Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

Binary conversion is easy

code:
128  64   32  16  8  4  2  1 This set of numbers never EVER changes, just start with 1 on the far right, double till you get 128 on left.

All of these numbers end up adding to 255.

Placing a 0 or 1 in any column "activates" that bit, so you add all the 1's and ignore all the zeros.

1111 1111  is 255
0000 0000 is 0
0000 0001 is 1
0000 0010 is 2
0001 0000 is 16
0101 0010 is 82
1000 0000 is 128
0111 1111 is 127
1111 0000 is 240

So if you see this

128  64   32  16  8  4  2  1
 0    0    1   0  0  0  0  1 
The binary number = 33

Also, for subnetting it's even easier since subnets only use blocks of contiguous 1s starting on the left. Each "255" in a subnet is a stack of 1s, and the non-255 octet can only have those discrete values: 0 (in the case of no 1s), 128, 192, 224, 240, 248, 252, 254:

code:
1000 0000 is 128
1100 0000 is 192
1110 0000 is 224
1111 0000 is 240
1111 1000 is 248
1111 1100 is 252
1111 1110 is 254
1111 1111 is 255
Bitwise math is elegant and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Crap I cut off the top, see my second one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MrBigglesworth posted:

This is a chart I whipped up in Excel

Have I express my love for you? If not, I love you. :worship:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ignore the first one above!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 18, 2014

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Irritated Goat posted:

Have I express my love for you? If not, I love you. :worship:

And here is a link to my OneDrive account for this file

http://1drv.ms/1fFyegz

Forget that first picture, I cut off the top so it is missing some crucial data and the forum wont let me edit it out.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I am in Security+ land and we have Transcender for practice. This morning I took the entire suite of questions 411 and scored 94%. Only 1 chapter deep in this reading, I guess/hope I am off to a good start.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo
Can anyone recommend any good study material for the 2012 MCSA exams, primarly 70-411 and 70-412. There seems to be next to no books out on the material and no lab manuals.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MrBigglesworth posted:

Paging MC Fruit Stripe, how did you score?
On 70-642? I took it 3 weeks ago and failed it because the test is not passable. The first week after it I was studying hardcore, flying up and down Technet, having the time of my life. The last 2 weeks I've done no studying because I have been Busy As gently caress. At some point I will simply give up and lie about having it like everyone else I've ever met.

OH MY THAT IS A SEXY SPREADSHEET ABOVE ME

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 18, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrBigglesworth posted:

I am in Security+ land and we have Transcender for practice. This morning I took the entire suite of questions 411 and scored 94%. Only 1 chapter deep in this reading, I guess/hope I am off to a good start.

Thanks for your chart! Def going to put it to use. Sec+ isn't hard at all. It's a lot of common sense and remember the term/acronym.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On 70-642? I took it 3 weeks ago and failed it because the test is not passable. The first week after it I was studying hardcore, flying up and down Technet, having the time of my life. The last 2 weeks I've done no studying because I have been Busy As gently caress. At some point I will simply give up and lie about having it like everyone else I've ever met.

OH MY THAT IS A SEXY SPREADSHEET ABOVE ME

That sucks. I was behind on the thread and saw you said you scheduled for 14th so I was curious. I only got 500 on it, highest score of all my classmates. That test is a total loving bitch. How does one get MCSA 2008 certified if you cant pass that fucker?

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

rock2much posted:

Thanks for your chart! Def going to put it to use. Sec+ isn't hard at all. It's a lot of common sense and remember the term/acronym.

This exactly. Outside of experience, all I did was read the Darril Gibson book once through. Passed with plenty of room to spare.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

For subnetting on the exams, I use the method here: http://www.quest4.org/ccna/subnet_cheat_sheet.htm

This has worked for me on Microsoft's tests and on my CCNA. It just saves me a lot of time. Maybe I'm just more of a visual person. For complicated subnetting in real life, you have to learn to do the math but the exams aren't real life and I'd just rather spend my time focused on more complicated questions.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Good lord, that book has 4.8 stars out of 310 reviews. That guy must be doing something right. Why cant there be any Cisco or MSFT books like that?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

MrBigglesworth posted:

Good lord, that book has 4.8 stars out of 310 reviews. That guy must be doing something right. Why cant there be any Cisco or MSFT books like that?

What book is this MrBigglesworth?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

tadashi posted:

For subnetting on the exams, I use the method here: http://www.quest4.org/ccna/subnet_cheat_sheet.htm

This has worked for me on Microsoft's tests and on my CCNA. It just saves me a lot of time. Maybe I'm just more of a visual person. For complicated subnetting in real life, you have to learn to do the math but the exams aren't real life and I'd just rather spend my time focused on more complicated questions.

Not gonna lie, aside from the block sizes, CIDR notation, and corresponding mask (which you will definitely need to know off the top of your head), in real life I've always just used a subnet calculator because why would I spend the time to sit there and calculate an addressing scheme manually when there's tools that exist for that exact purpose?

That being said, you have to learn it for the exam and just so you understand what the hell is going on.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 19, 2014

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Vintimus Prime posted:

What book is this MrBigglesworth?

The Security+ book

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-301/dp/1463762364

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I may want to cut myself during and afterwards but I'm kicking the idea of taking the 70-331 and 70-332 track for SharePoint.

Are the ExamRef books the only worthwhile materials? I also have 'Pro SharePoint 2013 Administration' from Apress handy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Welp, MTA Networking Fundamentals passed with a 92. Took about eight minutes, the one thing I studied was looking over the OSI model in the parking lot. There wasn't a single OSI model question on the whole drat test. Welp.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlternateAccount posted:

Welp, MTA Networking Fundamentals passed with a 92. Took about eight minutes, the one thing I studied was looking over the OSI model in the parking lot. There wasn't a single OSI model question on the whole drat test. Welp.

So is there really any point in taking this exam? What is your background like?

I really should start hording certs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There really was no point other than an easy thing to do to boost confidence before I start on MCSA.
Microsofts question wording is still kind of bad.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I wouldn't even bother with the MTA Network Fundamentals if it wasn't part of WGU curriculum. Network+ does the same thing and stands out more for Keyword Bingo on resumes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Have that, too.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

Stanos posted:

I wouldn't even bother with the MTA Network Fundamentals if it wasn't part of WGU curriculum. Network+ does the same thing and stands out more for Keyword Bingo on resumes.

Is MTA frowned upon for networking or for everything? The MTA Database Fundamentals looks interesting as I'm trying to move to more technical role but if it has no value then I won't bother with it. The MSCE level is too advanced for me right now.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mouse Cadet posted:

Is MTA frowned upon for networking or for everything? The MTA Database Fundamentals looks interesting as I'm trying to move to more technical role but if it has no value then I won't bother with it. The MSCE level is too advanced for me right now.

No it's a good cert for someone who is learning the basics of networking, however I would say the Net+ has a bit more weight. Depends where you work though, if you're working for a microsoft partner MS certs are always good.

As long as you learn something and got something out of the certification there is no "bad cert".

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Mouse Cadet posted:

MTA certifications are not frowned upon. They're just quite basic. They're a very good primer for the areas they cover, and will help someone who's new to the industry get a job offer.

AlternateAccount posted:

Congrats buddy. I'm taking mine tomorrow. I had a few OSI questions on mine last time - I'm pretty nervous for tomorrow but I've studied quite a bit.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Mouse Cadet posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong I don't believe it's useless but if you gave me a choice of taking the 98-366 (MTA-Network) or Network+ I'd pick the Network+ simply because it fits idiot HR keyword bingo better in my experience. I've had to explain it enough that I'm tempted to just throw my own money at Network+ so I stop getting 'clarification' on it.

Like Dilbert said, I really don't think ANY cert is useless as long as you get something out of it that'll get your foot in the door or help your career in the long run.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Thanks for the info. I use DB2 at work but I rarely see jobs that use that. I have SQL Server at home and I use it for training so getting a cert would add some legitimacy to my resume. I'm looking for technical business analyst or data/reporting analyst role not a developer so MTA might be perfect for me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Having taken both, the Network+ is way more involved.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

For anyone doing the SQL 2012 exams, probably good to try and wrap them up in the next month, as Microsoft will be revamping them to include SQL 2012 & SQL 2014 content, and there's always a lag between that and when test prep materials are updated:

quote:

Certification Update—SQL Server 2014

To help students stay current with upcoming release of SQL Server 2014, all MCSE-level SQL exams (464 through 467) will be updated on April 24, 2014 to cover solutions based on both SQL Server 2012 and 2014 products.

The MCSA: SQL Server 2012 credential and associated exams (461/462/463) will remain in market without alterations. No MCSA: SQL Server 2014 credential will be released.

Details on the exam updates, in the form of side-by-side comparisons of exam objectives, are now available for review through the "content covering SQL Server 2014" link in the Skills Measured section of each Exam Detail web page:

Exam 70-464: Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
Exam 70-465: Designing Database Solutions for SQL Server 2012
Exam 70-466: Implementing a Data Warehouse with SQL Server 2012
Exam 70-467: Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Note While the exam numbers will not change, the product version (2012) will be removed from the titles of the exams. Updated Microsoft Official Courseware (MOC) will be available in May 2014.

Whether you have started on the path to earning your certification or are just about to begin, we recommend that you continue moving forward. For certifications on SQL Server 2012, the exams you take now will still count towards your certification.

For the latest information on upcoming changes to the certifications and related exams, please review our SQL Server FAQ.

http://pages.email.microsoftemail.c...9e-3d6a9a706110

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Passed the CompTIA 802 earlier with 856. :toot: There were three questions in a row with the same answer. :v:

Now to actually book the MCSA 70-410 and wait for the apprenticeship to start the Network+.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone offer any insight into the ITIL Foundation exam? Just basically a matter of memorizing all of their annoying acronyms and flow charts? Anything I should really focus on?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
If you like extremely dry and boring reading, you will do just fine.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Protip VCP's: VCP's now expire after 2 years but can be renewed by taking VCP/VCAP/VCDX's

http://wahlnetwork.com/2014/03/17/zomg-vmware-vcp-certifications-now-expire-end-nigh/

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Anyone have any NetApp certs? Started studying for NCDA and drat does it seem tricky.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Having a hard time focusing on reading my VCP books - rather be doing stuff hands-on, and reading snippets about stuff like VUM (and not having it, and not feeling like downloading the trial version) is a bit annoying. Are there any sites out there that have lab overviews so I can practice this poo poo rather than try to memorize it?

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I took the Stanley class and can't get motivated enough to keep studying for the VCP. I decided to put it on hold and went balls to the walls into CCNP Switch. Hoping I'll get some motivation to come back to it after that. The two year re-cert kind of rubs me the wrong way. I understand re-certifying is a good idea, but would've liked 3 years :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So in studying for the CISSP I used the Gibson book as the primary text, the Conrad book for the supplementary review text, and now I'm using the Shon Harris practice exams as a final evaluation before actually scheduling the exam. After completely bombing the first 3 knowledge domains, I've determined that either she wrote her questions to be significantly more difficult than the real test, or the two books that I used weren't enough, because a lot of this poo poo wasn't covered. Anyone here who's taken it who can comment?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Having a hard time focusing on reading my VCP books - rather be doing stuff hands-on, and reading snippets about stuff like VUM (and not having it, and not feeling like downloading the trial version) is a bit annoying. Are there any sites out there that have lab overviews so I can practice this poo poo rather than try to memorize it?

Haydez posted:

I took the Stanley class and can't get motivated enough to keep studying for the VCP. I decided to put it on hold and went balls to the walls into CCNP Switch. Hoping I'll get some motivation to come back to it after that. The two year re-cert kind of rubs me the wrong way. I understand re-certifying is a good idea, but would've liked 3 years :(

I fault the VCP class for being way too monotonous and not really getting the fact that we're paying them for a rubber stamp. I had great success following the exercises in this book: http://www.amazon.com/VMware-Certified-Professional-vSphere-Study/dp/1118181123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395676014&sr=8-1&keywords=vcp+book Not sure if you had another, but you could probably just do the labs, read up on the facts, and go at your pace - but be forewarned, the exams do hit upon a lot of situational stuff. You'll need to know the stuff from the books.

One unfortunate thing, though - VCPs taken after 3/10 now require renewal :-( http://wahlnetwork.com/2014/03/17/zomg-vmware-vcp-certifications-now-expire-end-nigh/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So is there a consensus on the 2012 MCSA vs. 2008? I'm leaning toward 2012, but I can't articulate why. Also, is there a preferred order for taking the tests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

So is there a consensus on the 2012 MCSA vs. 2008? I'm leaning toward 2012, but I can't articulate why. Also, is there a preferred order for taking the tests?

There's not a hugely compelling reason to do 2008 unless you plan on doing the upgrade just to have "more" certs.