Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Snappy comeback! Not sure how it makes your idiotic claim any more valid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Seems legit.

No he needs to try it on at least more than one iPad before we can draw any conclusions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks like my fiance broke her ipad, by using the charger. She put it in the wall socket, it sparked and now the ipad no longer boots or does anything that a brick doesn't. Pretty sure the charger or something is defective, tested without the ipad being connected and every time I put it in the socket it sparks. Warranty issue as I see it.

Edit: hah nevermind, got it to boot :) Weird...

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 10, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If your poo poo sparks when you plug it in then take it back to the store and get a new one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

withak posted:

If your poo poo sparks when you plug it in then take it back to the store and get a new one.

Alternatively, get an electrician to check your wall socket.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

withak posted:

From what I read on the apple support forums, Apples opinion seemed to be "deal with it, it's not dangerous, but plug in the charger without having the iPad plugged in ok?".

I know it's common for stuff to occasionally make a small spark but this does it every time and it's just this one piece of equipment that does it

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Crackbone posted:

I have been unable to break ad ipad using telekinesis. Therefore all ipads are immune to my mind powers.

hosed up if true

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm looking to get a case for my 10" iPad air. I would like something that is relatively slim, has a good keyboard, can offer decent protection and still allow you to use the iPad without keyboard if necessary. This one I found seems alright, does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrathin-Blu...r+case+keyboard

Are there any other recommendations? The Kensington in the OP seems nice but a little bulky and it doesn't seem like you can fold it so that the keyboard is hidden.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm looking to get a case for my 10" iPad air. I would like something that is relatively slim, has a good keyboard, can offer decent protection and still allow you to use the iPad without keyboard if necessary. This one I found seems alright, does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrathin-Blu...r+case+keyboard

Are there any other recommendations? The Kensington in the OP seems nice but a little bulky and it doesn't seem like you can fold it so that the keyboard is hidden.

I have the Anker cover, it's quite nice - keep in mind that you'd probably want a rear shell to go with it unless you're stashing your iPad in a sleeve/bag and you're not worried about dropping it.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

I Am Crake posted:

It's pretty bright but it's not quite as glaring as the red one.

I went for the product red one, I want as much red as possible.

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
Using my ipad for notes taking. I bought a stylus for it and using notes plus. Ontop of that it syncs directly to my dropbox.

I wanted to jot script stylus but coulndt justify $100 for a pen, so went with the wacom wamboo.

Anyways works great.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

n4lrah posted:

Using my ipad for notes taking. I bought a stylus for it and using notes plus. Ontop of that it syncs directly to my dropbox.

I wanted to jot script stylus but coulndt justify $100 for a pen, so went with the wacom wamboo.

Anyways works great.

I have a stylus fetish and own both the Jot Script and Bamboo Solo and the Bamboo is by far better for taking notes, in my opinion. I just don't think the bluetooth is up to par yet on the Script.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
What the hell Siri?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Selklubber posted:

What the hell Siri?

You can't just go asking classy guys/gals questions like that. :colbert:

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
It was a serious question! Maybe she was angry because I asked if she was an alien.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Selklubber posted:

It was a serious question! Maybe she was angry because I asked if she was an alien.

Don't ask a lady about her measurements

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Can anyone recommend me stylus compatible note taking app that syncs through iCloud?

I want to be able to take quick notes about dates and facts from clients as well as writing quick notes about what the judge tells me at the stand. It therefore doesn't have to be robust.

As a matter of fact, the more simple, the better. Even better if it can sync up with your calendar.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not to be snarky, but your best option for this is pen and paper. Stylus based note-taking apps just aren't there yet. Plus I don't think there's any that sync to iCloud aside for iCloud backup purposes

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 16, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Penultimate syncs with Evernote but I don't know how well it handles a stylus. On the plus side, it has a scroll while you write feature that works pretty well.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Looks like Apple finally replaced the iPad 2 with the iPad 4 as the "cheap" ($399) iPad.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/18/apple-replaces-ipad-2-with-4th-gen-ipad-leaves-original-ipad-mini-as-only-non-retina-ios-device

I almost feel bad for everyone who bought an iPad 2 to save 100 bucks since the Air launched.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 18, 2014

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I don't understand why you'd try and "save" a hundred bucks by buying a device that will be obsolete way sooner in the first place.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

clockworx posted:

Looks like Apple finally replaced the iPad 2 with the iPad 4 as the "cheap" ($399) iPad.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/18/apple-replaces-ipad-2-with-4th-gen-ipad-leaves-original-ipad-mini-as-only-non-retina-ios-device

I almost feel bad for everyone who bought an iPad 2 to save 100 bucks since the Air launched.

About god damned time

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Stumpus posted:

Can anyone recommend me stylus compatible note taking app that syncs through iCloud?

I want to be able to take quick notes about dates and facts from clients as well as writing quick notes about what the judge tells me at the stand. It therefore doesn't have to be robust.

As a matter of fact, the more simple, the better. Even better if it can sync up with your calendar.

Have you looked at Notability?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

I Am Crake posted:

I don't understand why you'd try and "save" a hundred bucks by buying a device that will be obsolete way sooner in the first place.

People who don't understand that sort of thing and don't think they need "anything fancy".

Like my mom, who is considering buying a 4S for exactly that reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

clockworx posted:

People who don't understand that sort of thing and don't think they need "anything fancy".

Like my mom, who is considering buying a 4S for exactly that reason.
I guess the good news is it looks like they're ditching the 4s, also.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I guess the good news is it looks like they're ditching the 4s, also.

Hopefully before she tries to buy one. Verizon offered her a 5C for $100, but "that just seemed like too much. This one (iPhone 4) was free, I want the free one."

:ughh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Must suck to be the guy who bought an iPad2 yesterday.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

withak posted:

Must suck to be the guy who bought an iPad2 yesterday.
No, it sucks to be the guy who bought an iPad2 31 days ago.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone gotten the Zaggkeys cover (not folio) for the Air? Curious how the retention with that clip is.

Haven't seen any around here but I am pretty much set on that for an iPad keyboard. I want to see one in person before buying though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

clockworx posted:

Hopefully before she tries to buy one. Verizon offered her a 5C for $100, but "that just seemed like too much. This one (iPhone 4) was free, I want the free one."

:ughh:

Jesus, my flatmate went out and bought a loving iPhone 4 just last year, signing up for like 24 months or something just to get it free.

Hopefully they stop selling the non-retina mini too because that's the same thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Jesus, my flatmate went out and bought a loving iPhone 4 just last year, signing up for like 24 months or something just to get it free.

Hopefully they stop selling the non-retina mini too because that's the same thing.

A good majority of people just won't get anything but the cheapest. Explaining that the phone now shows as the "actual cost" on ATT plans just makes I that much more fun.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

priznat posted:

Has anyone gotten the Zaggkeys cover (not folio) for the Air? Curious how the retention with that clip is.

Haven't seen any around here but I am pretty much set on that for an iPad keyboard. I want to see one in person before buying though.

I have one and it's the only case I use. I'm not sure what you mean by "clip" - hinge? If so, the hinge has held up perfectly fine for the past ~3mo that I've had it, opening and closing it over and over again like it's a netbook. It holds the iPad in without any problem at all. I've tried several other keyboard cases and always go back to the Zaggkeys because it's so much lighter and easier to use. The key spacing is a lot better than the Belkin keyboards I've tried, too. Plus it isn't nearly as limited angle-wise as the folio cases. I could go on but tl/dr, just get one and you won't look back.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I see Woot has 128 GB 4th gen iPads for $570 (wifi only) for the next hour or two in case anyone's interested.

http://www.woot.com/offers/apple-128gb-ipad-retina-gen-4-2-colors

Edit: sold out faster than I expected.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 19, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thanks for the info, yeah I meant the hinge, it does clip on to the iPad though right? And you can clip it on the back if you want to use the iPad in portrait or kn less mode (without having to set the kb down)?

Waiting for the local stores to get one in, or order from amazon.ca. No one seems to have it here yet.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yup, it clips on, but only with the iPad in landscape, facing toward the keyboard. The hinge is built like a laptop, and opens to about 135°. You can still use your iPad in portrait, though, but you have to hold the case like a hardback book with the hinge opened all the way. It balances well enough to be easily held with one hand behind, at the "spine".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So is it safe to buy an iPad mini retina at this time or are any refreshes expected in the next 6 months? I can wait 6 months since I got a laptop anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There will be a refresh in 6 months. We are almost exactly mid-cycle.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just upgraded from an iPad 2 that I got at launch to an Air. Wow, what a great difference.

The Smart Cover is poo poo though - is mine just particularly bad? It doesn't lay totally flat when closed at the first segment from the left, so dust can get under there and it negates one of the primary uses for a cover to begin with. Related, I assume the 14 day return policy applies to smart covers?

My old leather blue one for my 2 was the poo poo...wish I could still use it. I had bought it thinking that it was a good investment because I could use it on future iPads too, but much like 30 pin accessories it showed me that I really should not buy nice accessories for mobile devices hoping to get long term use from them.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

rio posted:

I just upgraded from an iPad 2 that I got at launch to an Air. Wow, what a great difference.

The Smart Cover is poo poo though - is mine just particularly bad? It doesn't lay totally flat when closed at the first segment from the left, so dust can get under there and it negates one of the primary uses for a cover to begin with. Related, I assume the 14 day return policy applies to smart covers?

My old leather blue one for my 2 was the poo poo...wish I could still use it. I had bought it thinking that it was a good investment because I could use it on future iPads too, but much like 30 pin accessories it showed me that I really should not buy nice accessories for mobile devices hoping to get long term use from them.

I've never been a fan of the Smart Cover, myself. This is what I recommend as far as cases go:

http://www.thesnugg.com/ipad-cases/ipad-air-cases/snugg-ipad-air-case-cover-and-flip-stand-in-black-leather.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nihiliste posted:

I've never been a fan of the Smart Cover, myself. This is what I recommend as far as cases go:

http://www.thesnugg.com/ipad-cases/ipad-air-cases/snugg-ipad-air-case-cover-and-flip-stand-in-black-leather.aspx

Looks cool, but I don't want anything that covers the back. As light as possible, protects the screen from dust/cleans it with the underneath, basic functionality (folds into stand or folds into something to handhold in portrait orientation), being easily removable and magnets in the right places are all that I would like. I like to use my ipad without the cover a lot too so a full case is not something I would get into.

Sounds kind of like....a Smart Cover! Except that mine is lacking the "cover" part by not laying flat. I don't know if it was actually something that I did to it since I have been folding the cover when hand holding the ipad, but if I did cause it after under 24 hours of even owning the thing then there is a serious problem with durability.