Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hello my frequent business travel brethren! I will have to travel to Australia once, maybe twice, this year from the East coast of the USA. These trips will be business class. Does anyone have any particular feedback on specific airlines' business class cabins? Most interested in the Gulf carriers, Qantas and Virgin Australia.

Also, any advice on going East or West? I'm getting options to do both, some two-hops and some three in both directions. I think the advantage to going East is that I could take one of the Gulf carriers on a two hop, but the layovers and times seem pretty brutal for the most part.

I flew back and forth regularly for a few years and almost always went Dubai with Emirates. My business partner flew Singapore same direction. Dubai connection can be longish sometimes, but I still preferred it greatly over the shorter domestic flights and western long hauls. One reason for this though is that I was going to Perth. Which coast of Aus also makes a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Small White Dragon posted:

In my experience, going west is always easier. If you can handle it, I would say just take the nonstop.

There isn't one from BOS, or else I'd just do that. Regardless, I'm stopping somewhere.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I posted this a while back:

Trabant posted:

I'm most likely going to take a job with a massive US-based tech company, and I'm looking at about 25% (mostly domestic) travel. There's one thing I'd like to figure out as soon as I get started -- a way to get more legroom on my flights, because flying coach when you're 6'4" is borderline punishment. Forget business class, I'll be happy with the emergency exit row. This would be the first time I travel for work and I imagine most of it will be managed through the corporate travel dept. That probably means my ability to manipulate the logistics for upgrades is limited, right? Am I looking at paying for seat upgrades out of my own pocket?

I've since accepted the job in question, and now I know a few more details about the travel policy. We arrange our own travel, and here's what I'm looking at:
  • Need to use the corporate AmEx for as much of the travel expenses as possible
  • Automatically have gold at HHonors and Intercontinental Group (our "preferred hotel partners") and Starwood's Corporate Preferred Guest status
  • No preferred airlines, at least from what I can tell. We're supposed to book economy and as cheaply as possible (although in practice that seems to mean "do not exceed $300 above the lowest price")
Any thoughts on the best way to take advantage of these when it comes to air travel? It looks like Hilton and Intercontinental both partner with everyone under the sun. Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like I should just pick an alliance and grind it for all it's worth. I'm mostly going to fly domestic out of central Texas, so... Star Alliance?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would base your decision on where you typically have to travel to, unless you're going to use IAH/DFW, in which case you should do either UA or AA. Southwest is a decent option.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would base your decision on where you typically have to travel to, unless you're going to use IAH/DFW, in which case you should do either UA or AA. Southwest is a decent option.

I'd pick an alliance, as mentioned here. I'm going to guess and say you're flying out of AUS (fantastic airport), in which case both AA and UA will give you options connecting in DFW/IAH respectively and almost 0 direct flights. Economy plus is usually a fairly cheap (~$50) add on to the economy fare, so I don't think you'll have an issue coming within $300 of the lowest fare. Southwest may be good for you from AUS because they will have way more direct flights. Less connections=less time on a plane. You can buy A-list boarding and get an exit or bulkhead seat and be pretty good.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
6'5" goon here. Yeah if you're dead set on having leg room and have to buy economy fares, Southwest is a good choice. There's almost always bulkhead or exit row middle seats available well into the B group. Bulkhead aisle and window seats are usually snagged by disability pre board passengers; they're a 50/50 mix of giant fat fuckers and tiny old people, who I gladly sit next to. On business traveler heavy days, bulkhead seats aren't popular, which leads to the next thing: you can't really carry on if you plan on sitting bulk. When I have plenty of time and don't mind checking bags I'll carry my Nexus 7 and headphones in my pocket and sit bulkhead.

Also I loving hate united because 7 out of ten times I'm boarding group 5 and every single person who boards before me shove all their poo poo into the overhead storage (two bags, jackets, hats :wtf: ) and I end up having to gate check my big carryon anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why don't you have some sort of early boarding status or credit card?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm A-list on Southwest so I get good seats almost always. I fly on united 5-7 times a year due to logistics

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poo poo, just get UAL's credit card. If I were your size, I'd be all over that.

I can't even imagine. The rare occasions when I don't get Economy Comfort I feel like I'm eating my knees, and I'm 5'10.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
That CC ain't gonna get me leg room which is why I fly SW and I'll be damned if I have to pay for upgrades out of my own pocket.

Also my wife got me some of these:

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Haven't actually used em yet though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oxsnard posted:

That CC ain't gonna get me leg room which is why I fly SW and I'll be damned if I have to pay for upgrades out of my own pocket.

Also my wife got me some of these:

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Haven't actually used em yet though.

They got talked about a few pages ago. The biggest challenge I see is deploying them before the seat comes down in the first place since you have to break out your tray table to use it. You kind of have to hope you don't have to let anyone past you while you're sitting, either, because once the tray goes back up the seatback is slamming down on you out of spite regardless of what else is going on.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

As another 6'5" frequent traveler whose employer pays for only economy seats -

• It's a lot less comfortable for me with my tray table down, since by default my knees get in the way of the table and I have to do some crazy leg contortions to get the table level. I'll leave the table down to eat or drink, but I can't imagine having it down for a whole flight.
  • My knees end up being my own knee defender - people have tried, and it's just physically impossible for them to recline with my knees there.

That said, having even a little airline status helps, since I can usually get the premium economy free if not an outright class upgrade.

(Side note. Oddly enough, weight loss helped me a ton with legroom. I was about 245 pounds when I started my frequent travel, and there were some seats I couldn't sit in without putting my legs in the aisle or my legs going numb. I'm down to about 215 now and while it's certainly not comfortable, I've been able to tolerate every seat I've been in - even PHX-HNL in a standard economy middle seat. I guess the back and leg fat made a huge difference.)

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 16, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

On the window seat in CRJs, I just wedge my knee up using the sill under the window. gently caress you guy for leaning back your seat in a CRJ2.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Seat 1B is by far the best seat on a CRJ100/200 because you can extend your feet out into where the door curtain hangs. In 1C you can't do that because you end up tripping the flight attendant all the time. And I avoid the exit row seats because they're always full of guys as big or bigger than myself, so the extra legroom rarely makes up for someone spilling into my seat.

Delta is finally adding the occasional CRJ700 flight to my airport. I'm pretty stocked about that even though I'm giving serious consideration to switching over to American with these new skymiles changes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, I think end of 2015 they say they will have cut the number of CRJ2s to 150 or fewer. :getin:

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

code:
gently caress

CRJ

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
CRJs would be awesome if the only people that ever flew were children and petite women.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

CRJs would be awesome if the only people that ever flew were children and petite women.

CRJ2s would be awesome if they were all melted down for scrap.

The NextGens are pretty nice, though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The CR7s are very nice, especially if you can get someone to book you an F ticket, or score an upgrade.

I actually like the old Embraers that American Eagle flies, but mainly because of the seating configuration, since I can have a seat that's both window and aisle.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Beechcraft 1500's or :frogout:. 8 by 8, no overheads, no lavatory on the older models, and certainly no service. But with no door between you and the pilots' cabin, you get to see takeoffs and landings. And they're reliable, even with that horrible knocking noise they make first thing in the morning.

Counterpoint: the pilots are rarely old enough to require regular shaving.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

The CR7s are very nice, especially if you can get someone to book you an F ticket, or score an upgrade.

I actually like the old Embraers that American Eagle flies, but mainly because of the seating configuration, since I can have a seat that's both window and aisle.

The first class seats on a CRJ7/9 should be the standard coach seats in all aircraft. It would never happen, but air travel would be much more tolerable if it did. It would only require removing one seat per row in a narrowbody.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I feel that way about AirTran's business class. If all airplane seating was like that I would fly so much more. 22" wide seat, 37" pitch. I was in heaven for those 2.5 hours.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Upper or lower deck of a LH 744 in J?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Pissingintowind posted:

Upper deck is quieter and most people seem to prefer that. But my experience is Delta, I think all the LH ones are F in the upper deck, no?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It makes me sad that I could tell you the plusses and minusses of every single seat on a CRJ200 but that my opinion on Business Class/International First class is limited to "it was pretty cool that one time".

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Arzakon posted:

Upper deck is quieter and most people seem to prefer that. But my experience is Delta, I think all the LH ones are F in the upper deck, no?

poo poo I just checked the flight, it's on UA metal :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Upper for the novelty, or the very front of the nose.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pissingintowind posted:

Upper, always upper (except on the 748 where the footwells are smaller).

I just got home yesterday from doing this:

Wish I could go back to bed now. :P

Edit:

Pissingintowind posted:

poo poo I just checked the flight, it's on UA metal :(

The upper deck is definitely the place to be in J on the UA 744. I like row 14 or 15 because it's equidistant from the crappers and from the rear galley.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 18, 2014

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Upper, always upper (except on the 748 where the footwells are smaller).

Edit:

The upper deck is definitely the place to be in J on the UA 744. I like row 14 or 15 because it's equidistant from the crappers and from the rear galley.

Huh. Details please!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I'm sorry for all of you tall people and reclining seat issues. I'm 5'3" and I still find most airline seats uncomfortable mostly because I can't put my feet on the floor and the headrest is useless. I spend a lot of time slouching.

I did learn my lesson about reclining seats last year. I used to fly out 6am Monday morning and I would always drop the tray table, put my head down on it and pass out for a couple extra hours of sleep. Until one day when the passenger in front of me reclined their seat. Ever woken up in a panic thinking your neck was broken? I don't sleep on the tray table any more.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
People who recline without asking the person behind them are horrible monsters.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

oxsnard posted:

That's a bit too extreme. Perhaps just take turn around and take a look. The eye contact is implicit enough that you want to recline. Talking to strangers is scary :goonsay:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

kaishek posted:

I'm going to guess and say you're flying out of AUS (fantastic airport), in which case both AA and UA will give you options connecting in DFW/IAH respectively and almost 0 direct flights.

Yup! AUS-based people keep popping up in this thread for some reason.

Thanks for the advice. Judging by my coworkers' habits, I'm probably going to become familiar with AA routes. Not exactly my favourite airline, but I'll deal with it.

Also, I second wanting to hear details about Jason Bourne here:

Mackieman posted:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i81icu812 posted:

Huh. Details please!

It was actually two trips that got melded together because I'm a glutton for punishment nice guy.

The original trip was a vacation with my wife and I, my sister, and my parents. We were flying IAH-IAD-LHR//DUB-IAD-IAH on UA over the water and we had intra-Europe segments on BA for LHR-VIE and SZG-LGW-EDI and EI for EDI-DUB. My sister (the trip was her Master's program graduation gift) and my wife are huge Harry Potter nerds so we had to go to London so they could go see all that stuff (I went to the pub). We then hopped over to Vienna for a couple of days and made a day trip down to Bratislava so I could check another country off my list. As it turns out, Bratislava is badass and I'd love to go back for a few days. We had a train over to Salzburg for an overnight because I cannot pass up the opportunity to visit the Augustiner whenever I'm in that part of the world. Then over to Edinburgh for Stirling Castle (more Harry Potter poo poo, another pub for me) and a quick stop by the Falkirk Wheel because I'm a power nerd that way. Finally a hop over to Dublin for an overnight to avoid the UK departure tax. We were to leave March 6 and come back on March 16.

Until I got a phone call from an exec at work asking me to be in CAN (Guangzhou, China) the week of March 3-7. The only other dates I had available at the time were in the middle of Chinese New Year so that was a non-starter. I decided that I'd take the trip to China and show up a day late to my vacation. After all, work pays for J and that's a whole shitload of miles.

However, this presented a problem: I already had airfare booked for the vacation, and while joining my family a day late wasn't a big deal, I needed to fly the outbound sectors of that vacation ticket so that the return portion was valid. Given that, I developed the following plan:

Change my vacation ticket that was departing March 6 out of IAH to depart February 28 out of AUS (where I actually live). Work agreed to pay the change fee. I had secured upgrades for everyone on the outbound portion of the vacation ticket, and was able to find AUS-IAH, IAH-IAD, and IAD-LHR that had R space (UA's upgrade bucket) so now I could leave from AUS and remained in a premium cabin the whole way. I then bought a work-paid ticket from LHR to CAN. This consisted of two tickets, LHR-FRA-HKG//HKG-MUC-LHR on LH and HKG-CAN//CAN-HKG on CZ.

For those playing the home game, that's three separate tickets on three different airlines (creating three unprotected connections) across almost two and a half weeks. All told, I flew:

AUS-IAH-IAD-LHR(UA)//LHR-FRA-HKG(LH)//HKG-CAN(CZ)//CAN-HKG(CZ)//HKG-MUC-LHR(LH)//LHR-VIE(BA)//SZG-LGW-EDI(BA)//EDI-DUB(EI)//DUB-IAD-IAH(UA)

I am exceedingly fortunate that, as a charter member of the Tall-rear end Dudes Brigade™ at 6'8", all of the flights (except the intra-Europe segments where I had exit rows) were in premium cabins thanks to upgrade certificates that I acquired from generous friends and/or buy-ups, and work pays for J on international trips. Because I had a full J fare on FRA-HKG, I was able to use a paper SWU given to me by a friend to upgrade to F on the LH 747-8. That didn't suck. :cool:

The only real issue I had was on the way back from CAN when I arrived in HKG five and a half hours before my flight to MUC left and the LH ticket desk didn't open until two hours prior to departure. I was stuck in the transit area at HKG for three hours, living as Tom Hanks in that terrible movie The Terminal. All in all, though, it was a great trip and I got all sorts of fun dots, lines, and new aircraft types for my FlightMemory.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

oxsnard posted:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

That's a bit too extreme. Perhaps just take turn around and take a look. The eye contact is implicit enough that you want to recline. Talking to strangers is scary :goonsay:

Yeah, I do the same. I've never asked someone permission to recline and I don't expect the person in front of me to do so. It is annoying if somebody just pops their seat back all the way in one sudden jerk, but beyond that somebody reclining in front of you is just one of the lovely things you have to deal with in air travel.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
As a fat person I often recline without intending to because just sitting in the seat, my thigh is pressing the stupid button.

I'm sorry tall people, FWIW, air travel sucks just as much for me as it does for you.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Has anyone gone through the PreCheck enrollment directly with TSA?

My Nexus pass expired, I live in STL where there's no Global Entry enrollment facility, and I don't travel internationally enough to justify the hassle of trying to line up an appointment somewhere that I think I might be a month or two from now. So it's just easier for me to pay the $85 for a 5 year membership and be done with it.

I've got an appointment tomorrow for the in-person part of the process, just curious how much time I should budget and what they actually do besides take fingerprints and (I assume) a photo.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

Has anyone gone through the PreCheck enrollment directly with TSA?

My Nexus pass expired, I live in STL where there's no Global Entry enrollment facility, and I don't travel internationally enough to justify the hassle of trying to line up an appointment somewhere that I think I might be a month or two from now. So it's just easier for me to pay the $85 for a 5 year membership and be done with it.

I've got an appointment tomorrow for the in-person part of the process, just curious how much time I should budget and what they actually do besides take fingerprints and (I assume) a photo.

I assume the interviews should be fairly similar, it's basically dealing with the sky DMV. I went to the Homeland Security office in SEA-TAC and they were an hour late getting to me and the interview was cursory at best.

I also learned that the best way to offend a Homeland Security agent is to call them a TSA officer. That was a nice lecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I did it that way at IND at the end of last year; they basically just had me verify the things I entered on the form, fingerprinted me, and took my payment. I don't even recall them taking my photo (not like you get a PreCheck ID card, and you wouldn't need it for a background check), though that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I didn't have an appointment, so I had to wait like 75 minutes to be called up, but once I was, I was done in ten minutes.