Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MrChips posted:

Above: Artist’s impression of Hawker P.1154 in Royal Navy service. Below: Hawker P.1154 diagram.

This new airframe and engine combination, designated the P.1154, had all the makings of a successful aircraft; the performance was stellar, combining a top speed of nearly 1,200 miles per hour, a much longer range than the P.1127/Kestrel as well as far greater payload capacity...so great was the P.1154 that it was favoured to be the prime production aircraft that derived from the original P.1127. Unfortunately for Hawker, When the Labour Party was elected to government in 1965, they ordered a stop to nearly every aircraft project ongoing in the United Kingdom (save for Concorde, but they would have cancelled that too were it not for fear of causing an international incident), of which the P.1154 was one; instead of a potentially world-beating aircraft, the British ultimately decided to purchase F-4 Phantoms for the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. Work stopped at once on the P.1154, though much later on, the lessons learned with the P.1154 (especially in the area of the engine) made their way with great effect into the ultimate successor to the P.1127, the Harrier.

Important side note about the P.1154 (the "real Harrier"): it would have gotten a lot closer to production had the RAF and RN not gone to fisticuffs over requirements for the new plane. Unable to afford two versions, and unable to rationalize the engineering behind making one plane do both jobs, neither service got one. Probably, in hindsight, for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Saw some baby 737s today.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Like little green minnows :3:

Does anyone know what the brown enclosures are for? They're on some of the cars but not others.

I didn't know they shipped the 777 fuselages by rail too. Pretty cool logistics.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh man, I haven't heard that bit in forever. :golfclap:

Me neither, and it came rushing back instantly. A++, good reference, would reminisce again.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I came up with a new "theory" for the Malaysian 737 earlier today, which I thought I'd share:

Boeing is stealing planes back to resell as-new to cover production shortfalls.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Does anyone know what the brown enclosures are for? They're on some of the cars but not others.

For shipping parts of MH370, obviously. Horizontal stabs maybe?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Saga posted:

Excuse me, do you have stairs in ur plane???

drat, I'd know the back of that plane from anywhere. I've been up and down those stairs thousands of times. (not those exact ones, but same model)

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Like little green minnows :3:

I didn't know they shipped the 777 fuselages by rail too. Pretty cool logistics.

My cousin is a engineer at boeing and gave me a tour of the assembly plant. He pointed those out to me and mentioned they are actually to protect certain parts while in transit from gunshots. I guess boeing has had a issue with people taking pot shots at trains for fun and they got sick and tired of getting parts with bullet holes in them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Deverse posted:

My cousin is a engineer at boeing and gave me a tour of the assembly plant. He pointed those out to me and mentioned they are actually to protect certain parts while in transit from gunshots. I guess boeing has had a issue with people taking pot shots at trains for fun and they got sick and tired of getting parts with bullet holes in them.

loving flyover states :wtc:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I too flyover them so I don't end up at my destination with pot shot holes in me.

But if that ain't the darnedest middle America thing :banjo:

Could also be Renton or Kent :getin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hackbunny posted:

This designation hurts my head

A little bit, but calling it the "Mirage 3V" just doesn't work either.

Madurai posted:

Important side note about the P.1154 (the "real Harrier"): it would have gotten a lot closer to production had the RAF and RN not gone to fisticuffs over requirements for the new plane. Unable to afford two versions, and unable to rationalize the engineering behind making one plane do both jobs, neither service got one. Probably, in hindsight, for the best.

The RAF-RN slapfight over the P.1154 is absolutely one of the big reasons why the project got cancelled (and why it's cancellation remains one of the most contentious cancellations anywhere); I sort of glossed it over partly because my post was running long, and partly because it would take an entire infopost to tell the story of the final implosion of the British aviation industry in the 1960s. ;)

To make paraphrase the P.1154 story, the RAF wanted a supersonic fighter-bomber; basically, a supersonic VTOL follow-up to the Hawker Hunter. The Royal Navy, on the other hand, wanted a jack-of-all-trades aircraft with emphasis on interception; what they wanted was what they got in the end...the F-4 Phantom. As such, the Royal Navy wanted a large, two-seat aircraft with a big radar, while the RAF wanted a single-seater without a lot of complicated avionics. Even though they were initially enthusiastic for the P.1154, the Royal Navy soured on the deal when the saw the proposed aircraft; all along, they secretly wanted a CATOBAR aircraft, which would help them secure funding for the replacement for HMS Ark Royal. Since the P.1154 wasnt CATOBAR capable, it would make funding the new carrier a rather difficult sell.

Ironically, the Navy never did get their funding for the new carrier either; my guess was they pissed off too many people by abandoning the P.1154 and selecting the F-4 instead.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 19, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
This was a cool Harrier thing I saw the other month:

http://x-plane.org/hawkers/Hawker_Harriers.html

The P1214-3 Flying Squirrel design would have been future-awesome. Pretty sure it ended up as a GI-Joe toy.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just gave my cousin a call to verify. He said it is mostly a issue when the fuselages are going through Kansas.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Deverse posted:

Just gave my cousin a call to verify. He said it is mostly a issue when the fuselages are going through Kansas.

What's the matter with Kansas?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^ If you live outside of KC/Larry/Topeka it is so loving boring and awful and soul sucking that you wind up getting drunk and shooting at trains because there's nothing else to do ^^^

Deverse posted:

Does not surprise me in the least.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Handsome Ralph posted:

At least it wasn't broadcasting live like those two helicopters were during that police pursuit in New Mexico years ago.

That poo poo was some serious :smith:

You mean the midair over downtown Phoenix? Or was there another one in NM?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Believable, non-terrorism theory on Malaysian Airlines Flight 370

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's believable about this? The rule of thumb is 20 minutes or so to get down? Swissair 111 had roughly that and plenty of time to communicate anything.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kilonum posted:

Believable, non-terrorism theory on Malaysian Airlines Flight 370

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

Posted yesterday, the G+ link on the previous page. Certainly note plausible than anything the news is trotting out.

Except for the lizard people theory.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Locator posted:

You mean the midair over downtown Phoenix? Or was there another one in NM?

Yeah, that's the one. I mixed up my southwestern states again :saddowns:

Deverse posted:

haha :wtf:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I own that very kit, also with a 1/48 B1 that I've been wanting to build
for the past 20 years :smith:

Space Gopher posted:

An international standard for a supersonic multirole V/STOL aircraft that turned into an expensive pie in the sky project? Good thing we won't make that mistake again!

It looks like it's trying to pinch out a loaf.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

slidebite posted:

It looks like it's trying to pinch out a loaf.

I got a slightly different mental image... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF_0fQcoOhg

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Deverse posted:

People also do this poo poo with passenger trains and it's more common everywhere than anyone really wants to know. That's why the FRA requires train glass to be bulletproof.

I was in a yard once while they were changing out windows on passenger cars and every last one would have been a headshot.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

hackbunny posted:

This designation hurts my head

Yeah, what is that anyway? 2? 8?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

TheDon01 posted:

Yeah, what is that anyway? 2? 8?

Mirage III, "V" for vertical.

See also,
Mirage:
IIIC
IIID
IIIX
IIIDL

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Advent Horizon posted:

People also do this poo poo with passenger trains and it's more common everywhere than anyone really wants to know. That's why the FRA requires train glass to be bulletproof.

I was in a yard once while they were changing out windows on passenger cars and every last one would have been a headshot.

:catstare: :wtc:

I didn't think I could hate people more than I do already, but here we are.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Best MH370 theory I've heard yet: David Copperfield.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Can anyone help me identify the type of plane in this photo of former Congo president Moise Tshombe?

the caption, "1963 Moise Tshombe Kolwezi Private Plane Belgian Secretary Press Photo"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 19, 2014

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

WEREWAIF posted:

Can anyone help me identify the type of plane in this photo of former Congo president Moise Tshombe?

the caption, "1963 Moise Tshombe Kolwezi Private Plane Belgian Secretary Press Photo"

Could be a North-American T-6 Texan. Michael Hoare and his mercenaries had quite a few of them in Congo at the time.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 19, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sir Cornelius posted:

Could be a North-American T-6 Texan. Michael Hoare and his mercenaries had quite a few of them in Congo at the time.

T-6s are two seat tandem aircraft. It's not a T-6.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Advent Horizon posted:

What!?! There either needs to be a thread about this or a link to an article about it. I did a google search and couldn't find anything.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

WEREWAIF posted:

I *think* it's a Miles Messenger, the clues being a gull wing door and hints at a twin/triple vertical stab tail.

The only thing that makes me wonder if it could not be this, is the split plane glazing on the gullwing doors, but that's possibly something that varied.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

168757 by Powercube, on Flickr

Any idea why the raked wingtips would be off so far into the modification/flight test regimen?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Powercube posted:

Any idea why the raked wingtips would be off so far into the modification/flight test regimen?

That's a strange photo to me. I associate that wing configuration with smaller planes, so seeing them on a jet that size is like seeing a car on bicycle wheels.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Blistex posted:

What!?! There either needs to be a thread about this or a link to an article about it. I did a google search and couldn't find anything.

I dunno about a link but I've seen some stories locally to the same effect. Also, IIRC some locomotives have steel bars over the windshield to prevent rock strikes etc etc from going under an overpass.

Extremely rural and extremely urban parts of the US can be hilariously nefarious. Though I miss the old days of NYC when the trains were tagged out to all hell, lots of times they ended up being strangely beautiful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powercube posted:

I know zilch about raked wingtips in general, and 737s in particular, but the lower winglets on MD-11s are a deferrable item. Find a damaged one? Remove them both and dispatch the airplane. They look funny though.

Lots of civvie 737NGs were built without winglets, and flown directly to Commercial Jet in Miami to have them installed, because it was cheaper than paying Boeing for them. Winglets aren't terribly structural.

Might be something similar.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

That's a strange photo to me. I associate that wing configuration with smaller planes, so seeing them on a jet that size is like seeing a car on bicycle wheels.

P-8s aren't built to cruise at 32k feet. Wouldn't smaller wings make sense if you're flying at 1000 feet all day and don't want to be buffeted to all hell?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrYenko posted:

Lots of civvie 737NGs were built without winglets, and flown directly to Commercial Jet in Miami to have them installed, because it was cheaper than paying Boeing for them. Winglets aren't terribly structural.

While you're right about most of this. Winglets "are" a big deal when it comes to structure. They had a lot of stress to the wing roots. Adding winglets to even a slow plane like a cessna requires a lot of math to ensure you won't get in trouble if the weather gets bad.

For flying low, like a P-8. No winglets definitely makes sense.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Nerobro posted:

For flying low, like a P-8. No winglets definitely makes sense.

Well, they're technically raked wingtips

168440 by Powercube, on Flickr

P-8s have them for cruise endurance. Going to have to disagree with you on this one as P-8s rarely get "low and slow".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jonny Nox posted:

Best MH370 theory I've heard yet: David Copperfield.
There's one theory I haven't seen yet: