Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
They're trying to take it back:

quote:

Teabagger
Date: 2007
True conservative meaning - one who supports the Tea Party
False liberal redefinition - (definition inappropriate for family website)

I don't think they realize that Teabagger has been around much longer than that. Plus, also, the Tea Party came into power in 2009 after Obama got elected... so there were supporters for two years before there was a party?

Those guys are the ultimate hipsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

More of the idiocy posted:

social justice
True conservative meaning
- the liberal/Marxist idea of redistribution of wealth
False liberal redefinition - applying ideas of justice to the economic inequalities in society

how is this supposed to be a bad thing?

quote:

Santorum
- The surname of former Republican Senator and 2012 presidential candidate Rick Santorum

I'm surprised that Andy allows people to even allude to this.

quote:

Jobsgate
- scandal in the Obama Administration where White House staff offered federal jobs in exchange for political and electoral favors.
False liberal redefinition - N/A (purposely not defined).

... purposely ? "Because I like Obama, I'm not going to call anything 'Jobsgate'?"

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'd like to further note that conservatives do have a pretty strong case that liberals were being dicks in this case: the word "teabagger" was applied to them as an insult; it's not that they naively called themselves teabaggers and were laughed at (as has often been claimed since). By "reclaiming" the word, Schlafly is forfeiting that case. Good job.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
By god, Obama rewarded political allies with jobs and favors?

Do...do other people know about this?!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

By god, Obama rewarded political allies with jobs and favors?

Do...do other people know about this?!

It's only wrong when a Democrat does it, by the way. When a Republican does it it's a time-honored American tradition that must not bee questioned.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
This dictionary shall keep us warm for pages to come. And has made me realise that the reason these people hate Harry Potter is because the true conservatives lose.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Parahexavoctal posted:

how is this supposed to be a bad thing?

Probably because to them, they think liberals' concepts of justice is wrong and that it isn't really justice, it's injustice because it steals from the wealthy who worked hard and give it to the undeserving poor (basically look at their definition of welfare from earlier).

They also like to misuse verses such as "You will always have the poor with you" and say it's proof that trying to help the poor is pointless.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

the word "teabagger" was applied to them as an insult; it's not that they naively called themselves teabaggers and were laughed at (as has often been claimed since)
It was both.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Just so we didn't wear out the dictionary too quick.

Conservapedia's Harry Potter article posted:

The Harry Potter series is written in a way that embeds fantasy and wizardry into a real world setting. This could potentially lead to some children potentially exploring witchcraft, Wicca, and paganism. Indeed, the Pagan Federation in Britain has received a flood of inquiries from young Harry Potter fans.[9]

Some expect children's literature to present characters that are role models and teach simple truths that will help children grow and know the difference between right and wrong. However, the world of Harry Potter is one in which adult authority figures are complex, imperfect, and occasionally ludicrous. Some teachers in the series are boring, or outright incompetent, while others are supportive and protective (like Dumbledore and Lupin). In the first book Harry disobeys the teachers and is successful and later praised, a questionable message for younger minds.

The books also present witches and wizards as being both normal people and abundant. This deceit causes children to likewise accept magic and witchcraft as normal, and they identify with the children in the books, again furthering their acceptance and witchcraft.

The rest of the article is your standard "Occultist brainwashing" bullshit but this other criticism is so telling. These people want all their entertainment to be about reinforcing their authoritarian urges, fiction as fun just escapes their comprehension. And I get why they wouldn't like magical people being portrayed as normal, but don't they themselves believe that Satantic witches are in every stratum of society?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Mind Loving Owl posted:

This dictionary shall keep us warm for pages to come. And has made me realise that the reason these people hate Harry Potter is because the true conservatives lose.

The funny thing about this idea is that the faction in Harry Potter you're implying is liberal is built entirely around following the dictates of a single old white man, is so hidebound that they haven't figured out cars yet, and by the way they own slaves. They just happen to not be quite as committed to genocide.
:goonsay:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

it's not that they naively called themselves teabaggers and were laughed at (as has often been claimed since).

This is a thing that happened. I remember seeing one of them on TV referring to themselves as such and thinking "what the fuuuuuuuuck?"

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Mornacale posted:

The funny thing about this idea is that the faction in Harry Potter you're implying is liberal is built entirely around following the dictates of a single old white man, is so hidebound that they haven't figured out cars yet, and by the way they own slaves. They just happen to not be quite as committed to genocide.

I think that last bit would make them RINOs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I'd like to further note that conservatives do have a pretty strong case that liberals were being dicks in this case: the word "teabagger" was applied to them as an insult; it's not that they naively called themselves teabaggers and were laughed at (as has often been claimed since). By "reclaiming" the word, Schlafly is forfeiting that case. Good job.

You may not remember this, but a lot of conservatives did naively call themselves teabaggers in the early days of the movement. The first time I heard the term referring to a Tea Party person was in a video where a guy with teabags hanging off of his hat and a big anti-Obama sign called himself a teabagger

I'm sure there were liberals using it in a negative way, too, but you're forgetting about the average stupidity of the Tea Party

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Big Bang Theory given new evidence
Surprised you all haven't taken the time to try and disprove this one yet: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/17/tech/innovation/big-bang-gravitational-waves/ FernandoTorez 21:33, 18 March 2014 (EDT)

quote:

And why should we? Where's the evidence? Their theory still stands as nothing got together by chance and exploded by chance, sending bits of itself in all directions where some bits got back together by chance and made dinosaurs. Did they get absolute proof that their theory is correct; did they go back in time by piling into their DeLorean and flipping on the flux-capacitor, or is it another case of us having to assume it's correct because they said so? Karajou 00:23, 19 March 2014 (EDT)

quote:

Why not contact Dr. Jason Lisle at the Institute of Creation Research (ICR) about other possible explanations and/or the implications of the find? ICR contact information is at: http://www.icr.org/contact/ Conservative 00:46, 19 March 2014 (EDT)
lalalala I'm not hearing you!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The only proof something exists if you can go and observe it first hand. Now let's talk about God...

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You may not remember this, but a lot of conservatives did naively call themselves teabaggers in the early days of the movement. The first time I heard the term referring to a Tea Party person was in a video where a guy with teabags hanging off of his hat and a big anti-Obama sign called himself a teabagger

I'm sure there were liberals using it in a negative way, too, but you're forgetting about the average stupidity of the Tea Party

They definitely called themselves teabaggers in the very very beginning until they learned the joke.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mind Loving Owl posted:

The rest of the article is your standard "Occultist brainwashing" bullshit but this other criticism is so telling. These people want all their entertainment to be about reinforcing their authoritarian urges, fiction as fun just escapes their comprehension. And I get why they wouldn't like magical people being portrayed as normal, but don't they themselves believe that Satantic witches are in every stratum of society?

I remember when Harry Potter came out there was yet another Satanist panic (though not nearly as strong as the ones in the 80's). People were demanding that the book be banned because it encouraged the practice of witchcraft and Harry was summoning demons and what have you. This was also when there was a pretty big upswing in the number of people practicing contemporary pagan religions.

There is a rather strong belief among the far right that any portrayal of fantasy or magic must be eliminated because it encourages people to practice witchcraft, worship Satan, do drugs, spray paint trains, and what have you. Anything that encourages deviation from following Jesus is the influence of Satan attempting to lead people astray. They believe they're doing good but removing Satan's influence from the world.

Actually sit down and read the stuff Jerry Falwell was writing in the 80's as well as Chick Tracts. They're actually very educational on what the world view of these people is. They seriously thought that Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: The Gathering were created by Satan to lure people away from Christianity.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

To be fair there are morons in every large group of people, political movements definitely included. All sides of the political spectrum include idiots who cannot for the life of them explain why they identify with that persuasion. aka bandwagon obama supporters in 2008 at my university

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

thehacker0 posted:

To be fair there are morons in every large group of people, political movements definitely included. All sides of the political spectrum include idiots who cannot for the life of them explain why they identify with that persuasion. aka bandwagon obama supporters in 2008 at my university

This thread is about andy schlafly's brand of morons though so if you want to talk about bandwagon obama idiots i encourage you to make a thread about them!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually sit down and read the stuff Jerry Falwell was writing in the 80's as well as Chick Tracts. They're actually very educational on what the world view of these people is. They seriously thought that Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: The Gathering were created by Satan to lure people away from Christianity.
Actually if I learned anything reading Chick Tracts is that magic actually works. :getin:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

MeLKoR posted:

Actually if I learned anything reading Chick Tracts is that magic actually works. :getin:

Yeah, D&D is way cooler in chick tracts than in real life.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mornacale posted:

Exactly, they're American liberals.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

And like the American right their leaders also consist of closeted gay men. Though at least Dumbledore to my knowledge didn't try and give wand-makers the right to not serve gay wizards.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
In practice parents might not be happy with where the books lead their kids, but that's more in terms of slashfics and such than witchcraft.

I haven't ever run into anyone with the "Harry Potter leads to witchcraft!!!" thing in real life, but if I did I'd be sorely tempted to say something like, "Well, lots of people believe in things that aren't real and are more or less okay."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guilty Spork posted:

In practice parents might not be happy with where the books lead their kids, but that's more in terms of slashfics and such than witchcraft.

I haven't ever run into anyone with the "Harry Potter leads to witchcraft!!!" thing in real life, but if I did I'd be sorely tempted to say something like, "Well, lots of people believe in things that aren't real and are more or less okay."

It can be kind of a regional thing. It has been continually dying down through my life slowly but I'm from a region where people that would leave Chick Tracts and religious pamphlets instead of tips pretty regularly. Sorry bro, but eternal salvation and "the true wealth that is gained through Christ" don't pay my rent or buy me potatoes.

Really the best thing to do with the anti-Harry Potter people is to just walk away. You can't convince them. They view themselves as defenders of the faith and sacred holy warriors that are defending The Truth against Satan. No. Seriously. This is what they actually believe and why so many of them are such outspoken opponents of so many things. Satan's influence is in basically everything they don't like and if you can find some reason or another to say "yup, the devil's influence" they'll speak out against it, demand it be banned, and so forth.

Which is why all of this talk about freedom is kind of hilarious. This is the same group of people that were demanding that Rock'n'Roll be banned and censored.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bubbacub posted:

Didn't he write separate homeschooling exams for boys and girls?

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me, in fact I'd kind of expect it. He was raised in a house where the woman was a servant to the man, and she railed against anything else than that including women voting. Truly a hosed up world for that part of the family

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Randalor posted:

Huh... that looks strangely familiar...

For gently caress's sake, you can't take a "false liberal definition", swap two words around and say it's a different definition. I expected a bit more effort than that.

Well, you see, they're not saying theirs is different from the actual thing, they're telling you what they consider the words mean, and what their made up boogy man liberal agenda, rainbow flag flying, equal rights supporting, abortionist, poor, lying scumbag Democrats and others that don't follow the conservative viewpoint believe the words mean.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Just so we didn't wear out the dictionary too quick.

I'm quite sure if they had their way, every TV station would show the Passion 24/7 forever

quote:

It has been continually dying down through my life slowly but I'm from a region where people that would leave Chick Tracts and religious pamphlets instead of tips pretty regularly.

Heh, I remember finding those little "looks like money/something interesting" cards on the floor and tables at work at least once a week and always thought to myself "What a dishonest way to lead people to god". Actually saw one person dropping one on the floor once, picked it up and handed it back to him and asked him not to litter in my store, I spent a lot of time cleaning it and don't appreciate people trying to mess it up again.

Also remember way back bumping into a trucker who was all devout. Tried to get in my car to get away and he near crawled inside with me to "preach the word". God I wish cell phones existed then so I could call the cops on his rear end. He pointed to his truck, and sure enough, it had all kinds of bible quotes painted all over it, like a professional version of one of those rolling god wagons with the added on box covered in plastic wrapped cardboard signs

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 19, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
People have seriously left chick tracts instead of tip for you? On multiple occasions? :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Job 28:15,23,28 posted:

It cannot be bought with the finest gold, nor can its price be weighed out in silver.

God understands the way to it and he alone knows where it dwells,

And he said to the human race, "The fear of the Lord--that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding."
So you see, it's actually a far more valuable tip they left than if they had left only money. The fact that it costs them pennies is purely an aside.

Go forth and spend your cartoon booklet wisely. :cripes:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Helsing posted:

People have seriously left chick tracts instead of tip for you? On multiple occasions? :psyduck:

Though not a tip, I used to work in a postal outlet. I once had someone argue that the Word of God needed to go everywhere and thus he should not have to pay for stamps. He was very sincere and took almost ten minutes before giving up.

It wasn't even a church sending mail (we had several who did, including Scientology, which is its own stories). Just an old guy sending about thirty handwritten envelopes... with Scripture scrawled on the back. I have no idea if the contents were religious or not.

He ended up jamming them in the mail slot anyway since I was unable to convince him the Word of God still required postage. I assume they were sent back for no postage, but I never saw him again.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 19, 2014

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Helsing posted:

It's disgustingly common in some places; there are even tracts that are made to look like a $10 or $20 on one side, and "YOU WERE EXCITED WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS MONEY, BUT SALVATION IS EVEN BETTER!" on the other.

http://sundaysaretheworst.com/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Helsing posted:

Way back in high school I had a part time job one summer working a grocery store register, and I got handed chick tracts a couple of times along with the cash. This was back before automatic checkouts were a thing, and when food stamps still were printed pieces of currency-resembling paper, in case you were wondering. :corsair:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I went to a church as a child which handed out those stupid fake tip dollars and encouraged their use. gently caress the south.

E: Well the guy who ran the youth group did. Not sure what the pastors opinion on it was.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

MeLKoR posted:

Once you're absolutely convinced that magic exists, it's hard to draw a sensible dividing line between the real magic and pretend magic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Helsing posted:

I live in rural Pennsylvania in a place where I, just last week, heard somebody praising the Westboro Baptist Church as "some of the truest Christians there are" and asking why nobody had canonized Jerry Falwell yet.

Trust me, there are places where the stereotypes of conservatives are actually tame compared to the reality.

Case in point, one of the places I worked some guy went absolutely apeshit when he found out that his server was gay. He was really causing a scene, demanding that the guy be fired, that he get his food for free, and everything that was "tainted by that dirty human being" be immediately thrown out and burned. We had...I don't know, a total of like 7 gay people working for us at the time and let me tell you, this guy was not happy about gay people touching anything that he might consume.

We threw him out and threatened to call the police but some other customers rallied to his defense and a total of eight people walked out with him (mind you, none of them paid for their food but the police wouldn't do much about it even though that's, you know, illegal) while some others were muttering about that gay that caused a scene. Apparently the guy managed to convince a total of 100 people to permanently boycott the restaurant and threatened to picket it. He never did but yes, there are places where people like this are not only common but perfectly normal within the social fabric.

I don't live in that town anymore and would be very happy if I never even saw it again.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Case in point, one of the places I worked some guy went absolutely apeshit when he found out that his server was gay. He was really causing a scene, demanding that the guy be fired, that he get his food for free, and everything that was "tainted by that dirty human being" be immediately thrown out and burned. We had...I don't know, a total of like 7 gay people working for us at the time and let me tell you, this guy was not happy about gay people touching anything that he might consume.

Too bad the server didn't pull a Lafayette from True Blood (http://youtu.be/5Ff_6VsRuas)

Getting back to conservapedia, did someme just confirm suspicions about the Conservative account?

quote:

I am more certain than ever that the quality users of the Conservative account are long gone, yet the remaining cretins retain the original status and account privileges

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Hemp Knight posted:

Too bad the server didn't pull a Lafayette from True Blood (http://youtu.be/5Ff_6VsRuas)

Getting back to conservapedia, did someme just confirm suspicions about the Conservative account?

ooh, source?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
http://conservapedia.com/Talk:Main_Page#Big_Bang_Theory_given_new_evidence

JamesW, right at the bottom of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
That conservative dictionary is amazing

Somebody needs to get their facts straight about whether class exists or not.

quote:

class
Date: 1850-1855
True conservative meaning - A method of grouping society into sets based on employment.
False liberal redefinition - Different groups within society who are in opposition to one another. See Class warefare.

quote:

working class
True conservative meaning - communist concept intended to turn workers against management.
False liberal redefinition - The group of people who work.

When businesses give you botulism you will eat it and like it!

quote:

Food Police
True conservative meaning - Liberal effort to control what people eat by illegal regulation.
False liberal redefinition - allowing the government to control what people eat because they know better than the free market.

These things are not mutually exclusive even in conservative crazyland. :psyduck:

quote:

Axis of Evil
True conservative meaning - A group of countries who are sworn enemies of the US: North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba
False liberal redefinition - A term made up by George W. Bush to get support to go to war.

:a2m:

quote:

Santorum
Date: 2003
True conservative meaning - The surname of former Republican Senator and 2012 presidential candidate Rick Santorum

• Locked thread