Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Conjunctivitis spreads like loving wildfire on college campuses.

Wash your hands, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing I don't get is that colleges occasionally start having disease-related trouble that only comes up when you have overcrowding, that just get worse when you have unsanitary conditions (like every college dorm, ever), but are trying to pack even more kids into college dorms. Like hey, let's see what happens when we indirectly force meningitis outbreaks to happen. Hell yeah!

Dorms in general are a thing that's always baffled me. They're a terrible idea in every way imaginable and I've never met anybody that's had much positive to say about them.

Does your school not require current vaccines? I remember having to submit health paperwork before living in the dorms freshman year to prevent meningitis outbreaks.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Does your school not require current vaccines? I remember having to submit health paperwork before living in the dorms freshman year to prevent meningitis outbreaks.

all they ask is for dates of the inoculation on my campus, they don't ask for any sort of proof. you can even just write in unknown

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing I don't get is that colleges occasionally start having disease-related trouble that only comes up when you have overcrowding, that just get worse when you have unsanitary conditions (like every college dorm, ever), but are trying to pack even more kids into college dorms. Like hey, let's see what happens when we indirectly force meningitis outbreaks to happen. Hell yeah!

Dorms in general are a thing that's always baffled me. They're a terrible idea in every way imaginable and I've never met anybody that's had much positive to say about them.

My dorms required proof of meningitis vaccination before moving in precisely because the close quarters makes it easier to spread/contract. The common areas weren't absolute shitholes either, but that's probably because our dorms were apartment-style, so there were like 3 people sharing a bathroom, max, and 6 max sharing a kitchen, plus RAs had to do monthly health and safety inspections on their floor. Maintenance was pretty good about coming to fix things too, you just submitted the work order online.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

karl fungus posted:

How does a unisex bathroom work? Is it just all stalls, or are they just single-occupant rooms?

My undergrad didn't become coed until 1980 so while all the dorm bathrooms were coed, they were all former men's rooms with stalls, urinals, and showers. It was incredibly convenient.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I wish whoever the hell that drat Structural engineer student on the floor we have our group room, would stop eating rotten herings or whatever the hell causes that awful smell. The price of Unisex toilets, turns out everyone makes a loving mess, gender sure doesn't matter much.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Big Grunty Secret posted:

My college only REQUIRED you to actually hand in the vaccination paperwork if you were a nursing student. You were required to have proof of certain vaccinations if you wanted to actually get a teaching degree. Other than that they didn't even require the paper be handed in. I couldn't find my records on such things so I just handed in the sheet with all of that blank. Ensuring that you had a meningitis vaccination was merely "recommended" if you were living in the dorms. Which I never did. I commuted.

But still...our dorms are not apartment style and they're always filthy. I'm surprised nobody has died.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RagnarokZ posted:

turns out everyone makes a loving mess, gender sure doesn't matter much.

I used to clean a college bar every night and can verify this. You're all filthy fucks, regardless of what's between your legs or which restroom you use. What the denizens of the ladies' rooms make up for by being able to aim slightly more accurately (do not interpret that as any implication that they don't piss, poo poo, and vomit everywhere like anyone else) is negated by their constant marking up of the walls with the sickest poo poo imaginable about each other. Seriously, what compels someone to sit down to piss and simultaneously pen a hundred word essay about how many abortions Suzy Smith had from how many fathers? poo poo's nasty, yo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Conjunctivitis spreads like loving wildfire on college campuses.

Wash your hands, kids.

I almost never get sick because I wash my hands probably way too much and I keep away from people who are coughing and such.

It still drives me nuts that drat near no one seems to know how to wash their hands. Everyone who I see washing their hands next to me will put some of the foam soap on their dry hands, rinse it off immediately, and then "lather" water for a few seconds. Why even bother?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

BattleMaster posted:

Why even bother?

Because they think that's how you wash your hands? How are you supposed to?

Farecoal has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Mar 19, 2014

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

What are you supposed to do when someone leaves their wet clothes in the washer? Can you just put it on top of the washer like normal clothes?

I was thinking about this since I went into the laundry room today and discovered that all 6 washers were available. So just out of pure spite and actual need (I haven't washed my sheets in a while), I used every single washer.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Group projects, ugh. 3/4 of the people I have to work with are horrible; one hasn't been to class in a month, one would rather check facebook than do any work, and another is so computer illiterate that she doesn't even know how to make text appear in italics in loving word documents. There's one other person in the group who seems reliable, and we're strongly considering doing all the work ourselves so the other three don't gently caress it all to hell.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

A White Guy posted:

What are you supposed to do when someone leaves their wet clothes in the washer? Can you just put it on top of the washer like normal clothes?

I was thinking about this since I went into the laundry room today and discovered that all 6 washers were available. So just out of pure spite and actual need (I haven't washed my sheets in a while), I used every single washer.

usually there's a 5 minute grace period then your free to remove them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A White Guy posted:

How many people is this room supposed to serve? We've got 30 washers and dryers in our laundromat.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kavak posted:

How many people is this room supposed to serve? We've got 30 washers and dryers in our laundromat.

Dorms at my undergraduate has something like 10 of each for a dorm of over 1000 people.

Suffice to say I did most of my laundry at home/off-campus.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dorms at my undergraduate has something like 10 of each for a dorm of over 1000 people.

:stonk: Holy mother of god.

We've got 6 washers + 6 dryers for around 150+ odd people (this one serves just the building). It's get pretty busy on Sunday/Saturday, but during the week, it's pretty empty.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Back when I dormed out I just did my laundry in the early AM hours. I still do it even though I live at home now. You might think, "who the gently caress does the laundry at 2 AM?" and that's exactly the point.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

karl fungus posted:

Back when I dormed out I just did my laundry in the early AM hours. I still do it even though I live at home now. You might think, "who the gently caress does the laundry at 2 AM?" and that's exactly the point.

I think that's why they keep them open to 1 AM here.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I do my laundry at 3 AM, ya'll are wussies. :colbert:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Farecoal posted:

Because they think that's how you wash your hands? How are you supposed to?

You lather the soap before you rinse it off. Soap doesn't do anything if you just rinse it off instantly without latering and spreading it around, and rubbing water on your skin doesn't really do anything to pathogens.

Edit: Normally I wouldn't care but I have to touch things that people who don't wash their hands properly/at all rub feces/mucous/flu viruses on :/

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Mar 19, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

A White Guy posted:

:stonk: Holy mother of god.

We've got 6 washers + 6 dryers for around 150+ odd people (this one serves just the building). It's get pretty busy on Sunday/Saturday, but during the week, it's pretty empty.

Yeah it was bullshit.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
All this dorm talk made me go look at my old dorm's page on our website, and I had another laugh. Some real aspect-ratio stretching deception going on here. The picture on the left is the actual cube sized sink for a double occupancy room, and the picture on the right is what housing wants you to think it looks like.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Aug 17, 2014

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I had to sit in the laundry room of my old dorm because my underwear would mysteriously disappear out of the washers and dryers if I wasn't in there the one semester. Never figured out who would want ratty, stained old panties but hey, it at least gave me an excuse to go buy nicer ones.

Now I live in an apartment 10 min away from the dorms and even if students puke or piss in the stairwells on weekends I don't have to worry about people taking anything from the laundry room.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I had to sit in the laundry room of my old dorm because my underwear would mysteriously disappear out of the washers and dryers if I wasn't in there the one semester. Never figured out who would want ratty, stained old panties but hey, it at least gave me an excuse to go buy nicer ones.

Now I live in an apartment 10 min away from the dorms and even if students puke or piss in the stairwells on weekends I don't have to worry about people taking anything from the laundry room.

I've never understood this, they're clean, so... why not just buy some if you really want panties that badly?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I've never understood this, they're clean, so... why not just buy some if you really want panties that badly?

The fact that they'd been worn at all is why they were stolen, I think :suicide:.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
it would be really nice if the on campus convenience store was open during spring break for those of us who stay on campus. I'm not even asking for full time service an hour a day would be fine do it during the same reduced hours of the building's front desk.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Shuffle posted:

it would be really nice if the on campus convenience store was open during spring break for those of us who stay on campus. I'm not even asking for full time service an hour a day would be fine do it during the same reduced hours of the building's front desk.

Ours was open. Unfortunately, my school's store is like a Soviet dispensary that can only reliably stock pizza,cereal, and milk.

They've had this nasty rear end holiday popcorn stuff on sale since I arrived at the school, which is going on 7 months ago.

Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My current dorm has one washer and dryer per floor. There's about 70 people on each floor. Our washer breaks constantly.

Needless to say, I usually end up doing my laundry at 1 A.M.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Blackboard is the devil's program. "You can stop and resume this test later", so I open it up and glance at some questions before leaving for work, come back and it is 8 hours overdue, :shepicide:

I loving hate Blackboard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Astrofig posted:

:lol:/sympathetic hug to people without a nice electronic submission system like CROPS. By the way, what the hell is your red text from?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Astrofig posted:

It's the worst

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Every prof I've ever had that used Blackboard actually said through clenched teeth that the assignment is on Blackboard (because administration wants them to use it).

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

We have an in-house online homework site that I actually like, called Moodle. It's alright, as far as clunky online submission sites go.

I've reached the point where I expect teachers to post things like syllabuses and assignments online. The one course that doesn't do this makes me :argh:.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

A White Guy posted:

We have an in-house online homework site that I actually like, called Moodle. It's alright, as far as clunky online submission sites go.

I've reached the point where I expect teachers to post things like syllabuses and assignments online. The one course that doesn't do this makes me :argh:.

Moodle is pretty common, it's not really the same sort of thing as blackboard and mastering X though.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Aerofallosov posted:

Or that some people freak out that 'omg that MAN is using the woman's bathroom' or vice versa

From my limited experience this stops being a thing two weeks into college, where everyone stops giving a poo poo and goes to whatever bathroom is closest to their dorm room. I am not going to pretend I really understand what it is like for trans individuals however, but my college is pretty liberal.

Also, we have a serial masturbater in the guys bathroom who used to leave his cum all over the urinals according to some of my unfortunate guy friends, as well as what is apparently (I hope!!) a ventilation problem because I walked into the laundry room one night and it smelled literally like poo poo in there.

e: We have 2 washers and dryers (and the dryers take twice as long as the washers of course) for about 90 people, which is why the fact that someone may or may not have poo poo inside them is even more of a problem.

SC Bracer has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Mar 27, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Had a prof demand that we use the discussion feature as part of our grade. Wanted to strangle that motherfucker.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I had one class where a woman would bring a plastic shopping bag that she would spit phlegm into. All period long you could hear her hocking, spitting, and the tiny sound of the phlegm hitting the bag. :barf:

No one ever sat next to her since it was so gross, except for one guy who moved seats after about 5 minutes of this. I always tried to strategically find a seat as far from her as possible, but there was no escaping that sound.

Another time, in a freshman computer science class, some shitbag sitting next to me was browsing pictures of corpses on Rotten.com. I actually had to threaten to tattle on him to the teacher to make him stop.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The new alerts system on Blackboard does nothing other than piss me off. I like that we can see new content added for all courses on one page in a list, that's cool and convenient. Except for the fact that it doesn't contain any loving links to the full post within the courses' sites. I have a 'program site' where tons and tons of stuff gets posted for everyone in my degree to see. I saw something that looked really interesting today, wanted to read it even though it didn't really apply to me for the time being. I can't find it. Pieces of poo poo who designed this garbage, I swear.

Agent THC-303 (DD)
Jul 14, 2002

It's my mission
My chemistry professor had an obsession with butane and used it for demonstrations throughout the semester. The first day of class he almost lit a girls hair on fire by igniting too much of it. The next class everyone moved to the 2nd and 3rd rows of desks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

My philosophy textbook was a selection of essays regarding different subjects. No questions to answer, nor even an introduction. Just essays, which are probably hosted somewhere on the internet for free. I paid $10 to read a bunch of old men arguing about opinions and metaphors when there's a perfectly good Facebook for that.

At least it was $90 cheaper than my psychology book bunch of pages I had to buy a binder for. At least that one was an interesting read--and harder to Google, thus justifying the purchase a tiny bit more in my head.

• Locked thread