Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Screw monks, stick to a caster or SK. I would probably give up by now on my 95 monk if it wasn't for his 6k AA and the dream at 100 he might actually be even close to other DPS classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Way way back upon inception of the goon guild that later rose to infamy, there was like 10 of us goons who already knew one another from previous dicking around times. Off the top of my head, there was me, Beorce, Flarestar, Brumans, Shnaggle, Zliz (Pilsner, thread OP), Usli, Landric, and a couple more I'm forgetting. We decided to come back and play on Luclin. Luclin at the time had one of those massive spam-constantly, invite-everyone rear end in a top hat guilds called Ascending Angels. We hated them and thusly named the goon guild <Ascending Fearboners>. We started having a whole shitload of fun and the guild got REALLY big, then we of course were goons.

Much hilarity later, Ascending Angels harbored a deepseated hatred for goons and flooded GMs with so many petitions we were forced to change the name even though we violated absolutely no naming policy rules. That's when the goon guild became <Ominous Latin Words>. More funny poo poo happened later, but the reason that post was funny is because he joined the very guild that so hates goons :v: The last 75 or so pages from the previous EQ thread in the archives is a loving hilarious timestamp of all this crazy poo poo happening.

Seriously don't think an MMO can ever be as much fun as that period for goons was. Sometime I'll retell the Ryantear story (unless someone else feels like typing it out first) because it's so beyond insane that it hit the point of "You just can't make that poo poo up". The Butt Doctor will forever remain only in our hearts because I couldn't do that story justice if I tried for weeks. I'm also not sure where to even begin the story of the goon splinter of hate that spawned a hate guild named after me. A couple of em still play on FV, which is pretty fitting for them :smugdog:

The time on Luclin was pretty great. I was one of the Test --> Luclin ---> Test people too I think, although I made a shaman on Luclin because the GMs wouldn't transfer my SK off of Test to Live even though they did it for everyone loving else. I was actually grouped with Ryantear when we guild invited him, I think we were exping in Loping Plains or something.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I never really got the drama. I just wanted to play EQ and since there was a Goon guild, it made sense. The only reason why I went with Ascending Angels is because there was a time shortly after OLW slowed down where there weren't many active guilds on Luclin and a quiet EQ is just not fun to me.

They have the same leadership all this time. They log in religiously every day.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hey dudes, I want to get Symbol of the Planemasters. Can anyone explain how PoTime works? Do I just enter and start grinding events? Is it all instanced?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Pilsner posted:

Hey dudes, I want to get Symbol of the Planemasters. Can anyone explain how PoTime works? Do I just enter and start grinding events? Is it all instanced?

PoTime is a single instance with 5 entrances in PoTime A. Each of the five 'themes' (S, SW, NW, NE, and SE) has a trial associated with it for phase 1 at the end of the theme, and getting the instance is just clicking one of the five dials. Each direction should have a marker on your map, and if my memory serves, south is 'Water', south-west is 'Air', north-west is 'Undead', north-east is 'Fire', and south-east is 'Earth'. All events in PoTime are always 'just kill poo poo until all things are dead.' In phases one and two, when you finish a particular trial, you'll get a message like 'Ethereal mists gather at the far wall.' That means you should go to another trial.

Phase one is five trials. You have 1 hour to finish all five trials.

Phase two takes place beyond the doors from phase 1, and is split into three: fire/water, air/earth, and undead. You have one hour plus the time you had left over in phase 1 to get through all three events in phase 2.

Phase three takes place beyond the doors from phase 2 and down a drop off ledge. There's a bunch of waves of mobs (8 trash + 2 mini bosses), and split into 8 waves. Kill all the waves to spawn two bosses, kill both of those to continue. You'll get an additional hour and fifteen minutes to finish phase 3.

Phase four is where you want to be, specifically Saryrn to the left of where you zone up to phase 4. You have 4 additional hours to kill her, and she can drop zero to three symbols.

If you want to continue on, kill the other three gods in phase 4, the trash and four gods in phase 5, and Quarm in phase 6 then kill the egg at the other side of Quarm's room to get punted to PoK. Otherwise, use the portal behind Saryrn to zone out into Plane of Torment (or just gate/origin, whatever!)

Remember that it's all fabled right now, and fabled have more HP / hit harder, but otherwise the mechanics are the same utterly unimportant to a level 90+. Saryrn's annoying gimmick is that she'll slow you to 10% attack speed, its 20 disease counters, and its resistible. At 80 doing Fabled Saryrn last week, I was hit by the slow once.

If you don't have a porting class with you, you can get out of any phase 1 or phase 2 trial by illusioning through the door. You'll get punted to the Graveyard, which has a gravestone that ports you out to PoTime A so you can continue doing trials. Otherwise, use evac to get to the GY and zone out to continue.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

PoTime is also requestable by 1 person. So if you clear the first 3 phases with lets say 6 characters, you can disband the groups, drop DZ and start using the individual characters to request new PoTime instances with the lockouts you already have. Letting you skip to phase 4 with each character, and if a symbol drops, you can dzadd the character that needs it.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Pilsner posted:

Depending on your class (if you are a WAR PAL SHD), you can save yourself the time (puns) and wait a few months until Mistmoore gets all Hardcore Heritaged. There, you can snag a Chestplate of the Dark Flame which has a click that is the upgrade to Symbol of the Planemasters and significantly better.

Symbol of the Planemasters
Effect: Pestilence Shock (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 3.0)
1: Decrease Hitpoints by 75
2: Stun (1.00 sec/65)
Push Back: 1

Chestplate of the Dark Flame
Effect: Frightful Aura (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 1.5) at Level 95
1: Decrease Hitpoints by 575
2: Stun (1.00 sec/105)

Besides half the clicky cast time, +500 damage and a higher stun cap, the Frightful Aura no longer has the annoying Push Back component Pest Shock does.

Also, if the Push Back component is a deal breaker, there is another alternative in Vex Thal:

Gloves of the Crimson Sigil
Effect: Call of Fire (Any Slot/Can Equip, Casting Time: 0.5)
2: Decrease Hitpoints by 65
3: Stun (1.00 sec)

qxx fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 17, 2014

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

qxx posted:

a click that is the upgrade to Symbol of the Planemasters and significantly better.

I'm so glad it took them, what, 10 years to finally make an upgrade?

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Hoohah posted:

I'm so glad it took them, what, 10 years to finally make an upgrade?

Amen to that. Same thing with Torque of the Wyrmlord's click to The Chief's Influence's click.

Hey, what is the goon serverwide channel?

qxx fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 17, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

qxx posted:

Hey, what is the goon serverwide channel?

serverwide.gchat:fygm

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Anyone on test wanna do some HA's or maybe get j5 mercs together?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Everquest has gone full on retard mode the past couple days. The developers doing nothing about it is just pitiful. I would trade all three items I have gotten in a dozen attempts just to punch three of the developers in the nuts. Actually, I'd just dickpunch Elidroth once, and Chandrok twice.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Do tell

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
Apparently there is a way to make the rare drops drop more often and everyone who knows is being smug saying "I know something you don't know".

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The less specific answer is to run Scouting Ahead over and over, and to drop the task if the 2nd group of 18 aren't Elders.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
...that's it? Or is it a new bug? Because scouting ahead was the HA to run even back then for marks/loot.

I never got the vampire melee clicky either. :qq:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Stanos posted:

...that's it? Or is it a new bug? Because scouting ahead was the HA to run even back then for marks/loot.

I never got the vampire melee clicky either. :qq:

There's 1 npc in each HA with about a 10% to drop one of these.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The new rare global drops have been disabled in Heroic Adventures and Missions for the time being.

Edrick, you were right about it being connected to those tokens.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

The new rare global drops have been disabled in Heroic Adventures and Missions for the time being.

Edrick, you were right about it being connected to those tokens.

What did you find out? That was my intuition at first, but I could not figure out anything else out after that.

If it has to do with the way those tokens are generated, there are other HAs that do the same - but since the loot is disabled in HAs and missions in the hotfix, its moot at this point. By the way, Illa, I logged in this morning to do one quick run before class. Elders were on track, and the mob dropped the tank shield. You know, the one I spent 90 loving currency on in tier 4. Just like the shield you got.

I was PMing the developers and Roshen like crazy, and got Roshen's attention, who said he would contact the devs right away. I am sort of hoping I get a bunch of hate tells in the coming days from across servers.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

What did you find out? That was my intuition at first, but I could not figure out anything else out after that.

If it has to do with the way those tokens are generated, there are other HAs that do the same - but since the loot is disabled in HAs and missions in the hotfix, its moot at this point. By the way, Illa, I logged in this morning to do one quick run before class. Elders were on track, and the mob dropped the tank shield. You know, the one I spent 90 loving currency on in tier 4. Just like the shield you got.

I was PMing the developers and Roshen like crazy, and got Roshen's attention, who said he would contact the devs right away. I am sort of hoping I get a bunch of hate tells in the coming days from across servers.

The details were off a lot, but it was related to those tokens. The popularized method worked, but was wrong in some ways.

LOTS of people were sending in bug reports and PMs. Now it's just wait and see what happens to the items and people who were farming them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

The details were off a lot, but it was related to those tokens. The popularized method worked, but was wrong in some ways.

LOTS of people were sending in bug reports and PMs. Now it's just wait and see what happens to the items and people who were farming them.

Someone had a really good suggestion, to change all the items that dropped in that specific mission to regular group items, fix the problem, then have the items start dropping again - preferably with T1/T2 Rain of Fear raid stats.

It would suck balls for anyone that actually got a rare item in that mission from a mob with the 1/5000 chance, though.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

lemonslol posted:

Anyone on test wanna do some HA's or maybe get j5 mercs together?

I am up for doing stuff on test. I've just returned to the game after a long break, so I probably suck and don't know the ins and outs of my SK. Also, the only piece I need for my Epic 1.0 is the piece from Dread, Terror, or Fright. Any help on that would be awesome if anyone is down.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Cithen posted:

I am up for doing stuff on test. I've just returned to the game after a long break, so I probably suck and don't know the ins and outs of my SK. Also, the only piece I need for my Epic 1.0 is the piece from Dread, Terror, or Fright. Any help on that would be awesome if anyone is down.

What's your name bro. I'll add you. I'm down to help you on your 1.0

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Cithen posted:

Does this mean I should stop killing Marl every chance I get?!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Midnight City posted:

No, him never being up is an important part of the SK epic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Please stop killing people and things in general

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I've been playing my necro on test a lot, and am thinking about what to make my Heroic charchter. I really want to make an SK, but man I would have no idea how to play one at 85 with 5k AA's right off the bat.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

lemonslol posted:

What's your name bro. I'll add you. I'm down to help you on your 1.0

My SK's name is Reskin. I'm also in the chat channel when I am on too.

I still need to do one turn in to Marl, so maybe hold off killing him for a few days?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lemonslol posted:

I've been playing my necro on test a lot, and am thinking about what to make my Heroic charchter. I really want to make an SK, but man I would have no idea how to play one at 85 with 5k AA's right off the bat.
All classes are quite daunting to look at when you ding them to 85 with all the spells and AAs. Just go ahead, and you can learn as you go. All part of the fun.

It does suck a little making a heroic char on an F2P account I must say though, because once you boost them, you cannot earn any more AA at all. :( My Wizard is a bit set back by the fact that the last two ranks (4 and 5) Quick Damage AA (faster casting nukes) are from House of Thule, and thus not autogranted. They are now unobtainable unless I go gold sub.

Free first world problems. :argh:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Anybody manage to get one of those Legatus Faceplates before they fixed drop rates?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Pilsner posted:

All classes are quite daunting to look at when you ding them to 85 with all the spells and AAs. Just go ahead, and you can learn as you go. All part of the fun.

I couldn't survive long against light blues in oceangreen the first time I went out there with my heroic bard and 89 cleric + mercs. I eventually started figuring it out.

Open the aa window and filter by "Can activate" to make the list more manageable and see whats out there.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Midnight City posted:

Haha, I'm pretty sure I sniped him from Kodaji on Test at one point when I was trying to finish my 1.0.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Open the aa window and filter by "Can activate" to make the list more manageable and see whats out there.

Ooh, I hadn't noticed that option.

What I did notice, thanks to a loading screen, is that you can right click an empty spell gem and get a menu of spells in nice categories. Very helpful for figuring out what I have that can do what.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

New thread reminder that it's bullshit Barbarians can't be paladins, they were created by Mithaniel Marr for gently caress's sake.

Without a big race option the only acceptable paladins are Halflings.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Midnight City posted:

Without a big race option the only acceptable paladins are Halflings.

This could be the most wrong thing in the thread.

Halflings are never acceptable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

This could be the most wrong thing in the thread.

Halflings are never acceptable.

This, multiplied by a number so many times that I'd run into the character limit

Death to Rivervale. We have this Jumjum. Mithaniel Marr is Great.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I have the Rivervale music set as the ringtone on my phone, no joke.

I also roll Halfling as my second choice for every class that cannot be Gnome. :D

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Going to go for the Coldain shawl on the pally that I'm totally sticking with, never done tradeskills before though so what are with trophies? I'm reading that it's best to do the skill level 50 trophy immediately, but that you have to keep using recipes that are within 100 skill levels of your skill or the trophy doesn't get any XP from it? Are trophies what let you go from 300 to 500(?) skill because even with AA's my skills max out at 300.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Trophies just have stats, a skill bonus, and the ability to summon bags. They don't let you go past 300, though the maxed trophy bonus will get you an effective skill of 345.

It's best to do the level 50 trophy immediately because it's got the easiest recipes to acquire it, and it will level up with you anyway. The recipes you use to skill up probably will all be within 100 levels, so there's not a problem there, and I think if you reach the next tier of skill the trophy automatically levels regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Zhentar posted:

I think if you reach the next tier of skill the trophy automatically levels regardless.

It doesn't automatically level, but lower level trophies skill up faster on higher level successes. Trophies skill up on every successful combine where the trivial is above your current skill but less than 100 above. Once you get to 250 skill the 100 level limit doesn't apply anymore. The trophy adds an increasing percentage to your actual skill to determine whether or not the combine succeeds.

There are also AAs for each tradeskill that reduce your chance of failure by 10/25/50%. This doesn't show up in the tradeskill container window, but it does apply to every combine. Even at max skill + max trophy + max AAs, 500+ trivials still have about a 40% chance of success. Plan mats accordingly. There's another AA called Salvage that has a percentage chance to not use up an ingredient when you fail a combine. Each ingredient is checked individually, so it may mean your 2 gold vendor ingredient gets saved while your rare and expensive ingredient doesn't. That will help skilling up, since over the course of 500 combines you may salvage enough for another 20-30 more combines.

I suggest testcopying large amounts of tainted feathers and animal fearbones, because fletching is terrible if you're not an elf or don't worship Karana, and those two items are basically how you get from 200-300 if you can't make blessed arrows. I don't know what Test's bazaar looks like, but the other tradeskills are relatively easy to get leveling mats for.