Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Latest news is that from the way the plane diverted and hit several waypoints, authorities believe that someone input the path into the flight computer, suggesting that whoever did it didn't just casually decide to fly the plane all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

twitter flung it, but man I thought we were really getting somewhere with the occams razor angle.

https://twitter.com/SlayerAZ/status/445753303297572864/photo/1

e: god drat http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014/map/654342

edit2: so this is actually over land, and presumably in the air so yeah. i don't even know why the tomnod software is showing this area. maybe she exploited the map software.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 18, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

twitter flung it, but man I thought we were really getting somewhere with the occams razor angle.

https://twitter.com/SlayerAZ/status/445753303297572864/photo/1

e: god drat http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014/map/654342

from the twitter link

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who's the retard who thought that was "wreckage" jesus christ

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I loving hate the internet, everyone's confoundingly stupid and I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to indict a depressed 16-year-old runaway during this process

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Fallom posted:

I loving hate the internet, everyone's confoundingly stupid and I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to indict a depressed 16-year-old runaway during this process

im really mad about thsi dumb plane thing too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm legit mad that this dumbass thought a fine plane flying over some trees was "wreckage in the ocean".

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I've been watching that stream for a few minutes and the plane hasn't moved. Def a crashed plane.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

stuxracer posted:

I've been watching that stream for a few minutes and the plane hasn't moved. Def a crashed plane.

edit: oh poo poo n/m it's in the forest

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I'm not a pilot but is there any way we can zoom in & see if the people on the plane are okay?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Nonsense posted:

edit: oh poo poo n/m it's in the forest
I'm confused by the image on tomnod. How do you tell the coordinates? How do you know which locations have been searched already?

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

swampland posted:

Just because they're at the bottom of the ocean doesn't mean they're dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AUEjzVQwKo

It's just ockham's razor really

You are right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUkfmBCsrE&t=120s

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Guys guys would this t-shirt make me look cool?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Bolivar posted:

Guys guys would this t-shirt make me look cool?

if we apply occams razor;

you are a human being

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Well, the simplest answer is no, so...

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

where
is
that
plane!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it's always in the last place you look

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

if we apply occams razor;

you'are a faggot

changed this to reflect the true nature of the raze

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Double Muhammad posted:

has anyone made the joke of asian people making great cars

but lousy drivers

malaysian cars are dogshit mate

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Mammal Sauce posted:

malaysian cars are dogshit mate

tru dat

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
facts:

there was a plane visible

there is no longer a plane visible

possible explanation:

the plane was flying over an ocean

the plane has limited fuel

the plane crashed into the ocean when it ran out of fuel or when the pilot crashed it

can someone double check my theories here

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

If a plane doesn't want to be found is it really lost?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

gnarlyhotep posted:

facts:

there was a plane visible

there is no longer a plane visible

possible explanation:

the plane was flying over an ocean

the plane has limited fuel

the plane crashed into the ocean when it ran out of fuel or when the pilot crashed it

can someone double check my theories here

cause if a plane hits the ocean you can find it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447 <- found in four days)

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

when this turns out to be a series of unpredictable and impossible freak accidents strung together are we letting Malaysia off the hook or no

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

abigserve posted:

cause if a plane hits the ocean you can find it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447 <- found in four days)

p sure there was a lot less ocean to check in that case, but then I'm no expert

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Guys, someone on reddit came up with the most plausible explanation yet. I think we can pretty much wrap this one up:

quote:

My theory is that the plane made a water landing like sully did at a predetermined location in the Indian Ocean, where a tugboat was waiting and was hitched up to the plane. The tugboat then took them to Somalia or some other seedy country.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

gnarlyhotep posted:

p sure there was a lot less ocean to check in that case, but then I'm no expert

It helped that AF 447 was on course the whole time and they (search and rescue) were pretty lucky that flying 447's charted route turned up debris pretty fast. To use an analogy, it was essentially finding the newspaper you dropped between the curb and the kitchen table, knowing full well you were already in the house when you dropped it. If you were to use the same analogy for the missing Malaysian 777, it would be you looking out the window and seeing your newspaper, then walking outside to discover that the paper is gone and it could be anywhere in your neighbourhood. Also a neighbour said they think it might be somewhere 3 streets to the north, or three streets to the south, but they're not 100% sure. Also every hour you don't find your newspaper another page of it disappears.

There are a lot of people commenting on different news sites expressing their confusion why they haven't spotted the wreckage yet, having no idea that the area this jet could be in could theoretically be the size of the Continental United States or even larger. Until we get some hard facts we're never going. I honestly can't imagine what the families of the passengers and crew are going through right now. Hopefully they're not watching or reading US news, because that would be equal parts maddening, confusing and insulting.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i would just go and buy another newspaper if it was that important to me

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

atomicthumbs posted:

i would just go and buy another newspaper if it was that important to me

Monster!

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
AP-3 Orion are searching this area, as advised by AMSA and the US investigators:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-18/australia-takes-charge-of-multinational-search/5328904

I don't think we'll have to wait long now. With a strange shaped search area they must have an idea they are going to find a debris field there.

Road_Warrior fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 18, 2014

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

Personperson14 posted:

I'm going with ghost/magic until I hear otherwise.

lolling at how this post from page 1 turned out to be the truth!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

found in twitter uncovered by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

What kind of rear end in a top hat uses tinypic anyway. Seriously that's the biggest mystery in this thread, wtf. Tinypic was poo poo 10 years ago and its poo poo now, get with the times grampa.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Road_Warrior posted:

AP-3 Orion are searching this area, as advised by AMSA and the US investigators:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-18/australia-takes-charge-of-multinational-search/5328904

I don't think we'll have to wait long now. With a strange shaped search area they must have an idea they are going to find a debris field there.

quote:

The same information has provided a mirror image of an area the same distance from the equator in the northern hemisphere .
Also known as China. What the gently caress.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

We must be getting close then. They've got it narrowed down to 2 spatula-shaped areas.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

They just got finished with the pilot's flying simulation game. They said that after hours and hours of intensive work they could not beat his high score.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Australia finds crashed plane, all bodies of Asian passengers sent to island detention center until deportation possible.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.
Nah. Chances are they'll load them into a life boat and tow it back towards Indonesia.

Of course, we won't hear about it from the Australian government because something something on-water matter something operational security STOP THE BOATS PLANES.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
as a casual reader of the thread im sorry but that explanation of occam's razor has to be the dumbest thing i have ever read

like i was laughing at plane jokes but then my mind was put in some sort of stupor trying to figure that loving post out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Australia finds crashed plane, all bodies of Asian passengers sent to island detention center until deportation possible.

• Locked thread