Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ok, 5 days later, and I'm finally able to take off the ACE Bandage. This is what it looks like.

Linked for the feint of heart.

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/Q9D8MJD.jpg:nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Soulex posted:

Ok, 5 days later, and I'm finally able to take off the ACE Bandage. This is what it looks like.

Linked for the feint of heart.

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/Q9D8MJD.jpg:nms:

That's a hefty loving scar mate. Badass.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Looks like bacon tbh

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

angry armadillo posted:

Also someone mentioned off centre posts - always always scratch out where your posts are with your studs in the turf/astro pellets, then you can know where your posts are without turning around. Just a suggestion if you hadn't heard of the tip...

Do try and be subtle so the ref doesn't come and yell at you, though ;)... It's very useful to have awareness of where you are in the goal; there's plenty of drills to let you get better at knowing where you are relative to the posts, so you should know with little more than a quick glance at any time where you are and what the angles are. Most of the time it should be fairly unconscious, although it's never fun on the rare occasion where you lose yourself completely and just back up praying that you're not off to one side (at least noticeably)...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's a hefty loving scar mate. Badass.

I will now have scars on my left forearm, right leg (foreleg?), left leg (again, foreleg?). All that's left is a tragic accident for my right forearm to be matching.

And like Bacon? Dude, you need to switch brands.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Haven't played in like 10 years but a bunch of work friends decided to play in an upcoming indoor league and I just realized I have no idea where my cleats are. I have never played in an indoor league that used field-turf and allowed outdoor cleats.

What type of cleats should I be using? Should I be using plastic cleats or Rubber? Also I have kind of a wide foot and I know most footwear for soccer is narrow which kinda sucks.

I was thinking either these: Nike Men's Mercurial Veloce AG Soccer Cleat

Or these: Nike Men's Mercurial Veloce FG Soccer Cleat

Are they both complete poo poo?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

fyallm posted:

Haven't played in like 10 years but a bunch of work friends decided to play in an upcoming indoor league and I just realized I have no idea where my cleats are. I have never played in an indoor league that used field-turf and allowed outdoor cleats.

What type of cleats should I be using? Should I be using plastic cleats or Rubber? Also I have kind of a wide foot and I know most footwear for soccer is narrow which kinda sucks.

I was thinking either these: Nike Men's Mercurial Veloce AG Soccer Cleat

Or these: Nike Men's Mercurial Veloce FG Soccer Cleat

Are they both complete poo poo?

Field turf is a personal preference kind of thing in regard to stud pattern.

If you haven't played in a long time I'd probably recommend either the AG which are designed for field turf or actual turf cleats just from a comfort perspective. You're not going to have any of the callouses you'd have from playing consistently so you're probably going to wreck your feet.

I play on field turf in regular FG cleats but ones with rounded studs, not blades like the ones on the second pair you listed. I found the bladed cleats to be too grippy on field turf and cause me to catch my feet in the ground from time to time which never feels good.

Both of the cleats you listed are mid-range cleats from the Nike Mercurial line so the quality of both materials and build won't be the same as the higher end cleat. Synthetic will last longer on field turf than leather but I've always preferred leather cleats. Shop around and most importantly try them on before you buy them, that can't be stressed enough. I've had cleats that I bought sight-unseen that drat near crippled me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Shrapnig posted:

Field turf is a personal preference kind of thing in regard to stud pattern.

If you haven't played in a long time I'd probably recommend either the AG which are designed for field turf or actual turf cleats just from a comfort perspective. You're not going to have any of the callouses you'd have from playing consistently so you're probably going to wreck your feet.

I play on field turf in regular FG cleats but ones with rounded studs, not blades like the ones on the second pair you listed. I found the bladed cleats to be too grippy on field turf and cause me to catch my feet in the ground from time to time which never feels good.

Both of the cleats you listed are mid-range cleats from the Nike Mercurial line so the quality of both materials and build won't be the same as the higher end cleat. Synthetic will last longer on field turf than leather but I've always preferred leather cleats. Shop around and most importantly try them on before you buy them, that can't be stressed enough. I've had cleats that I bought sight-unseen that drat near crippled me.

I agree with all this but to emphasize that the turf shoe will definitely be easier on your foot that hasn't been accustomed to wearing cleats for 10 years. One of my daughters wears turf shoes almost all the time because she has flat feet and they are much easier on her feet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The role of "this boot is for this role" boots is bullshit. Really, it's finding what you are comfortable with.

I play as defense, and one of the best boots I've worn was a mercurial. I would REALLY suggest going to a sports store and trying on boots before buying them, even if you do it online. Some boots fit different than others, and that is a big deciding factor for me (I have wide feet).

For indoor, I use Adidas F-50. Outdoors it's up to the pitch. Dry is my CTR 360, and wet is my Mercurial SG boots.

Make sure to give "lesser" known brands a try as well. People scoff at Mizuno and Puma, but they put out some quality. Remember that the boot isn't going to magically make you a better player, so getting the mid grade tier is fine. Spending 200 bucks on boots isn't worth it if you don't have the skill or quality to need the super special outcropping/lethal zones etc.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Shrapnig posted:

I have been running 5k's 3 times a week for about a month and a half now so I'm not a total fatty. I did like the AG cleats a little better so that's good news.

quote:

What about these? Are these lower end? Nike Men's Tiempo Mystic IV AG Soccer Cleat

And yeah I plan on going into Dick's and testing them out. Do you know of any wider shoes?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nike's seem to fit wider than Adidas from my experience.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Soulex posted:

I agree with this, and I'd also like to add that Pumas fit narrower than anything in existence.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Soulex posted:

The role of "this boot is for this role" boots is bullshit. Really, it's finding what you are comfortable with.

I play as defense, and one of the best boots I've worn was a mercurial. I would REALLY suggest going to a sports store and trying on boots before buying them, even if you do it online. Some boots fit different than others, and that is a big deciding factor for me (I have wide feet).

Yeah I will be playing defense as well probably just cause I use to primarily play RFB, and I will definetly be going to both dick's to try on some along with a Nike Outlet store we have around here.

quote:

For indoor, I use Adidas F-50. Outdoors it's up to the pitch. Dry is my CTR 360, and wet is my Mercurial SG boots.

I will definitely take a look at the adidas 5-50 and I get what the other posted said about the bladed cleats vs. the rounded ones.

quote:

Make sure to give "lesser" known brands a try as well. People scoff at Mizuno and Puma, but they put out some quality. Remember that the boot isn't going to magically make you a better player, so getting the mid grade tier is fine. Spending 200 bucks on boots isn't worth it if you don't have the skill or quality to need the super special outcropping/lethal zones etc.

Yeah I liked the nicer Mercurial but don't want to drop the amount of bones of them.

quote:

Thanks!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

Mizuno are nearly impossible to find in the US, I order mine from the UK.

I disagree about price point = skill. Buy what you're comfortable with, be it cheap or expensive, if it's what you like and can afford. Granted most of the stuff like "lethal zones" or whatever is marketing bullshit.

fyallm posted:

I have been running 5k's 3 times a week for about a month and a half now so I'm not a total fatty. I did like the AG cleats a little better so that's good news.

What about these? Are these lower end? Nike Men's Tiempo Mystic IV AG Soccer Cleat

And yeah I plan on going into Dick's and testing them out. Do you know of any wider shoes?

Generally any boot that's under $120 isn't going to be the high end of the range which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but even Copas are $150 now. There are a lot of new boots being released around now because of the World Cup so you may be able to snag a higher quality boot online on sale for what you'd pay for the mid-range in a brick and mortar store.

Honestly the most important thing is how they feel on your feet, be they $50 or $250, leather, synthetic, mesh, what have you.

The boots you posted are the 3rd level of the Tiempo range. They're listed as leather, the next level up is calf leather, and then the highest price point Legends are kangaroo leather. That's also the previous generation of the boot. The new ones retail for even more( Mystic $75, Legacy $100, Legend IV $150, Legend V $200)

Go on a website like soccer.com and put in "Nike Tiempo" or "Nike Mercurial" and you'll get to see the full ranges.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Mizuno are nearly impossible to find in the US, I order mine from the UK.

I disagree about price point = skill. Buy what you're comfortable with, be it cheap or expensive, if it's what you like and can afford. Granted most of the stuff like "lethal zones" or whatever is marketing bullshit.

That's what I was trying to convey, but it probably came out wrong. I bought my CTR 360 Maestri's thinking they would make me a better footballer, when I found out they didn't.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Soulex posted:

That's what I was trying to convey, but it probably came out wrong. I bought my CTR 360 Maestri's thinking they would make me a better footballer, when I found out they didn't.

Well yeah, buying boots because you think they'll make you better is a bit silly.

Paying more for boots that are better constructed, fit better, and therefore are more comfortable could though.

Also, fyallm check out Asics boots. I've never worn them but from what I understand they're built to fit and feel like running shoes. There are also a couple styles on sale on soccer.com right now for like 50% off so they're only around $80. Your only issue would potentially be finding somewhere to try them on first.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Well yeah, buying boots because you think they'll make you better is a bit silly.

Paying more for boots that are better constructed, fit better, and therefore are more comfortable could though.

Also, fyallm check out Asics boots. I've never worn them but from what I understand they're built to fit and feel like running shoes. There are also a couple styles on sale on soccer.com right now for like 50% off so they're only around $80. Your only issue would potentially be finding somewhere to try them on first.

To be fair, I was new at the game and fell into the whole "this boot is for attacking/defense/etc" scheme. Took me some time, and effort to figure out it was bullshit.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
£25 for a lovely pair of trainers 3 years ago and I'm still using them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Buying better cleats made me a better player.........
I had walmart generic cleats growing up.

Weak skinny legged people like me would benefit from the lightest cleats you can afford.
For me these are the only factors that noticably affect me...
Am I slipping? Are they too heavy? Does the material/design/toe-room absorb the force of my kicks?
I prefer hard ground cleats because the fields I normally play on are terrible deadgrass wastelands. I like having a hard ground cleat and a soft ground cleat, but I get so comfortable using a hard ground cleat I usually end up using it in the mud as well.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 18, 2014

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I always enjoyed the terrible gimmicks some manufacturers put into their boots. Like the Concave helping you shoot with more power or those Lotto shoes with the rotating stud that helped pivoting/turning. These guys come up with the dumbest poo poo and yet they still make a profit.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I don't know new boots seem to give me some sort of placebo effect. I always play better when I get new equipment or at least I think I am playing better which leads me to play more confidently.

Fitting makes a huge difference for me personally if the boots don't fit it's always on the back of my mind and it just irritates me.

I am contemplating making the switch to Addidas cleats because Nike has taken about 4 months to send me replacement cleats for my faulty hyper-venoms.

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods
When buying boots I try and find the lightest possible. That and having them fit like a glove are the only things I find important. Reminds me that I need to buy new boots soon as the ones I have now are about to tear apart. Any recommendations for something light and made of real leather? Don't care for how the touch of synthetic feels on the ball.

Hoping my offense performance in my most recent game makes our team manager realize I could be more useful playing as a box to box midfielder instead of stopper or defensive midfielder. We won a freekick just outside the box and far on the left, lined up basically the same as we do on corners. Another player won the header far post about 12 yards out, heading the ball back across to where I was on the PK spot. Latched onto to it with a perfect sidevolley and sent it whistling six inches past the the wrong side of the post, doh. Incredibly satisfying to have players from the OTHER team come up to me immediately afterwards to tell me what a nice shot it was :D Not bad for someone who has played mostly defence for his whole life!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

As bad as the companies are with stupid gimmicky bullshit, don't forget that golf had the same thing happen to them a few years back. A revolutionary zero-MOI putter that changed the face of the game. But the person who invented it didn't have a face. She preferred to focus on the science of the putter and not the scientist.

Then people found out everything about her, her story, her history, and her actual gender was a lie.

This didn't stop pros from raving about how good it was while the hype was going on.

God bless you Gary McCord. You are a great human being, but you're a loving idiot.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Voted Alligator posted:

When buying boots I try and find the lightest possible. That and having them fit like a glove are the only things I find important. Reminds me that I need to buy new boots soon as the ones I have now are about to tear apart. Any recommendations for something light and made of real leather? Don't care for how the touch of synthetic feels on the ball.

Come join me, Shrapnac, on the Mizuno Morelia Neo train.

Kangaroo leather, weigh 170g. $200USD/£130 so a bit pricey.

Not sure where you live but they're widely available in not-America.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

iajanus posted:

Do try and be subtle so the ref doesn't come and yell at you, though ;)... It's very useful to have awareness of where you are in the goal; there's plenty of drills to let you get better at knowing where you are relative to the posts, so you should know with little more than a quick glance at any time where you are and what the angles are. Most of the time it should be fairly unconscious, although it's never fun on the rare occasion where you lose yourself completely and just back up praying that you're not off to one side (at least noticeably)...

I've never been picked up on it - I didn't know you aren't supposed to do, I was taught to do it when I was like 8 and always have done!

Strange !

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

angry armadillo posted:

I've never been picked up on it - I didn't know you aren't supposed to do, I was taught to do it when I was like 8 and always have done!

Strange !

Oh we all do it, just don't let the refs see as they (theoretically) should stop you from damaging the pitch (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/mar/17/youaretheref-steven-gerrard Q2 has more info). A lot of them don't care and I'm not sure about the actual legalities but I'm pretty sure it's not on.

I'll still be doing it on Sunday in our trial game, though :getin:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

iajanus posted:

Oh we all do it, just don't let the refs see as they (theoretically) should stop you from damaging the pitch (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/mar/17/youaretheref-steven-gerrard Q2 has more info). A lot of them don't care and I'm not sure about the actual legalities but I'm pretty sure it's not on.

That first question is suitably ridiculous for YATR, but I'm wondering how the goalie's marks are "denying goalscoring chances"?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Captain Trips posted:

That first question is suitably ridiculous for YATR, but I'm wondering how the goalie's marks are "denying goalscoring chances"?

Depends how much you hack up the grass or create divots, I guess.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I wore my Copas on field turf for the first time last night and caught my plant foot in the ground a couple of times. Never had that problem with my bladed Adipures. :iiam:

And you're definitely right about it not feeling good. I'm gimping around today.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Come join me, Shrapnac, on the Mizuno Morelia Neo train.

Kangaroo leather, weigh 170g. $200USD/£130 so a bit pricey.

Not sure where you live but they're widely available in not-America.

I probably won't need new outdoor boots for a while (don't laugh, but I got Warrior Skreamers that fit really comfortably and well--I put this down to them being based off lasts their sister company New Balance uses for track spikes, which I always liked when I ran track in HS), but when I do I just noticed Mizuno has started selling their boots in the US direct through their own company site.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 20, 2014

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

E: quote=/edit

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

I probably won't need new outdoor boots for a while (don't laugh, but I got Warrior Skreamers that fit really comfortably and well--I put this down to them being based off lasts their sister company New Balance uses for track spikes, which I always liked when I ran track in HS), but when I do I just noticed Mizuno has started selling their boots in the US direct through their own company site.

It's actually cheaper to buy Mizuno from overseas and have them shipped to the US.

I use prodirectsoccer.com to order my boots(make sure you stay on the UK site not the US one which I'm pretty sure is just Eurosport)

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

iajanus posted:

Interpretation of the Laws of the Game and Guidelines for Referees posted:

If a player makes unauthorised marks on the field of play with his foot, he must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. If the referee notices this being done during the match, he must caution the offending player for unsporting behaviour when the ball next goes out of play.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

See now you're just doing the work I was too lazy to do (I'll pretend it's because I am at work, but it's really that I couldn't be arsed thinking what words to google) :colbert:

Thought it must be in there somewhere.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

We got a new ball today for the office team, futsal sized brazuca

Pretty nice, way better than the worn down cheapo poo poo they usually have at the pitches. Nice flight but at the same time not too light, I felt that using it we all looked better while shooting and doing long passes.

Tournament starts on saturday and I feel we have a decent team but no idea about the rest so kinda nervous at this point.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 30 years old and ever I since I had to buy my own boots I have never bought anything over €50. I play 11 a side every sunday with these boots, and it is my firm believe that every boot over €50 is marketing nonsense that will not affect your play in the slightest.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I subbed in goal for the team of a friend of a friend tonight. I didn't know anyone, and I was the only white guy on either team. You hear some fun things when people don't think you speak Spanish.

I also managed to keep a clean sheet. Feels good to have shaken the rust off.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

We won our first match 8-1

Had some nice saves so pretty happy about it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

So now that my ice hockey refereeing commitments have dialed down for the year I've been able to join a Monday team that needed an actual goalkeeper in a quite competitive mixed league (special rules: no more than 2 men in the offensive third at any time, all offensive free-kicks to be taken by women, no goals can be scored unless a woman has a touch in the offensive third). We played our first game last night and drew 6-6, and all told I think I had a decent game: made a few good saves late and let in a legit howler after some poor distribution, but considering the team we were playing against had several players of both genders that played high-level college soccer I think it was a good result.

Plus, the other team were assholes (one girl got a blue card, which is like a 2-minute minor in hockey, for slide-tackling one of our girls when she was trying to set up, and a guy got booked for telling the ref to gently caress off after a dispute over the size of a wall), so it was a bit of a moral victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
How are there so many goalies in this thread?