Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I assumed mollusks had infiltrated the plumbing and nothing will change my mind :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the most likely answer is that someone owned one or more aquariums, and decided to clean them out in the tub. I have several vivariums and by far the most convenient way to clean them is using the detatchable shower handle thing in the bathtub, because hosing them out in the yard means I can't use hot water and I always get bits of grass and stuff stuck to the wet tank while trying to get it rinsed off.

So someone dumped an aquarium full of shells out into the tub and then instead of scooping up all the shells and sand and stuff they just rinsed it down the hole like a moron.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

NancyPants posted:

nothing will change my mind :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would still say probably kids. When my sister was 4, she was obsessed with the acorns that would fall out of the oak tree in our back yard. She'd fill her pockets with them, take them to school, put them in her dollhouse. We'd regularly find acorns inside drawers, or in the bathtub, or in the fridge on a shelf, or whatever.

One day our VCR stopped accepting tapes. Guess what the repairman found!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Holy poo poo I think I need to boycott Home Depot.

Order 2 windows Feb 10th for my addition (that was likely built by chimps).
Feb 15th, still no confirmation that they have been shipped, wait on hold, get the run-around "should ship within 48 hours".
Feb 20th, still no confirmation that they have been shipped, wait on hold, get the run-around "should ship within 48 hours".
Feb 25th, still no confirmation that they have been shipped, wait on hold, get the run-around "should ship within 48 hours".
March 3rd (expected delivery date), still no confirmation that they have been shipped, wait on hold, get the run-around "should ship within 48 hours".
March 8th, I tell them they either ship them within the next three days or I am cancelling.
March 13th, I call them and tell them I am cancelling my order (a full 5 days later).
March 14th, walk into Home Hardware (2 minutes down the road, walk out 15 minutes later with 2 windows ($40 more total than Home Depot)
March 15th, Install windows. . . $350 transaction shows up on my Mastercard from Home Depot! Check email, "Your order has been shipped!"

Fffffffffffffff.... :argh:

Best part is that I have to get on the phone with Home Depot tomorrow and listen to their horrible "hold music" that loops every 2 minutes, but the pause is long enough to make you think the person on the other line is picking up again. . . every time!

Pictures!

Started with a very poorly insulated death trap that could have resulted in the bathtub falling through the ceiling (2x4's and cracked 2x6's that were severely notched and bowed, a bowed wall with no king studs in it, and missing headers for some of the windows (one in a weight bearing wall). I've already installed some king studs, two headers, some insulation but no beams in the ceiling when I took the photos.

Hmmm, I wonder where all of my heat is going? Oh this might be a spot. It would also explain the melting snow on the roof in this exact area. The frost on the nails is a dead give-away.

New windows installed at each end of the room. A few king studs, some beams in the ceiling, and a few bats of insulation. A little vapour barrier, some drywall, and the place is starting to look presentable.

Going to finish the last of the vapour barrier and drywall tomorrow, then I'll be ready to track down a laser level so I can do the drop ceiling justice. Normally I'm not a fan of the stuff, but I hate doing drywall on the ceiling and it's nice to have easy access to the pipes that run in the ceiling, should the need arise. I have yet to track down the contractor or previous home owner who gave birth to this abortion of an addition, but that also might be a good thing.

Since this is going to be a glorified dog's bedroom/mudroom/crafting area, I'm trying to track down some linoleum flooring remnant that looks decent, but even a small 8x16' room like this is wandering into the $400 price range, and if that's the case I might as well get some industrial strength laminate flooring for that price.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Stagger those seams you doofus

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The room's exactly two sheets long and this way involves 600% less cutting. The two cut out sections for the windows fit almost perfectly in a closet I'm redoing as well, and staggering the sheets would have meant I'd have had 4 smaller pieces that would have just been trashed. I don't want to brag, but once I get the mud and tape flying, you'll never see those seams once the primer and paint is on. (because I'll never post a picture showing it :ssh:)

Seriously, if it were anything more than a glorified dog's bedroom I would definitely do it. Also before you mention it, my mom was in charge of putting in the drywall screws, so that's why there are approximately 150 per sheet.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 15, 2014

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Munin posted:

Well, I presume they are not whole sheels otherwise they'd never have gotten down the drain. If it's a house on the beach it might have been bits of shell stuck on people which went down the drain as they washed themseves down. There'd be sand as well but that would slowly settle towards the bottom of the pipe.

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people like having shells in their bathroom as decorations + kids are loving awful.

EroticRobot posted:

...how? how?? I'm in the process of house hunting right now, and I can't even imagine. Did someone put them there? Did they magically materialize? Why??? :gonk:

Whole shells. I live nowhere near the beach, and they're relatively small, so decoration+children seems reasonable. The weird thing is that the push-latch plug was flush enough that you couldn't fit the shells through the gap. I don't see how they could have gotten here without removing the plug. :circlefap:

In any case, there were few enough of them and they were close enough to the surface that I got all of the visible ones out with a bent coat hanger.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

My dad is an electrical engineer working for NASA at KSC and holy gently caress every single connection everywhere in my parents' house is up to the goddamn NASA spec in one way or another because he's insane, I can attest to them being loving indestructible connections.

If they ever sell their house, shoot me a PM.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrYenko posted:

If they ever sell their house, shoot me a PM.

Are you sure? You realize it will cost at least a billion dollars...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Support your deck UNDER the floor boards, not outside perimeter.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
The railing looks sturdy at least!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Blistex posted:

home_depot.txt

How did that turn out in the end?

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Nitrox posted:

That is exactly why the required pedestrians loads for design are so high, 100 psf for commercial use. The news report said 24 people where involved, if it's 23 in the group posing and they average 150 a person, that's 3500 lb in a really concentrated area.

The live load for residential decks is only 40 psf, think of that the next time you have a large group over for a party.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Missing Name posted:

How did that turn out in the end?

They said the charge to my Mastercard should be reversed in 48 hours. If this is the same 48 hours I was told it would take for my windows to ship, I'm guessing I'll get that refund sometime around April 26th. Up until now most of my experiences with Home Depot (with the exception of condescending "experts" in-store) has been pretty favourable. This on the other hand has really soured me. All they had to do was make a phone call and say, "Bill, throw two of these 48x23" Jeldwen's on the truck, here is the temp paperwork". That should have happened after my first call, but instead they obviously wanted to see if doing nothing would work.

As long as the money is returned I'm happy. I have two new windows installed (courtesy of Home Hardware) and I've already started mudding the drywall. All I have to do is huff a little dust then prime, and try to find some affordable linoleum remnants that look good and are the right size.

What I'm actually worried about is getting the room finished before my wife gets back. I told her I had a big surprise for her, and I don't want it to be a dusty, room with no cupboards or flooring.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Blistex posted:

What I'm actually worried about is getting the room finished before my wife gets back. I told her I had a big surprise for her, and I don't want it to be a dusty, room with no cupboards or flooring.

Did you actually say it was a good surprise?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

GreenNight posted:

Did you actually say it was a good surprise?

I think it was implied, but I might have bit off more than I can chew since the flooring is going to cost a pile, and I still don't know if I will have a job at the end of this month (another possibly lovely surprise).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't know if you know this, but you might be bad at surprises.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

That reminds me of a deck that collapsed at a Grateful Dead concert near where I lived maybe 20 years ago? A couple dozen Deadheads ended up not going to the emergency room until the next day. Gee, I wonder why...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Home Depot Update: I got home from work today and found two windows on my front step. Naturally I was pretty pissed and somehow managed to maintain my composure on the phone with them. Apparently their system is loving useless and this happens all the time (said the service rep I talked to this time) and she is mailing me a $50 Home Depot gift card. As luck would have it my mother is going to be driving past a Home Depot on the way to the airport next monday, so she'll be able to drop if off and I won't have to drive 4 hours (round trip) to do it.

I don't know if anyone else here has any experience with their online side, but I would be very wary of ordering anything big off their site.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The order went through because you told them to cancel it, and someone was hoping they could rush it and you would just buy them after all, thus not affecting whatever manager's sales numbers for the quarter.

At least, that's what the pessimistic conspiracy theorist in me says.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The realist in me says that the same complete retard who wrote their search engine also was responsible for their order fulfillment system.

Their website is awful, but it used to be worse. Way worse.

It's still bad enough that I certainly would never trust it with financial details or a password I used anywhere else. You know that poo poo is stored in plaintext on an old desktop jammed under someone's desk and probably fed through the encryption equivalent of Blistex's porch-room instead of being properly protected.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I will say that I like the Home Depot website because it shows store location and (usually) has an accurate level of stock. I do enjoy not have to drive out to the store only to find the item I need it out of stock.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

sbyers77 posted:

I will say that I like the Home Depot website because it shows store location and (usually) has an accurate level of stock. I do enjoy not have to drive out to the store only to find the item I need it out of stock.
I have literally never found what I was looking for with Home Depot's search engine. But glad to know that if I ever accidentally do, it will tell me stock quantity. "2x4" - 5,000 results, first 72 are cabinet hinges.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

kid sinister posted:

That reminds me of a deck that collapsed at a Grateful Dead concert near where I lived maybe 20 years ago? A couple dozen Deadheads ended up not going to the emergency room until the next day. Gee, I wonder why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Chicago_balcony_collapse

When I lived in these kinds of places in Chicago in the 80's/90's, everybody knew that it wasn't quite right to have that many people on porches, but did it anyway, because it's nice outside, and it's a party.

But drat, it was a massacre.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Slugworth posted:

I have literally never found what I was looking for with Home Depot's search engine. But glad to know that if I ever accidentally do, it will tell me stock quantity. "2x4" - 5,000 results, first 72 are cabinet hinges.

Building materials can be hit or miss, and the search does suck, but if you browse by category and choose "in-store" you can generally find what types of things are available easily.

Say I need a new porch light. I can go Lighting & Ceiling Fans > Outdoor Lighting > Outdoor Wall Mounted Lighting then click the In-Store tab. That sorts it more or less by all the porch lights in my local store. Then if I find one I like I can see whether or not if its in-stock.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Unless you know the exact brand name or the strange/confusing terms they used to list their building materials, your best bet is to go by category like sbyers77 said. I think they used to have drywall listed under a Latin translation of its name and I'm sure their 4x8' polystyrene insulation boards were the chemical compounds. Also aluminium flashing is still listed under its atomic mass.

I honestly can't imagine what their user interface that customer service has to use looks like. I asked the associate what the status of my order was and if it showed that it had been cancelled twice, <cue 5 minutes of her typing and clicking> and she replied, "in transit".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blistex posted:

Unless you know the exact brand name or the strange/confusing terms they used to list their building materials, your best bet is to go by category like sbyers77 said. I think they used to have drywall listed under a Latin translation of its name and I'm sure their 4x8' polystyrene insulation boards were the chemical compounds. Also aluminium flashing is still listed under its atomic mass.

I honestly can't imagine what their user interface that customer service has to use looks like. I asked the associate what the status of my order was and if it showed that it had been cancelled twice, <cue 5 minutes of her typing and clicking> and she replied, "in transit".

I know the search engine isn't great......but to go back to the lumber lookups and stuff: I'm pretty sure the biggest problems people have is that lumber isn't sold online. So you won't get results for it unless.....

Click on "Pro Site" at the top (probably not necessary). Search for 2x4. Lauch at the results. Click on the "In Store" tab and put in your zip, choose a store. Now you get real results.

Yes, I know it should be more intuitive. Literally any other way of notifying you of this or just making the results show up would be better. But there you have it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Click on "Pro Site" at the top (probably not necessary). Search for 2x4. Lauch at the results. Click on the "In Store" tab and put in your zip, choose a store. Now you get real results.

Man, any time you can buy from Home Depot's contractor store instead of their normal-people store, you should. For example, the lumber at my local contractor store is not horribly warped, twisted poo poo like it is at the normal store. It's not surprising that the same holds true for their website.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Blistex posted:

Home Depot Update: I got home from work today and found two windows on my front step. Naturally I was pretty pissed and somehow managed to maintain my composure on the phone with them. Apparently their system is loving useless and this happens all the time (said the service rep I talked to this time) and she is mailing me a $50 Home Depot gift card. As luck would have it my mother is going to be driving past a Home Depot on the way to the airport next monday, so she'll be able to drop if off and I won't have to drive 4 hours (round trip) to do it.

I don't know if anyone else here has any experience with their online side, but I would be very wary of ordering anything big off their site.

I've had no problems with a few orders but I did do a ship to store which didn't ship for 2 months and then I waited a week or two before picking it up and they had already shipped it back by then.

Otherwise I have to say I generally love Home Depot compared to the competition.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Remulak posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Chicago_balcony_collapse

When I lived in these kinds of places in Chicago in the 80's/90's, everybody knew that it wasn't quite right to have that many people on porches, but did it anyway, because it's nice outside, and it's a party.

But drat, it was a massacre.

Yeah, we had a bad balcony collapse in Austin a few years back; no one died but a bunch were injured. Here's a pic:

If you can't figure it out, you're looking at the bottom of the balcony. Basically it was just attached to the wall with screws, no lag bolts through the ledger board, and it just popped off the wall and flipped over.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Basically it was just attached to the wall with screws, no lag bolts through the ledger board

:stare:

Please tell me someone lost their license for that.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Bad Munki posted:

I honestly can't remember what the outcome of that case was although I know building permits hadn't been pulled. It was a condo owned as a rental by an absentee landlord but I don't know if he was held responsible or if they even found the builder to go after him.

Here's another Austin one that is taught as a liability test case:

Pretty new balcony, even has some supports and isn't simply cantilevered.

But wait, it still fell?

:doh:

This was designed by a locally famous architect. He correctly spec'd lag bolts, the builder used 3 1/2" nails. However, locally famous architect took an extra fee to to help the owners guard against "defects and deficiencies." He claims that he was just there to make sure the building generally looked right, not to actually inspect construction. The owners said WTF, that's not what we thought we were paying you for. Architect was found to be 10% liable in a lawsuit by the woman that was paralyzed for life by the collapse. (long article)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How liable were the builders, though? I would sure as hell hope the remaining 90%. I mean loving come on, how can you not see that coming.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bad Munki posted:

A later follow up article says they found three possible violations (no permit, electrical violation, and too much impervious cover :rolleyes:) which could cost $2k each per day the structure was up. But that sort of fine would never happen and even if it looked possible the contractor's business would just dissolve and then reform under a new name. You know the drill.

Austin's Code Compliance enforcement is laughable. Another balcony collapse happened at an apartment complex and code enforcement found 760 violations because they normally don't routinely inspect apartments.

Bad Munki posted:

How liable were the builders, though? I would sure as hell hope the remaining 90%. I mean loving come on, how can you not see that coming.

Settled for $1.4m.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would look at this and naturally assume that the deck floor joists run into the wall and are sister-ed to the floor beams. Because that would be the smart thing to do and make that balcony sturdy as gently caress. But nope, 3" nails.

Edit: look at the lovely welds on the railing and a 2" gap in the floor. Who the gently caress looked ta that and said "Yes, that's what I want".

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 20, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Who the gently caress looked ta that and said "Yes, that's what I want".

The free market!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nitrox posted:

I would look at this and naturally assume that the deck floor joists run into the wall and are sister-ed to the floor beams. Because that would be the smart thing to do and make that balcony sturdy as gently caress. But nope, 3" nails.

Edit: look at the lovely welds on the railing and a 2" gap in the floor. Who the gently caress looked ta that and said "Yes, that's what I want".

Not only that, 3" nails in tension.

I'd consider standing on it if there were say six or seven heavy 3" nails in shear connecting each joist to each stud.

With them in tension into the sheathing/ledger board? hahaha, how about no. I wouldn't store a basket of empty beer bottles out there because cleaning up the broken glass after it collapsed would suck.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Shifty Pony posted:

A later follow up article says they found three possible violations (no permit, electrical violation, and too much impervious cover :rolleyes:) which could cost $2k each per day the structure was up. But that sort of fine would never happen and even if it looked possible the contractor's business would just dissolve and then reform under a new name. You know the drill.

Austin's Code Compliance enforcement is laughable. Another balcony collapse happened at an apartment complex and code enforcement found 760 violations because they normally don't routinely inspect apartments.

Settled for $1.4m.

$1.4m isn't nearly enough for never being able to walk again.

I always remind myself of something my friend in government purchasing told me. "You see that nice new walkway up there? Never forget it was built by the lowest bidder for as cheaply as they could make it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Architect was found to be 10% liable in a lawsuit by the woman that was paralyzed for life by the collapse. (long article)

The architect won his appeal.

The Statesman posted:

The Texas Supreme Court on Friday handed a legal victory to Austin architect Sinclair Black as the high court declined to hear the appeal of a McKinney woman who was partially paralyzed in a 2004 balcony collapse that she had alleged was partly Black's fault.
By declining to hear the case, the high court allowed to stand a July 2011 ruling by the 3rd Court of Appeals. That court had thrown out a jury's $410,000 verdict against Black, ruling that Black and his firm, Black + Vernooy, were not partially to blame for the balcony collapse at an Inks Lake home that left Lou Ann Smith paralyzed from the waist down.
Black and others in the architectural industry had argued that allowing the original jury's verdict to stand could have a chilling effect on the architectural profession.