Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mimir posted:

I hope they either get "Get Back" for the ED this time around, or at least secure the rights for the last episode.

Not a chance, Mad Men producers paid 250 000 $ to use Tomorrow Never Knows, this is way over budget for any studio. Count on the fansubs.
By the way, are [gg] going to do Part 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
What would it cost to license Holy Diver?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

What would it cost to license Holy Diver?

I dunno about price, but I looked it up and it seems that Holy Diver was released in Japan under a record label parented by Universal. Roundabout was under the label of Atlantic whose parent company is Warner Records. Jojo is a Warner Brothers production, so... It's not looking good.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
loving copyright gestapo. At least we got Roundabout.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

fatherboxx posted:

Not a chance, Mad Men producers paid 250 000 $ to use Tomorrow Never Knows, this is way over budget for any studio. Count on the fansubs.
By the way, are [gg] going to do Part 3?

The only sub group that's confirmed is Mudamudamuda.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thank god, Part 3's already got enough goofy dialogue on its own it doesn't need help.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Thank god, Part 3's already got enough goofy dialogue on its own it doesn't need help.

How does it feel to be so heartless, unfun, and wrong?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Can we make it just one more month before the inevitable sub debates?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No it must happen now because I need to tell you why one of these sub groups needs to put Holy Diver up when the Dio reveal happens.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
No, make it Rainbow in the Dark because he's a vampire.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty much the only reason I'd be excited for a live action JJBA movie would be that they could probably spring the licensing for the relevant songs, especially if they could play Holy Diver during the final leg of the Jotaro vs. Dio fight.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Pretty much the only reason I'd be excited for a live action JJBA movie would be that they could probably spring the licensing for the relevant songs, especially if they could play Holy Diver during the final leg of the Jotaro vs. Dio fight.

I seriously think that Part 4 can be easily adapted in a Buffy/Smallville-like show. Jojo is less outlandish than Heroes, thats for sure.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stardust Shooters is out for iOS and android devices now for those who care about it. It's kind of Beyblade-esque in that you pull the medal back and just fire it at other medals as it bounces around the stage. It's got extra RPG gimmicks, the usual phone game pay for more stuff, and it covers up to Part 3. You have like 3 starter pins you can choose from (Jotaro, Jonathan, Joseph), it's got extra modes that let you collect more pins of other characters and miscellaneous goons, and it has Speedwagon giving instructions because that seems to be his job in JoJo games from now on.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Well, it was his job in the series, so it's only natural.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was talking to a friend about part 8 and it made me realize that I'm not quite sure if Araki can really..Do a mystery. I really enjoy it so far but Araki's constant retcons seem like it'll really hurt it a lot since you have no way of knowing if a clue will be entirely forgotten or something new will be pulled out of thin air to answer for things.

Not that it's going to stop me from reading it or that it won't be an entertaining ride but half the fun of mysteries are trying to figure out the stuff on your own, in my opinion. which might not be doable here.

Of course this is only if it actually remains a mystery and it isn't just how it starts, so only time will tell.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The mystery is how Araki's mind works. While you are halfway there, the remaining part is looping and twisting around its own axis into infinity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, with Steel Ball Run, Araki actually provided a mostly consistent narrative, so maybe he's gotten better about keeping some sticky notes around.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Well, it was his job in the series, so it's only natural.

Oh yeah all those helpful instructions like "MR.JOESTAR DIO IS A BAD GUY." The only thing Speedwagon says that is informative in Part 1 is where Wang Chung's shop is, after that he's just meant to be Jonathan's retainer.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, with Steel Ball Run, Araki actually provided a mostly consistent narrative, so maybe he's gotten better about keeping some sticky notes around.

Yeah, about the only thing Araki does in SBR that might be a mistake is Valentine's body changing all of a sudden and even that can be explained rather reasonably in the context of the story. SBR is legitimately the first time the series has had a focused story from start to finish and it's great.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 17, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Oh yeah all those helpful instructions like "MR.JOESTAR DIO IS A BAD GUY." The only thing Speedwagon says that is informative in Part 1 is where Wang Chung's shop is, after that he's just meant to be Jonathan's retainer.

Yeah, pretty much.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I guess some people were paid to paint and release the whole series so far as an ebook in Japan.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

So I guess some people were paid to paint and release the whole series so far as an ebook in Japan.

These are popping up all over the duwang and diamond is unbreakable tags on tumblr. There was one guy who colored the first few chapters about Shigechi, but I can't find it now. :ohdear:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Some of the changes for the English release of ASB:

Crazy Diamond -> Shining Diamond
Killer Queen -> Deadly Queen
Stray Cat -> Feral Cat
Gold Experience -> Golden Wind
Beach Boy -> Fisher Man
Stone Free -> Stone Ocean
Pucci -> Pucchi (this one might not be a change. I don't know what the official English spelling Araki chose was)

Characters that use their official names that fans rarely use are Wamuu, Esidisi, Kars, and Ermes Costello.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

And the worst one of them all, Polnareff -> Eiffel.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Some of the changes for the English release of ASB:

Crazy Diamond -> Shining Diamond
Killer Queen -> Deadly Queen
Stray Cat -> Feral Cat
Gold Experience -> Golden Wind
Beach Boy -> Fisher Man
Stone Free -> Stone Ocean
Pucci -> Pucchi (this one might not be a change. I don't know what the official English spelling Araki chose was)

Characters that use their official names that fans rarely use are Wamuu, Esidisi, Kars, and Ermes Costello.

Crazy on, you Shining Diamond. :downs:

Are they changing the voiceovers at all to reflect this?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Nope, so even though the subs say otherwise, Josuke is saying Crazy Diamond.

One silly one is Bite the Dust. I wonder why they didn't just slightly change all of them, instead of going for some weirdly different ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

And the worst one of them all, Polnareff -> Eiffel.

You are not being serious, this one is actually bad. Like some of those other ones are just innocuous or mediocre, I maintain Shining Diamond is a fine name change, but Polnareff to Eiffel is seriously bad.

MelvinBison posted:

Of course they're not, it's Namco-Bandai. This is the same company that doesn't want to put money into getting the One Piece games dubbed because of reasoning such as "The fans won't listen to the dub" and then they proceed to do a lovely job at actually translating it so there's grammatical and spelling errors everywhere. They put such little effort in these localizations, so they can make their money back with no problem.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

MelvinBison posted:

Crazy on, you Shining Diamond. :downs:

It's weird that they even had to change Stray Cat, if the stand's name was "The Stray Cats" it might be an issue but at this point it's just a phrase that's been in common usage for probably hundreds of years.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Eiffel is real:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Who is affected by that "Stone Mask" icon?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Mimir posted:

Who is affected by that "Stone Mask" icon?
Both Dios, the Pillar Men and Vanilla Ice. They can't be used on a daytime stage unless there's a Red Stone of Asia medal equipped (which you can get during campaign mode).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Polnareff was Polnareff in the OVA and the capcom game, so how does it need to be dodged for copyright now?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 18, 2014

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

The Eiffel is real:

Hahaha I can't even get all that mad at this because it's not like these new names are gonna replace the old ones I'm familiar with but god drat some of these name changes are dumb. I guess "Polnareff" wasn't a French enough name :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Well, Eiffel is a German name, so...

I'm kind of puzzled by this change, I don't think Michel Polnareff is going to sue them for using his name, I mean they always used it before.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Well, Eiffel is a German name, so...

I'm kind of puzzled by this change, I don't think Michel Polnareff is going to sue them for using his name, I mean they always used it before.

But but but the eiffel tower is in france so french name yeah :downs:

:laffo: I can't wait for JaJa's Kooky Quest: All Star Battle :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pomp posted:

Polnareff was Polnareff in the OVA and the capcom game, so how does it need to be dodged for copyright now?

I mean seriously, how is it that back in the late 90s Capcom was cool with having that name when it was much more likely to be slapped for copyrights and the manga was fine with it in 2005-2012, but in 2014 we can't do Polnareff?

FirstAidKite posted:

But but but the eiffel tower is in france so french name yeah :downs:

:laffo: I can't wait for JaJa's Kooky Quest: All Star Battle :allears:

I don't even remember if this is a name change or not, but that's a great phrase.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I don't even remember if this is a name change or not, but that's a great phrase.
Plus I doubt the band by that name would be petty enough to sue anybody for name-dropping them. They'd probably be delighted (which is, of course, the correct response to appearing in Jojo).

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Nooooo not killer queen :negative:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

On a happy note, the OP for Part 3 has been confirmed as "Stand Proud" by Hashimoto Jin and ZENTA.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno who those guys are but the fact the name is "STAND PROUD" makes me happy and confident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Glad it wasn't "Stand" by REM.

• Locked thread