Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

HMS Needful

I saw a boat recently with the name "C:\Sick"

I also bought a boat two weeks ago. Still haven't decided on a name though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Helushune posted:

I think it was earlier in this thread, someone had mentioned that Dell doesn't update any of the drivers on their FTP site anymore or something like that. I still use it because it's still heaps better than trying to use Dell's support site when I need a driver to inject in some WDS images.
There's a BIOS update for E6420s from a little under two weeks ago right there, but most of the device drivers on their site are going to have newer versions in Windows Update regardless of whether they're on the FTP site or not.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

I think firewall configuration experience is kind of rare sometimes because nobody wants to let anyone touch the firewall ever.

I finished a migration at a site from an ASA to an SRX cluster. I have never been a network guy, but working with the SRX, doing policies between zones and NATs were dead simple.

Only changes I had ever made to our ASA were all from ASDM.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you guys want terrible poo poo, just go grab some bash scripts from the web.

They are all terrible, all of them. :allears:

Also Linux systems "engineers" who make everything static and don't do error checking or failure handeling, can't figure out how to read log files, disable iptables/SElinux/chmod 777 everything and anything, and have the root user with a loginable password.

I have seen Apache setups that execute bash scripts through cgi with poo poo like:

code:
#!/bin/bash

Run_Command()
{
  COMMAND=${1}
  echo "running ${COMMAND}"
  ${COMMAND}
}

Run_Command ${1}

I have stared into the abyss of poo poo Linux admin stuff, and I would say that 80% of the Linux systems "engineers" are terrible.

I take pride in knowing low level Linux stuff, but good god there are some terrible horrendous people out there who say they know Linux.

That being said, I love the terrible mess they leave behind, because I can charge way more money to fix their mistakes. :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Moey posted:

I finished a migration at a site from an ASA to an SRX cluster. I have never been a network guy, but working with the SRX, doing policies between zones and NATs were dead simple.

Only changes I had ever made to our ASA were all from ASDM.

ASDM is pretty much the way to go. Its the only cisco device I don't use the CLI for 100%. I mean if you are doing constant deployments I would see how copying configs into the cli would save a ton of time, but you simply don't do it enough in most environments.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

ASDM is pretty much the way to go. Its the only cisco device I don't use the CLI for 100%. I mean if you are doing constant deployments I would see how copying configs into the cli would save a ton of time, but you simply don't do it enough in most environments.

Yea, I never had any problems with it really. Not hard to poke around and see what is all setup.

Speaking of that, I have one last ASA here that is undocumented, so I get to dig through and see what rules are actually still use. Then pump all that poo poo through some Juniper goodness.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Boat chat: Take the money, go and see how much time it buys you travelling around Italy.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Europe is correct. If you really want to, put a grand aside and rent a boat every now and then - you get to go boating without the horrors of boat ownership, and get to take an excellent trip.

Go to the Amalfi coast.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Europe is correct. If you really want to, put a grand aside and rent a boat every now and then - you get to go boating without the horrors of boat ownership, and get to take an excellent trip.

Go to the Amalfi coast.

Yeah, just join a local boat club. All of the fun of boat ownership, almost none of the hassle.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Also Linux systems "engineers" who make everything static and don't do error checking or failure handeling, can't figure out how to read log files, disable iptables/SElinux/chmod 777 everything and anything, and have the root user with a loginable password.

A guy I was working with tried to do this, fortunately only on a test system.
He was trying to test why an smtp connection was failing so setup a stupid proxy on this test system which listened on a randomly chosen port for an incoming connection and then forwards it along to the correct smtp server on port 25. He wanted the linux system to log the error from the remote server for the fault :confused:

Of course he couldn't connect to his proxy because the firewall was running, and his proxy was being blocked from doing anything anyway by selinux. He tried to disable the firewall, but once again selinux blocked him. He then asked me how to disable selinux, I asked why? He explained. All I could do was stare in disbelief and once again ask why? Apparently he always disables things like firewalls and selinux/apparmour etc as they just get in the way.

Oh the original problem was he had a typo in the password for the email program, if he had read the error Outlook threw at him he would have seen that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

Texas (DFW area)

Wife is trying to talk me out of my boat and wants to plan a trip to Europe. More money = more problems.

Can you please convince your wife to let you buy one of these $10k rugs instead? It would probably really brighten the place up.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Varkk posted:

A guy I was working with tried to do this, fortunately only on a test system.
He was trying to test why an smtp connection was failing so setup a stupid proxy on this test system which listened on a randomly chosen port for an incoming connection and then forwards it along to the correct smtp server on port 25. He wanted the linux system to log the error from the remote server for the fault :confused:

Of course he couldn't connect to his proxy because the firewall was running, and his proxy was being blocked from doing anything anyway by selinux. He tried to disable the firewall, but once again selinux blocked him. He then asked me how to disable selinux, I asked why? He explained. All I could do was stare in disbelief and once again ask why? Apparently he always disables things like firewalls and selinux/apparmour etc as they just get in the way.

Oh the original problem was he had a typo in the password for the email program, if he had read the error Outlook threw at him he would have seen that.

Good sweet Jesus. Why on earth was he using Linux to begin with if he couldn't look at basic log files?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sickening posted:

Texas (DFW area)

Wife is trying to talk me out of my boat and wants to plan a trip to Europe. More money = more problems.

They do say there are two best days in every boat owner's life...

Also that "Outlook" story :stare:

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

My direct supervisor was fiddling with Visual Studio again. He moved a bunch of stuff around in the file system and lo and behold all the nuget package references broke. Which broke the build. Which set off a buttload of alarms. Which rolled downhill to me to fix. And since Nuget is still kind of terrible and incomplete as a package manager, I had to manually uninstall and reinstall all of the affected packages. That was fun.

:suicide:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sickening posted:

The consultant was just some guy in way over his head. Consulting companies just care about billable hours and these weren't a contracted client and instead just a one off job.

That's called a contractor. Please don't give all of us consultants a bad name. :colbert:

Also, great job negotiating to value rather than to hours. That's actually the sign of good consulting (as opposed to contracting).

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I saw a boat recently with the name "C:\Sick"

I also bought a boat two weeks ago. Still haven't decided on a name though.

"The Airing of Grievances" would be pretty cool. Just saying.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Our detachment got the official kick to the balls we sort of knew was coming since yesterday. My team and the email, instant messaging and Blackberry team are the only ones going to be left standing by June 15th. The reorganization starts April 15th, and I've been told that I will be made to take anywhere from $8-20k in a paycut (assuming I agree to it), otherwise it's out the door. $20k is over 40% reduction in pay. Somehow I have a feeling that literally 1000 man-years of knowledge and experience are going to be walking out the door that day along with me. I've spoken with a bunch of people and they've all said that there is no way in hell they could take such a massive loss in pay. I'm editing my resume right now and going to pay for the Resumes-To-Interviews guy to write me a new one.

The one thing that really sucks about all this is that we were told a few months ago that we had a contract extension until August of 2015, so this happening came completely out of left field. Plus, I just moved in last month to an apartment and signed a 12 month lease. I'll have to shell out $2500 to break it to relocate, which is what I'm thinking is necessary. I'm tired of Ohio, so I think I might give Florida or Texas a try.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Daylen Drazzi posted:

~miliary poo poo~

I'm tired of Ohio, so I think I might give Florida or Texas a try.

Well that blows. If you're going south, now is absolutely the time to do it. You want to move in before it gets devil's-ballsack hot, which is within the next month or so.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

ratbert90 posted:

Good sweet Jesus. Why on earth was he using Linux to begin with if he couldn't look at basic log files?

Seriously! "tail -f"ing a log file has got to be the most :pcgaming: thing a Linux admin can do. (Then you find BareTail for Windows and become a super :pcgaming: among your peers).

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I really enjoy (not) the hodgepodge of compatibility issues between Office, Exchange, Windows and ancillary software like Reader X. Lync 2010 and 2013 both work with Lync Server 2010 or 2013, but of course no Vista support in Office 2013. I'm okay with no Vista support, but we do still have a couple of Vista desktops kicking around. Plenty of big companies have Lync 2010 server only, but Lync Room System is just blowing up and, of course, it pretty much requires 2013 Server to really function the way it's intended to. This doesn't slow the spread of Lync Room System, of course, just hastens the adoption of 2013, or a lateral move to Office 365 for LRS and "on-prem" 2010 for everyone else.

It sounds like I'm bitching, but the 84" Smart boards are 4K displays, so hopefully this whole trend will also spur 4K penetration, can't wait for that to be a common resolution.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Plus, I just moved in last month to an apartment and signed a 12 month lease. I'll have to shell out $2500 to break it to relocate, which is what I'm thinking is necessary. I'm tired of Ohio, so I think I might give Florida or Texas a try.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Well that blows. If you're going south, now is absolutely the time to do it. You want to move in before it gets devil's-ballsack hot, which is within the next month or so.

Honestly if you're looking at Florida my advice would be to spend a week down there in the dead of summer and see if you can stand it at all. The humidity/heat combination is bonkers and if you've never been in that kind of environment it can really take you by surprise. I did that once and my god, I never knew how fast a human body could become covered in sweat. Literally covered after taking two steps out the door (and I'm not particularly goony, this happened to everyone). It was miserable. It's not like you can't deal with it, and I was on vacation so I was forced to spend most of the day outdoors, rather than in an air conditioned building like I probably would if I lived there. But it would suck to find out that you can't stand it after moving and committing to a job.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Seriously! "tail -f"ing a log file has got to be the most :pcgaming: thing a Linux admin can do. (Then you find BareTail for Windows and become a super :pcgaming: among your peers).

Everything I do I pipe through cat or dmesg |grep "SOME ERROR I AM LOOKING FOR" :smug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ratbert90 posted:

Everything I do I pipe through cat or dmesg |grep "SOME ERROR I AM LOOKING FOR" :smug:
grep -C is especially nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

First of all, the firewall is a big mess of wtf. Objects are missing nat entries and someone appears to be confused on when something should be outgoing or incoming when it comes to rules. I delete them and start over. We are talking maybe 30 lines of rules and 8 nat translations for servers. Maybe 15 minutes of actual work.

We have MySpace, Yahoo games, and Everquest blocked. By IP address.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

grep -C is especially nice.

Indeed it is. I do a lot of embedded systems work, so dmesg is used most often because I am troubleshooting hardware.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ratbert90 posted:

Let me introduce you to *nix admins who aren't familiar with the cd and mv commands.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

scroogle nmaps posted:

Let me introduce you to *nix admins who aren't familiar with the cd and mv commands.

I... what? :psyduck:

How do they do anything?

:edit: They must use a GUI. Tell me they just use a GUI.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Che Delilas posted:

Honestly if you're looking at Florida my advice would be to spend a week down there in the dead of summer and see if you can stand it at all. The humidity/heat combination is bonkers and if you've never been in that kind of environment it can really take you by surprise. I did that once and my god, I never knew how fast a human body could become covered in sweat. Literally covered after taking two steps out the door (and I'm not particularly goony, this happened to everyone). It was miserable. It's not like you can't deal with it, and I was on vacation so I was forced to spend most of the day outdoors, rather than in an air conditioned building like I probably would if I lived there. But it would suck to find out that you can't stand it after moving and committing to a job.

Jesus, have you been to texas? You aren't allowed to talk about heat in florida.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

scroogle nmaps posted:

I'm sorry; you spelt "the bosses friends nephew who knows Linux!" Wrong.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

scroogle nmaps posted:

I can only imagine how blown away they would be at ctrl+r in bash. For a long time I considered myself a pretty low level linux admin, until I had to start dealing with people who were supposedly "senior" admins who had were absolutely useless at the command prompt.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Negromancer posted:

I can only imagine how blown away they would be at ctrl+r in bash. For a long time I considered myself a pretty low level linux admin, until I had to start dealing with people who were supposedly "senior" admins who had were absolutely useless at the command prompt.

Are there Linux shops that actually run GUIs?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Moey posted:

Old gig I worked at did. RHEL with a GUI.

Did amazing things when NetworkManager waged unholy war against /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

"The NICs are teamed. No they're not. Now they are. Aren't! ARE! AREN'T! ARE!"

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Moey posted:

I have only had to do that on Oracle servers. It used to be that you pretty much could not instal Oracle without a GUI.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You can tell us folks who grew up in Florida in the 80s because we all have burn scars shaped like the logos of various automakers from where we were foolish enough to touch the metal seat belt buckles in our moms' cars. :v: If you grew up there and are used to the heat and humidity, it's not bad, but if not, you're probably going to be miserable eight or nine months a year for a while (and the other three months of the year, everyone you meet will think you're insane because it's like 57 degrees out and you aren't wearing a heavy jacket).

The downside of growing up there is that I'm so acclimated to Florida weather that even after having lived in Atlanta for nine years, the winters here are still loving miserably cold and my nose still cracks and bleeds constantly when the humidity drops below 40%. :argh:

Moey posted:

A lot of the older RHEL servers at my place have Gnome desktops installed, but I don't think anyone actually used them; they were just too lazy to deselect them or remove them from whatever kickstart or template they used to build 'em. None of the systems I've built have a GUI, though. We do still have to install xauth on the Oracle servers so our DBAs can run the Oracle installer via X11 forwarding, but that's because Oracle installers are terrible. I can't imagine how you'd call yourself a Linux admin if you never use the command line (or how you'd not want to start smashing things in frustration after a while; I used to have to administer Windows 2000/2003 servers as well and the lack of a useful CLI toolset regularly drove me insane).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Negromancer posted:

My boss still refuses to use tab completion.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

In the interview for the position I just got promoted out of, which was an extremely entry level position, it was revealed that after a month of searching and interviewing people who claimed to be experienced *nix admins, I was the first one who know what ps and ls were for. Nor did they know where the messages file would be located(I was corrected, once, during the interview, because I had Linux experience and this is a Solaris shop)

I don't even know how you could apply for that job without knowing the most basic of commands you need to be able to work with the OS.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Oh he could look at log files, the basic error message from Outlook was the issue. He wanted something to show up in a log file on a linux machine. His reasoning was Outlook errors aren't very helpful, he wanted to see the full smtp error response. In this instance the Outlook error was enough, surely the first thing you do when Outlook reports a username/password failure is double check the username/password you entered.
Sometimes people just go looking for an overly complex way to solve a problem rather than the simple thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bob Morales posted:

We have MySpace, Yahoo games, and Everquest blocked. By IP address.

Haha awesome, I can't believe you have everquest blocked by IP address

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Negromancer posted:

I have only had to do that on Oracle servers. It used to be that you pretty much could not instal Oracle without a GUI.

You pretty much only need xauth and a few libXwhatevers to X forward their awful Java installer "wizard" somewhere else.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

Jesus, have you been to texas? You aren't allowed to talk about heat in florida.

I've heard that southern Texas's weather is "like Florida" in that it's oppressively hot+humid.

I live in Oregon, so after a certain temperature+humidity threshold, I no longer give a poo poo about the exact numbers or comparisons to other locations that are also beyond the threshold. Beyond that point it's just "loving miserable and I don't want to be here anymore." I've been to Florida and it's past my threshold, so I warned him. I'd already planned on avoiding Texas due to its politics, and you've just given me another reason if it's WORSE than Florida.

Again, though, you can get used to anything, or at least work around it. I love seeing native Californians up here, bundled up in heavy winter coats and still vibrating like chihuahuas when it drops below 70 degrees, meanwhile I'm in shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
edit: durp

icehewk fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 19, 2014