Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

I'm going to say the thousand dollar car in the south. It's less about the cars and more about the relationship they forge with them.

Not to mention it does not feel too scripted and really gives the impression it's just some friends hanging out.

Ok I'm blocking out the cow.

..and the "rednecks" throwing rocks, and the gators in the river next to the track...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

marsisol posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Nile special yet. I thought that one was amazing. It's near the top for me along with Bolivia and Vietnam.

I was going to mention it, but I think that special was let down by such a weak second part. The first part was amazing, and I remember getting really excited for the second part, but it was just a complete and utter letdown.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm pretty sure they were filming it for comedic effect ("look how much bigger it is than May's puny crane. We can carry two bundles of bamboo and look how long the boom is...") and then it tipped over because it didn't have the outriggers deployed and had to boom extended all the way out while moving. Also the camera at the end of Jeremy's crane showed that it was rotated slightly and he'd just driven onto the berm on the side of the road to go around James when it tipped over. Its all static shots until the guy filming May's crane zips over to see what the hell is going on and then its a bunch of cameramen trying to get shots of something they hadn't planned.

It also seems rather genuinely dangerous for May, like way beyond their normal limits of scripted danger.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

It was a long way to go for an unnecessary racist joke (54:30). "But, there's a slope on it."

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
All of the people saying how bad the India special was need to calm down and eat some British muff

murphle posted:

It was a long way to go for an unnecessary racist joke (54:30). "But, there's a slope on it."
Is that what they were talking about? That went completely over my head.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rudager posted:

It also seems rather genuinely dangerous for May, like way beyond their normal limits of scripted danger.

My favorite is the ending of the Bolivia special where the producers looked at the remains if Hammond's Toyota and said "no loving way". Someone is pretty careful about what their presenters Can do. They've gotten too big to be driving Porsches into a walnut tree.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

webmeister posted:

I was going to mention it, but I think that special was let down by such a weak second part. The first part was amazing, and I remember getting really excited for the second part, but it was just a complete and utter letdown.

The first 5 min of the second half of the Nile special made me pee my pants laughing. That whole "things got a lite crazy last night but everything is ok now" followed by the cars all have pieces from each other is the perfect delivery.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nmfree posted:

Is that what they were talking about? That went completely over my head.
I didn't think it was anything other than a comment on their lovely bridge-building skills. Same as if they'd said it had a slant, nothing to do with epicanthic folds, they're just applying the usual "ambitious but rubbish" to civil engineering.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

murphle posted:

I honestly did a huge double take when they said that. Yes, they were actually saying the bridge was uneven, ho ho wink wink, so they'll get away with it. But drat do they need a slap for that like what happened they after the Let's Insult Mexico incident.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I must be too young, I've never heard of "slope" as a derogatory term until now.

quote:

Slope, slopehead, slopy, slopey, sloper
(US and Aus) a person of Asian (in Australia, especially Vietnamese; in America, especially Chinese) descent.[188]

I don't even...

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Sorry guys I don't think there's anything in this one. We don't use the word slope as a slur over here. You'd use it when something has a slope in it, like when you'd literally build a bridge with no knowledge of civil construction, and it had a slope in it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, it was a complete accident the shot was framed so that it centred on a lone Asian man walking along the bridge.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Private Eye posted:

Sorry guys I don't think there's anything in this one. We don't use the word slope as a slur over here. You'd use it when something has a slope in it, like when you'd literally build a bridge with no knowledge of civil construction, and it had a slope in it.

Are you sure they weren't purposely using a racial slur from another country to get around the censors? I need to feel outraged as often as possible.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a good two parter. Very enjoyable and loved the scenery

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, it was a complete accident the shot was framed so that it centred on a lone Asian man walking along the bridge.

Pretty much. A man was walking across as they were looking at the bridge that they'd just built and saw that one side was higher than the other. Slope isn't a racial word over here. It's got absolutely no connotation with Asian people.

the racist word for them in the UK is chink, or harrow there

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Private Eye posted:

Pretty much. A man was walking across as they were looking at the bridge that they'd just built and saw that one side was higher than the other. Slope isn't a racial word over here. It's got absolutely no connotation with Asian people.

the racist word for them in the UK is chink, or harrow there

Yeah, 'slope' as a slur is most definitely a Korean/Vietnam-war-era USGI thing, it's not really something a bunch of middle aged Brits would use in that way. Even if they were trying to be edgy by using foreign (to them) slang like that, nobody in their target audience (tax-paying BBC viewers) would think to take it in any other than the literal sense of 'not level', so it's not even really effective as a slip-it-past-the-censors thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why bother making the statement at all then? It's like saying "it's kinda rickety". Well duh.

It wouldn't have made the edit if it weren't meant as a joke.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

It wasn't racist. Make like a bridge, and get over it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bridges are over

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Flux Wildly posted:

It wasn't racist. Make like a bridge, and get over it.

You must have loved their Africa special then, because you're living in de Nile.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

You must have loved their Africa special then, because you're living in de Nile.

Now that people in both this thread and the DnD Picture thread have said that slope isn't a word used by the British. Are you going to keep on your social crusade against issues that aren't even there?

It wouldn't even have crossed British people's (the target audience) minds that they were talking about the guy on the bridge. The first time I watched it I didn't even notice there was a man on the bridge when they said it, and had to rewatch it to see him. This isn't a tricky or hard concept. We don't say slope to refer to asian people .

It was not a racist statement. They were talking about a bridge they had just built and commenting on the viability of said bridge. Christ almighty. How is this a hard concept to grab.

Last time I went to the footy the pitch had a decent slope to it. I commented on this to my asian friend. Now I see I was being racist and insensitive.

On topic, it was one of my favourite specials. The scenery was immense, and I couldn't stop laughing at James's van.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 18, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm American and I've never heard the word--all I saw was an off-balance bridge when they said that.

No racism intended, implied, etc.

But yes, back on topic: I loved this special, and the scenery was amazing. I was already planning to travel to Myanmar/Burma in the next few years and this just helps confirm that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Private Eye posted:

Now that people in both this thread and the DnD Picture thread have said that slope isn't a word used by the British. Are you going to keep on your social crusade against issues that aren't even there?

I don't believe it for a second, but I'm happy to drop it.

I certainly enjoyed everything else about the special and it's much more fun to focus on that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Private Eye posted:

We don't say slope to refer to asian people .

Do the British say "there's a slope ON it" though? I'm curious because in the USA we'd say it has a slope, or it's sloped. The slope isn't an object that's physically on top of it, it's something inherent in the design. I also don't get why Richard then pointed to the lower side of the bridge and said it's higher on that side.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 18, 2014

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

davebo posted:

Do the British say "there's a slope ON it" though? I'm curious because in the USA we'd say it has a slope, or it's sloped. The slope isn't an object that's physically on top of it, it's something inherent in the design. I also don't get why Richard then pointed to the lower side of the bridge and said it's higher on that side.

I'm happy to drop this also, and focus on what was an awesome episode, but we do say there's a slope on something if it's sloped. Like if I was talking about my drive, I'd say it's got a big slope on it.

Does the egg into radiator trick actually work to plug leaks?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Private Eye posted:

Does the egg into radiator trick actually work to plug leaks?

I assumed they were counting on it causing some sort of massive breakdown.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I assumed they were counting on it causing some sort of massive breakdown.

It actually works amazingly well but the radiator has to be hot.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Probably would be fine for temporary patches to tiny, tiny pinhole leaks, but anything bigger and you're relying on an egg to not pop straight out when the system heats up and pressurizes.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rudager posted:

Probably would be fine for temporary patches to tiny, tiny pinhole leaks, but anything bigger and you're relying on an egg to not pop straight out when the system heats up and pressurizes.

I've seen multiple quarter inch size holes be fixed in a pinch with some raw eggs. Is it permanent? No, but protein is an amazing glue and the structure of a radiator lets it grip really well. You could probably get a few hundred miles of highway driving out of an egg fix.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Private Eye posted:

It wouldn't even have crossed British people's (the target audience) minds that they were talking about the guy on the bridge. The first time I watched it I didn't even notice there was a man on the bridge when they said it, and had to rewatch it to see him. This isn't a tricky or hard concept. We don't say slope to refer to asian people .

It was not a racist statement. They were talking about a bridge they had just built and commenting on the viability of said bridge. Christ almighty. How is this a hard concept to grab.

You're no fun at all. It was obviously a nod to their worldwide audience, a portion of which, mostly older Americans who've watched a lot of war movies, would get the wordplay. It was a clearly playacted pair of lines, and was completely pointless to include in the final edit unless it had a secondary meaning.

It was still an enjoyable pair of episodes though. Hammond's outfit was the best.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

murphle posted:

You're no fun at all. It was obviously a nod to their worldwide audience, a portion of which, mostly older Americans who've watched a lot of war movies, would get the wordplay. It was a clearly playacted pair of lines, and was completely pointless to include in the final edit unless it had a secondary meaning.

If anything I took it as their typical "ambitious, but rubbish" line.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Gonna agree that the first half wasn't amazing, but I really liked the second part. Probably could've cut out a bit of the first part, but it could've been so much worse.

I also really liked the Africa one, but mostly because they all had wagons.

Private Eye posted:

Yeah, for real. They were just playing up the similarities to Bridge On The River Kwai with typical British humor. There's no way that was a racial comment.

Especially after Hammond downing Black Cock, you're not going to top that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This all reminds me of people who say "Okie" in chats instead of "OK", and when I'm all "Hey dude that's kind of a loaded term, especially in California", they all go like "what who's Steinbeck LOL"

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Data Graham posted:

This all reminds me of people who say "Okie" in chats instead of "OK", and when I'm all "Hey dude that's kind of a loaded term, especially in California", they all go like "what who's Steinbeck LOL"

I hope you're being facetious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I didn't say "okie-dokie". :colbert:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It's an abbreviation of the aformentioned colloquialism of okay. Considering that the alternative is a derogatory term used by white americans against poorer white americans that rapidly fell from public use after they got jobs in the post-war economy and is now a historical footnote, I don't think anyone cares that it shares pronunciation with the 1930's equivalent of "hick," if they even make the connection in the first place.

corgski fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 19, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know, and that's kind of what has always bugged me. Should I care that it used to be a slur, and that I'm now apparently the only person in the world who knows? Or should I just go with the flow and allow a term of derision to become lost to history along with all the suffering and oppression it connoted?

It's like how pirates are now cartoon characters, but back in the day the stuff we turn into Johnny Depp movies would have looked like ghoulish 9/11 jokes.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

You can't leave a wound open forever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Perhaps one day, in a hundred years or so, we will get a movie of some lovable terrorists who fly their magical plane into a building to defeat the evil American Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The was practically the ending for Independence Day.