Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arquinsiel posted:

That worries me. People seem fine with my Maggie avatar....

Yeah Jauche, I think you were just hanging around with some really uncool people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Azathoth posted:

Graf Speed

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
"If this Pocket Battleship drops down below the speed of eight knots IT WILL EXPLODE!"

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 18, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't suppose you are going to cover any of the Royal Navy White Elephants in future posts mllaneza?

Though the French Navy stuff is facinating.

I had forgotten about the hit on the Graf Spee's fuel processing plant. That was a lucky hit. The desalination plant was hit too, that'd make a trip home rough.

I should definitely do Fisher's Follies, probably as a lead-in to the French carriers.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Do you mind saying what school you go to? or at least if it is public/private and in what province? I had a different experience through my secondary education and barely had any history that related to Argentina or Latin America in my tertiary. Nobody ever told me that Pearl Harbour was a big conspiracy, for example, (although the myth relating to that was explicitly mentioned to point out how convoluted and ridiculous it was). Are you doing an outright history degree or is it a humanities field that has a bit of that mixed in?

Hey there, forgot you were an Argentinian too. I'm studying History Licenciate at the Universidad Publica de La Pampa. It is an outright history degree.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
So I have question about WW1 italian front. It has been brought up in my education mostly in the context of (miniscule) Czechoslovak legions. The whole story is mostly about nothing happens and then Austria wins and then Italy wins at Veneto and anyway Eastern front! Well, I was reading a book and this overview ended with dates of occupation of Austrian cities. So what really happened late on italian front and how hosed Austria-Hungary was?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah Jauche, I think you were just hanging around with some really uncool people.

Arquinsiel, your avatar makes my eye twitch. Anyway, it was this thread or it's predecessor. :clint:

No really, it's harmless compared to the medieval history thread.

So here's a mughal crab bow from the Grayson collection. These are the apex of bowyery and were in use well into the 18th to 19th century.

They are some kind of a mystery, as even the best guys today can't make them in the original configuration work effectively (which was reported by british archery enthusiasts in the 19th century). One can only wonder about the level of sophistication that these indian craftsmen possesed. They're the wootz steel of bowyery if you understand the analogy. Makes me wonder if we don't underappreciate the martial history of India.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 18, 2014

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Just to get my post in on Graf Spee chat, didn't she also fire off some large fraction of her ammunition load in that first battle?

Her Captain might have been spooked by the fake radio transmission but his analysis was basically correct - once spotted and trailed, his ship wasn't making it home.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Azran posted:

Then Felipe Pigna comes along and says "You guys do realize how expensive oil was in Buenos Aires, right? Why wouldn't they use water." :allears: I can't recommend that guy enough for general Argentinian history, if any of you have any interest.

I do. Gimme the reading list. Gimme! Gimme!

Spanish language resources are okay, I need to practice anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

Arquinsiel, your avatar makes my eye twitch. Anyway, it was this thread or it's predecessor. :clint:

No really, it's harmless compared to the medieval history thread.

So here's a mughal crab bow from the Grayson collection. These are the apex of bowyery and were in use well into the 18th to 19th century.

They are some kind of a mystery, as even the best guys today can't make them in the original configuration work effectively (which was reported by british archery enthusiasts in the 19th century). One can only wonder about the level of sophistication that these indian craftsmen possesed. They're the wootz steel of bowyery if you understand the analogy. Makes me wonder if we don't underappreciate the martial history of India.

This is really interesting. What sort of wood is that? Is it multiple laminated layers of different stuff, or what?

When it's strung, does it bend the opposite direction to how it looks in the picture, or am I misunderstanding it somehow?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

JaucheCharly posted:

Oh, just using my steam name here for reasons of DayZ
Can you BB me? I'll give you a can of beans.

Thanks guys, I'm loving the Battlecruiser chat since I'm reading Castles of Steel right now, holy poo poo Beatty's wife was crazy.

Mister Gopher
Oct 27, 2004
I eat my own poop
Soiled Meat

Gladi posted:

So I have question about WW1 italian front. It has been brought up in my education mostly in the context of (miniscule) Czechoslovak legions. The whole story is mostly about nothing happens and then Austria wins and then Italy wins at Veneto and anyway Eastern front! Well, I was reading a book and this overview ended with dates of occupation of Austrian cities. So what really happened late on italian front and how hosed Austria-Hungary was?

Ok so here is the deal. Italy pretty much telegraphed its moves to declare war on Austria-Hungary, and did so without really arranging its forces or its national resources. Austria had a very scrappy force at first under the overall command of a very competent Slavic (Croation maybe?) commander, who was the highest ranking Slav in the service. His force was usually composed of Slovenes, Czechs, Bosnians and Croats with some German forces. Point being, these nationalities who usually surrendered to the Russians were pretty adamant about defending their homelands, especially after the Italians came out with their goals of annexing large parts of Slovenia and the Adriatic coast. Austria used Italy's own newspapers for their propaganda.

Anyways, fighting in the Alps is crazy enough to begin with and Italy added lots of incompetence from the top down. The main leader Caldorna is a poster child of what to not loving do as a Commander in Chief. He had complete control over a large part of Northern Italy as zones of control, believed in crazy discipline that led to easily the highest amounts and rates of capital punishment for his own troops, and did not believe in leave for his troops, good training, and any challenges to his goals.

When it came to the battles, he was limited by geography and choice to a very small number of places to attack. And yet he did so in a way that was quite simply disastrous. The main place was near the Isonzo river. Where there were 12 Battles of the Isonzo. 12. loving. Battles. Not over a single campaign, over 2 years. Imagine morale for Italy when army after army gets shattered going up the same drat mountains and the same small river for 2 years. And taking a few hundred yards, then getting thrown back by some quality Austrian counter-attacks, and then being charged with desertion or more. Cadora had 1 in 17 Italian soldiers charged with discipline issues, and like 60% were deemed guilty before trial.

So after 11 or so battles that Italy started and ended, poo poo was bad for them. On Austria's side, life was tough from shortages, but morale was pretty drat good for Austria. They were constantly beating the despicable enemy that turned its back on its allies, and they were getting pretty inspired nationally. They were fighting less for Austria and more for their homes and cultures. Now note that earlier Austria launched a pretty good counteroffensive, took some ground, then retreated back to the original lines that were well built up. So Austria notices that Italy is really reeling from dissent both at home and at the front. Lots of desertions, and their contacts in Italian cities are reporting the same.

They ask the Germans for help, and the Germans reluctantly send a few divisions and commanders. These came from the Eastern front, where Russia has virtually collapsed. They bring with them the new Stormtrooper tactics that were employed in the Baltic regions. The strategy is to go quick over a large area, bypass major strongpoints, etc. This is a big change compared to the Italian tactic of having just masses of troops that are deeper than they are wide. Carpets of them. Anyways, Cadora being a "If it's not what I think then I don't want to hear it" kind of man, does not have his troops trained or prepared for defensive positions. Last minute warnings get ignored or not completely followed up on, and next thing you have is a major disaster. Over half of the Italian troops involved at first (270k out of 400k) end up surrendering with little fight, and now 1 out of Italy's 3 field armies is gone. Not beaten, not in retreat. Gone. Its a miracle that the other two managed to stave off (even more of a) disaster. Cadorna is gone, and like France with the mutiny, Italy is no longer ready to do war for the next 8 months or so.

Then England and France send major land forces to Italy to bolster them, Italy defeats a poorly done Austrian attack, but is still far away from the earlier front at the Isonzo.
During this time Austria is coming apart. The US declared war, the new Austrian Emperor is seeking peace at almost any price, the nations of Austria-Hungary are all about the 14 points, and the front is quiet.

A few weeks before the war ends, Italy launches a massive offensive with allied participation. The Austrian soldiers refuse to counter-attack, indeed halfway in the battle Czechoslovakia and Hungary declared independence. So the battle ended not with a major victory, but the dissolution of the other side.

TLDR: Italy certainly justified Churchill's comment when he learned in WW2 that Italy joined Nazi Germany: "That seems only fair, they were on our side last time"

Source: The White War, Life and Death on the Italian Front

Mister Gopher fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 19, 2014

Mister Gopher
Oct 27, 2004
I eat my own poop
Soiled Meat

Mister Gopher posted:

TLDR: Italy certainly justified Churchill's comment when he learned in WW2 that Italy joined Nazi Germany: "That seems only fair, they were on our side last time"

Source: The White War, Life and Death on the Italian Front

And as an addition, read this book and learn about horrible piece of poo poo propagandists who led Italy to fascism, the beginning of the phrase 'Duce' that was put in place by state sponsored propaganda, and the despair of being a southern Italian soldier in the frozen north.

Two frostbitten, shrapnel shorn thumbs up!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Retarded Pimp posted:

Thanks guys, I'm loving the Battlecruiser chat since I'm reading Castles of Steel right now, holy poo poo Beatty's wife was crazy.

Oh dear lord that was easily the most awkward part of the book and I thought I had blocked it out of my mind completely.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Minor footnote: The fighting on the Italian front was where a young Colonel (?) by the name of Erwin Rommel got his Pour Le Merit, the Prussian equivalent of the Medal of honor. He was supposed to get it for leading the attack that captured a key mountain that anchored the Italian line, but another officer got credit. So he captured the next mountain.

Mister Gopher
Oct 27, 2004
I eat my own poop
Soiled Meat

ArchangeI posted:

Minor footnote: The fighting on the Italian front was where a young Colonel (?) by the name of Erwin Rommel got his Pour Le Merit, the Prussian equivalent of the Medal of honor. He was supposed to get it for leading the attack that captured a key mountain that anchored the Italian line, but another officer got credit. So he captured the next mountain.

Yeah, its fun reading his account of just going behind hill after hill and capturing tons of soldiers while their Italian commanders just sit and cry out of frustration. And the fact that all the work in beating the Italians was done by their own commander.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Squalid posted:

I do. Gimme the reading list. Gimme! Gimme!

Spanish language resources are okay, I need to practice anyway.

The books aren't really available in English, as far as I see.

Most of them don't really deal with argentinian military history, but they touch on it. Just to mention some good books:
Mujeres tenían que ser (It had to be women) talks about how Argentinian history has shat constantly on amazing women as time went by, while this one is part of an ongoing series about Argentinian history myths (IIRC, it was here where the oil thing is mentioned, besides his own show). I haven't read Libertadores of America yet but it should be right up the military alley, considering the topic. :v:

The show he worked on, along with the renowned journalist Mario Pergolini, can be found in Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOePseOaCE0

It's not in English, but it tends to talk about the bloodiest bits of Argentina's history, and it's quite engaging if you can understand the language. Just out of the top of my head, it goes through the British Invasions of Rio de la Plata, the War of Independance, the Triple Alliance War and all the civil strife in between.

Just as an odd bit, the name is play on the phrase "Algo habran hecho" (they must have done something) which is an infamous phrase from the National Reorganization Process (a.k.a the military junta that fought the Falklands War) regarding people that were kidnapped for no apparent reason.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The thing that gets me about the Italian front is that parts of the front crossed through some absolutely inhospitable terrain that was apparently surrendered back to nature when the war ended. Now that we've gotten really good at poisoning the atmosphere, some of it is starting to emerge again, more or less exactly how it had been abandoned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/10562017/Melting-glaciers-in-northern-Italy-reveal-corpses-of-WW1-soldiers.html

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

This might go outside of the military but after watching the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven and loving it does anyone has any recommendation of books about the crusader states ?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Back when it came out in cinemas and I loved it I was told what "the super-definitive no really" work on the crusades was, but the name of the drat book escapes me buried under the Mission Impossible "dig through weirdly old looking parts of the Lecky Library in TCD, all the while being sure I was going to get asked for my ID and the cops would be called" shenanigans I went through to get it. And then it was so dry it was the first book I ever didn't bother to finish. Amazingly they didn't even look at the ID when I checked the book out. Sadly the girl who's ID I had borrowed may want me dead, so uh... good luck?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Slavvy posted:

This is really interesting. What sort of wood is that? Is it multiple laminated layers of different stuff, or what?

When it's strung, does it bend the opposite direction to how it looks in the picture, or am I misunderstanding it somehow?

It's a sinew-wood-horn composite. They used mulberry, mango or maple for such bows. The crosscut would basically look like this:

The main difference is, that the horn strip would be very narrow, not like in the picture. Strangely enough these bows contain a higher ammount of wood than other comparable composites (where the weight would be 1/3 glue and sinew, 1/3 wood, 1/3 horn). The whole bow will be wrapped in sinew and then be varnished. Wrapping the whole bow in sinew is unusual, as sinew and glue are relatively heavy, but the tradeoff is that the bow will store large ammounts of energy and be more stable. It's safer to use and can be strung for weeks without losing lots of power.

From the point of construction this is an immense display of craftsmanship and precision. With the sinew wrap you cannot remove material in order to make the bow bend more evenly. You have to get it right from the beginning and you can only correct with heat.

The strung bow would look like this, although with slightly more acute angles

And at full draw

If you compare the picture of my previous post, the lower one is a modern reproduction of a crab bow (also with natural materials)

You can see that it has a less reflexed grip and that the angles at the limb/ear transition are less acute. The modern reproduction is modified for stability and more simple construction. Less radical design.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 19, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Battlecruiser chat: How overmatched was the Graf Spee, if at all? I remember Castles of Steel mentioning that an officer considered its sinking the redemption of the Royal Navy's failure to engage the Goeben. Were the circumstances that similar?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The ship Graf Spee was sunk in WWII. Admiral Graf Spee commanded SMS Scharnhorst and SMS Gneisenau in WWI. Invincible and Inflexible overmatched the German armored cruisers by a huge margin and the outcome was never in doubt. However, by pursuing an enemy across the Atlantic and aggressively seeking battle, the Royal Navy demonstrated its fighting spirit. I'm not sure I'd call it "redemption" but it certainly changed the conversation.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

mllaneza posted:

More battlecruisers later !

I play Axis and Allies: War at Sea, a naval miniatures game and the French battlecruisers are some of my favorite ships to play. I am a fan of battlecruisers in general but the French ships have always served me well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The ship Graf Spee was sunk in WWII. Admiral Graf Spee commanded SMS Scharnhorst and SMS Gneisenau in WWI. Invincible and Inflexible overmatched the German armored cruisers by a huge margin and the outcome was never in doubt. However, by pursuing an enemy across the Atlantic and aggressively seeking battle, the Royal Navy demonstrated its fighting spirit. I'm not sure I'd call it "redemption" but it certainly changed the conversation.

Yup, I'm aware of that! The comparison I recall from the book was definitely between the unsuccessful pursuit of the Goeben in WWI and the successful pursuit of the SMS Graf Spee (the ship, not the man) in WWII

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yup, I'm aware of that! The comparison I recall from the book was definitely between the unsuccessful pursuit of the Goeben in WWI and the successful pursuit of the SMS Graf Spee (the ship, not the man) in WWII

Yeah the question at hand was 'should three armoured cruisers attempt to engage a dreadnaught in open seas?'

I point to the Battle of the Falkland Islands and say the answer is pretty clearly 'no'.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the question at hand was 'should three armoured cruisers attempt to engage a dreadnaught in open seas?'

I point to the Battle of the Falkland Islands and say the answer is pretty clearly 'no'.
But that was 2 armored cruisers against two battlecruisers (without counting light cruisers et al), I don't think it is directly comparable, since in the end the Graf Spee was lost, regardless of how it happened.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven't read Castles of Steel in a while but I didn't remember it including anything from WWII. If it did make that comparison it's a little inane. There were plenty of occasions in WWI to redeem whatever needed to be redeemed from Goeben's escape. Anyone still making a fuss about it in WWII was just being a dick.

Edit: The RN's principle of "always fight" makes a lot of sense for a navy doing trade protection - even if you lose your ship, you might cripple the raider, exhaust its ammunition, or otherwise accomplish something that will save a merchant ship later on. Once radio became functional for strategic communication that changed a little bit, since shadowing and waiting for reinforcements could do as much to protect trade without exposing the ship to as much risk. In Goeben's case it was a little more mixed - why take a vastly inferior force to battle against a battlecruiser that was about to bottle itself up? Unfortunately the RN had an institutional distrust of any line of logic leading to a decision not to fight.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 19, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

But that's the thing, were the ships really that disadvantaged against a Battlecruiser with leaking boilers/condensers that couldn't go up to its real speed and a single light cruiser? Castles of Steel only makes the comparison inasmuch as it says that officers, after the sinking of Graf Spee, thought that the decisions to not fight the Goeben was the wrong one. The range advantage that the Goeben had would have been negated by the fact that it couldn't reach its proper speed and the cruisers would have managed to get close.

To say that the Battle of the Falklands proved that the Goeben couldn't have fought seems slightly weird, because the two situations were not alike, while comparisons with the Graf Spee and the success that cruisers had against the Graf Spee is a much better comparison.

Also, the Goeben was a major factor into Turkey entering the war: to say that it didn't matter if the Goeben was sunk because it was 'bottling itself up' anyway seems rather short-sighted.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tekopo posted:

But that's the thing, were the ships really that disadvantaged against a Battlecruiser with leaking boilers/condensers that couldn't go up to its real speed and a single light cruiser? Castles of Steel only makes the comparison inasmuch as it says that officers, after the sinking of Graf Spee, thought that the decisions to not fight the Goeben was the wrong one. The range advantage that the Goeben had would have been negated by the fact that it couldn't reach its proper speed and the cruisers would have managed to get close.

To say that the Battle of the Falklands proved that the Goeben couldn't have fought seems slightly weird, because the two situations were not alike, while comparisons with the Graf Spee and the success that cruisers had against the Graf Spee is a much better comparison.

Also, the Goeben was a major factor into Turkey entering the war: to say that it didn't matter if the Goeben was sunk because it was 'bottling itself up' anyway seems rather short-sighted.

Even with damaged boilers etc, the Goeben was faster than the cruisers. The damage reduced the Goeben to 24 knots, while the British fleet could only make 23 - maximum. Further, there was no way for the British captains to anticipate the long term consequences.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 19, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

Even with damaged boilers etc, the Goeben was faster than the cruisers. The damage reduced the Goeben to 24 knots, while the British fleet could only make 23. Further, there was no way for the British captains to anticipate the long term consequences.

Also the British captains have no way of knowing that Goeben has damaged boilers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That might be, but the point was that once the hindsight of the Graf Spee was provided, many were convinced that the same situation could have been achieved with the Goeben: sure, they would have been damaged, but it is possible that the Goeben could have met the same fate as the Graf Spee. I think that's the point that Castles of Steel was trying to make.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tekopo posted:

That might be, but the point was that once the hindsight of the Graf Spee was provided, many were convinced that the same situation could have been achieved with the Goeben: sure, they would have been damaged, but it is possible that the Goeben could have met the same fate as the Graf Spee. I think that's the point that Castles of Steel was trying to make.

The same fate as the Graf Spee would equal the sinking of all the British ships in return for the Goeben arriving at Turkey with reduced ammunition - a result much worse than the historical one.

The Graf Spee was out in the middle of nowhere with finite fuel and ammunition, and British intelligence successfully prevented it from escaping. The Goeben didn't have to escape. It simply had to reach its destination.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

Goeben was a more powerful armed AND armored ship than Graf Spee was. She could outrange Troubridge's entire squadron and outrun it and barring very lucky hits, 9.2s would not likely penetrate Goeben's armored belt, which was significantly more than Graf Spee's.

Seydlitz was a slightly improved class, but it was built upon Moltke, Goeben and Von der Tann. Look how much damage Seydlitz took at Jutland.

Troubridge could try all he want, but its not likely to be in his favor.

Graf Spee was a hybrid cruiser/battlecruiser designed for commerce raiding. It carried six 11" guns with a maximum belt armor of 3(!) inches.

Goeben was a straight up battlecruiser designed for fleet action. It carried ten 11" guns with a maximum belt of 11 inches that tapered to 4 near the ends.

You really can't compare the two ships.

Edit: \/ If you were Troubridge, you know that your armored cruisers cant catch up to Goeben, nor can your guns hit it. What are you going to do? Send lovely WW1 destroyers in on some naval charge of the light brigade?

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fangz posted:

The same fate as the Graf Spee would equal the sinking of all the British ships in return for the Goeben arriving at Turkey with reduced ammunition - a result much worse than the historical one.
Really? The Graf Spee met one heavy cruiser and two light cruisers and was damaged enough to be forced into Montevideo. Goeben was faced by 4 armoured cruisers, light cruisers and destroyers. Why is the potential fight against the Goeben considered such a slaughter?

EDIT: Fair enough if that's the case, I only noticed the answer once I posted my own and it pretty much answers my questions.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

It's a sinew-wood-horn composite. They used mulberry, mango or maple for such bows. The crosscut would basically look like this:

The main difference is, that the horn strip would be very narrow, not like in the picture. Strangely enough these bows contain a higher ammount of wood than other comparable composites (where the weight would be 1/3 glue and sinew, 1/3 wood, 1/3 horn). The whole bow will be wrapped in sinew and then be varnished. Wrapping the whole bow in sinew is unusual, as sinew and glue are relatively heavy, but the tradeoff is that the bow will store large ammounts of energy and be more stable. It's safer to use and can be strung for weeks without losing lots of power.

From the point of construction this is an immense display of craftsmanship and precision. With the sinew wrap you cannot remove material in order to make the bow bend more evenly. You have to get it right from the beginning and you can only correct with heat.

And at full draw

If you compare the picture of my previous post, the lower one is a modern reproduction of a crab bow (also with natural materials)

You can see that it has a less reflexed grip and that the angles at the limb/ear transition are less acute. The modern reproduction is modified for stability and more simple construction. Less radical design.

Man, in another life time I went to a different undergrad that actually had a halfway descent India prof. in the department.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

And at full draw

This is cool. So why do modern reconstructors (?) have difficulty getting the bows to perform to their historical standard? Is there some lost technique that hasn't survived the ages?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This is cool. So why do modern reconstructors (?) have difficulty getting the bows to perform to their historical standard? Is there some lost technique that hasn't survived the ages?

Modern re-enactors literally don't have the strength and training to make use of many historical war bows. We're talking people who trained so drat hard for so long their bones are deformed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm aware of that, I'm meaning that in an earlier post he said:

quote:

They are some kind of a mystery, as even the best guys today can't make them in the original configuration work effectively (which was reported by british archery enthusiasts in the 19th century).

and I'm wondering what element of their construction has been lost or mis-interpreted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I originally asked this in a completely different thread, but you guys are almost certainly going to be more use for this. Can someone recommend me a decent work (ideally a fairly broad, easily followed, lively survey work) on the Russian Civil War (and potentially the post-civil war/pre-WW2 era too, though I realise that's not paricularly relevant militarily)? I'm pretty well read on the revolution, and on the Soviet side during WW2, but the bit in between remains a total mystery to me.

Also a couple of actual questions on this general topic:

1) Could explain to me how the Bolsheviks were able to triumph over the White Army et al? I know they had a substantial number of trained soldiers, but I'm led to believe that the Whites had far more, in addition to most of the old experienced military leadership and the Cossacks.

2) Possibly related to 1), what were the military benefits/costs of political commissars in the ranks? Were they ultimately a useful innovation or a harmful one?

Thanks!

• Locked thread