Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EoinCannon posted:

I tend to find that no matter how weird a UI is, if I have to use it in production it becomes second nature pretty quickly then I don't think about it any more.

8 hours a day and no ability to slack off does that. Ive given up on trying to learn new software in my spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
So reading the last page it sounds like I'd rather be using Maya than 3DS for hobbyist games type stuff. Is there that big of a difference?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Jewel posted:

Although I remember my first time in ZBrush. Document->Save, Quit, Return later, "How do I edit it again?". Turns out Document->Save saves the.. document. The flat 2D canvas. And not the document as in the file itself like every other program in existence :v:

I went from Zbrush to Mudbox only to go back to Zbrush because it does so much more, but that is one thing that I still wish they would change. I think so many more use it for sculpting than sending out 2D images that the default save should be for the tool and there should be a separate, harder to find save button for the canvas.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

The Royal Scrub posted:

So reading the last page it sounds like I'd rather be using Maya than 3DS for hobbyist games type stuff. Is there that big of a difference?
No, in reality both programs can pretty much do the same things, just in slightly different ways. Most of it purely comes down to preference, so if you're just starting out, give both of them a try and see for yourself.

Most of the bitching you hear are from people such as myself that have switched over from one to the other, only to find that similarities only count for so much, and that small workflow differences tend to pile up bigtime if you've been used to doing it some other way for years. There are things in each program that are, in actuality, glaring problems that veterans will work around and then forget about because they are so used to sidestepping the problem.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

What's the "best" retopo software for a hobbyist? I'm using Blender right now, but it's driving me crazy sometimes. I'm looking at TopoGun and 3DCoat, as both are within my budget. Is there anything else in the same price range to try?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jewel posted:

A thing I've recommended to people struggling with ZBrush's UI is: Try not to get overwhelmed because when you're starting you basically just need the brush, the camera movement tools, the mirror controls, and the subdivision/dynamesh dropdown. Ignore the millions of other dropdowns and tools until you're more comfortable.

Although I remember my first time in ZBrush. Document->Save, Quit, Return later, "How do I edit it again?". Turns out Document->Save saves the.. document. The flat 2D canvas. And not the document as in the file itself like every other program in existence :v:

My understanding is that zbrush's interface is so :downs: because it was designed as a 2.5d illustration tool. It sort of accidentally became the most popular sculpting software in the world and they have been amazingly stubborn about actually making their package more conventional.

"We are the best why should we change?"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Does anyone have any good resources or tips for how to match the color and lighting of a CG character with live action? I've got an HDRI that takes care of most of the lighting, but I need to do fine tuning in the compositing stage.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

mashed_penguin posted:

"We are the best why should we change?"

I don't think it's a cocky attitude that keeps them from changing their UI now. They're kinda stuck with it, because if they revamp completely, it screws the userbase. No one wants to spend time relearning where all the tools are. Microsoft hosed up a lot of users when they introduced the ribbon; even though I like the ribbon and find it helpful that all the tools for one particular task are grouped somewhat logically, it was a lovely couple months finding all my tools again.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They also seem to be very slow in making it 64bit compatible for some reason, so much ram we could be using for more polygons ffs.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What's weird is Zbrush seems to be one of the more progressive programs. Every update there's some mindblowingly amazing new method to do stuff. Mudbox/Max/Maya seems to update maybe a brush preset each year and still charge thousands of dollars.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, pay once and get updates for free forever. I can live with that.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have something weird going on with my render (3ds max & vray). I'm trying to render an animation (a simple fly-through), the timeline is set to frame 0, the render settings are set to render from frame 0, and yet it's still rendering from what's clearly a later point in the timeline. What could be happening here?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ervin K posted:

I have something weird going on with my render (3ds max & vray). I'm trying to render an animation (a simple fly-through), the timeline is set to frame 0, the render settings are set to render from frame 0, and yet it's still rendering from what's clearly a later point in the timeline. What could be happening here?

You may have a weird keyframe set one frame before your camera animation starts.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

HardCoil posted:

What's the "best" retopo software for a hobbyist? I'm using Blender right now, but it's driving me crazy sometimes. I'm looking at TopoGun and 3DCoat, as both are within my budget. Is there anything else in the same price range to try?

I'd stick with either of those.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Combined with it's polypaint tools, 3DCoat was the best software purchase I've ever made.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I've taken people's advice and have done my best to use it in working on this chimp.
His mouth no longer terminates into a singular point of tris and I have tried desperately to improve edgeflow.
I'm in the process of working on the toes and feet right now, and tomorrow I'm going to work on the arms.

I've had to make the model a lot more complex and I get the feeling that it's too complex, but I don't really know? It subdivides fairly well, and it's the subdivision of around 20,000 polys that I want to UV and use as the basemesh for Zbrush.

Anyways:

The funny business around the corner of the mouth is because it's showing the very beginning of the mouthpocket I started. Trust me though it's pretty clean around there and is all quads. :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -- even if it's to tell me that it's garbage (but I really hope it isn't.)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uglynoodles posted:

I've taken people's advice and have done my best to use it in working on this chimp.
His mouth no longer terminates into a singular point of tris and I have tried desperately to improve edgeflow.
I'm in the process of working on the toes and feet right now, and tomorrow I'm going to work on the arms.

I've had to make the model a lot more complex and I get the feeling that it's too complex, but I don't really know? It subdivides fairly well, and it's the subdivision of around 20,000 polys that I want to UV and use as the basemesh for Zbrush.

Anyways:

The funny business around the corner of the mouth is because it's showing the very beginning of the mouthpocket I started. Trust me though it's pretty clean around there and is all quads. :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -- even if it's to tell me that it's garbage (but I really hope it isn't.)

I'd fix that banding in Cinema4D by adjusting the phong angle which is harden soften edge in Maya. Or something like that. It might be a sign that you're bending a polygon in a way that isn't possible though, so try pulling and pushing vertices a bit to see if you can fix it that way.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 13, 2014

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Hmm, okay. All the normals are facing the right way (back face culling is on) and currently all the edges in the model are set to soft. Moving the verts around doesn't seem to fix these weird banding issues. Maybe its a display setting...? Thanks for trying to help me puzzle this out!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

They also seem to be very slow in making it 64bit compatible for some reason, so much ram we could be using for more polygons ffs.

Zbrush isn't 64 bit yet ? :cripes:

That shows how out of touch I am with sculpting apps these days. I would like to get back into that side of things more but I find it impossible to do more CG at home after doing it all day at work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zbrush kicked over their forums and it looks really nice now.

Also holy gently caress at this madman sculpting this poo poo with zspheres to start with. :v:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

SynthOrange posted:

Zbrush kicked over their forums and it looks really nice now.

Also holy gently caress at this madman sculpting this poo poo with zspheres to start with. :v:

I . . . uh . . .retopologized with what? Zremesher? Qremesher? Zspheres?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like a combination of Zremesher, slices and edgeloops.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

uglynoodles posted:

Anyways:

Spread out the edge loops and try to get your quads as evenly sized and square as possible. With really dense stuff like the corners of the mouth you can try selecting all the vertices in that area, going into the sculpt polygon tool options, and spamming the poo poo out of the flood button with either the relax or smooth setting selected. Then pull them out a bit because that's going to mess with the shape. If the banding persists after all of that, set normals to face and then average normals.

Sannith
Feb 13, 2012

Recently I've started to get pretty heavily into rigging and scripting in Maya, and I've been looking to learn more. I looked at the OP, and it has a recommended book, though the OP is from 2008 and I would guess the book is outdated by now.

Does anyone know about some good materials for getting better at rigging?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Combined with it's polypaint tools, 3DCoat was the best software purchase I've ever made.

Is the painting part that much better than Zbrush?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
3DCoat does painting per-pixel instead of per-vertex like ZBrush. So you can paint directly on your texture maps that you bake or make from whatever program. Also you're not limited to how dense your mesh is to get detailed painting, it relies on your texture map resolution instead.

I also occasionally use 3DCoat's uv tools, they're pretty handy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, the per-pixel difference is huge. It makes a big difference for low-poly, handpainted stuff since you can paint across seams and you don't have to water time on a high - res basemesh if you don't want to.

I've also only every heard good things about their UV tools too.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So, thanks to the Maya/Max discussion we were having the other week, I decided to do something about it and started making a list of Maya-centric things that are either misbehaving or that I would like to see change in a future release so that we can submit it to our Autodesk rep.

After a week... I'm at 4 pages. Ugh. :( On one hand I feel relieved to be making a record of the stuff so that I don't find sloppy workarounds and forget about it forever, but on the other hand, it's making me really miss my native program and realize how dissatisfied I am still with the new one. Double-edged sword and somesuch.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Latest render:

Imgur compression poops on everything. And we need to bring our people library in the 21st century.

Also, that Portuguese tile is hard to do without a tiling plugin, spent a couple hours clonestamping in photoshop. But I'd have to do the entire square if I wanted no tiling at all.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I have a 3DS Max question again. I'm trying to do stuff like cut out the line where a car door would be, or raise uniform-height panels along a curved surface, etc. If it was a flat surface I'd use Boolean object combination, but on a sphere for example can I snap a shape to the surface or something?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

In general, i would avoid using booleans in Max. I know they're sexy and quick, I used to use them, and think they were the bees knees. But trust me, it's better to do mesh cuts by hand.

Also, if you post a screenshot of what you're trying to do, it would make assisting you much easier.

tl;dr: The snaps toggle is great for snapping to vertices/centers/faces/edges/tangents/grid points AND for cutting!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
eh i'm done with this.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Gearman posted:

In general, i would avoid using booleans in Max. I know they're sexy and quick, I used to use them, and think they were the bees knees. But trust me, it's better to do mesh cuts by hand.

Also, if you post a screenshot of what you're trying to do, it would make assisting you much easier.

tl;dr: The snaps toggle is great for snapping to vertices/centers/faces/edges/tangents/grid points AND for cutting!

Thanks for the help, I can probably find some videos on the snaps toggle now. I just had no idea what to search for in the first place. Here's a pic anyway.

I'm basically trying to cut into the body so it looks like sliding panels reveal a ladder, or landing gear, etc. All of this is just for fun anyway and this is only my second model so I'm not expecting much.

And I think I said it last time I had a question too but the finished work posted here is incredible.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I am sure you guys saw this but:

NDO / DDO suite being released by Quixel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLFWFskgxE

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I was passing that around work today. I'm extremely tempted to buy a personal/freelance license for myself to get to learn it so I can figure out if it would be worth it to get enough licenses for work. Looks like hot stuff!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

I am sure you guys saw this but:

NDO / DDO suite being released by Quixel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLFWFskgxE

Ndo by itself is worth its weight in gold. $100 for everything? Easiest purchasing decision ever.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

$100 is an amazing price. It's also worth mentioning DDO 5.3 is free (at the bottom of the DDO page).

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the head's up! I'm going to buy it now.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Allegorithmic has a similar suite deal going on:
http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-indie-pack

It's nice with these new Indie dev licences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Unreal 4 Engine (the full thing) is out today as well for a new subscription format of $20/month which I think is a steal. And if you decide to actually publish a game with it, you pay 5% of GROSS revenues to Epic.