Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: my UniFi AP-LR decided to be weird and bring up an IP but not SSH. Finally discovered to be some odd wiring and then the controller starting pushing out an upgrade. The upgrade proceeded to break the device and would not hard reset. There is apparently a weird rear end TFTP-server that pops up on 192.168.1.20 if you hold down the reset button when switching on so you can replace the firmware.

Still confused that a restore from controller backup brings up every wireless network "open" but a reboot fixes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey guys, crazy question:

I need to deploy a broadband grade connection between two sites 16.5 miles away from each other. I have line of sight and the height and everything, I just need to know which of these spread spectrum transmitters is best for what I'm doing. Ive been referred to the Ubiquiti NanoBridge M5. Going on their website, though, there are tons of different options and even multiple that are under the banner of M5 (I guess I would get the highest gain one). Any alternatives or other options to consider? My main concern is range and throughput, but I do need to consider price as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NanoBridge is probably your best option considering they are dirt cheap. An AirFiber will go faster but they are about 20x the price last time I looked.

Set up a pair of NanoStations last week for a short P2P link, very happy with them.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Which AirFiber has the range I need?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Which AirFiber has the range I need?

The 5GHz model. The 24GHz one is only rated for ~13km/8mi, and that's under good RF conditions. That'll run you about $2000 for a pair. If that's outside your budget, then you can get a pair of NanoBridge dishes for about $200. The difference is that the AirFiber gear will create a ~1Gbps link and the NanoBridges will do about 150Mbps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Attended a Meraki webinar this afternoon and they are miles, miles, loving miles beyond where the Bluesockets we have are.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Bob Morales posted:

Attended a Meraki webinar this afternoon and they are miles, miles, loving miles beyond where the Bluesockets we have are.

Clear your bowels before you get the Meraki pricing so you don't poo poo your pants.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Stugazi posted:

Clear your bowels before you get the Meraki pricing so you don't poo poo your pants.

Currently running about 20 Meraki switches for access layer, 25 APs and a handful of Firewalls for only VPN use. Budgeted to expand this even farther this year.

While they are insanely dead simple to work with, their prices still shock me. Previous network guy went down the Meraki path and money doesn't seem to matter to anyone.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Looking at page 10 of this document:

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanobridgem/nbm_ds_web.pdf

The spec sheet for the 5ghz Nano Bridge with the most gain.

In the table for data rate, its all just MC50, MC51, ect ect. What does this mean? How can I determine the the different data rates?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_rates

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stugazi posted:

We're not switching anytime soon but I'm sure it's worth it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thank you for that, forgive my ignorance.

edit: Oh jesus, i'm an idiot. Those are S's, not 5's.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 18, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's not MC50, it's MCS0.

Edit: I see you noticed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Currently running about 20 Meraki switches for access layer, 25 APs and a handful of Firewalls for only VPN use. Budgeted to expand this even farther this year.

While they are insanely dead simple to work with, their prices still shock me. Previous network guy went down the Meraki path and money doesn't seem to matter to anyone.

What do you expect from a Cisco product? :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

We're not switching anytime soon but I'm sure it's worth it.

The Merakis are slick and I support a bunch of them, but they aren't worth the price.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KillHour posted:

What do you expect from a Cisco product? :v:

We purchased our initial wave before Cisco bought them. I am waiting for it to get even more insane.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I really like Meraki stuff but they need to address the pricing. The switches in particular cost more than a Cisco Catalyst, and then there's the licensing on top. They are nice, but they aren't that nice.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
They at least come with 3 years of licensing/support (unless they dropped that since the summer).

The fact that they are 100% cloud managed and shut off without active support, that is a real kick in the teeth.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just get Unifi APs and be done with it, unless you need the really fancy traffic shaping and firewall stuff at the WAP level.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Has anybody else had issues with AC UniFi APs? Our ToughSwitches keep locking up when more than one AC AP is connected to them. We thought it might be power draw but we tested it in the lab and no dice. I saw somebody in another thread mention that they can act kind of weird when they're in close proximity, but I'm not sure that that's the case with us.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you contacted their support? I haven't spent a ton of time with them, but I was very impressed with their responsiveness when I opened a ticket with them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Internet Explorer posted:

Just get Unifi APs and be done with it, unless you need the really fancy traffic shaping and firewall stuff at the WAP level.

I just deployed them with the linux controller on a VM. That was the easiest thing I've ever done.

Now I'm just waiting on the drat firmware update for zeroconf handoff.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
How well does the beta firmwares for ubiquiti run? I am currently deciding between ubiquiti or meraki for a pretty small office (4-6 APs) + a couple of even smaller offices (1-2 APs) and am a little confused about what is actually in the new software already and what they're still working on.

I am leaning towards ubiquti because we really don't need much more than employee's logging on with their AD credentials, and a separate isolated guest wifi network, and the meraki's seem like overkill.

Did the free webinar for the free meraki the other day and will probably just order the $70 cheap AP to test and play around with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

They at least come with 3 years of licensing/support (unless they dropped that since the summer).

The fact that they are 100% cloud managed and shut off without active support, that is a real kick in the teeth.

They don't come with anything. The licensing is on top, although different resellers will bundle things differently or take hit on the hardware to sell the licenses.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Has anyone used Aerohive (or Cisco/Meraki) Bonjour gateway for managing apple airplay connectivity between vlans? Or knows of another solution? Right now I'm using Avahi on a linux box and it's having some trouble and I'd rather throw some money at it than figure it out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Caged posted:

They don't come with anything. The licensing is on top, although different resellers will bundle things differently or take hit on the hardware to sell the licenses.

Good to know. Our old guy loved to throw money at problems so that is why all our Cisco APs and access switches (still humming along fine) are mostly gone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aquila posted:

Has anyone used Aerohive (or Cisco/Meraki) Bonjour gateway for managing apple airplay connectivity between vlans? Or knows of another solution? Right now I'm using Avahi on a linux box and it's having some trouble and I'd rather throw some money at it than figure it out.

Used Meraki and Aerohive. They both work, which is all they need to do.

Aerohive discontinued the Bonjour Gateway virtual appliance but a free-if-you-attend-the-webinar AP sat across the VLANs will do the job. You can even turn the radios off and just use it for that if you want.

Moey posted:

Good to know. Our old guy loved to throw money at problems so that is why all our Cisco APs and access switches (still humming along fine) are mostly gone.

The hippy in me really hates that a box of plastic and electronics is only fit for the trash as soon as the license expires. Donating them to someone wouldn't do you any good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aquila posted:

I use aerohive's bonjour gateway, but I also run an aerohive wireless environment. It definitely has some rough edges but it mostly works. I'm working through some weird issues with tech support right now.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I use aerohive's bonjour gateway, but I also run an aerohive wireless environment. It definitely has some rough edges but it mostly works. I'm working through some weird issues with tech support right now.

While that's not the most worrisome thing someone could post it's pretty close. We should be getting a demo unit this week and seeing if it does what we want.

In general I've seen some people in here talking about using Meraki and other wireless vendor switches. Is there anything special about these? Just PoE? Just an ethernet switch? Why not use Cisco or Juniper?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cloud managed, basically. If you know what a VPN is then they don't offer a huge amount other that not having to worry about whether you've remembered to trunk certain VLANs to certain ports to support your APs.

What they are great for is sending an 8 port PoE model to a site with a couple of APs and some VoIP handsets and being able to manage it as long as an internet connection exists, regardless of whether it's a dynamic IP, the end of a 4G link, whatever.

Personally I really like the APs, the other stuff is a much harder sell because the cost differences between the Meraki version of something and the Cisco / Juniper / HP equivalent is so much larger than with the access points.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aquila posted:

While that's not the most worrisome thing someone could post it's pretty close. We should be getting a demo unit this week and seeing if it does what we want.

In general I've seen some people in here talking about using Meraki and other wireless vendor switches. Is there anything special about these? Just PoE? Just an ethernet switch? Why not use Cisco or Juniper?

How many apple clients do you have?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aquila posted:

Fancy screenshots and dashboards

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

THF13 posted:

How well does the beta firmwares for ubiquiti run?

I've also got this question. In our case we are building a tradeshow exhibit with heavy wifi angles. Unifi worked great for us this time and we think that having the roaming capabilities of 3.0 would be great but we are a bit gun shy about reliability. Now, it has been in beta for a while so I expect it is in pretty good shape but I'd love to have some seat of the pants updates if anyone has them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

Fancy screenshots and dashboards

This, and they are dead simple for "non network people" to stare at.

I am currently running Meraki for our access layer then Juniper for everything else.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's our current dashboard, circa 1996

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

How many apple clients do you have?

All of them. Let's say 100 Employees all with a Macbook Air or Pro, and 75% of them use iphones as well. My linux desktop is literally the only non mac or non laptop system in the company. I also have a Macbook Pro and iphone I use alot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aquila posted:

All of them. Let's say 100 Employees all with a Macbook Air or Pro, and 75% of them use iphones as well. My linux desktop is literally the only non mac or non laptop system in the company. I also have a Macbook Pro and iphone I use alot.

Try to turn off via policy as many bonjour advertisements as you can, I guess; the laptops are going to cause a bit more trouble than the phones. With that level of mdns traffic flying around you should be okay, I think. My main issue with the Bonjour Gateway at this point is that when it does have problems, it seems to be very inconsistent. That being said, it's a hell of a lot better now than it was last software revision.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Try to turn off via policy as many bonjour advertisements as you can, I guess; the laptops are going to cause a bit more trouble than the phones. With that level of mdns traffic flying around you should be okay, I think. My main issue with the Bonjour Gateway at this point is that when it does have problems, it seems to be very inconsistent. That being said, it's a hell of a lot better now than it was last software revision.

Policy? I can do policy on all the macs that I (don't) manage? gently caress, it's a whole new world. Also I really need to hire an IT guy, anyone need a job in LA?

So I got the demo unit in and after a fair amount of annoyance managed to get it doing what I wanted, at least as well as my old avahi mdns discovery reflector. Amusing once it started working the Bonjour Gateway monitoring screen reports no realms and no devices (it showed all devices and such when it wasn't working).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aquila posted:

Policy? I can do policy on all the macs that I (don't) manage? gently caress, it's a whole new world. Also I really need to hire an IT guy, anyone need a job in LA?

So I got the demo unit in and after a fair amount of annoyance managed to get it doing what I wanted, at least as well as my old avahi mdns discovery reflector. Amusing once it started working the Bonjour Gateway monitoring screen reports no realms and no devices (it showed all devices and such when it wasn't working).

I guess I assumed these were managed osx / iOS devices.

Also wtf your bdd should be reporting the serviced its seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Are you guys running Ubiquiti UniFi stuff also using the software controller? I'm having a hell of a time getting it to run as a service and I'm pretty sure it's Java's fault. 2008 R2 VM, tried following the instructions and video, installed both 32- and 64-bit Java. Service appears to start but can't reach the management website.

• Locked thread