Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

actually its the difference between god, nature, and satan - evolution
(god's computers: the apple macintosh, ourselves, computers squared - complictated or evil computers - think android linux, or windows XP or 8)

fun fact lets put this in other numbers - 2^4 = 16 (carbon, u, the shitposter), 42 = H20 = water (sea, earth) 1+(9-2) = 7 = nitrogen (air, fire)

stick them all together and u get N20 - laughing gas - and N20(9) (H20)2 C (420) = the weed number

look at it backwards, and you get funny stuff (laughing (N20) at (2) things (C))

if the things are computers theyre 64 bits = 2^9 * 2 = 18/2 = 9

so the funny computer number is for reelz the 219

the pos is the union of 420 and 219, the true chill place to hang out with ur bros

for more on this exciting new videogame blend of progamming math and weed, keep an eye on ur local app store. itll be here in hovr form

slow down there wutang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Stringent posted:

the only way to contribute to an open source project is to use it and fix poo poo as you need it, unfortunately

this is easy now with github tho

fork poo poo steal poo poo pull request if u care enough

thats another tip sulk actually, store loving all your toy poo poo in Git

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

MeruFM posted:

slow down there wutang
superawesome is a crank

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

talking to users is like 99% of the useful part of your work. if you can't talk to an end user about what you are about to do to the product, you are a great target for outsourcing to alabama/india

yeah this is something they're hammering in for engineering as well. a major revolution in quality control was apparently "hey let's find out what the customer defines as quality so we can try to aim for that instead of ~~market trends~~"

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

on the contrary, actually, your operating system for understanding said data input is infact an outdated broken innacurate piece of poo poo. YOS POS, biatch!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

and people say weed isn't a hard drug

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Weed needles have killed 42 people daily worldwide since 1979. watch out, it's a dangerous world. Stay safe. Stay normal. Stay sober.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stringent posted:

the only way to contribute to an open source project is to use it and fix poo poo as you need it, unfortunately

on occasion i have looked at open bugs and tried to fix them. invariably the reason they are open is that the bug report is too vague to recreate it

at least with my own bug i know how to reproduce it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the attitude i am trying to combat

sales people are good at sales. this usually implies that they are very friendly. it almost never implies strong "soft skills"

fixing bugs only matters in proportion to how much it affects users

working on an awesome n**2 to n*log(n) transition matters exactly not at all unless users are complaining or it enables users to do something new with the product

talking to users is like 99% of the useful part of your work. if you can't talk to an end user about what you are about to do to the product, you are a great target for outsourcing to alabama/india

while this is true, I think you're being mistaken in comparing unit tests to, like, pointless algorithm refactoring or whatever

the point of unit tests is to make it not scary to modify code you haven't seen before, and thus make it faster to write new code (even with the unit tests). ime I've found code with good unit tests is easier and faster to write (correct) code for, so I think the theory here is accurate.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fixing bugs only matters in proportion to how much it affects users

working on an awesome n**2 to n*log(n) transition matters exactly not at all unless users are complaining or it enables users to do something new with the product

currently i have 0 ability to talk to end users as my role is working on the core services that app backends rely on. that said, it's typically not hard to quantify the impact of a change on end users & I'm very dubious of doing work that doesn't have a quantifiable impact. the rest of what you said i'm going to call self-management and agree that devs who act as a consumer of tasks & producer of commits are not making a good case for why they boss should employ them over anyone else

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

currently i have 0 ability to talk to end users as my role is working on the core services that app backends rely on. that said, it's typically not hard to quantify the impact of a change on end users & I'm very dubious of doing work that doesn't have a quantifiable impact. the rest of what you said i'm going to call self-management and agree that devs who act as a consumer of tasks & producer of commits are not making a good case for why they boss should employ them over anyone else

the "users" you have to think about aren't always end-users out there in the public. if you're providing services and interfaces to the front-end developers, you can work with those guys to make their jobs easier and better, which causes a ripple effect

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yeah.

your users are the service consumers, so it's in your best interest to work closely with those consumers and be more useful/responsive than an off-shore team

write good docs

dont let a legion of BAs get in the way

go to fuckin meetings and really participate, let users actually see you playing the "active listening" game.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Stringent posted:

idk there also tends to be the class of open source stuff that gets tagged 'community' and so you can just sorta bump in and snag one or two of those and implement such as this issue/feature I added for an OS project I use

For people who are in a weird place looking for their next jobs I am a big fan of the OS thing and trying to build that profile in whatever community you want to work with.

I got lucky for sure tho.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah.

your users are the service consumers, so it's in your best interest to work closely with those consumers and be more useful/responsive than an off-shore team

write good docs

dont let a legion of BAs get in the way

go to fuckin meetings and really participate, let users actually see you playing the "active listening" game.

this is the best lesson i've ever learned as a developer. you need to own your presence everywhere because your job isn't to produce software, it's to justify why you should produce software.

if you're in a meeting that's about your work and you don't say anything you're a loving idiot and you're actively eliminating your own job.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

nrook posted:

while this is true, I think you're being mistaken in comparing unit tests to, like, pointless algorithm refactoring or whatever

the point of unit tests is to make it not scary to modify code you haven't seen before, and thus make it faster to write new code (even with the unit tests). ime I've found code with good unit tests is easier and faster to write (correct) code for, so I think the theory here is accurate.

sure, but I think what we're trying to say is that some Unit™ tests do not add that value

breaking the unit test that tested nothing doesn't necessarily tell you anything, and now you have to fix it

better to have automated integration testing to perform the same function

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

double sulk posted:

i have a terrible programmer e/n. i've been feeling kinda lovely the last week or so for a number of reasons i'd like to do some oss stuff but it feels like any of the stuff i'd like to work on i'm too behind in terms of understanding. taking elixir for example, it's a neat language and there are a couple cool projects, but the few things there are really heavy on the http/server poo poo (new frameworks being built, see: phoenix) or stuff like database querying (see: ecto). i get by decently enough with the rails stuff i do now but it's ultimately totally different from building non-insignificant programs/libraries is still over my head, and by the time i could contribute anything of value it'll either have already been implemented or something. a lot of what i'm used to essentially abstracts what's going on in the background, which is great until you need to understand it.

basically i look at projects like those and still think "where the gently caress do you start" and it's the one thing that ever makes me regret not having a traditional cs education (to an extent). at the same time, as long as i'm working and getting paid i guess i could continue to take the who gives a gently caress approach with regards to doing oss poo poo, but i feel like it puts me behind. it's a pseudo-imposter syndrome that bothers the gently caress out of me and i'm not sure what to do. maybe i really just need to sit and read books or code bases for a few hours on end but i don't know if i have the mental patience, or maybe i just need to do something that isn't a loving web app.

in a way i really hate what i do now which is be part of a place that does consulting (even if the senior guys are doing more the initial estimate poo poo) because i end up working on a bunch of vastly different applications, and the differences between 3-4 year old libraries is mixing my brain up and i can never 100% commit anything to memory. we have a bunch of rails 2 apps that still have to be moved to rails 3, and i only really know so many of the rails 2-isms, or we have old loving versions of capybara that i can't remember what the differences are from the newer ones and it slows me down so often. basically it's a massive level of inconsistency because i don't get to pick what we work on nor the stack in some cases and i think it's hindering my growth, but at the same time it wears down my personal drive to do anything else.

that was longer than i wanted it to be but i feel pretty lovely and don't particularly have anyone to talk to about it. i'm supposed to have an onsite interview this week for a scala/ruby job and the context of what i'd be doing sounds really cool in theory, but i honestly have no idea what's going to happen or if i'd end up really wanting the job if i was fortunate enough to be offered it.

it's not imposter syndrome when you really are an imposter.

you should pick a project that has a language or feature you're interested in for whatever reason. start working on it in earnest, and then pray to god that someone else DOES implement the feature you wanted so you can see someone else's take on the same problem. use it as a learning experience and don't be a whiny babby because you can't contribute in a meaningful way to something built by people years ahead of you.

get used to inconsistency. you will see it everywhere, especially in a mature code base that's only under maintenance. get used to not being able to memorize things. learn language features not frameworks. learn how to FIND the answer not know all the answers.

grow up.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i write ada at work, does this qualify me as terrible?

ada 83

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ada seems p. sweet really, but the fact that you are writing ada 83 probably immediately implies that you are working on some gigantic legacy system in a situation where you have very limited ability to make any larger changes without a long bureaucratic process

otoh programming in itself is p. boring all around anyway, spend the money they pay you on fine whisky and try to forget

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Morkai posted:

it's not imposter syndrome when you really are an imposter.

you should pick a project that has a language or feature you're interested in for whatever reason. start working on it in earnest, and then pray to god that someone else DOES implement the feature you wanted so you can see someone else's take on the same problem. use it as a learning experience and don't be a whiny babby because you can't contribute in a meaningful way to something built by people years ahead of you.

get used to inconsistency. you will see it everywhere, especially in a mature code base that's only under maintenance. get used to not being able to memorize things. learn language features not frameworks. learn how to FIND the answer not know all the answers.

grow up.

stop using ORMs

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ada seems p. sweet really, but the fact that you are writing ada 83 probably immediately implies that you are working on some gigantic legacy system in a situation where you have very limited ability to make any larger changes without a long bureaucratic process

otoh programming in itself is p. boring all around anyway, spend the money they pay you on fine whisky and try to forget

the code is thankfully well maintained, documented, formatted and commented, even the stuff from the 90s
we were talking about upgrading to ada 95 but thatll probably take years

i work support so i just fix the bugs that dev somehow sneaks in
i drink to forget the millions of unit tests

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

power botton posted:

stop using ORMs

disagree but to each his or her own

but don't require an orm. learn some data modeling and sql.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

power botton posted:

stop using ORMs

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

power botton posted:

stop using ORMs

i will use them whenever my lead says to use them. i will use stored proc and optimized queries whenever my lead says to use them. i see no reason to change this.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
orms are pretty sweet for babbies who use databases like excel

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
they also pretty sweet when your architect can't make up her drat mind about poo poo and reworking something takes an hour rather than a day.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Awia posted:

the code is thankfully well maintained, documented, formatted and commented, even the stuff from the 90s
we were talking about upgrading to ada 95 but thatll probably take years

i work support so i just fix the bugs that dev somehow sneaks in
i drink to forget the millions of unit tests

I started learning/writing Ada 2005 a couple months ago and it's actually very pleasant. Reminds me of Pascal.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Morkai posted:

they also pretty sweet when your architect can't make up her drat mind about poo poo and reworking something takes an hour rather than a day.

nice mensrights post, rear end in a top hat

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
like us men have any rights in obama's america, right guys? #benghazi

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Stringent posted:

nice mensrights post, rear end in a top hat

whoops! let a gendered pronoun slip in, my bad. i can tell you all about men that have done that much and worse and/or the women who are my everyday heroes!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont know why you'd ever put a man in charge of anything. good luck making important buysiness decisions if sportsball is on and if anyone ever wanted to take advantage of that guy all they'd have to do is send in a female business executive with a pushup bra and BLAMMO you've just got yourself a 10 year contract

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dear yospos how do i programming job when i live in florida and make $9 an hour and can't afford to move to the west coast where all the jobs are? tia

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
do programming as contract work.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

dear yospos how do i programming job when i live in florida and make $9 an hour and can't afford to move to the west coast where all the jobs are? tia

any major city has tech jobs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

not here for what i know how to do (python web dev) but oh man if i knew php or vb.net i'd be in business and probably want to kill myself

i'm a big retard and somehow ended up in project management and computer security classes in college instead of learning anything useful. let me tell you all about waterfalls.

i did apply to the one python place and they called me and talked to me and said they'd be in touch but it's been 2 weeks so they prob realized i'm a useless poo poo like everyone else

i'm really depressed is what i'm saying

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dont program computers.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey what's the easiest way to make a dumb little gui for a python script

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dont all python guis are terrible

real answer: pyqt? never used it though