Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Nice, thanks. I don't need the key but if someone ends up missing this I have an extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Thanks for this! I'm curious to see how the game feels after the mega-patch.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Keep on posting man. :thumbsup:

I think friends wanting to play with friends is a pretty loving huge market. Especially in these things called MMOs where you can have friends all over the world, who you know, want to play games together in this here year twenty fourteen.

You are arguing against points I didn't make, you loving retard.

RiffRoff posted:

It's better for the health of the game if you don't have region locked servers.

It certainly worked out horribly for wow.

Look, people: I'm not the one you need to convince. I don't work at carbine. I don't personally want you to suffer endless loneliness in an MMORPG because you can't play with your pals from across the pond. I'm just pointing out reasons why this limitation makes sense, and why wrt to the number of people who actually want this it may not be something they want to bother doing.

Evidently NC soft (the people who published a dozen of MMOs and who have statistics and market studies to back up their decisions instead of "everyone I know wants this") seem not to think it's worthwhile to bother with this either.

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

rap music posted:

Nice, thanks. I don't need the key but if someone ends up missing this I have an extra.

Facebook is blocked at work, mind throwing it my way? ghsweets8 @ gmail

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
Great, I have a key but NCSoft is just giving me a generic error when I try to make an account.

"There was an error creating your account. Please re-enter your account information."

Do I just keep trying to make an account, or could anyone tell me what is going wrong here? I previously had an NCSoft master account for City of Heroes, but I am apparently not allowed to use that.

EDIT: Nevermind, brute forcing it seemed to work.

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 18, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zlodo posted:

Evidently NC soft (the people who published a dozen of MMOs and who have statistics and market studies to back up their decisions instead of "everyone I know wants this") seem not to think it's worthwhile to bother with this either.

NC Soft's history of customer satisfaction with MMOs is pretty garbage.

They're the last authority I would ever want to appeal to.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can probably make this argument with almost every company that ever published a MMO. Except perhaps blizzard, and even then I'm sure I'm just opening another can of worms by saying that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

You are arguing against points I didn't make, you loving retard.

It certainly worked out horribly for wow.

Look, people: I'm not the one you need to convince. I don't work at carbine. I don't personally want you to suffer endless loneliness in an MMORPG because you can't play with your pals from across the pond. I'm just pointing out reasons why this limitation makes sense, and why wrt to the number of people who actually want this it may not be something they want to bother doing.

It's because you obviously don't understand what you're even arguing about, pal.

The only GOOD reason I can think of for region locking is to simply your company taxes, or having 3rd parties run your regional server offerings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zlodo posted:

I'm just pointing out reasons why this limitation makes sense, and why wrt to the number of people who actually want this it may not be something they want to bother doing.

Except it doesn't make sense, and you're not making sense. If you don't want to play on NA from EU or vice versa, because the ping is higher, then don't. Don't arbitrarily lock people out.

If there is a legal or similar coporate issue like Stanley Pain said that's different, but it also is equally nonsensical because basically every other MMO can do it.

Zlodo posted:

Oh my god are you actually implying that NCSoft both knows what they're doing AND cares about customers? Have I crossed some sort of supernatural barrier?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Stanley Pain posted:

It's because you obviously don't understand what you're even arguing about, pal.

The only GOOD reason I can think of for region locking is to simply your company taxes, or having 3rd parties run your regional server offerings.

Legal reasons, consolidation reasons, performance reasons (both ISP and server load distribution), pricing reasons.

There's a lot of reasons. Most of them are terrible for the consumer, but the pros for the company outweigh the cons for the consumer in most of these cases in terms of what they gain and what they lose in player dissatisfaction. They're not good reasons to you, but they are good reasons, and don't just benefit NCSoft, they benefit Carbine as well.

Asking you guys to empathize with NCSoft might uh, not be right, but they're not doing it because they hate you and want all your money, they just specifically want all your money.

Edit: Just to specificy:

The EU has different censorship and consumer laws, which may require different clients. Things like this pop up the most specifically with countires like Germany and China (China's censorship forbid skeletons or showing skeletons is so offensive that showing skeletons is nuts). China isn't the EU but this is probably the easiest example ever. The EU has weird stuff with payments that are different, or something too. You can pay with cell phones and junk. Not sure if that changes anything tho.

Consolidation prevents the ship jumping issue, where if one region has more players, more people are more likely to jump to that area. This is a snowballing effect that happens until performance issues arise, and then it still happens because no one wants to go to the "dead/less populated" area. This is basically dead server phenomena experienced on a regional level. If Poland and Ireland had different servers, for example, no one would play on them because they'd all jump to like, Germany and Britain or whatever. Forcing players to play in a certain place by force lessens this issue, and it's an easier pill to swallow on a regional basis than a server choice one.

Performance issues of more people playing in the US servers than there are US copies sold is a pain in the butt. It becomes harder to predict who is gonna play where and how to distribute your servers properly. This has the huge HUGE problem of people in Europe, if they have connection issues, having to deal with US support, who is far less equipped to deal with say, an Irish ISP than Comcast or something if there's a routing issue. Never mind the language barrier (Europe support might not be able to handle support issues on a US server, so if you speak a different language sort of, and play on the US server for some reason, oops, can't get support in your native language).

Pricing reasons: NCSoft wants more money and this makes it easier for them to charge you more money because you live in the country of Terribleeconomyopia.

So yeah, it stinks for the consumer, but there's tangible benefits for NCSoft that are probably invisible to most players. There's probably more things I'm forgetting, and some of these are minor bulletpoints to be fair. I'm pretty sure legal reasons are the big one, though?

anime was right fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 18, 2014

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I hope the new UI is as elegant as the new website

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I hope the new UI is as elegant as the new website

The new UI is pretty snazzy: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_ui_20_preview_less_is_more.php/

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Tell me how when I said "I think that cross region gameplay is probably not really something that is actually in such a high demand", I misunderstood my own sentence and it actually meant "I think people don't want to play MMOs with their friends".

For the vast majority of people, said friends will be roughly in the same timezone (and definitely not across the ocean) because they're not unemployed sockpoopers who regularly play MMOs at 9am.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The thing is that outside of shafting europe with higher prices and fearing they'd buy us accounts to play over there, there isn't a valid reason to segregate people. Its not really costing ANet anything other than missed sales from people that would buy and sub both versions just to play in both regions.

The amount of people jumping from one cluster to the other would be so small that any effects on load will be imperceptible. There aren't any legal reasons to take into consideration when you already have the two farms working and all it takes is for people to access them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zlodo posted:

Tell me how when I said "I think that cross region gameplay is probably not really something that is actually in such a high demand", I misunderstood my own sentence and it actually meant "I think people don't want to play MMOs with their friends".

For the vast majority of people, said friends will be roughly in the same timezone (and definitely not across the ocean) because they're not unemployed sockpoopers who regularly play MMOs at 9am.

I heard that saying anecdotal evidence as though it were real actually makes it real.

Also what you're not grasping is that we aren't arguing that having servers in different locations is bad. What's bad is limiting consumer choice in which server they want to play on. Every argument for region locking has to do with making it better for the company, not for the consumer, because the consumer can actually choose to region lock themselves if they want to. Consumer choice is what's really at issue when you talk about region locking.

Anecdotally(:derp:), I won't be getting wildstar if they region lock because one (1) of my friends wouldn't be able to play with me if they do, and that's enough to make me not support the game. I can play any of a hundred other games with that friend because the rest of the industry figured out that region locking isn't worth the loss in custom from having a larger player population.

Also region locking is good for consumers because Arus' bulk can only sink one server instead of the entire world's server.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Aside from the merits/demerits of region locking, does it even matter? I mean, I agree that it seems dumb from a user standpoint (let anyone play on any server, but coax them into their region's so they only end up elsewhere if they want to), but seems trivially easy to buy a key from another region (assuming they don't actually try to enforce region rigidity, does anyone?). The only people who really seem affected is if they wanted to play both with regional and non-regional friends so they'd have to buy two copies and pay two monthly fees to do so.

Zlodo posted:

Surely no one anywhere in the world has ever held a job that wasn't 9-5 so it was actually more convenient to play games with people elsewhere in the world due to their schedule.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zlodo posted:

You're an idiot, tons of people have jobs that aren't 9-5, I used to work graveyards and had "dumb" playing hours like this. Not to mention there are MANY timezones in the world but I feel like I shouldn't even need to tell you this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I tend to play MMOs with a bro of mine who lives in Scotland (I'm in the US), so region locking is a huge pain in our rear end and might just motivate us to go play some Civ 5 or Age of Wonders 3 or Diablo 3 instead :shrug:

Region locking sucks.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Bauxite posted:

Also what you're not grasping is that we aren't arguing that having servers in different locations is bad. What's bad is limiting consumer choice in which server they want to play on. Every argument for region locking has to do with making it better for the company, not for the consumer, because the consumer can actually choose to region lock themselves if they want to. Consumer choice is what's really at issue when you talk about region locking.

But the assumption that it would have only positive and no negative consequences for consumers is wrong, because they can make a wrong choice. It's pretty bad to let customers do something that can screw their experience.

As another example since that latency apparently doesn't exist anymore in 2014 (I'll have to tell this to the people who work on the online parts of our game because they'll be loving happy to hear about it), what about people who go to a US server to play with some friends, who then stop playing? Now they are stuck on a server where most people play at an inconvenient timezone for them and they're demanding the possibility to transfer their character to an EU server, but that service wasn't implemented yet because it is much more complicated than it sounds. Oops. You let customers make the wrong choice and you don't have any way to fix it for them.

What about someone who would simply mistakenly choose a server from the wrong region, and not noticing because they started playing during week-ends or at the start of the game where it is packed with players all day? As a player it's easy to say that such a person would be an idiot so who care anyway, but when you're making a game you have to care about all of the idiots.

Ultimately companies go with the solution that is less likely to cause issues. If their studies said "our game will crash and burn if we don't do this because a significant amount of people won't play our game if we don't", sure. But given that WoW doesn't do this there is probably no evidence to support that.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're an idiot, tons of people have jobs that aren't 9-5, I used to work graveyards and had "dumb" playing hours like this. Not to mention there are MANY timezones in the world but I feel like I shouldn't even need to tell you this.

I've worked graveyards for years and I'm only able to play MMOs in the morning and early afternoon west coast time due to my schedule. This is why games like EVE were awesome, I'd play with Euros during Euro prime, which was right in that time range. The decision I'll have to make is whether to play on an American server which might become a ghost town during hours I play, or opt for the Euro server in order to have people to play with, but have higher latency and not be able to play with the main goon guild.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Zlodo, the only benefit to subtracting the ease of choosing where you play only really shows if Carbine/NC don't have their crap together. Region locking makes it much easier for Carbine/NC to have their crap together, sure, but in an ideal world, the consumer is better off because NC/Carbine allow the choice and deal with the problems associated with it. Carbine/NC went this this route because I'm assuming the pros outway the cons of making the playerbase angry here. They'd rather have a product that's easier to get functional and make more money, and the dudes that can't play with their friends on the US servers, NC/Carbine are saying: Wehhh, get over it. We're gonna make more money and/or make you less mad doing this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So what I've taken from this thread is that there is literally no actual reason to restrict where someone plays except for if you are a really angry person who likes to argue on comedy video game forum topics.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Eonwe posted:

So what I've taken from this thread is that there is literally no actual reason to restrict where someone plays except for if you are a really angry person who likes to argue on comedy video game forum topics.

Can we get a mod in here? We got a real yucklehead trying to poop up r/GameReviews.

Edit: profanity

I'm really looking forward to accelerated releases of builds, because my uncle said that's why we can only play on the weekends.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 19, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yet they are a very successful business that continues to sell some of the best games and subscriptions. :iiam:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Extra posted:

Yet they are a very successful business that continues to sell some of the best games and subscriptions. :iiam:

Not a mystery, its exclusively because of the korean market. The amount of money they get from the west is pitiable compared to what they get over there and as such they treat their western offerings like poo poo.

e-For reference, Lineage 1, a game that NCsoft closed down in the west years ago is still the most played MMO in korea and 3rd or 4th most played game in general. The second most popular MMO is Aion, where it takes like a year for content patches to get here. The third MMO is Blade and Soul, a game that they still haven't released over here.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 19, 2014

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

3 screenshots does not a UI make

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Don't mess with your Facebook just go here http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/504/Beta-Weekend-Key-Handout.html

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Extra posted:

Primarily by the strength of the Korean market who, frankly, have awful tastes and are comfortable being treated like poo poo in games like Stockholm Syndrome: The Game (known in western markets as Lineage 2).

As a western customer I've yet to find cause to say a single positive word about how NC Soft conducts business over here.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 19, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It's really hard to justify trading not playing with your friends for 100 less latency. It's an incomparable set of choices.

I'm not exactly sure why you're not getting this.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Hey let's sperg over The Mystery portion of the Wildstar website to solve the puzzle, instead of bantering about region-lock!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So those of you in the beta, do you run into the green dudes that remind me of like used cars salesmen? I love them already but I dunno if you actually get to encounter them throughout Nexus or if they're just for the housing

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Macaluso posted:

So those of you in the beta, do you run into the green dudes that remind me of like used cars salesmen? I love them already but I dunno if you actually get to encounter them throughout Nexus or if they're just for the housing

Yes, quite a bit.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah they're Protostar salesmen, and they're all over the place.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Awesome! Do you get like actual lore/backstory about them cause it's funny to me that a big proud group like the Dominion has to pay these salesman for housing and such

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I really wanted to give this game a try, but they still haven't given me a beta key.
The developers love sending me links of all the cool poo poo other people are doing in this game though.

"But Team Wildstar, what is and adventure?"
"An adventure is all the stuff that you can't do, because we still haven't given you a beta key! AHAHAHAHAHA!"

Jerks.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
Why don't you just grab a key from either of those 2 links posted earlier?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Macaluso posted:

Awesome! Do you get like actual lore/backstory about them cause it's funny to me that a big proud group like the Dominion has to pay these salesman for housing and such

Not a whole lot of backstory, but their quests have a lot of personality, and I like them.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kaddion posted:

Why don't you just grab a key from either of those 2 links posted earlier?

Thanks, that's what I miss out on for not reading through the thread I guess.
What's the verdict so far, and are there SEA/Aus servers at all?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

HiveCommander posted:

What's the verdict so far, and are there SEA/Aus servers at all?
Haha of course not. I wonder if we fall under the US or EU fascist region locking regime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

comatose posted:

Haha of course not. I wonder if we fall under the US or EU fascist region locking regime.

I bet they make it EU so you get a 4-500 ping instead of a 120-200 ping.

• Locked thread