Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Nerd :allears:

e: Oh poo poo page snipe. New page is up, go go!

:allears:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I don't remember, how do we know Spender was the subject of the "defeated the most powerful spirit" conversation? Is it possible they were talking about someone else? Isaac!?!

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Gonna go out on a limb here and say Gramps was the strong-willed ghost Isabelle was talking about. Grandpa and rookie Spender fought the strongest spirit, Gramps did the brunt of the work but was killed by Spirit, Spender landed the killing blow, Spirit then possessed Spender because there was nothing else handy/possible revenge attempt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They were talking about the 'Sunglasses Spectral'.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Spender happened to be passing by when the Actual Strongest Spectral was fighting the Strongest Spirit and inherited the rear end's sunglasses after the two killed each other.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Oh right, yeah that's clearly Spender. Okay.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
There is a guy watching in panel 6.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love how the first thing I do after reading a comic is comb over each panel's backgrounds. Saw the guy in the background, but who is that?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Don't be a dick, Forge, Spender tried really hard.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Spender wants to know who told Forge that because he wants to know who is talking him up instead of calling him a nerd

Spender is a nerd

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's going to turn out that Spender's being hilariously inefficient with the shadow spirit's powers; he just thinks the most effective style of using them looks dumb :allears:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm. Can Tools be damaged? That is, can they be damaged or broken while they're an active Tool, thereby releasing the spirit within?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tollymain posted:

It's going to turn out that Spender's being hilariously inefficient with the shadow spirit's powers; he just thinks the most effective style of using them looks dumb :allears:

He's gonna smirk and go "Heh... I didn't want to have to use this, but..."? Because man, that'd be more anime than ever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Exit Strategy posted:

Hmm. Can Tools be damaged? That is, can they be damaged or broken while they're an active Tool, thereby releasing the spirit within?
Yes. Zack has said they need to be ideologically (was that the word) intact or the spirit will escape. This happened to the target when grandpa exploded it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Splicer posted:

Yes. Zack has said they need to be ideologically (was that the word) intact or the spirit will escape. This happened to the target when grandpa exploded it.
So, it can be superficially damaged, but as long as it's still a working book or a plunger or what - have - you, it still works?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yep.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

MikeJF posted:

They were talking about the 'Sunglasses Spectral'.

Maybe the "Sunglasses Spectral" is actually a spectral that can summon giant killer sunglasses?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I love how pissed off Forge is by this turn of events. At the end of the previous strip he seemed completely resigned to his fate, and now he's just so angry that Spender hasn't lived up to his expectations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
So cracked sunglasses are still, conceptually, sunglasses. Just slightly shittier ones. Okay. I was going at this all "Is Spender a medium", but it seems possible that he is not.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think he is a medium. He's still got the shadow spirit and Zack hasn't shown us a tool for that one.

Also, I thought the fact that he literally never takes off his sunglasses was just because he was a big nerd, but I guess if he ever took off his sunglasses Lucifer wouldn't be able to access his mind to keep the shadow spirit imprisoned either, so...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero_Tactility posted:

I love how pissed off Forge is by this turn of events. At the end of the previous strip he seemed completely resigned to his fate, and now he's just so angry that Spender hasn't lived up to his expectations.

He was basically prepared to go out in a blaze of glory for the last half-dozen strips or so :allears:

Like I said though, I'm pretty sure that Spender is being stupid/an enormous dork and not effectively using his medium powers. I don't have much to go off of other than his reaction to what Forge just said and what Isabella's grandpa said, though.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think he is a medium. He's still got the shadow spirit and Zack hasn't shown us a tool for that one.

Also, I thought the fact that he literally never takes off his sunglasses was just because he was a big nerd, but I guess if he ever took off his sunglasses Lucifer wouldn't be able to access his mind to keep the shadow spirit imprisoned either, so...

I wonder if that was intentional: The purpose of sunglasses is to keep the light out. Spender wears them to keep the shadows in

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ezzer posted:

Spender wears them to keep the shadows in

Jesus christ, he's so anime.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

reignonyourparade posted:

Jesus christ, he's so anime.
Well, that's my secret...

...I'm always anime.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It feels like the word "anime" gets used to describe things in this thread more than it actually does. Y'all need new words.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

It feels like the word "anime" gets used to describe things in this thread more than it actually does. Y'all need new words.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Len posted:

Japanimation. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tinaun posted:

Japanimation. :colbert:
Hahaha no.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I love my japanimanga

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I feel like Spender taking out the strongest spirit was supposed to be a huge secret, based on his reaction to it. Doesn't seem like he's angry that someone's lying about him or anything.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Morrison-san fills me with hope for the acceptance of my japanese animes into mainstream pop culture in the West.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Angry Walrus posted:

Morrison-san fills me with hope for the acceptance of my japanese animes into mainstream pop culture in the West.

Stop this stop this right now we are not uncivilized swine we are goons. :mad:

Calaveron posted:

I feel like Spender taking out the strongest spirit was supposed to be a huge secret, based on his reaction to it. Doesn't seem like he's angry that someone's lying about him or anything.

He may be concerned because nobody's supposed to know that he's the strongest anime. People finding out may be why his bosses are looking at him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The shadow spirit could be in the sunglasses and the canary dude cold be in Spender's head.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
If that were the case, wouldn't Spender just not wear the glasses, and lock them away somewhere instead? The fact that he wears them literally all the time suggests to me that he doesn't have any other option.

EDIT: And is a massive dork.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Len posted:

Anime means "bad, useless, nerdy, or terrible" according to Fried Chicken's English dictionary so it has been used correctly :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Jokes aside, it seems like Spender is a pretty competent fighter on his own, if a humongous nerd. Maybe even very competent, but Forge is a true badass.

Most likely, assuming he did in fact kill the strongest spirit, it was more the shadow creature controlling him like a meat puppet when it happened. The abrupt bigass fireball seems like a setup for him to go back into headspace to strike up a Faustian bargain to survive.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Eh, I'd bet on Friday cutting to inside the train, or maybe dealing with Ollie freaking out after panel 6, and then cutting back to a different point in the Forge fight

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fried Chicken posted:

Eh, I'd bet on Friday cutting to inside the train, or maybe dealing with Ollie freaking out after panel 6, and then cutting back to a different point in the Forge fight

I can see that just as easily yeah. The discrepancy between Spender as advertised and Spender as seen might be explained later on.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The light spirit lives in the sunglasses he is always wearing. The dark spirit lives in the gloves he is always wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fried Chicken posted:

Anime means "bad, useless, nerdy, or terrible" according to Fried Chicken's English dictionary so it has been used correctly :colbert:

usage in a sentence: fried chicken why are you so anime

:owned:

This leads into one of two things: Spender is as badass as people claim him to be, he's just holding back for dramatic purposes because he's a nerd, or he's a nerd that got some fake rep and is gonna get his rear end kicked now because he's a nerd. Either way, he's a nerd.