Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Recess Rapist posted:

I thought we'd lost our subforum for a minute there!

Question: what's the worst rare? Every once in a while I spring for a pack or two from older sets and I end up with just crap, pure crap.

You're calling this card out in the same set with Darksteel Reactor and Arcbound Overseer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So related to the buying out of Standard conversation, what is keeping New Chandra's price so high? In particular the shiny ones. I never see anyone play her, and I have like, 5 shinies and 3 non-shinies that I'd rather not lose a ton of money on if they're going to plummet after rotation.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Recess Rapist posted:

Question: what's the worst rare? Every once in a while I spring for a pack or two from older sets and I end up with just crap, pure crap.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh.

Oh my. :stare:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Pretty much. They didn't even have the decency to put it in Odyssey block where this effect might actually be desirable every once in a blue moon.

Speaking of Odyssey block:

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 18, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

It might not be LED but it's modern "playable". Maybe it'll be good one day.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Here's a recent study in suck-rare:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Here's a recent study in suck-rare:

IT TRIGGERS HEROIC SHUT UP.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ok, how about this one?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ok, how about this one?

I like how EDH is the only format durdley enough for this kind of effect to even be considered and this doesn't even work there because it's a singleton format.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

My list is here, I think slightly out of date.
http://deckbox.org/sets/602477

Mine is pretty similar actually.

I run 24 land with 4 Mutavaults, 2x vraska in the main. I have my scooze in the side instead of main. I also have lotleth troll and Nighthowler in the main. No doom blade, no read the bones. Desecration demon is on the cut list to be replaced with herald of torment. Being able to give Polukranos or a reaper flying and +3/+3 is much better than a 6/6 for 4 mana.

Most interesting interaction so far: when playing against r/g monsters, they rip triple caryatid quickly and I drop a single caryatid on my side of the board and immediately bile blight my own caryatid to kill three of my opponents. Feels good man.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Let's not forget the great granddaddy of useless loving rares everywhere. Yes I will gladly pay the equivalent of '3GGG and sacrifice 2 Forests' for a vanilla bear. Imagine paying market rates for a Legends pack these days (~$130) and getting one of these as your rare.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 18, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ok, how about this one?

My favorite story about this card is the MTGO bugfix report that says "Search the City now correctly gives an extra turn when sacrificed," meaning someone, somewhere, built a Shadowborn Apostle / Search the City deck just to try and get it to go off online, only to have it not do its one, lovely thing.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ ahahaha MTGO can't even get the shittiest combo ever to work as intended.

"I finally did it! My stupid homebrew finally paid -- wait a minute...what? WIZARDS!!!" :argh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

I run 24 land with 4 Mutavaults, 2x vraska in the main. I have my scooze in the side instead of main. I also have lotleth troll and Nighthowler in the main. No doom blade, no read the bones. Desecration demon is on the cut list to be replaced with herald of torment. Being able to give Polukranos or a reaper flying and +3/+3 is much better than a 6/6 for 4 mana.

Oh man, I hadn't thought of Herald of Torment, which is embarrassing when I've been trying to find a use for them (that mono-black aggro deck is terrible I don't care what anyone says.) It's probably one of my favorite black creatures since Juzam Djinn, and almost as good. I especially like that it helps Fightohydra fight more dudes without dying.

I was pretty skeptical about the Bow. I added it because I wanted to monstralize Polly just once while he was attacking, but I tried it out and every time I get it, it's really good.

Mezzanon posted:

Most interesting interaction so far: when playing against r/g monsters, they rip triple caryatid quickly and I drop a single caryatid on my side of the board and immediately bile blight my own caryatid to kill three of my opponents. Feels good man.

I haven't gotten to live the dream yet. Believe me, I've been trying. Every time I see a Catydid game 1 I bring my Bile Blights in just in case I get that chance. Considering half of the store I occasionally play at is RG monsters, it'll eventually come up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Rules question that actually came up tonight between my opponent and I.

I have Blind Obedience out and I'm at 6 life. My opponent resolves a Ruric Thar. Can I cast a non-creature spell and extort to stay at 1 life, or will Ruric's trigger kill me first?

Crackatastic
May 13, 2005

Ayo, I kinda like your natural scent.
*NO HOMO*

qbert posted:

I have Blind Obedience out and I'm at 6 life. My opponent resolves a Ruric Thar. Can I cast a non-creature spell and extort to stay at 1 life, or will Ruric's trigger kill me first?

No. The extort trigger and ruric thar's trigger go on the stack at the same time, which has the non-active player's trigger resolve first, meaning you're a dead mage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

qbert posted:

If it's an instant, you can cast it on your opponents turn, and your extort trigger will resolve before your opponent's Ruric Thar trigger. If you cast a non-creature spell on your turn, the Ruric Thar trigger will resolve first and you'll die.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
It'll depend on which player's turn it is. Triggers will go on the stack in APNAP order, so if it's your turn you'll die before your extort trigger resolves.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

qbert posted:

I think it depends if it's your turn.

Edit: yeah, that^. I got it backwards.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Jabor posted:

If it's an instant, you can cast it on your opponents turn, and your extort trigger will resolve before your opponent's Ruric Thar trigger. If you cast a non-creature spell on your turn, the Ruric Thar trigger will resolve first and you'll die.

This is good to know as I actually had Detention Sphere and Celestial Flare in hand, and now I know which one to try and use next time it happens (probably never).

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Man, I never realized just how many times I use magiccards.info in any given day until it went down. Hope it's back up soon.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Hopping Ghost posted:

Man, I never realized just how many times I use magiccards.info in any given day until it went down. Hope it's back up soon.

It feels like part of my brain is missing.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

frameset posted:

It feels like part of my brain is missing.

What is a creature??

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Promoted Pawn posted:

Let's not forget the great granddaddy of useless loving rares everywhere. Yes I will gladly pay the equivalent of '3GGG and sacrifice 2 Forests' for a vanilla bear. Imagine paying market rates for a Legends pack these days (~$130) and getting one of these as your rare.

I purchased a booster of BNG the other day because my discount makes it an okay impulse purchase from time to time. I pulled a foil Mindreaver and, without thinking, immediately tore it in half and threw it out the car window.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

suicidesteve posted:

So related to the buying out of Standard conversation, what is keeping New Chandra's price so high? In particular the shiny ones. I never see anyone play her, and I have like, 5 shinies and 3 non-shinies that I'd rather not lose a ton of money on if they're going to plummet after rotation.

Shinys mean Eternal format playable; in this case both Legacy and Modern have decks with fringe Chandra use. I'd sell the non-foils while you can for sure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Veyrall posted:

I purchased a booster of BNG the other day because my discount makes it an okay impulse purchase from time to time. I pulled a foil Mindreaver and, without thinking, immediately tore it in half and threw it out the car window.

All I can think of is that you probably could have made some kid's week by giving that to them at FNM. :smith:

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Do you actually have any success with it? How many colors do you run?

Simple WG slivers, bunch of lords and support slivers. Did well enough to get top 8 for the league which we're gonna fight out this weekend. Hope I'll do well.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

All I can think of is that you probably could have made some kid's week by giving that to them at FNM. :smith:

On the other hand, giving kids shiny pieces of trash and telling them it's a fun toy isn't that nice, even if they believe it for a short while.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Just a heads-up for Rebecca Guay fans, ie most people with good taste, her art book Kickstarter is ending in five days. It's apparently the only opportunity you'll have to get it outside of ebay.

She's also tossing in a free artist proof card with sketch for every order due to the excessive funding.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 18, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Going back before, say, Mirage looking for bad rares is pretty much cheating, there was so much garbage before then.

I think I'm most annoyed by the rares that could maybe almost kinda sorta be playable if they didn't cost a billion mana. Archangels's Light, Emmara Tandris, and Firemind's Foresight (even for EDH it would needs like 3 mana lopped off its cost) come to mind.

And then there's the (usually red) ones that do something ~random~ like Scrambleverse or Volatile Rig.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 18, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I know it's not a rare, but Showstopper is the most infuriating card to me. I've got a copy sitting on my desk and every once in a while "inspiration" strikes for how I can make it work with Murdergoats or some other deck. "Oh, I'll use it in response to a board wipe to win a game!" and it only targets creatures. "Oh, I'll work a Boros Reckoner in somehow and have all the damage hit him for the win!" and then it only targets opponent's creatures.

Ugh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Recess Rapist posted:

This is a really bad opinion considering that Viridian Zealot's only real competition for artifact hate was Viridian Shaman on its printing. It saw play in a lot of lists and was legitimately a solid pick in all Mirrodin Draft formats. Sure, nowadays Qasali Pridemage puts it to shame, but Power Creep and all that. It was also solid in constructed since it was more aggressively costed as a beater than Viridian Shaman and was a good mana sink later.

Viridian Zealot was a good card, it's just not impressive when compared to Qasali Pridemage in the relevant formats any more.

For example, a real Mirrodin Block deck:

quote:

Green Attack
4 Viridian Zealot
4 Tel-Jilad Chosen
4 Troll-Ascetic
4 Viridian Shaman
4 Molder Slug
3 Fangren Firstborn
3 Pulse of the Tangle
4 Predator Strike
4 Creeping Mold

22 Forest
4 Blinkmoth Nexus

Sideboard
4 Oxidize
4 Tel-Jilad Justice
4 Karstoderm
3 Sword of Fire and Ice

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zero_Grade posted:

Just a heads-up for Rebecca Guay fans, ie most people with good taste, her art book Kickstarter is ending in five days. It's apparently the only opportunity you'll have to get it outside of ebay.

She's also tossing in a free artist proof card with sketch for every order due to the excessive funding.

And, as we remind people every time they poat that link, it's potentially NSFW.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Death Bot posted:

I know it's not a rare, but Showstopper is the most infuriating card to me. I've got a copy sitting on my desk and every once in a while "inspiration" strikes for how I can make it work with Murdergoats or some other deck. "Oh, I'll use it in response to a board wipe to win a game!" and it only targets creatures. "Oh, I'll work a Boros Reckoner in somehow and have all the damage hit him for the win!" and then it only targets opponent's creatures.

Ugh.

but in it's defense, that flavour text!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Instead of a tournament report, I have a tournament podcast! Myself and the co-host (Joe Zappelli, if you are from Seattle) discuss our tournament, round by round!

http://media.kisw.com/a/88936337/bjgn-03-18-14-magic-the-gathering-live-from-scg-seattle-open.htm

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Promoted Pawn posted:

Back when I got into magic, this was the ultimate junk rare you could pull

As a bonus, since you would get a timeshifted card as well (which could potentially be an akroma or psionic blast), here's the timeshifted card for the ultimate junk pack

TicalStal fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 18, 2014

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

Going back before, say, Mirage looking for bad rares is pretty much cheating, there was so much garbage before then.

On the other hand, the one card in Mirage explicitly designed to be a garbage rare is now worth ~$75 on paper or ~$125 on MTGO.

Also Wood Elemental stands out even among the bad creatures and garbage rares of it's day because it wasn't even situationally good like bad rares like colorlaces were. You were at no point on the P/T curve better off running Wood Elemental than any existing vanilla creature of similar casting cost OR P/T.

Edit:

TicalStal posted:

Back when I got into magic, this was the junk rare you could pull

See that's awesome for people like me (like most of the cards from that block) because it puts a new twist on cards we had way back in the day, even if it does almost nothing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

JerryLee posted:

There are no kids at my LGS, and random neighborhood kids would think I'm a creeper for randomly giving them a thing. I refuse to feel bad for making sure there's one less Mindreaver clogging up the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

On the other hand, the one card in Mirage explicitly designed to be a garbage rare is now worth ~$75 on paper or ~$125 on MTGO.

Also Wood Elemental stands out even among the bad creatures and garbage rares of it's day because it wasn't even situationally good like bad rares like colorlaces were. You were at no point on the P/T curve better off running Wood Elemental than any existing vanilla creature of similar casting cost OR P/T.

Edit:

See that's awesome for people like me (like most of the cards from that block) because it puts a new twist on cards we had way back in the day, even if it does almost nothing.

I always thought it shoulda just cost 2 colourless though. (has to be 1 more than normal due to flexibility, but it would be more flavourful.)

• Locked thread