Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Do you want to read a ridiculously detailed document about E36 ODBC and cluster functions? No?

Too bad!

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/part1driverino.pdf

I didn't know I wanted it until you posted it. Now I covet it. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Do you want to read a ridiculously detailed document about E36 ODBC and cluster functions? No?

Too bad!

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/part1driverino.pdf
I don't even have an e36 anymore and I skimmed it. The e36 OBC was the poo poo, I don't think I've had a car with a better one since. Being able to put in distance to my destination, on a 1994 car, and get a pretty decent ETA was amazing.

Stardotstar posted:

Yes, the bumpstop doesn't need anything to hold it on the shock shaft.

Great!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I just picked up an 98 M3 sedan 5 speed from a friend for $700 :)

The catch? It's blowing crazy amounts of steam from the exhaust and a few years ago he hit a semi tire on the freeway and bent up a bunch of stuff, including maybe the frame. He replaced a bunch of suspension parts and had some shop try to fix it, but it's never been right since.

He got sick of it when the headgasket/whatever went out a few weeks ago and sold it to me a few days ago.

Today I dropped it off at the frame shop to get it measured up to see if the frame is bent and/or fixable. The first thing the guy did was pull of the strut caps and we both saw some bent sheet metal. so I think and hope that's all there is wrong and they'll fix it for $700.

If that's all it is and the frame is fixed, I'll pull the motor and fix it and have a sweet E36 M3 :)

Question: Should I pull the whole motor and rebuild it, or just pull the head with the motor in the car? How likely is it that the block is warped or cracked?

Also, I see VAC motorsports with redo an S52 head for $900 (http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---s50--s52-us-reconditioned-cylinder-head-p1315.aspx) are they good? Anyone have experience with them?

lovely pic i took at night after towing it home

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ghost M3, get some real pics up!

Could be an awesome deal, hopefully there is no real frame damage and you'll be sitting pretty good for a cheap M3. (minus labor, but that's all love)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

aventari posted:

S52 head issues
Good luck, friend. Since I overheated my m3, its never been the same. Just waiting for a rod to say bye bye to the block to grab a s50 to throw shricks in, do some head work and throw back in.

In other news, I finally got INPA and EDIABAS working properly after ~2 years of loving with them. Only to clear airbag lights on the e36 and e46touring to find out they're both the result of bad tensioners. :smithicide:

Celebratory image dump
http://imgur.com/a/V5C3R#nVW0YbJ

e: gently caress it, here's another I'm really happy

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 18, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did he owe you a huge favour? Assuming it hasn't been gutted that is double to triple that in parts.

You can pull the head in the car, but the headers are far easier to remove with the motor outside.

If I were you I would pull the S52+trams+ECU, rebuild it and install it in your e30 track car. Part the rest and you'd probably come out even :P

doogle
May 24, 2003

Got my summer wheels back on, I went with 235s in the front and 255s in the rear this time around, the 245s rubbed at full lock even with -2.3 degrees of camber (maxed out without camber plates).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

doogle posted:

Got my summer wheels back on, I went with 235s in the front and 255s in the rear this time around, the 245s rubbed at full lock even with -2.3 degrees of camber (maxed out without camber plates).

That is looking good. What color is that?

I looked hard at imperial blue for my new car and it was simply too dark, but this looks fantastic.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Crustashio posted:

Did he owe you a huge favour? Assuming it hasn't been gutted that is double to triple that in parts.

You can pull the head in the car, but the headers are far easier to remove with the motor outside.

If I were you I would pull the S52+trams+ECU, rebuild it and install it in your e30 track car. Part the rest and you'd probably come out even :P

He's a friend and the shop offered him $650 for it so he said I could have it for $700. :)

If the frame is not easily fixable, that was exactly the plan--to swap the drivetrain into the E30 after rebuilding the motor.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The seat back on the driver seat for my E30 is busted up and won't sit up properly which is bad because I have a hosed up back and I kind of need the support while driving. My passenger seat, however is in comparatively good shape because it never gets used. Can I just take my passenger seat and swap it over to the driver's side without any issues or am I going to have to take apart both seats and make one good one.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

That is looking good. What color is that?

I looked hard at imperial blue for my new car and it was simply too dark, but this looks fantastic.

It is le mans blue metallic, it is pretty close to interlagos blue, but a tiny bit less purple.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

The seat back on the driver seat for my E30 is busted up and won't sit up properly which is bad because I have a hosed up back and I kind of need the support while driving. My passenger seat, however is in comparatively good shape because it never gets used. Can I just take my passenger seat and swap it over to the driver's side without any issues or am I going to have to take apart both seats and make one good one.

You'd have to pull them apart and reassemble them. I'd try to find a working seat personally.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
VAC build some of the best BMW engines in the country. They have been having some customer service issues though, so you may want to stay on top of them to make sure the job gets done promptly.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Admirable Gusto posted:

Well I ended up buying it. Got a reasonably good deal (20% off MSRP) on a leftover 128i convertible with some niceties (tech package, leather, park sensors). It's not out and out sporty esp by today's standards, but I really like the engine and the car feels very buttoned up on the highway. And there's a lot less wind noise & buffeting than I was expecting.

I know BMW doesn't recommend an early oil change for non-M cars but is it worth doing one anyway at ~1,500 miles? Is this the sort of thing that only matters if you want to keep the car for 100,000+ miles?

Is there anything about the 1-series you don't like? I'm semi-curious but I'm wondering how it'll be in the snow and on long trips - with my new job I'm driving almost a 7000 miles a year.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

You'd have to pull them apart and reassemble them. I'd try to find a working seat personally.

They're like seriously $400 for sport seats the last time I looked, I wonder how much the normal ones are because at this point the extra leg/lumbar support isn't doing jack poo poo for me

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

They're like seriously $400 for sport seats the last time I looked, I wonder how much the normal ones are because at this point the extra leg/lumbar support isn't doing jack poo poo for me

They shouldn't be that much but keep an eye out for leatherette seats they usually go for less.

Once you get another set you can fix the old set

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Tab8715 posted:

Is there anything about the 1-series you don't like? I'm semi-curious but I'm wondering how it'll be in the snow and on long trips - with my new job I'm driving almost a 7000 miles a year.

Well I commute ~70 miles every day, and had been doing so in a Cayman S for the past 2.5 years. I used to go to the track quite often but don't anymore - for my purposes today this 128i is a step up in every single way except perhaps brand cachet (but who gives a crap?)

The biggest issues I have are that the wind noise starts to get noticeable at 70 and the size of the back seat is marginal. Both are things that I am happy to live with in exchange for a convertible top that I put down every chance I get, especially now with the wonderful weather in the Bay Area.

The car has clearly been set up to be understeery (I have the standard suspension and 16" wheels haha) but IMO that's in keeping with its character as a stable, easy-to-drive cruiser that enjoys a good spanking once a while. Don't know if that's an issue in the snow but you can always fit a bigger rear sway if needed (AFAIK the stock one is tiny)

doogle
May 24, 2003

Admirable Gusto posted:

The car has clearly been set up to be understeery (I have the standard suspension and 16" wheels haha) but IMO that's in keeping with its character as a stable, easy-to-drive cruiser that enjoys a good spanking once a while. Don't know if that's an issue in the snow but you can always fit a bigger rear sway if needed (AFAIK the stock one is tiny)

The best bang for your buck on suspension upgrades are the M3 coupe front sway bar then M3 front control arms. Both are around $300 each not including labor (I installed the sway bar in under an hour and the control arms in about 90 minutes). The sway bar kills the body roll almost completely and the front control arms allow you to get almost -2 degrees of camber. The rear sway bar is a good upgrade once you get an LSD.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of curing understeer I'd like to get some more balance out of my handling without resorting to a full suspension kit. I'd really like to keep it stock springs, but I'd like quicker turn-in / rotation, I'd be interested in hearing suggestions.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Speaking of curing understeer I'd like to get some more balance out of my handling without resorting to a full suspension kit. I'd really like to keep it stock springs, but I'd like quicker turn-in / rotation, I'd be interested in hearing suggestions.

Dinan/Turner thrust arm bushings are supposed to be miracle makers, I haven't done them, yet.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
While installing a JB4+ ECU, I opened the car door which apparently wakes up the ECU, which is a no-no when the ECU wires are not connected. This tripped the car to go into "Electrical malfunction" mode with the wipers going off and the engine not even trying to turn over.

Is there a way to reset the car to get out of this mode?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I've bolded the relevant bits, any insight would be helpful, not super enthusiastic about taking apart the top half of the engine bay to replace a $200 alternator if I don't have to.

98 528i E39 with the 2.8L I6 (M52?), 175,000 miles

Replaced the battery February 2012

I live in Texas and it is generally 45-70F (7-21C) in the winter. Recently we have had a two week cold snap with temperatures in the 23F (-5c) range. Car is always garaged at night and in a semi-covered parking garage (8th floor, open sides) 4 days a week. So this has been somewhat of a thermal shock for the car but not major considering the climate it's designed for (when new anyways)

I helped a lady jump her car off of my battery terminals about three weeks ago.

Drove home from an event Thursday night, it was about 22F outside and the car had been parked for 3 hours. Car was making a new, strange humming noise, but it was cold out and didn't sound terrible so I drove the 12 miles home. It was a slight vibrating noise, no metal on metal contact sound and it was quiet enough that I couldn't hear it over highway noise. A less anal-retentive person probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Woke up the next morning and the battery light was on, continued the last 3 miles to work, drove it home that night with the lights off and now it won't start. Dash lights etc come on but there's not enough juice to turn over. Battery terminals look good, no obvious fuses blown etc.

I'm guessing this is the alternator, I have it on the charger now and I'm about to go out and buy a multimeter, anything else I should look at before I plunk down for a (apparently $200) new 120 amp alternator?

Ok so here we are 3 months later, had the Alternator replaced. Known good alternator. Holds 13.55v rock steady under load (heated seats, heated steering wheel, brights, radio on). Battery holds a charge @ 12.8v at rest (engine off) so I am going to count it as good. It's 12 months old with only about 4000 miles on it, temperate climate, no hard winter.

The battery light was still on when I left the shop, but turned off for at least 10 seconds (:what:) but then has been off ever since except for once in the garage checking voltages.w=

So I figure that the battery still needs some juicing to get rid of the red battery light indicator. Drive it down the

1998 E39 528i, 166,000 miles. Alternator died one cold (15F) morning in December.

Replaced alternator, battery is good and holds charge. Red "danger battery" light is still on . Went around the block (1.1 miles) as a shakedown, turn on the headlights, *bing* left headlight goes out. Fifteen seconds later, *bing* right headlight goes out. Brights still work. Turn on the radio, HVAC display, HVAC button backlights go black, fan shuts off. Radio stays on. HVAC proceeds to turn off and on 2-3 times, cycling at a rate of about 10 seconds per. Decides to stay on.

Get back to the house, alternator still giving 13.55v under load, 14.6 at idle. Battery is 12.8v with car off.

What the hell?

What does the red battery light mean? Supposedly it means bad ground but obviously it's charging the battery. And somehow my headlights blew out, that would be a voltage spike(?) - the brights weren't on and the brights worked when I got back to the house. All the fuses in the trunk and glove box look A-OK.

At this point I am guessing that there is some sort of ground issue between the alternator and battery, but the volt meter tells me that is good. I've seen the light blink off for about 15 seconds twice so far. I'm open to any options. gently caress electrical gremelins.

edit: About a month before the alternator went out, my heater kept blowing even after I'd pulled the key out of the ignition. Apparently I need a 64116923204 final stage unit for my blower. It's apparently a common point of failure..

That doesn't explain the headlights but I'm guessing that's at least part of the problem. Curious to hear anything

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 20, 2014

doogle
May 24, 2003

GUYS DON'T PARK YOUR CAR OUTSIDE OF YOUR GARAGE OR THIS CAN HAPPEN:

The car that hit me while trying to drift through the parking lot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, that's going to be loving expensive to fix. Sorry man :(

doogle
May 24, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Welp, that's going to be loving expensive to fix. Sorry man :(

The worst part is they only had a v6 charger at the rental place.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

doogle posted:

I hope you strangled whoever this was.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

doogle posted:

If that's what he was doing I hope you filed charges.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
:stare: jesus loving christ that sucks dude

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Guys guys guys, you're being way too negative.

Now the MR2 guy's insurance gets to pay for a 1M conversion.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

raej posted:

While installing a JB4+ ECU, I opened the car door which apparently wakes up the ECU, which is a no-no when the ECU wires are not connected. This tripped the car to go into "Electrical malfunction" mode with the wipers going off and the engine not even trying to turn over.

Is there a way to reset the car to get out of this mode?

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery yet?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have the original installed alarm on my E36. With the roundish fob with two grey buttons on it.

Is it possible to program one of these keys to it? As far as I can tell it's an E36 key, and it has a little red light on it like the fobs do. I would prefer it be all in one key.

Just out of curiosity really.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

I have the original installed alarm on my E36. With the roundish fob with two grey buttons on it.

Is it possible to program one of these keys to it? As far as I can tell it's an E36 key, and it has a little red light on it like the fobs do. I would prefer it be all in one key.

Just out of curiosity really.

You'd have to gut one of the existing keys to get the EWS chip, not sure if that key would have a space for it or not.

Edit: you got me curious, apparently you can get an e46 style key that is compatible with the factory remote. https://www.unitedautosecurity.com model LX8FZV-10B. I'm interested now, I do hate the e36 separate alarm fob.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 20, 2014

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That seems to be a three button one. I can only assume that the trunk button would do nothing for me.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
GOD drat EWS ANTENNA RING

Among other codes, I am pulling the DME EWS code, even though the car would start. That's weird, it's not supposed to start when that code shows up. Today I found out why!

The car wouldn't start this morning. This isn't unusual, but I can jiggle the ignition and press on the top or bottom of the steering column, and it will usually start. Today that didn't help. In frustration, I ripped the covers off the column. I yanked the little bezel off the ignition. It had two wires coming out it it, and one of the wires was loose. I thought it was the beeper for when your key is in the ignition.

So after much fumbling around and cursing, I eventually went online and found that that bezel is the antenna that picks up when the key is in the ignition for the EWS system. I hooked it back up, secured the wires, and I was good to go. Car started first try.

I guess that one of the wires was loose, and pushing on the steering column would make contact. It also explains the EWS code showing up, yet the car still starting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

doogle posted:

That's a terrible thing for me to see as I just start to watch this thread. :( Looks like your front wheel rotated about 1/4 turn as it got pushed up onto the curb... that's probably not a good sign for your front end.

In other news, I just did my first oil change and the car's first rear diff oil change on my new 79k mile E39 2003 530i.

I had been looking for a 540i, preferably sport, preferably manual and ended up with this. Not what I would have spec'd, but I couldn't pass it up. I bought it from the original owner who was an engineer at the local Air Force base / military thingie. The car is exactly as you would expect an engineer to have it, except he didn't keep service records, instead he let the dealer keep those... so I'm having my dad get them from the dealer next week when he gets his E90 M3 serviced.

The car is unreasonably tight for 11 years old. He said it was 75% highway driving and I believe that. I drove it 100 miles home at about 75mph and the trip computer never changed the average speed reading of 50.5mph. That tells me a)that the average speed hadn't been reset in a long time and b) he kept it at a pretty high average speed.

Pics later, but it's a white 530i that looks like brand new. I'll need to change wheels, since it's got the stock 16"ers on there. I'll use those for Winter. I kinda want to use them, though, since they have brand new Michelin Pilots on them...

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

doogle posted:

Sup, car hit loving hard while parked buddy?

poo poo sucks. Sounds like yours turned out repairable, too? On the plus side, it gives you a drat good reason to take her to the track. It's not like the resale value's going to be where you wanted it to be anyway...

doogle
May 24, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Sup, car hit loving hard while parked buddy?

poo poo sucks. Sounds like yours turned out repairable, too? On the plus side, it gives you a drat good reason to take her to the track. It's not like the resale value's going to be where you wanted it to be anyway...

Yeah they are fixing it. The insurance estimate is $8900 using used parts, I'm insisting on new parts including new wheels as I do track the car and really don't want something to go wrong at 120+. I bought the car new, looks like I'll just keep it forever now.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's your right to take it to any shop you want. Don't be afraid to stand up to their insurance.

Take it to the dealer if you think they're the best guys in town, it's not your money and if they wanted a deal don't run into people's cars.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just wanna know what the hell you said to the guy who hit your car well drifting in a parking lot. I can't even imagine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Popete posted:

I just wanna know what the hell you said to the guy who hit your car well drifting in a parking lot. I can't even imagine...

"STOP HITTING YOURSELF, STOP HITTING YOURSELF, STOP HITTING YOURSELF"

This is why i fear buying nice things. I lose my poo poo when my beaters get doored. I couldn't imagine if it was something nice, and if it was serious damage.