for him, and intelligence is worth pumping because it makes demon negotiations smoother. The Law Hero is more magic focused, and the Chaos Hero more physical based.

This won't come up for a while, but you should keep in mind that bosses aren't immune to Charm.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Noted! I usually tend towards squishy casterness when I have the option anyway.

Oddly enough, casters are probably the least squishy characters in Devil Survivor games. That's because Strength and Magic not only determine the damage you do but also your defense against their respective damage types (along with vit). It's fairly easy to get null/reflect/absorb phys but a lot harder to get some kind of resistance against all the types of magic attacks (and almighty will still mess you up anyway). So having a high magic stat plus high vit will actually make you as tanky as a character can get in the game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

MonsieurChoc posted:

Try to get neutral if you can. It's not too hard if you're clever, and the branching points are pretty obvious. Um...vague future spoilers, but when given a chance to visit world leaders, don't go to the white guy first.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Strange Quark posted:

The Law Hero is more magic focused, and the Chaos Hero more physical based.

Not necessarily true, the Chaos Hero is actually a really amazing spell caster and most of the early game is incredibly weak to his spells. He drops off in utility in the latter half of the game but that's not really a bad thing.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 18, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Try to get neutral if you can. It's not too hard if you're clever, and the branching points are pretty obvious. Um...vague future spoilers, but when given a chance to visit world leaders, don't go to the white guy first.

I knew it, you can never trust whitey. :tinfoil:

I ended up going with 5 points each in STr, Vit and Agi with the last 3 points in Int for MC, with a 9/9 split between Int and Mag for Law (should have gone for full Mag :( ), 9 in Str and Vit for Chaos and all points in Mage for the heroine. We'll soon see if I'm screwed before I even started!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So speaking of Devil Survivor Overclocked, am I penalized if I switch people's demons around? I'd like to swap Yuzu's and my PC's starting demons to make both of them a little more versatile, and I see that the team interface will let me, but I'm hoping it's not a situation like Nocturne where if my starting ally leaves my party I miss out on stuff.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

So speaking of Devil Survivor Overclocked, am I penalized if I switch people's demons around? I'd like to swap Yuzu's and my PC's starting demons to make both of them a little more versatile, and I see that the team interface will let me, but I'm hoping it's not a situation like Nocturne where if my starting ally leaves my party I miss out on stuff.

You're fine. Your demons are all pretty much disposable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

projecthalaxy posted:

Nothing at all like this, go nuts with demon arrangements.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I went ahead and bought SMT on iOS in support of its existence, but I really hope Atlus ports it to a platform I actually own a device for :v

I'll take an Android, 3DS, Vita, and Steam copies please.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I knew it, you can never trust whitey. :tinfoil:

I ended up going with 5 points each in STr, Vit and Agi with the last 3 points in Int for MC, with a 9/9 split between Int and Mag for Law (should have gone for full Mag :( ), 9 in Str and Vit for Chaos and all points in Mage for the heroine. We'll soon see if I'm screwed before I even started!

Yeah, you should definitely pump Magic for the Heroine.

Probably won't help much, but here were my final stat spreads for the game:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
How does SMT look on the iPad mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really hope this leads to other Super Famicom MegaTens getting translated. Want them to come out on other platforms though so I can actually buy it. I finished SMT I last weekend though so I'm not any rush to replay it. Aside from jank for being an RPG made in 1992, SMT I is a great game. I'd like to go into SMT II, but I'm worried I'd get burnt out quickly if I jumped into immediately into it.