Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That was awe inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that was a boring half hour of Family Guy-esque monkey cheese randomness.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Irish Joe posted:

See now you're just getting lazy, Joe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mo0 posted:

See now you're just getting lazy, Joe.

Just like the writers of this episode! How delightfully ironic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5OABcNfX0&t=152s

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Irish Joe posted:

Just like the writers of this episode! How delightfully ironic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5OABcNfX0&t=152s

2 worse, lazier shows in 1

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Great concept, though they went a bit too up their own asses on this one. I still loved it but the past two episodes have easily been the two worst of the series to me.

All worth it for Ants-In-His-Eyes Johnson.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I think I'm the only one who is going to agree with you. I enjoyed the first few minutes, but kept waiting for them to put the remote down and go do something. I think a little sprinkling of these throughout lots of episodes would've been fine, but it was just too much all at once. Individually though, I enjoyed all of the little segments. It just seemed like they had 15 little ideas and jammed them all in in the laziest way possible, but I'm sure some autistic person will explain the higher meaning of these and why it's a brilliant commentary on something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's just filler and justification for the like minutes of character development.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I very much agree that this was an up-their-rear end episode, but I also very much enjoy listening to Roiland improv his weird poo poo so I liked it nonetheless. Here are some other things the episode did well:

1) It maybe brings the Jerry/Beth relationship drama to a close.
2) It gave Morty some pathos-flexin' character depth beyond a stupified look.
3) Monkey-cheese or not, a lot of the shows were funny. gently caress you.

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 18, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Can improv be monkey-cheese? They strike me as antithetical concepts.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Irish Joe posted:

It's only a bad thing if it becomes habit. As it was presented, the randomness actually had a point.

If they do this every episode, then your complaint becomes more valid.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Can improv be monkey-cheese? They strike me as antithetical concepts.

You bet it can. More than anything. Usually when the improvisers are panicking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought it was pretty okay funny-wise, and liked that it DID have some pretty important character development, even though the brunt of the show was taken up with the channel surfing.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Holy gently caress that was a fun episode, good callback to episode 6.

Also, irish joe you are a human piece of garbage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyone is going to die.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Come watch TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unironically what I believe.

"I eat breakfast 20 feet from my corpse."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You believe you eat breakfast 20 feet away from your corpse?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know I do :suspense:

Anyway I'm going to slightly agree with Irish Joe in that the channel surfing stuff mostly hit me flat. There were a few funny bits, but I liked what was going on in the kitchen better, and I thought Rick and Morty's conversation about what they were watching were funny.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Ball Fondlers basically looks like Saints Row: The TV Show.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I know I do :suspense:

Anyway I'm going to slightly agree with Irish Joe in that the channel surfing stuff mostly hit me flat. There were a few funny bits, but I liked what was going on in the kitchen better, and I thought Rick and Morty's conversation about what they were watching were funny.

I do have to admit that having Rick go wink wink nudge nudge SEE GUYS WE'RE ADMITTING IT'S IMPROV doesn't excuse how shaggy and overlong a couple of the bits got. Nothing was out and out unfunny, and it was used to help launch that fantastic gut punch ending, so I still think the episode is great, but I can understand not being thrilled with the TV stuff overall.

I feel like it did serve a purpose, though: to counterbalance just how heavy the Summer plot was about to get. Rick Potion Number 9 used the same tactic, but as the AV Club guy said, Rick Potion Number 9 had a plot, this episode had a premise. As said earlier, as long as the show remembers to have a plot most of the time, it can be forgiven the occasional trip up its own rear end.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I think the biggest issue to take with this episode is that it's a little early in the show's run to do an episode so up its own rear end. That said, I enjoyed it immensely because I trust that Harmon and Roiland know what they're doing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Barry Convex posted:

So many great moments.

I didn't notice before that Joffrey appears to be taller than the non-Tyrion adults. Is this just a camera perspective thing, or do people in this universe get shorter as they age?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I liked that they were completely upfront about what they were doing instead of winking at the audience. It was a funny way to satirize stuff like Family Guy without falling into South Park's smugness and false sense of superiority.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

I didn't notice before that Joffrey appears to be taller than the non-Tyrion adults. Is this just a camera perspective thing, or do people in this universe get shorter as they age?

A better question is what the gently caress is Danerys Targarayen doing at a gathering of Lannisters. What a terrible timeline!

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
That episode was hot garbage. The b-plot being literal 10 second clips of laziness chopped together that most of the thread found inexplicably funny. "Haha, they're eating him, blood is funny, yeppers. Humor!" I get that the awkward, stuttering goes-on-just-a-bit-too-long thing is funny, but you can't do it at every comedic point in the episode. It really doesn't work.

And the a-plot was about how there is no purpose in life, and that we should just enjoy the ride by watching TV, then Jerry and Beth find they were meant to be in any universe. There wasn't anything to take away from this episode, and it wasn't even that funny. So there goes its 100% perfect record, which is a shame.

Buzkashi posted:

I think the biggest issue to take with this episode is that it's a little early in the show's run to do an episode so up its own rear end. That said, I enjoyed it immensely because I trust that Harmon and Roiland know what they're doing.

There are so many things wrong with this logic I don't even know where to begin. You literally enjoyed the episode because of who made it?

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 18, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Not directly aimed at you, but a moratorium on the word literally for people under 40 would do wonders for this place. It's always used to be lovely.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Rick and Morty continues with its 100% perfect record!

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I don't think "Jerry and Beth are meant to be together in any universe" is what we're supposed to take away from this episode. The message seems to be that they were bound to end up second-guessing themselves no matter what they chose. This episode was basically their entire relationship in a nutshell, and I seriously doubt that everything will be peachy between them after this.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

idiots posted:

family guy-eque, up own rear end, monkey-cheese

Thanks to everyone identifying themselves as morons who don't know what they're talking about. :)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I haven't laughed so hard at a show in more than a decade! It's the funniest thing I've seen on TV since Chappelle's Show.

My friend told me about this show not even a month ago, so I rather enjoyed the break from story-telling to just let the show riff for an episode. Bringing it back around at the end was touching, but I have a feeling they are just setting us up with feel-good to make it a bigger impact when they punch us in the gut with nihilism at the end of the season. The callbacks to previous episodes gave the show a surprisingly serial feel for something so inherently episodic. I'm excited to see what more they do with that, especially since most shows like this seem to find it easier to just whitewash everything after each episode.

What's the word on this getting renewed?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The word is "yeah".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Irish Joe posted:

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TheModernAmerican posted:

That episode was hot garbage. The b-plot being literal 10 second clips of laziness chopped together that most of the thread found inexplicably funny. "Haha, they're eating him, blood is funny, yeppers. Humor!" I get that the awkward, stuttering goes-on-just-a-bit-too-long thing is funny, but you can't do it at every comedic point in the episode. It really doesn't work.

And the a-plot was about how there is no purpose in life, and that we should just enjoy the ride by watching TV, then Jerry and Beth find they were meant to be in any universe. There wasn't anything to take away from this episode, and it wasn't even that funny. So there goes its 100% perfect record, which is a shame.

There are so many things wrong with this logic I don't even know where to begin. You literally enjoyed the episode because of who made it?

Lol ok brah good post *gives sarcastic thumbs up*

....not! Ahahahahaha

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 18, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

zoux posted:

A better question is what the gently caress is Danerys Targarayen doing at a gathering of Lannisters. What a terrible timeline!

This bugged me too for a second but maybe there was a crossed wire during production and her hair was supposed to be auburn/red/whatever and it's actually Sansa? Probably not and it's just whatever due to alternate dimension craziness. Similarly why did the Lucky Charms Leprechaun/Trix Rabbit hybrid have a strawberry theme for their cereal? "Don't think about it."

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
People will complain about anything. This show can do whatever it wants, it is hilarious, every episode there seems to be something that kills me more than anything else I've seen on TV. Who cares if it was just an excuse for filler, it was amazing.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

hcreight posted:

Don't think about it.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

So many great moments.

And for the record, I would totally see Last Will and Testimeow: Weekend at Dead Cat Lady's House II.

And the spider-teddy. And DAD'S IN CLOUD ATLAS

Nice, I colored both of these.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

BlackJosh posted:

People will complain about anything. This show can do whatever it wants, it is hilarious, every episode there seems to be something that kills me more than anything else I've seen on TV. Who cares if it was just an excuse for filler, it was amazing.

Now now, people are allowed to dislike the episode or not think the episode was the best thing ever made. Let's not turn into the Community thread 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

The B-plots worked for me in several ways. First, it was an excellent satire of the nature of television to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Second, it satirized specific tropes in TV, especially commercials. Ants-in-my-eyes Johnson was every "crazy to sell at these prices" car salesman taken up a level. Strawberry Smiggles is so magically delicious that children will tape "Tophat Jones" to a rock, slit his guts open and eat them straight of his digestive tract while he screams and begs. Third, what kind of world makes a commercial like that?

The A-plot was about their being no inherent purpose in life. There is no destiny in the multiverse. So, Summer has to find or create her own purpose and place in reality just like everyone. I think the main point for Beth and Jerry is that they'll tend to be desperately unhappy in every universe. They'll just be less so if they're together.

• Locked thread