Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

Yes because truckers are the ideal example for this incredibly irrelevant discussion because truckers have an otherwise perfectly healthy normal lifestyle :rolleyes:
To be fair, the rest of that lifestyle does kind of happen to both sides of their face...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

You'll need journal access to read the full paper, but here's some published work on it http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1600-0781.2003.00031.x/abstract

The results from it however are pretty much as expected:

quote:

UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 34% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 2531% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Tint your windows yall.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Kinda related. One of the guys in my club has the Mustang KITT, and the dash has this giant acrylic globe in the center console.

The car itself is super quick, and before it was secured it was incredibly common for that thing to just pop right out after accelerating from a stoplight or onto a freeway. The few times that I got to drive the car, I would just set the globe in one of the cupholders. Moments later I smelled smoke, and was paranoid that I had somehow started an electrical fire in my friend's car, but it was the globe focusing the sunlight and starting to burn the plastic inside the cupholder. Scared the poo poo out of me.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What does that globe do exactly?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the holo transmitter for KITT'S avatar IIRC.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slavvy posted:

Yes because truckers are the ideal example for this incredibly irrelevant discussion because truckers have an otherwise perfectly healthy normal lifestyle :rolleyes:

Did you look at his face? It's half melted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your point being? Correlation is not causation. Plus:

Stealth Like posted:

You'll need journal access to read the full paper, but here's some published work on it http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1600-0781.2003.00031.x/abstract

The results from it however are pretty much as expected:

quote:

UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 34% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 2531% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Guess I'll start sunscreening my left side when I drive around doorless from now on.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Stealth Like posted:

It is. The transmission of light below ~320 nm is essentially zero, depending on the type of course. So some UVA light will get through, but UVB and UVC will not. It's the reason that you don't get a sunburn during long drives if the windows are up. Otherwise you'd get them any time you take a long trip.

And this, children, is why we don't make our photolithography masks out of glass.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Edit: I was overgeneralizing-- but for next generation chips (22nm, 14nm, 10nm-- whatever TSMC is doing) I don't think you can use quartz/SiO2 masks. It's been a few years since grad school and my solid-state/fab courses, of course.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 18, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MetaJew posted:

And this, children, is why we don't make our photolithography masks out of glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomask

Future stuff (ie. EUV) will require different substrates but we've used "glass" for a long time. Beyond current high volume tools, EUV doesn't really pass through anything so future masks are reflective, not transmissive and they don't use "glass" because of its poor thermal properties.

http://www.photomask.com/products/euv-masks

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 17, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've never liked the Mk3. I like this though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EightBit posted:

Guess I'll start sunscreening my left side when I drive around doorless from now on.

My brother-in-law drives for Fed Ex home delivery, and he definitely gets more sun on his left side. He has to remember to put sunscreen on and reapply, but his arms are never the same shade.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nocheez posted:

My brother-in-law drives for Fed Ex home delivery, and he definitely gets more sun on his left side. He has to remember to put sunscreen on and reapply, but his arms are never the same shade.

I worked for UPS and our drivers never shut their doors.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I worked for UPS and our drivers never shut their doors.

Right, he does the same thing in the summer. I should have elaborated more on that point.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

88h88 posted:

I've never liked the Mk3. I like this though.

Yeah, does look alright, but that's mostly attributed to those lovely wheels.

Speaking of, I love the faux classic wheels on the facelift beetle.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Falken posted:

Speaking of, I love the faux classic wheels on the facelift beetle.

poo poo yes, those look so good, I hope more manufacturers start offering similar styles. The facelift Beetle in general is a pretty nice looking car imo, although it might just be that the old-new Beetle was so long in the tooth that any change was an improvement. It's certainly the only VW that I see and go, "yeah, I could own that and not feel bad", particularly the turbocharged version (although I hate the turbo wheels).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

there's a dark grey one that parks around the corner from me, and as neither a VW nor a Beetle fan, I have to admit it does look very sharp, especially with the "Orbit" wheels it comes with.

(similar to this -source: GIS)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Linedance posted:

there's a dark grey one that parks around the corner from me, and as neither a VW nor a Beetle fan, I have to admit it does look very sharp, especially with the "Orbit" wheels it comes with.

(similar to this -source: GIS)

I kind of dig the Disc wheels.

And they look fun on other cars.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slavvy posted:

Your point being? Correlation is not causation. Plus:

[/quote]

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMicm1104059

But that's not awesome is it?

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
I'm so conditioned to HATE the beetle that even though the pics above look pretty cool, I couldn't ever think about owning one.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
The "New" New Beetle is a massive improvement. I see them around once in a while and I don't actually cringe at the sight of them. In fact, they're growing on me...something about the new proportions just werks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

anonumos posted:

The "New" New Beetle is a massive improvement. I see them around once in a while and I don't actually cringe at the sight of them. In fact, they're growing on me...something about the new proportions just werks.

Because the new proportions are -very- similar to early beetles. The "new beetle" looked like rear end because it was a pushmepullyou type design.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

veedubfreak posted:

Because the new proportions are -very- similar to early beetles. The "new beetle" looked like rear end because it was a pushmepullyou type design.

Yes. The redesign has a bit more Super Beetle to it, rather than the symmetrical Beetles.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

DropShadow posted:

And they look fun on other cars.

I do like the look of that, but I have always loved the AMG monoblock wheels

Part of me wants to do something like that to my jetta wagon, but I am pretty sure my girlfriend would kill me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is the awesome AI poo poo thread and you're posting modern beetles. Yeah they're better than the original re-design but that's like saying being forced to eat a human poo poo sandwich is better than being forced to eat a dog poo poo sandwich.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Class 11 beatles are the most AI beetle.

Beep Beep.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Love how it has steering tyres and traction tyres, like a truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This used to be a 1977 olds cutlass sedan. It could do without the doghouse, but the rest is pure awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We found that Kijiji ad at exactly the same time. I just sent it all over IRC.

That work is really well done, I think the guy must be a bodyshop type judging from the truck in the background too. I need a friend like that. I should attempt to win this guy's trust so he can fix my rust.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Look at the bloody gap! The door is closed, and both sides were the same. So why isn't it in the Terrible thread? Because it's one of these:

2010 Defender 110 TDCI

Off road ability aside, they are a terrible outdated design. The new 6 speed box &amp; ford engine doesn't feel any better than the old td5 and 5 speed and it now comes with a 85 mph speed limiter, which is probably a sensible tire related thing, but no fun. NVH is laughably awful, driving position is one size fits none. The new dash and console is just slapped on top of the old shelf design, I wouldn't be surprised if you could bolt it into a series 3.

But once you start driving it, and start thrashing it down a B road a big grin appears on your face, and you realise once you get the tyre pressures right (bloody hire company set them to 35 all round) it stops trying to kill you and handles OK. Ish. Exploitable anyway. Driving in town feels like an occasion. Motorway plodding is a bit torturous, but thankfully for the two days & 250 miles I had it I was in the north of Scotland, so that wasn't much of an issue. I was very sad to give it back, but maybe I wouldn't feel the same if I was doing 20k a year in one.

stump fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 18, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

The new dash and console is just slapped on top of the old shelf design, I wouldn't be surprised if you could bolt it into a series 3.
Someone Toxx him to get his rear end down here, my socket set is ready. :colbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

stump posted:

Look at the bloody gap! The door is closed, and both sides were the same.

Typical American construction, Ford can't help but have a panel gap you could fit a kebab through
                                          /

quote:

2010 Defender 110 TDCI

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slavvy posted:

Love how it has steering tyres and traction tyres, like a truck.
Im guessing it helps the front to skim across the top of the sand without getting bogged down.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is remarkable, it technically isn't rain-proof! And if you decided to ford a decent sized creek you'd be swimming in the cabin.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Im guessing it helps the front to skim across the top of the sand without getting bogged down.

I think the point is that when you've got less than optimal traction and the front wheels aren't gripping, at least they're sort of useful as rudders.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slavvy posted:

That is remarkable, it technically isn't rain-proof! And if you decided to ford a decent sized creek you'd be swimming in the cabin.

Thats why Land Rover in their infinte wisdom decided to drill a stack of drain holes in the bottom of the floor- That way any water that makes it through the door seals will drain away. Apparently water refuses to flow INTO holes drilled in a floor pan in Britain.

Toyota door seal supremacy. I was in here for at least 15 minutes bogged and not a single drop made it into the cabin.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
"Probably the best 930 Turbo in the country"

This is what childhood dreams and NFS Porsche Unleashed are made of.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This car deserves better photos.

Vitamin J posted:

"Probably the best 930 Turbo in the country"

This is what childhood dreams and NFS Porsche Unleashed are made of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's easy to see who's been to the Photoshop and who hasn't.