Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Prof.Snugglesworth posted:

Nah. Chances are they'll load them into a life boat and tow it back towards Indonesia.

Of course, we won't hear about it from the Australian government because something something on-water matter something operational security STOP THE BOATS PLANES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

abigserve posted:

cause if a plane hits the ocean you can find it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447 <- found in four days)

Uhh, some debris was found from 447 was found in 4 days, but it took over 2 years and 22 million Euros to find the actual plane sitting under 13,000 feet of water, and they searched vast swatches of the ocean before they actually did find the plane.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

bobfather posted:

Uhh, some debris was found from 447 was found in 4 days, but it took over 2 years and 22 million Euros to find the actual plane sitting under 13,000 feet of water, and they searched vast swatches of the ocean before they actually did find the plane.

Uhh, they found a vertical stabilizer and the body of a guy complete with a boarding pass in four days, floating in the open ocean dude. That plane is no longer missing, it's obviously crashed. The rest of the debris is what's now missing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

abigserve posted:

Uhh, they found a vertical stabilizer and the body of a guy complete with a boarding pass in four days, floating in the open ocean dude. That plane is no longer missing, it's obviously crashed. The rest of the debris is what's now missing.

Your claim was that flight 447 was found in 4 days. It was not. Edit your original post if you want to argue and be "right".

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Maybe I'm crazy but I consider finding a vertical stabilizer in the ocean belonging to the flight I'm searching for enough evidence to conclude that the aircraft is not missing, it has in fact, crashed. The black boxes might be missing. The rest of the plane might be missing. But the flight itself, is no longer missing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

abigserve posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I consider finding a vertical stabilizer in the ocean belonging to the flight I'm searching for enough evidence to conclude that the aircraft is not missing, it has in fact, crashed. The black boxes might be missing. The rest of the plane might be missing. But the flight itself, is no longer missing.

Please help me clarify how "not missing anymore" and "found" are equivalent. Because if finding pieces of a plane means the plane was "found", I have some ideas on how France could have saved 2 years of time and 20 million Euros.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
You're both right and both wrong. Please stop arguing and just kiss each other.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Road_Warrior posted:

With a strange shaped search area they must have an idea they are going to find a debris field there.

The earth is an oblate spheroid and that map is flat.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Search zone is only 2.24 million square miles no problem.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Get snowden and greenwald on the case!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

occam's razor states that among two or more demonstrably equally plausible hypotheses the simplest one is most likely to be correct. there are literally no explanations backed up by evidence right now so anyone who thinks that the principle applies here at all is clueless and bad and doesn't get it. thabks

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Mammal Sauce posted:

occam's razor states that among two or more demonstrably equally plausible hypotheses the simplest one is most likely to be correct. there are literally no explanations backed up by evidence right now so anyone who thinks that the principle applies here at all is clueless and bad and doesn't get it. thabks

Occam's Razor supports this hypothesis.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I still don't know anybody on this plane.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bobfather posted:

Please help me clarify how "not missing anymore" and "found" are equivalent. Because if finding pieces of a plane means the plane was "found", I have some ideas on how France could have saved 2 years of time and 20 million Euros.

If they found pieces of it floating in the ocean they now know it crashed in the ocean genius. As opposed to finding nothing and knowing nothing.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

what are the chances this plane found atlantis

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Wandle Cax posted:

If they found pieces of it floating in the ocean they now know it crashed in the ocean genius. As opposed to finding nothing and knowing nothing.

Actually if you apply Occams Razer to it then all it means is that PART of the plane has crashed in to the sea. The rest of it could still be out there somewhere.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Space Jam posted:

what are the chances this plane found atlantis

high
http://www.thecivilian.co.nz/malaysian-search-and-rescue-finds-amelia-earhart-lost-city-of-atlantis/

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Road_Warrior posted:

AP-3 Orion are searching this area, as advised by AMSA and the US investigators:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-18/australia-takes-charge-of-multinational-search/5328904

I don't think we'll have to wait long now. With a strange shaped search area they must have an idea they are going to find a debris field there.

I think Paul Keating was wrong. This search area is in the arse-end of nowhere.

The O3C has sonar capabilities of 1500ft (apparently), so hopefully they lucked out and crashed in the shallow end of the southern ocean.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Mammal Sauce posted:

this is literally what i was trying to say earlier but i am very bad at words

or am i just a facetious rear end in a top hat?

LET OCCAMS RAZOR DECIDE

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Maybe it's still flying. You know how in video games you go down to gain speed and then go up and rinse and repeat
Just saying

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it was the jews

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Avshalom posted:

it was the jews

I knew it!

I love how you loving idiots are still taking this poo poo seriously.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Jew jism. Classic case.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Why aren't all the world's Psychics being rushed to the seas to find the plane?!?

Mother fucker can find your 20 year old dead Granny within minutes, but is saying nothing on a plane full of people who just died.
Racist oval office.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Al Borland posted:

I knew it!

I love how you loving idiots are still taking this poo poo seriously.

You easily have the worst posts in this thread, and indeed, in any thread.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

happyhippy posted:

Why aren't all the world's Psychics being rushed to the seas to find the plane?!?

Mother fucker can find your 20 year old dead Granny within minutes, but is saying nothing on a plane full of people who just died.
Racist oval office.

To be fair there are an awful lot more Asians, alive and dead, than his usual white targets. Plus they'll all be speaking in languages he doesn't know.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Troll Bridgington posted:

You too? I feel better now. For a while I thought I was the only one. Do you enjoy drinking tea?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whereas I know everyone on the plane

is probably dead.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Elphiem posted:

Mehrunes' razor > Occam's razor

Alright then, according to Mehrunes' razor, the plane simply faded into oblivion.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
How much data do flight recorders retain? If they ever find the black box, will it have the full seven hours or just the last little bit? Cause finding it might not be worth much if it doesn't say anything about what happened at the time the plane disappeared.

edit: Oh yeah, Wikipedia exists. Flight Data Recorders retain around 17-25 hours of data and Cockpit Voice Recorders are required by the FAA to record at least 30 minutes but the NTSB recommends at least 2 hours. This is a Malaysian airline of course but Boeing is a US manufacturer so maybe they follow those standards.

AKA Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 18, 2014

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

demonR6 posted:

You too? I feel better now. For a while I thought I was the only one. Do you enjoy drinking tea?

I do too. I almost vomited when my wife called me this morning. I thought maybe she was on the plane even though I saw her a few hours earlier, but so what? Maybe the plane has become a devourer of souls, flying around the world on a soul devouring spree? I don't know! I don't know anything anymore! This plane needs to be found before I literally die from a panic attack!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

I do too. I almost vomited when my wife called me this morning. I thought maybe she was on the plane even though I saw her a few hours earlier, but so what? Maybe the plane has become a devourer of souls, flying around the world on a soul devouring spree? I don't know! I don't know anything anymore! This plane needs to be found before I literally die from a panic attack!

Holy poo poo! This cannot be coincidental?! I woke up this morning and my wife had already woken up earlier and was getting ready for work. I did not hear her get up and when I saw she was gone I thought maybe she was on the plane too even though we went to a St. Paddy's day party last night! I ran out to the kitchen and was making myself a nice chai for breakfast and I was calling out to see if she was around.. "Honey, honey.. are you on flight 370??" no answer.. I was just about to go dig out the life insurance policy when she showed up asking me what the gently caress was wrong with me. What a relief right? They really need to bring this to some sort of conclusion before I lose my mind. Come to think of it I have not seen my neighbor recently?!

Damned shame Justin Bieber was not on tour in Malaysia two weeks ago and scheduled to have chartered that flight.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 18, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

demonR6 posted:

Holy poo poo! This cannot be coincidental?! I woke up this morning and my wife had already woken up earlier and was getting ready for work. I did not hear her get up and when I saw she was gone I thought maybe she was on the plane too even though we went to a St. Paddy's day party last night! I ran out to the kitchen and was making myself a nice chai for breakfast and I was calling out to see if she was around.. "Honey, honey.. are you on flight 370??" no answer.. I was just about to go dig out the life insurance policy when she showed up asking me what the gently caress was wrong with me. What a relief right? They really need to bring this to some sort of conclusion before I lose my mind. Come to think of it I have not seen my neighbor recently?!

OMG! I was worried my girlfriend disappeared as well! People keep asking things like "what girlfriend?". The plane is now taking people to where only their love ones vanish from existence.

EDIT: What, what girlfriend was I refering to? THIS IS NUTS

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

happyhippy posted:

Be fair, it's a big alphabet.

"I'm getting someone whose name starts with an A... B... C... D... D?

They want to tell you something that starts with an A... B... C..."

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Racist oval office.

I do not know who this is

but I have an astonishingly strong urge to punch him

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

buttcrackmenace posted:

I do not know who this is

but I have an astonishingly strong urge to punch him

You've never seen the original Office? Or Extras?

Wild Jim
Aug 20, 2003

Bigger than Jesus
Another one for the :lost: files http://www.bloomberg.com/infographics/2014-03-13/vanishing-planes-mapped-since-1948.html

Wild Jim
Aug 20, 2003

Bigger than Jesus

Lobok posted:

You've never seen the original Office? Or Extras?

Or Wings?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I made up a joke

Q: What kind of Yogurt ddid they serve on this flight?

A: Plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Die in a plane crash.

• Locked thread