Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Doltos posted:

cmon kirios

What are your evaluation for the top 3 QBs? A lot seems like smokescreens and storylines but criticizing Bortles for playing subpar competition and QB inflation seems legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

MonsterWalk posted:

What are your evaluation for the top 3 QBs? A lot seems like smokescreens and storylines but criticizing Bortles for playing subpar competition and QB inflation seems legitimate.

I'd say Kirios calling him an elite level prospect is certainly worth of some laughter

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MonsterWalk posted:

Haven't seen any of their pro day footage yet so can't tell you for sure where I think they're standing right now. I wish Manziel and Bridgewater threw at the combine. Bortles looked good at the combine although I've seen blurbs saying otherwise. He also played PSU, Rutgers, Louisville, Houston, South Carolina, and Baylor. Not all SEC quality defenses but he played the SEC tough. The subpar competition is silly.

As for smokescreens and storylines, I'm not a fortune teller. We all get fed the same stuff from twitter, beat writers, and rotoworld. From what I can see from the guys: they're three unique prospects. I think they fit teams differently.

Manziel doesn't seem like an O'Brien type QB to me, so I'm ruling him out of the first overall. Between Bridgewater and Bortles, I'd lean towards Bortles being the guy O'Brien wants. Stout, big arm, needs fixing in some areas of his mechanics to get better on his deep ball touch. Kind of crazy on his passes too. I think Bridgewater is the best of the bunch, but on draft day I think he may fall a bit. Also I love Derek Carr.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Daltos is still all about the name tool

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Intruder posted:

Daltos is still all about the name tool

Except that while Blake Bortles has all kinds of strong name elements, his name remains Bortles. Bortles.

It betrays everything.

Though I look forward to him starting so I can call him the BB gun

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Febreeze posted:

Though I look forward to him starting so I can call him the BB gun

That's such a unintimidating name and there's a guy called the Red Rifle in the league.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Is somebody gonna draft Bryn "The Gunner" Renner?

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I'm still on the bandwagons of the big three (JFF/Clowney/Teddy) but I'm to the point now where I want it to be just one of those three. I think if they take another guy at the 1.1 spot that we will be kicking ourselves for not grabbing one of these three guys.

That's my opinion. They could all be mondo busts, but I am willing to place bets on one or two of these guys having decent NFL careers, and maybe even spectacular ones.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Doltos posted:

I'll argue that Mario Williams was a better prospect than Clowney.

Clowney is a once-every-15-years prospect who was slated to go No. 1 overall from the moment he "graduated" high school. Mario Williams wasn't even a first-day player until after his final season of college. How can-

Oh, Doltos post. Disregard.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Clowney is a once-every-15-years prospect who was slated to go No. 1 overall from the moment he "graduated" high school. Mario Williams wasn't even a first-day player until after his final season of college. How can-

That's the best part about Clowney. There is really no player just like him in the NFL. The closest to his freakish athleticism and size combo was probably young Julius Peppers.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

bhsman posted:

That's such a unintimidating name and there's a guy called the Red Rifle in the league.

That was kind of my point. I'm not high on Bortles.

Also BB Gun is still somehow less stupid sounding than Bortles.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Mario outperformed Clowney in every sense (except 40 yard dash but he was also 30 lbs heavier and didn't get beaten by much) in the combine and also had a better final season than him. He was so good that he tricked other teams into drafting lovely teammates in the first round only to watch them bust horribly (Manny Lawson and John McCargo)

How a player was viewed out of high school isn't that relevant, there are plenty of 5* recruits that wash out

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 18, 2014

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Clowney was much more highly regarded by NFL types for far longer than Mario Williams. Obviously Williams has done very well for himself in the NFL but at no point was he a better prospect than Clowney.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

At the point when they were being drafted he was absolutely a better prospect than Clowney. Clowney has been a top tier prospect for longer, but Mario shot into the stratosphere and the only knock against him was he hadn't been doing it for that long

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Yes, that's true. But that one single knock is enough to put Clowney above Mario, is it not? One year wonder tag is a pretty big negative at the top of the first round.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Intruder posted:

Let's talk about how silly some Texans fans are over at a certain blog for thinking the Texans are going to get a third round pick out of the Raiders for Schaub :v:

Let's put this to rest, the Raiders want no part of Schaub's $10m salary. They'll wait until the Texans cut him and sign him for much cheaper.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

warcrimes posted:

Let's put this to rest, the Raiders want no part of Schaub's $10m salary. They'll wait until the Texans cut him and sign him for much cheaper.

Trading for him would actually be very useful for the Raiders. They'd get $10m against their cap when they desperately need to fill space to reach the floor, and they can cut him after a year without absorbing any dead money. But if they give up more than a conditional sixth for him, holy poo poo

If they just sign him, they'd probably have to give him guaranteed money which means they take a cap hit if they cut him

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Intruder posted:

Trading for him would actually be very useful for the Raiders. They'd get $10m against their cap when they desperately need to fill space to reach the floor, and they can cut him after a year without absorbing any dead money. But if they give up more than a conditional sixth for him, holy poo poo

If they just sign him, they'd probably have to give him guaranteed money which means they take a cap hit if they cut him

It's not happening.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe not, but it makes sense as long as the Raiders are giving up very little. And the Raiders are the only team in the NFL that it makes sense for since a) they don't have a QB (McGloin isn't he long term answer, sorry) and b) they desperately need to spend money

I doubt any trade will happen before the draft though. If Bridgewater or JFF somehow falls to them, then that's the end of that possibility

e: Also I'd love to hear your reasoning why it's better to sign him than trade a very late round pick for him other than "nuh huh" given the Raiders situation. I guess they could dump a huge contract with a big signing bonus on one of the third tier FAs left?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 18, 2014

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007

The penalty for not spending the money is a fine of money, so there isn't really much desperation there. If Schaub is an actual improvement, then it makes sense to pay him, but not necessarily at the cost of a draft pick. If the Raiders aren't convinced he can improve their team in three years (by tutelage of younger QBs or by play of his own), then there's no reason for them to do that whatsoever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What's the penalty for not meeting the floor? Is it just money? I saw some Raiders fans worried they'd be docked picks, and I mean first or second day picks which would obviously be a pretty big deal. If it's a top 3 rounds draft pick or a cap penalty similar to what the Cowboys or Redskins received, that's a pretty big deal as well

Anyway, IMO there's more value in a contract you can simply dump with no cap penalty than there is in a conditional sixth or seventh so I can't really say what will happen. I just wish the Texans had cut Schaub by now if they're not in a real negotiation. If I'm the Raiders, I offer a conditional sixth if they make the playoffs and a seventh otherwise (so a seventh)

(This is assuming they actually have an interest in Schaub)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 18, 2014

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007

I'm actually not certain but I think it just makes the Raiders pay all the players they've had over the prescribed period a share of the difference to the 93% or whatever it is.

In that case, it's like a free loan. Obviously, spending it on improving the team should come first, but spending it just for the sake of spending it is silly.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Intruder posted:

Maybe not, but it makes sense as long as the Raiders are giving up very little. And the Raiders are the only team in the NFL that it makes sense for since a) they don't have a QB (McGloin isn't he long term answer, sorry) and b) they desperately need to spend money

I doubt any trade will happen before the draft though. If Bridgewater or JFF somehow falls to them, then that's the end of that possibility

e: Also I'd love to hear your reasoning why it's better to sign him than trade a very late round pick for him other than "nuh huh" given the Raiders situation. I guess they could dump a huge contract with a big signing bonus on one of the third tier FAs left?

Well, from a personal standpoint, those draft picks are worth more than Schaub, since he's going to be a temp solution, not our long term answer at QB. But more importantly, that's the word out of Raiders HQ, not me fanwanking.

I expect them to sign either Schaub or Vick to a friendly 2-3 year deal and draft a QB this year or next.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The Browns are either fooling themselves or the rest of the league by showing zero interest in any of the QBs. They only sent Ray Farmer to the Lousiville pro day and he was supposedly more interested in some late round LB prospect than Bridgewater.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

smuggler posted:

I'm actually not certain but I think it just makes the Raiders pay all the players they've had over the prescribed period a share of the difference to the 93% or whatever it is.

In that case, it's like a free loan. Obviously, spending it on improving the team should come first, but spending it just for the sake of spending it is silly.
This is correct. A bunch of people are making a big deal out of the cap floor but there's no meaningful penalty associated with not meeting it and since you can carry over cap space year to year, you're better off not lighting it on fire just for the sake of hitting a certain number.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I'd say Kirios calling him an elite level prospect is certainly worth of some laughter

Come on, he's the favorite to go #1. How is that not an elite prospect in this draft? At the very worst he's going top 10, and considering that ~250 players get drafted every year with numerous more going undrafted I'd say that's elite company.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Oh LTH.

First, there is zero stock to be gained from being highly recruited from high school. Kids grow and develop differently from ages 18-24. Many five star recruits wash out, many lower ranked players succeed. You want 5* recruits for the same reason you want top 10 draft picks; they give you a higher chance at succeeding. There's no guarantee that they'll become dominant players, just a better shot at becoming dominant players.

Second, Mario Williams had an inch and thirty something pounds on Clowney coming out. He tested amazingly well for a man his size. Most 6'6 DEs turn into big mounds of muscle 3-4 DEs but Mario broke that mold. I say it once I'll say it again, Mario Williams tackled a runningback his rookie year by picking up a TE and throwing it at him. Look at this comparison for combine results:

code:
Mario Williams 6'7" 295 lbs:
Bench Press - 35
Vertical Jump - 40.5"
Broad Jump - 10.00'
40 Yard Dash - 4.71
10 Yard Split - 1.6
20 Yard shuffle - 4.37
3 Cone Drill - 7.21
code:
Jadeveon Clowney 6'5 266 lbs:
Bench Press - 21
Vertical Jump - 37.5"
Broad Jump - 10.4'
40 Yard Dash - 4.53
10 Yard Split - 1.56
20 Yard Shuffle - Didn't Participate
3 Cone Drill - 7.27
So Mario was stronger, quicker in the 3 cone, and displayed similar burst with his vertical and broad jump.

Third, none of this faults Clowney. He's still an incredible prospect. Mario was just an absolute freak of nature. He was bigger and stronger than Clowney and only two tenths of a second slower.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kirios posted:

Come on, he's the favorite to go #1. How is that not an elite prospect in this draft? At the very worst he's going top 10, and considering that ~250 players get drafted every year with numerous more going undrafted I'd say that's elite company.

Going top 5 to qb needy teams is not going to make someone elite.

For me, it's simple. If bortles fell to #11 or whatever, would people be stunned? Not really, no. It happens every year to prospects like him.

If rg3 or luck fell past freaking number 2 in their draft it was pandemonium. Those are elite prospects. Bortles is a fast rise late in the process being courted by several teams in need of a quarterback.

He's a top 5 candidate, no doubt. But in relation to other qb prospects over time? He's far from the top.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This is why I'm so against Clowney at number one. The guy he most closely compares to didn't bring a ton of success to his team. I mean would you rather have would you rather have Mario Williams or Matt Ryan?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is why I'm so against Clowney at number one. The guy he most closely compares to didn't bring a ton of success to his team. I mean would you rather have would you rather have Mario Williams or Matt Ryan?

Mario brought a lot to that team until his pectoral injuries. Texans defense wasn't that good in its fledgling years. There were other factors that led to that team being awful, most notably an O-Line that ruined the career of David Carr. Then Mario went to the Bills and helped completely turn that defense around.

I'd argue that I'd take him over Matt Ryan any day. Taking him over Luck or Peyton? That's iffy. There's no Luck or Peyton in this draft though.

I still think O'Brien targets Bortles. I can't predict where the Texans are going but that just feels right to me at the moment.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
I've always found the comparison of players coming out of the draft really odd. Most people are beneficiaries of their individual situations as much, if not more-so, than their measurables in my opinion. If someone is going to work hard on the next level and push themselves and their team then that's already ingrained in them and the system they wind up in will play a big role in their success or failure.

I guess I'd rather have a middle of the road hard worker than a physically talented lazy slob. I don't think Clowney is lazy at all, but I do think he will be in top player talks only if he winds up on a handful of teams. The same was true for Williams if I'm remembering correctly.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Because of the importance of the position I'd much rather have a mid to good QB than good to superb DE, but I'm probably still biased from the early Ravens. I wonder if it's easier to find a starter caliber QB today than it was 15 years ago.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Going top 5 to qb needy teams is not going to make someone elite.

For me, it's simple. If bortles fell to #11 or whatever, would people be stunned? Not really, no. It happens every year to prospects like him.

If rg3 or luck fell past freaking number 2 in their draft it was pandemonium. Those are elite prospects. Bortles is a fast rise late in the process being courted by several teams in need of a quarterback.

He's a top 5 candidate, no doubt. But in relation to other qb prospects over time? He's far from the top.

RG3 wasn't really anybody until his final year at Baylor, though.

eaglesmerlin1
Mar 29, 2010

Kirios posted:

Oh come on, I certainly hope you didn't take that #8 comment seriously. I like Nuke enough as a potential #1 that I feel like taking Watkins would be a luxury pick....not to mention I don't think he's a #1 talent. I'm not even sure if I think he's a top 10 talent, honestly.
It would be a tough pill to swallow if we draft a Gabbert instead of a Julio Jones.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

RG3 wasn't really anybody until his final year at Baylor, though.

Very good point. Bortles is a later riser than rg3 was, but they both got the hype towards the end. Still, way more flags on bortles than rg3.

If I'm drafting first overall and I have inherited the texans roster, it's a goddamn brutal decision.

I still write down teddy bridge water and cross my fingers for the next three years though. Also set my dvr to record Cleveland games because watch JFF in that offense is gonna rule

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

warcrimes posted:

Well, from a personal standpoint, those draft picks are worth more than Schaub, since he's going to be a temp solution, not our long term answer at QB. But more importantly, that's the word out of Raiders HQ, not me fanwanking.

I expect them to sign either Schaub or Vick to a friendly 2-3 year deal and draft a QB this year or next.

The scuttlebutt on twitter amongst the usual rumor monger suspects is that the Raiders are in on him, who knows. It makes little difference to me either way, an extra sixth or seventh is nothing to get excited about and they're eating the cap hit whether they cut him or trade him. I was mainly just pointing out how ridiculous it is to think they're getting a third for him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

If y'all are so worried about his name, just make sure whoever drafts him also drafts his Name Counterweight from UCF, Storm Johnson.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Alouicious posted:

If y'all are so worried about his name, just make sure whoever drafts him also drafts his Name Counterweight from UCF, Storm Johnson.

I assume he'll line up at weatherman?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Very good point. Bortles is a later riser than rg3 was, but they both got the hype towards the end. Still, way more flags on bortles than rg3.

Bortles performed well his freshman year, exceedingly well his sophomore, and became more recognizable because UCF jumped from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference. He was on radars in 2012 and had an exemplary junior season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU's pro-day is going on and it's getting bits and clips posted on instagram and vine and twitter

darby_ronald
14 minutes ago
Boy @_showtime31 and Joyner pro day #nolenation
http://distilleryvesper0-8.ak.instagram.com/e6b0079caeb311e3a7d40a4cce3aa0e4_101.mp4

Brandon Mellor ‏@BrandonMellor 10m
In the making more $$ department, #Noles DB Terrence Brooks (@_Showtime31) dominating every drill -- just like he did at NFL Combine.

Brandon Mellor ‏@BrandonMellor 7m
Collective "oooohs" and "aaaahs" in the IPF every time #Noles DB Lamarcus Joyner turns his hips and cuts in these drills. Freak.

TomahawkNation.com ‏@TomahawkNation 6m
Rob Ryan paying close attention to Telvin Smith and the linebackers @SaintsCSC @MockingTheDraft

It'll be uploaded on ESPN3 sometime later today

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 18, 2014

• Locked thread