Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

dscruffy1 posted:

It works I guess, but you might just want to move it down to another post if you've got the second post reserved or something like that.

Or you could make a new thread and preserve the last one in the second post!

Yeah, that's true. I guess I was going to redo the format somewhat taking into account what I learned from the first one, so thought it might be good to restart.

Here's what it might look like:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17609

I preserved a lot of the original content in offsite test posts that have the original videos, and then will add in new content for season 4 once it starts.

e: OR I could just copy past the current first post and combine it with the second post and then write the new stuff above. Hmm.

e2: Which I realize is exactly what you said.

e3: Which I think I'll do!

foutre fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Welp. Uploaded the wrong one. Trying again later today.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 18, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

ChaosArgate posted:

Saints Row IV or something

0/10 put in Shrek

Wait -1/10 there is no sound

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Putty posted:

0/10 put in Shrek

Wait -1/10 there is no sound

gently caress, uploaded the wrong one. :negative: That's what I get for not checking which file I drag onto my flash drive before leaving for work.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Somebody in IRC directed me here for this because it didn't fit anywhere else.
I'm looking for someone with knowledge of the X-COM series (UFO Defense and Apocalypse specifically) or science fiction movies from the 50s-60s-70s to co-commentate for a Let's Play of The Bureau. Anyone available?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

RoanHorse posted:

I'm looking for someone with knowledge of the X-COM series (UFO Defense and Apocalypse specifically) or science fiction movies from the 50s-60s-70s to co-commentate for a Let's Play of The Bureau. Anyone available?

I'm up to co-commentate, but there's probably people here with better knowledge than me. I played UFO Defense, but not Apocalypse, and I have some knowledge of old sci-fi.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I'm editing the final segment of my Resident Evil Revelations LP and I have two recordings of the final boss: one where it's exciting to watch but I got a game over trying to show everything, and one where I blitz the boss in a cheap manner to win. I'm wondering how I should approach this episode, do I show both versions back to back or just splice to "oh hey I beat the boss btw" just to cut to the chase?

I still have the save file so I can re-do the boss fight as well, but that requires :effort:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RoanHorse posted:

Your best bet would be Guava Moment and Jade Star. You should probably ask them.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
edit: Reuploaded video, so no need to keep this post hanging around. I'll be posting the thread tomorrow.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 20, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
So, about to start an LP of Singularity. I'll be doing audio commentary, but since the game has no subtitles of any sort, I decided to add my own!

I don't want the subtitles to be too big and distracting if you watching full screen in 1080p, but at the same time I want the subtitles to still be easily readable if you are watching in a window at 480p or whatever. I decided to go with Calibri font, and for bits where people are talking over the radio I put it italic.

But I'm wondering, should I have them be bold, or normal? Are the italics for radio conversations a good idea? (There's lots of radio messages at the start of the game, but after the first chapter there's only a couple more in the rest of the game.)

Intro with bold subtitles
Intro with non-bold subtitles
Radio conversation with non-bold italic subtitles

At the moment I'm leaning towards non-bold, because it makes the text look more like it is part of the original game, and it still seems readable to me at low resolutions. The bold text stands out quite a bit, and is perhaps a bit too prominent if watching in 1080p fullscreen. But I'd like some other opinions.

Also there are some "echo events" where you see ghosts or hear ghostly voices, for those I've tried adding some blue flickering special effects to the subtitles, is it a nice touch or is it distracting? (If it is too distracting, I'll have the subtitles look normal, with the minor special effect of having them fade in and fade out.)

"Ghostly" voice and audio log

RoanHorse posted:

My knowedge of X-Com is limited to playing the latest game and reading about the earlier games, but I LOVE old sci-fi movies. (Indeed, I bought The Bureau cheap in a Steam sale, despite the mediocre reviews, cause I'm a sucker for the 60s alien invasion thing.) I dunno if I'd be able to commit to co-op commentating an entire LP, I guess it depends how often you do updates.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 18, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RoanHorse posted:

I've seen a stupid amount of MST3k and have seen the 1950's Thing from Another World and John Carpenter's The Thing.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

your evil twin posted:

So, about to start an LP of Singularity. I'll be doing audio commentary, but since the game has no subtitles of any sort, I decided to add my own!

I don't want the subtitles to be too big and distracting if you watching full screen in 1080p, but at the same time I want the subtitles to still be easily readable if you are watching in a window at 480p or whatever. I decided to go with Calibri font, and for bits where people are talking over the radio I put it italic.

But I'm wondering, should I have them be bold, or normal? Are the italics for radio conversations a good idea? (There's lots of radio messages at the start of the game, but after the first chapter there's only a couple more in the rest of the game.)

Intro with bold subtitles
Intro with non-bold subtitles
Radio conversation with non-bold italic subtitles

At the moment I'm leaning towards non-bold, because it makes the text look more like it is part of the original game, and it still seems readable to me at low resolutions. The bold text stands out quite a bit, and is perhaps a bit too prominent if watching in 1080p fullscreen. But I'd like some other opinions.

Also there are some "echo events" where you see ghosts or hear ghostly voices, for those I've tried adding some blue flickering special effects to the subtitles, is it a nice touch or is it distracting? (If it is too distracting, I'll have the subtitles look normal, with the minor special effect of having them fade in and fade out.)

"Ghostly" voice and audio log

The subtitles you've added look quite professional (I chuckled at that, uh, falling bit), and the special effects for ghostly stuff doesn't look too annoying but you should consider having the flickering only occur at the first instance of an 'echoe' in each video. Establish that it's ghostly, and do no more, in other words.

quote:

My knowedge of X-Com is limited to playing the latest game and reading about the earlier games, but I LOVE old sci-fi movies. (Indeed, I bought The Bureau cheap in a Steam sale, despite the mediocre reviews, cause I'm a sucker for the 60s alien invasion thing.) I dunno if I'd be able to commit to co-op commentating an entire LP, I guess it depends how often you do updates.

Lazyfire posted:

I've seen a stupid amount of MST3k and have seen the 1950's Thing from Another World and John Carpenter's The Thing.

I was thinking that I'd have one or more partners who I'd ask to provide commentary for specific episodes where their experience/knowledge would be most relevant. I plan to fill episodes pertaining to the side missions that have little plot relevance (and don't have any interesting movie references either) with discussion about the development of the game and it's departure from X-COM's turn-based mechanics. For the 'main' videos I'd like to try rotating out co-commentators to produce something similar to KalonZombie's Lollipop Chainsaw, likely without any static partner to speak of.
I don't have a schedule planned yet, and update length and spacing could vary wildly. I'll have more information when I've got more of the game recorded, I had to scrap a whole bunch of stuff because of the game's letterboxing feature....

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's been a while since I've tried to do an LP, and I plan to build up some buffer before starting this one, but I am coming for advice!

My Tank Is Anime: Let's Play Metal Saga!

I know at least one issue: the headshots have the black background. This is because I couldn't find a way to crop it out, due to color similarity issues, the fact that even in a png it is not solid colors and the fact that it is a series of bars rather than one field of color. Is it a huge issue that I need to fix, and if so, how?

Also, any other issues?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Not gonna bother with reposting the OP, here's the video for Saints Row IV again. How's it look and sound?

http://youtu.be/tIo2DdLcSHY

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

RoanHorse posted:

RoanHorse posted:

For the 'main' videos I'd like to try rotating out co-commentators to produce something similar to KalonZombie's Lollipop Chainsaw, likely without any static partner to speak of.

You could have just asked for me straight away as you've literally just described one person (me) on this planet. ;) I could certainly do a video or two for you. You don't have PMs so find me on skype as GuavaMoment.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

your evil twin posted:

I decided to add my own!

The bold ones look better to me. The non-bold are a little too visually diffuse.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Not gonna bother with reposting the OP, here's the video for Saints Row IV again. How's it look and sound?

http://youtu.be/tIo2DdLcSHY

Gonna second the 0/10 needs shrek

but it looks p good for a shrekless vid

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

RoanHorse posted:

The subtitles you've added look quite professional (I chuckled at that, uh, falling bit), and the special effects for ghostly stuff doesn't look too annoying but you should consider having the flickering only occur at the first instance of an 'echoe' in each video. Establish that it's ghostly, and do no more, in other words.

Ah gotcha. Did you prefer the bold or non-bold versions of the subtitles in the intro? I'm leaning towards non-bold. I also assume the italic subtitles for the radio chatter was OK otherwise you would have said.

I think what I may do for the ghostly echoes is have it flicker only at the start of the first subtitle of an echo event, and also flicker at the end of the last subtitle of the event. So it flickers into existence and flickers out of existence, but is solid for 90% of it. Little experiment of that here.

And yeah, you can put me down as a potential commentator for one or two of your videos.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Gonna second the 0/10 needs shrek

but it looks p good for a shrekless vid

I'll get Shrek in on another video, I promise!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

ChaosArgate posted:

I'll get Shrek in on another video, I promise!

The let's play blood pact is written.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^^^Hail Satan.

RoanHorse posted:

I was thinking that I'd have one or more partners who I'd ask to provide commentary for specific episodes where their experience/knowledge would be most relevant. I plan to fill episodes pertaining to the side missions that have little plot relevance (and don't have any interesting movie references either) with discussion about the development of the game and it's departure from X-COM's turn-based mechanics. For the 'main' videos I'd like to try rotating out co-commentators to produce something similar to KalonZombie's Lollipop Chainsaw, likely without any static partner to speak of.
I don't have a schedule planned yet, and update length and spacing could vary wildly. I'll have more information when I've got more of the game recorded, I had to scrap a whole bunch of stuff because of the game's letterboxing feature....

Tell me when the episode where I can relate my love of either The Day the Earth Stood Still or David Lynch's Dune and it will be relevant.

Preferably the Dune one.

VVVVVVV More proof that MST3K is the best way to prove you are ready to comment on the Bureau.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 19, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

RoanHorse posted:

I haven't played Apocalypse, but I have beaten both the old and new X-COM's plus I've watched nearly the entire MST3k catalog and then some. I also played The Bureau to completion and didn't think it was all that bad. Is that what you're looking for?

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 19, 2014

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

your evil twin posted:

Ah gotcha. Did you prefer the bold or non-bold versions of the subtitles in the intro? I'm leaning towards non-bold. I also assume the italic subtitles for the radio chatter was OK otherwise you would have said.

I think what I may do for the ghostly echoes is have it flicker only at the start of the first subtitle of an echo event, and also flicker at the end of the last subtitle of the event. So it flickers into existence and flickers out of existence, but is solid for 90% of it. Little experiment of that here.

And yeah, you can put me down as a potential commentator for one or two of your videos.

Just a quick reply (I'm busy tonight and will get to answering things tomorrow, sorry): I don't feel strongly either way on the bold and non-bold. They both look fine to me.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Cool, good to know.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

It's been a while since I've tried to do an LP, and I plan to build up some buffer before starting this one, but I am coming for advice!

I know at least one issue: the headshots have the black background. This is because I couldn't find a way to crop it out, due to color similarity issues, the fact that even in a png it is not solid colors and the fact that it is a series of bars rather than one field of color. Is it a huge issue that I need to fix, and if so, how?

Also, any other issues?

I have no aesthetic sense so I can't comment on the images, but I honestly laughed at the whole joke of the first post. I wasn't sure where you were going spoiling stuff that wasn't going to be happening until the 'next run', but it all made sense in the end and was genuinely funny. I will follow this thread when it is posted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, any other issues?

Other than the headshots issue this looks pretty good. I'll follow along.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So I take it I'm good to start the Saints Row IV thread?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Getsuya posted:

I have no aesthetic sense so I can't comment on the images, but I honestly laughed at the whole joke of the first post. I wasn't sure where you were going spoiling stuff that wasn't going to be happening until the 'next run', but it all made sense in the end and was genuinely funny. I will follow this thread when it is posted.

Yeah. That was pretty funny. I'd say post away.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, any other issues?

It's kind of an odd decision to have both your own commentary and the game's dialogue in italics. One should be plain text and one should be italics, I'd say.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cake Attack posted:

It's kind of an odd decision to have both your own commentary and the game's dialogue in italics. One should be plain text and one should be italic.

That was actually a mistake caused by a missing [/i] tag. I have it fixed in my notepad file, but my browser lost the page that would let me edit the test post. In-game text will not be italicized.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

And I've decided to just go for it since I can't really build up much of a screenshot backlog without naming the main character anyway.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Mors Rattus posted:

And I've decided to just go for it since I can't really build up much of a screenshot backlog without naming the main character anyway.

For getting the best feedback, Sandcastle test posts should be of a standard update in the Let's Play you're planning. Even if that means naming your character "Sandcastle" or whatever.

Your character portraits could stand to be a little bit smaller. Transparent PNGs would be optimal.

gatz fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 19, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gatz posted:

For getting the best feedback, Sandcastle test posts should be of a standard update in the Let's Play you're planning. Even if that means naming your character "Sandcastle" or whatever.

Your character portraits could stand to be a little bit smaller. Transparent PNGs would be optimal.

Transparency is what I'd like, but I can't figure out a way to do it that won't take massive amounts of time. I can shrink the portraits fairly easily, at least, and probably will over the next day or two. I will also fiddle with them to see if I can get rid of the drat backgrounds - if you look closely, you'll notice that they're actually a pattern of black and background-color bars which are artifacted even as pngs.. The game literally has color artifacting.

(I'm not too worried about commentary quality - the game largely speaks for itself, and I don't intend to go adding a huge narrative - I'm planning to be informative as much as I can and let the game take care of the humor, for the most part.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mors Rattus posted:

Transparency is what I'd like, but I can't figure out a way to do it that won't take massive amounts of time. I can shrink the portraits fairly easily, at least, and probably will over the next day or two. I will also fiddle with them to see if I can get rid of the drat backgrounds - if you look closely, you'll notice that they're actually a pattern of black and background-color bars which are artifacted even as pngs.. The game literally has color artifacting.

I don't find the backgrounds much of a problem, but I do feel the character portraits should be the same size. Like, it's pretty noticeable when the father and daughter have a back and forth as her image is wider. They could also be smaller, but that's more of a personal preference than an actually concern.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Highwang posted:

So I'm editing the final segment of my Resident Evil Revelations LP and I have two recordings of the final boss: one where it's exciting to watch but I got a game over trying to show everything, and one where I blitz the boss in a cheap manner to win. I'm wondering how I should approach this episode, do I show both versions back to back or just splice to "oh hey I beat the boss btw" just to cut to the chase?

I still have the save file so I can re-do the boss fight as well, but that requires :effort:

Highwang, actually, I'd suggest doing a roundabout thing that Chip and the General did for Revengeance. Showcase the "complete battle", showing everything off, then do just a simple rewind function or something of the like, and cut to the blitz battle.

Since generally showing off all a boss type enemy has to offer requires taking damage/less than stellar gameplay, I suggest doing that as you can show off everything, yet show what can be done when somebody who knows how to play well is playing afterwards. This is assuming the fight isn't obnoxiously long or anything yes?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, any other issues?

It could just be me, but I suggest, if your screenshot doesn't end a sentence, transcribing the screenshot, simply because this:

quote:

: the best mechanic around. But, he's my son, too... I always thought he'd make a good hunter.

looks a little awkward, like what I just did here. This is more of a personal preference thing, though.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

BMS posted:

Highwang, actually, I'd suggest doing a roundabout thing that Chip and the General did for Revengeance. Showcase the "complete battle", showing everything off, then do just a simple rewind function or something of the like, and cut to the blitz battle.

Since generally showing off all a boss type enemy has to offer requires taking damage/less than stellar gameplay, I suggest doing that as you can show off everything, yet show what can be done when somebody who knows how to play well is playing afterwards. This is assuming the fight isn't obnoxiously long or anything yes?

Yeah I was thinking of emulating Chip's technique but I don't have a VCR around to record a rewind sound. :v:

And the fight isn't all bad. The longest bit is just me screwing around showing off the boss. When I go into tryhard mode, I drop him in no time flat.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Highwang posted:

Yeah I was thinking of emulating Chip's technique but I don't have a VCR around to record a rewind sound. :v:

No worries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkQJuhDUJY!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
I'm thinking about starting a Fallout New Vegas SSLP. Here's the OP, as well as the first half of the first post. This is my first LP so I'd like to make sure I've got all my t's crossed and i's dotted. What do people think?

OP: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17622
Post 1: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17620

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I posted in the wrong thread sorry!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 19, 2014

• Locked thread