Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You don't even need to call in, there's a link right on the online account manager. I filled the form out Sunday and got my confirmation yesterday that it was added to my bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Ehh what's a week here and there.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thanks ya'll just added the $10 coverage.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Well my last week and I might get a parting gift.

One of my Vendors is getting a shipment of the "New HTC One" today, so we will have them tomorrow.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I installed Pocket Casts, picked some podcasts to sync, and 30 seconds later got a "You have exceeded your data allowance" text. gently caress me for forgetting to turn wifi back on. Pro, goddamn is 4G fast. Con, I'm 3 days into my month and out of data. I'm on the loyalty $60 plan, is there any way to add temporary data?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Pudgygiant posted:

I installed Pocket Casts, picked some podcasts to sync, and 30 seconds later got a "You have exceeded your data allowance" text. gently caress me for forgetting to turn wifi back on. Pro, goddamn is 4G fast. Con, I'm 3 days into my month and out of data. I'm on the loyalty $60 plan, is there any way to add temporary data?

Overage is $15/1 GB. Don't need to do anything other than just use more than the allotted 2 GB, they'll just bill you. Keep in mind it's going to be the same $15 whether you use 2049mb or 3071mb.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Pudgygiant posted:

"You have exceeded your data allowance" text. Pro, goddamn is 4G fast. Con, I'm 3 days into my month and out of data. I'm on the loyalty $60 plan, is there any way to add temporary data?

That plan, unless I'm missing something new, falls under the $10 (apparently $15) per gig overage fee. If you don't anticipate going over again, just bite the bullet and pay the one time $10 (err $15 bux).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pudgygiant posted:

I installed Pocket Casts and 30 seconds later got a "You have exceeded your data allowance" text.

Casual google search shows you should be able to configure the app to only download while on wifi...obviously doesn't help you now but it would prevent this from happening again.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Thanks, yeah I'll just pay the $10. Geoj, I stupidly assumed that'd be the default, but it's switched on now.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is it possible to have someone from verizon call you first thing the next day. They are not providing support on the phone any more today and I dont have time to stay on hold tomorrow before work.

I got an email from verizon saying my account was overdue, but the website shows a 0 balance. This wouldn't be the first time I have been given conflicting information. I suspected a phishing email but it has my account number and the headers match up with normal verizon mail.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

lampey posted:

Is it possible to have someone from verizon call you first thing the next day. They are not providing support on the phone any more today and I dont have time to stay on hold tomorrow before work.

I got an email from verizon saying my account was overdue, but the website shows a 0 balance. This wouldn't be the first time I have been given conflicting information. I suspected a phishing email but it has my account number and the headers match up with normal verizon mail.

There was an error where some people got overdue balance notifications by mistake. If your account on my Verizon is ok, you're fine.

As to the first question, some departments can, but it's generally things like fraud. In this case it's not necessary.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Why a nice little present on my last day working in wireless..

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

c/p from the recommend me a plan thread:

I have a question I'm not sure where to ask. I have a iphone 5s on verizon through my work. My work is closing so i'm getting laid off and this phone is mine. Can I get on this verizon edge thing or is that a scam, what's the deal there?

The phone is mine. I just want to know what I should be looking at. I don't use a ton of data, mostly just texting. What is this edge thing? I saw on the site with my phone I could pay 27/mo? Is that how this works please teach me your wireless ways. A secondary question is, since its a verizon iphone can it be used on any other carrier or am I locked into verizon?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ramadu posted:

I have a question I'm not sure where to ask. I have a iphone 5s on verizon through my work. My work is closing so i'm getting laid off and this phone is mine. Can I get on this verizon edge thing or is that a scam, what's the deal there?

The phone is mine. I just want to know what I should be looking at. I don't use a ton of data, mostly just texting. What is this edge thing? I saw on the site with my phone I could pay 27/mo? Is that how this works please teach me your wireless ways. A secondary question is, since its a verizon iphone can it be used on any other carrier or am I locked into verizon?

You can use it with T-Mobile or AT&T without issue.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Edge is basically paying 27 a month (or whatever depending on phone) for the phone instead of a 2 year contract and getting to upgrade every year. This is on top of service, though you get a discount. It doesn't make sense to do it as you already own the phone, but if the math works out or you really fetishize new models when the next upgrade comes around, it's a fair shake.

As for plan there's a single line plan for 1 GB and unlimited talk and text for $60, which is probably plenty if you're not streaming.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hoobajoo posted:

Edge is basically paying 27 a month (or whatever depending on phone) for the phone instead of a 2 year contract and getting to upgrade every year. This is on top of service, though you get a discount. It doesn't make sense to do it as you already own the phone, but if the math works out or you really fetishize new models when the next upgrade comes around, it's a fair shake.

As for plan there's a single line plan for 1 GB and unlimited talk and text for $60, which is probably plenty if you're not streaming.

Ohhhh I thought the Edge thing was just some super discounted monthly rate for service. Thanks!

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Ohhhh I thought the Edge thing was just some super discounted monthly rate for service. Thanks!
It now actually kind of is (thanks you fine gentlemen AT&T for starting this poo poo but whatever).

If you are on a ShareEveryting now renamed MoreEverything any smartphone line that is currently on a Edge payment plan gets a $10 discount per month if they are < 10 GB and $20 per month if the group is on 10 GB or larger.

I guess you could say the wireless industry is getting away from nasty contract subsidized phones and will instead discount your plan costs for being on a payment plan :suicide:

This is the reason for Verizon Wireless broadly advertised $45 / line price point. $100 for 10 GB + four lines (all on Edge payment plans) $20 each = $180 / 4 = $45 per line. (plus monthly phone payment costs)

Is in response to another carrier advertising $160 for 4 smartphones! And their math is $100 for 10 GB + four lines (all on payment plans) $15 each = $160. (plus monthly phone payment costs)

After re-reading all of that I kind of want to just walk to Kansas barefoot and become a substance farmer. Just till the soil and raise my crops.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Is in response to another carrier advertising $160 for 4 smartphones! And their math is $100 for 10 GB + four lines (all on payment plans) $15 each = $160. (plus monthly phone payment costs)

I personally walked a 4 line today because of a combination of them refusing to believe the moving picture box was capable of anything less than 100% truthiness, and lack of rudimentary arithmetic skills. This even after pulling up the other company's website and explicitly pointing out the 12 month trade in plan with $32.50 printed in bold next to the device.

"We pay $170/mo for 4 basic phones, we want smartphones and don't want to pay that much, what deal can you make us?"
:words:
"That's too much, we want to pay less than $170"
:words: about 160+130
"That's not what it said"
:suicide:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

I personally walked a 4 line today because of a combination of them refusing to believe the moving picture box was capable of anything less than 100% truthiness, and lack of rudimentary arithmetic skills. This even after pulling up the other company's website and explicitly pointing out the 12 month trade in plan with $32.50 printed in bold next to the device.

"We pay $170/mo for 4 basic phones, we want smartphones and don't want to pay that much, what deal can you make us?"
:words:
"That's too much, we want to pay less than $170"
:words: about 160+130
"That's not what it said"
:suicide:

Yup, this whole scene plays out at least once a day like I'm goddamned Sisyphus. gently caress AT&T in the dick.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I hate to ask again about the EDGE stuff but I keep getting mixed messages here. I'm just trying to confirm if the $10 or $20 line discount actually stays with your line after you finish paying off the phone, assuming you make no other changes.

An in store rep told me the discount goes away, an online rep says it stays, and somewhere on Verizon's site it implied the discount is removed. I'm on my phone right now and having trouble finding that though.

Basically I don't really give a poo poo about upgrading early but it would be a nice option to have. I just want to know if I can save money long term.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I hate to ask again about the EDGE stuff but I keep getting mixed messages here. I'm just trying to confirm if the $10 or $20 line discount actually stays with your line after you finish paying off the phone, assuming you make no other changes.

An in store rep told me the discount goes away, an online rep says it stays, and somewhere on Verizon's site it implied the discount is removed. I'm on my phone right now and having trouble finding that though.

Basically I don't really give a poo poo about upgrading early but it would be a nice option to have. I just want to know if I can save money long term.

If you buyout the Edge or make all 24 payments, the discount goes away.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

hoobajoo posted:

OK, thanks for clearing that up. That's pretty lovely though, can't wait tell this subsidised phone crap can be bypassed for real.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hoobajoo posted:

This is the first time that I have read that part of the deal.

And it is bullshit.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

And it is bullshit.

Edge is generally bullshit unless you like the idea of a new phone every year. It's a solid proposition if you do, and with 10GB accounts it works out to actually cost less over 2 years than a contract a lot of the time, but yeah. If you're looking for max savings, contracts are still the best budget option.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Lowen SoDium posted:

And it is bullshit.

Maybe I don't get it, but why would they continue to give you a bill credit when you no longer make payments.

For example, I got a Note 3 a few weeks ago on edge for $29.xx and get the $20 bill credit, so I only have to pay $9 and change a month. I'm not planning to upgrade until sometime after I pay off the 24 months, but after I'm done making payments, I don't expect to keep getting the $20 bill credit. There is no need? It was my understanding that after the 24 months I own the phone and would no longer have the $29.xx on my bill and therefore have no need for the credit. I guess I could see this upsetting someone if that person was told that the $20 bill credit was yours for as long as you kept the phone regardless if you were still making payments. Honestly, I wouldn't have believed the rep if they had told me that because it would make no sense to give me credit when I'm not upgrading or getting my contract extended.

Am I missing something?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Dragonrah posted:

Am I missing something?

An overblown sense of self-entitlement.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Dragonrah posted:

Maybe I don't get it, but why would they continue to give you a bill credit when you no longer make payments.

For example, I got a Note 3 a few weeks ago on edge for $29.xx and get the $20 bill credit, so I only have to pay $9 and change a month. I'm not planning to upgrade until sometime after I pay off the 24 months, but after I'm done making payments, I don't expect to keep getting the $20 bill credit. There is no need? It was my understanding that after the 24 months I own the phone and would no longer have the $29.xx on my bill and therefore have no need for the credit. I guess I could see this upsetting someone if that person was told that the $20 bill credit was yours for as long as you kept the phone regardless if you were still making payments. Honestly, I wouldn't have believed the rep if they had told me that because it would make no sense to give me credit when I'm not upgrading or getting my contract extended.

Am I missing something?

The assumption that I and some others had is that Verizon was trying to have a plan that was similar to T-Mobiles, where you would have a discounted rate if you payed off your phone instead of purchasing one using a subsidy.

So, if I pay off my phone on Edge and I don't purchase a new one, I would expect my plan to stay discounted because I didn't use a subsidy.

I don't feel entitled to a discount, I just can't see who on Earth this plan is supposed to appeal to.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Aren't they still subsidizing the phone with the discount? It's just spread over 2 years instead of upfront.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Lowen SoDium posted:

The assumption that I and some others had is that Verizon was trying to have a plan that was similar to T-Mobiles, where you would have a discounted rate if you payed off your phone instead of purchasing one using a subsidy.

So, if I pay off my phone on Edge and I don't purchase a new one, I would expect my plan to stay discounted because I didn't use a subsidy.

I don't feel entitled to a discount, I just can't see who on Earth this plan is supposed to appeal to.

I can't speak for how the sales rep presented the offer to you, nor do I know anything about T-Mobile's offer, but I thought it was pretty clear it was simply a discount on the Edge price.

As far as who the plan is catering to... Anyone that wants a new phone yearly, but doesn't want to pay full "retail" value? Beyond that, it is pretty much just like Hitachi says. You're subsidizing the phone, but getting to pay over time instead of paying for it outright, but with the option to trade up in a year to a new phone. Also, to use my recent purchase as an example, I'm paying slightly less overall than if I bought it outright. Not much less, like $20 less, but that's still a discount.

I guess I'm saying, I like the deal. :shrug:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm a current Verizon customer, but I'm planning on upgrading to the new HTC One M8.

Verizon is currently offering a buy-one-get-one free deal on this phone, but I'm trying to interpret their vague small print. It says that each phone requires a new 2-year activation. Both me and the other person are on month-to-month right now. So, does this mean that for $200 we can get 2 phones as long as we both sign a new 2-year contract?

Or is the "new 2-year activation" intentionally vague to mean that this only applies to new customers/new lines?

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Dragonrah posted:

Am I missing something?

I'm not understanding how you see the bill credit as "no longer needed". You pay monthly for service, which is fine, and you pay monthly for ~1/24 of the cost of the phone. That's also cool. But at some point, definitely by 24 months, you're done paying for the phone. If these services were reasonable, your bill would go down because that 1/24th of a phone cost wouldn't be there anymore. The "discount" should still be valid because it was never a discount of any kind in the first place.

I had been under the assumption that this was actually what Verizon was doing - provided you were over the 10 GB data limit - and it seemed shockingly reasonable. I'm still kind of confused as to why the online rep told me the discount stayed. I didn't save the conversation, but he said something about "it still shows up as an EDGE phone".

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I'm not understanding how you see the bill credit as "no longer needed". You pay monthly for service, which is fine, and you pay monthly for ~1/24 of the cost of the phone. That's also cool. But at some point, definitely by 24 months, you're done paying for the phone. If these services were reasonable, your bill would go down because that 1/24th of a phone cost wouldn't be there anymore. The "discount" should still be valid because it was never a discount of any kind in the first place.

I had been under the assumption that this was actually what Verizon was doing - provided you were over the 10 GB data limit - and it seemed shockingly reasonable. I'm still kind of confused as to why the online rep told me the discount stayed. I didn't save the conversation, but he said something about "it still shows up as an EDGE phone".

Yes, you are getting a discount. You're getting a phone for less than "retail" (which granted is horrible in it's own right, but that's another point.) Instead of paying the $30 a month or whatever, you're getting a $20 a month discount. It's no longer needed because it is a discount on the monthly payment which after 24 months you are no longer paying.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Wait, is your argument that this is OK because your total monthly bill stays relatively flat both before and after the phone is paid off? If so, we're operating under different understandings of "OK". I mean I realize this is how cell phone service in the US operates, but I think most people acknowledge that it's poo poo. Once I'm done paying for my phone, I'm not OK with my service fee doubling to make up for the money I'm trying not to spend.

Again, I'm just kind of pissed because it seemed like a major carrier was making some actual improvements in this area. If I didn't need service all over the place and in the middle of nowhere, I'd jump on T-Mobile immediately.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dragonrah posted:

Yes, you are getting a discount. You're getting a phone for less than "retail" (which granted is horrible in it's own right, but that's another point.) Instead of paying the $30 a month or whatever, you're getting a $20 a month discount. It's no longer needed because it is a discount on the monthly payment which after 24 months you are no longer paying.

The point everyone is trying to make is that while AT&T and T-Mobile have used the monthly discount to unbundle the device subsidy from the monthly phone bill.

Meanwhile Verizon is just doing this as a backdoor subsidy and just moving the numbers around so people don't notice. It clearly is clever because a lot of folks here didn't even catch it until today. By rescinding that discount at the end of the 24 months, they're keeping the status quo of effectively making customers continue paying for their phone even after it's been fully paid for.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

So I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm a current Verizon customer, but I'm planning on upgrading to the new HTC One M8.

Verizon is currently offering a buy-one-get-one free deal on this phone, but I'm trying to interpret their vague small print. It says that each phone requires a new 2-year activation. Both me and the other person are on month-to-month right now. So, does this mean that for $200 we can get 2 phones as long as we both sign a new 2-year contract?

Or is the "new 2-year activation" intentionally vague to mean that this only applies to new customers/new lines?
BOGOs never require new lines. You'll pay $200 for the phone + two $30 upgrade fees + taxes.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

My few week old 5S is hosed up - the screen is no longer responsive and sometimes has these weird artifacts/colors on it. The phone wasn't dropped or didn't get wet, so it should be covered under warranty with no issue.

Should I take it to the Verizon store or the Apple store? Will either one give me a replacement on the spot or am I going to have to be without a phone while they ship me a replacement?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple Store will give you a replacement on the spot. Verizon *might* since it's still within the return period, and that might be your better option, anyway, since that would restart the warranty, I think (only by a week, but whatever).

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

The Apple Store will give you a replacement on the spot. Verizon *might* since it's still within the return period, and that might be your better option, anyway, since that would restart the warranty, I think (only by a week, but whatever).

Thanks, I guess I'll take it to Apple. I don't think I'm in the return period anyway since it's been more than two weeks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sorry I read "few week old" as "week old." Yeah, Apple will swap it out no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Discounts on having Edge on a 10GB plan went to $25 dollars off. The race to the bottom continues.

• Locked thread