Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Here's a shot, I swapped all of the scout heads with helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arklan
Jul 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Welcome! I assume you're an Aww, a Baby! - you've never done an Oath in a previous SomethingAwful.com Forums Oath Thread, right?

I don't remember doing one before but I'm not too worried about points, in any case.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oh dear, the month is already half over and I still haven't oathed anything.

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of March, oath this Helbrute and this gnoblar with a pile of loot. All bits are from GW, but the gnoblar is kitbashed from stuff in my bitsbox and will be my diorama entry.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

:siren:Oath addition:siren: 1 mounted 6mm warlord

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:nyan:OATH COMPLETE!:nyan:

I'd like to claim them as a themed group and the Jurnal is the converted lightning claw.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Since I'm not certain I can get my big scratchbuild done in time, I Signal oath Seven Dreadball Dwarves, 28mm from Mantic

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I assume my addition counts towards the monthly theme? I cut off the Viking shield, made a mold of a Norman shield and cast a shield in greenstuff, then mounted it on the model.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bavius posted:

Here's a shot, I swapped all of the scout heads with helmets.

You're good! :)

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Oh dear, the month is already half over and I still haven't oathed anything.

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of March, oath this Helbrute and this gnoblar with a pile of loot. All bits are from GW, but the gnoblar is kitbashed from stuff in my bitsbox and will be my diorama entry.

Indolent Bastard posted:

:siren:Oath addition:siren: 1 mounted 6mm warlord

Signal posted:

Since I'm not certain I can get my big scratchbuild done in time, I Signal oath Seven Dreadball Dwarves, 28mm from Mantic

Accepted!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I assume my addition counts towards the monthly theme? I cut off the Viking shield, made a mold of a Norman shield and cast a shield in greenstuff, then mounted it on the model.

You're good too! :)

I've got my internet back! yay!

That means I'll be able to collect all the completed oath pictures from last month and make the February photo album for everyone to peruse, and then to send it on to the judges. Look for that in the next day or so.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Not really doubleposting, this is a separate thing.

I'm starting to gear up for Season 5 of the Oath Thread...unless anyone else wants to take this on!

:siren: So I'm looking for anyone who wants to help out! :siren:

Leperflesh has been utterly invaluable all year long (and forget about me, really the thread would be NOWHERE without him, honestly), but he wants to paint and earn points and stuff next time around, which is totally understandable. So I'll need someone to help out, someone who can act as my 'second' at times, a sanity checker for any rules calls I make, someone who can help me make things clearer for all the participants! I'm thinking the new person and I will have clearly delineated roles, but not exactly the way they are right now where I don't touch the points, etc...basically we'll work very closely together for a while! So this is kind of an open call for someone to take loads of abuse for no good reward.

I'll also need judges! Judges like to paint, too, and I don't want to have to ask our judges to come back again and again, so if anyone would like to help out in this area, drop me an email (see below)!

While doing the rules (more on this at a later date) I'll need people to read the rules, discuss them, make points to suggest changes, argue a bit and then share a hug afterward (but no more than that, really). So I'll need folks to help me shorten and de-obfuscate the rules in their future form! Again, drop me an email if you're interested in helping out. I think the helpers we had this last time (see the OP for the 'credits') really really helped open up the rules quite a ways, so this is a valuable help for all the oathers.

If you've got a bit more money than time to help out, I will be putting out a call for anyone who can help out by being a postage helper on the next go-round. This is either simply donating money (which will be fully tracked and accounted for in the next spreadsheet - this is easy to do but potentially fraught with difficulty because it's :tenbux:) or you can literally being a shipping center and help sending out prizes (e.g., I'll ask sponsors to send stuff to you, if they're sending monthly or quarterly things, to help them lower costs). This being a worldwide affair the shipping costs can creep up there. How this will work exactly will be determined, but it's something we'll have to work on.

Finally, I'll need people to help find sponsors! If you have contacts or 'know people' at various game/supply/whatever companies (especially if you KNOW, wink wink, anyone), drop them a line, call them up, give them a nudge and a knowing smile, and ask if they'd be interested. If they are, put them in touch with me!

As far as sponsors, we've got an all-new sponsor on board already (a major company EVERYONE is familiar with, I'll leave you guys to guess who it may be), plus a couple of GOON SPONSORS have pledged their support (huzzah!), one current sponsor has confirmed they are dropping out (it doesn't really fit their marketing plan, to be fair), I'm planning to drop at least one sponsor and there are a handful of unknowns, probably because there's no good way we can show them what they're getting out of giving us free product (which is something we'll address with the Season 5 stuff).

So, a few changes, and I'm asking for a little help to improve things and all that. My email as always is krushgroove169 at gmail dot com, drop me a line if you're interested in helping out in ANY way!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Additional March oath! 10 Ghost Raiders, 2 Pistol Wraiths, and a converted War Hog:siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Speed painting complete!

This is technically Oath Complete for now, but I'll be oathing something else this month as well. Good pictures will come then.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath Complete!

They make up a Themed Group. My Jurnal entry is my Orc Centaur guy, who turned out pretty well. Orcs and boars are supposed to go together a bit more like this:

Bonus pictures of my carpet in action, since Grumlok doesn't fit in the front rank:

Oath re-complete!

Painted these guys up in like a day. These orcs are starting to look sharp, and I'm banging them out faster than ever. I credit the oath thread for working my painting muscles!

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 30, 2014

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

drgnvale posted:

I, drgnvale, oath this kitbashed Space Marine HQ on a bike, all GW parts from various eras. That backpack is (C) 1994! I'll probably try to model a cape or something, and I haven't settled on which marine torso and legs to use (robed or not-robed) so I just put them both in the photo.

I'm updating my original oath with a picture of the cape I've sculpted on and the slightly bigger (read: much bigger) shield I'm going to try to cram on. I haven't picked a head, but that'll be one of the ones I find in my bits box or a fancy helmet.

I forgot to include a timestamp on this and then went and primed the bike and marine; I can take another photo with a timestamp once the primer is dry tomorrow.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Under 15 posted:

Bonus pictures of my carpet in action, since Grumlok doesn't fit in the front rank:

This looks fantastic.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:Additional March oath! 10 Ghost Raiders, 2 Pistol Wraiths, and a converted War Hog:siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Accepted!

drgnvale posted:

I forgot to include a timestamp on this and then went and primed the bike and marine; I can take another photo with a timestamp once the primer is dry tomorrow.

You've got the timestamp, just carry on :)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The only way I could think of improving this is by turning the boys on either side of the carpet to face into the centre - like they are cheering him to accept a challenge.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Krushgroove, just letting you know that the Dark Potential starter set arrived last week :) I'll see about getting them painted in this or the next oathing season

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of March a converted Reaper Bones woman and fifteen tokens.

The conversion is the woman's left hand - she originally had a small lumpy empty hand, an unfortunate victim of the Bones propensity to blur small details. Now she has the left hand of a cowboy, complete with pistol!

The tokens are my Rolled a Six inclusion; I plan to use them for the Mouseguard RPG as 'check' tokens. The game just asks you to make a mark on a sheet of paper or something, but I wanted something cute to use along with the fancy dice in my set. There are three different designs because initially I wasn't sure which elements of the game were suitable for tokens and had a vague plan to use them for pass/fail markers for skills. Turns out, that would require a ton of markers and be super complicated to manage, so now they're all for checks!

I used three silver charms and some instant mold to make many copies of the images I wanted, cut off the excess greenstuff, and then glued the cut outs to some black rubber circles I have had for ages.

Oh, and I received my prize from Bachtere! I requested a female mini with curly red hair, and this is what I received:

Three minis! The red-haired spellcaster painted just for me, and two extras - an elemental sorcerer type lady which Bachtere tells me is from DeepWars, and an especially gross Festus the Leechlord! :D

My phone wasn't willing to take any nice photos, but these give some idea of what the painted mini looks like; very pretty!

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 18, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Grey Hunter posted:

The only way I could think of improving this is by turning the boys on either side of the carpet to face into the centre - like they are cheering him to accept a challenge.

Or maybe as a sword receiving line, like at military balls:

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Krushgroove, just letting you know that the Dark Potential starter set arrived last week :) I'll see about getting them painted in this or the next oathing season

Cool! MWG has been very good about getting their loot out to us :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of March a converted Reaper Bones woman and fifteen tokens.

Very cool! Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: THE FEBRUARY SLIDESHOW IS UP! :siren:

https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5992150087775155825?authkey=CL-Vj7b2tuPY_QE

Please please please check this to make sure your completed oath is in there, I will be passing the album to the judges in the next couple of days!

:siren: CHECK THE SLIDESHOW NOW! :siren:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
More catch-up:

:siren: The voting results for NTRabbit's prize for GW/FW models painted during January (the entries are here) are in: RED SHOE, you are the winner!

Post here, or message each other, or something, so the prize can be decided and get to the right place!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Congratulations Red Shoe, thems were some fancy, fancy Cyriss mans; send me a pm here, or an email to ntrabbit at the google electronic mail system and I'll sort out your prize!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
PMed, thanks everyone!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'm starting to gear up for Season 5 of the Oath Thread...unless anyone else wants to take this on!

:siren: So I'm looking for anyone who wants to help out! :siren:

I'd like to throw in a few comments here. First, I want to say it's been a pleasure working with Krushgroove on this year's oath thread. We've had many good discussions about the rules, and I generally found that we were on the same page even if we didn't totally agree. Our goal has always been to treat everyone as fairly as possible, including participating goons and our prize sponsors, and to maintain a professional level of integrity by avoiding not only any actual impropriety, but also any appearance of impropriety. We've tried to set things up so that rules adjudications are uncontroversial and, as much as possible, predictable and agreeable to everyone.

Krushgroove is responsive, open to suggestions and changes, and very generous. That generosity really deserves special mention. Krushgroove has been sending out a lot of prizes every month at personal expense, many of them internationally (he's in the UK while most prize winners are in the US). He's spent hundreds of pounds on postage this year, and on top of that, personally sponsored several prizes. He shouldn't have to bear so much of the cost of running this thread, so I'm very hopeful that several of you guys will step up to the plate to handle a prize. You can also help out with revising and improving the rules, if you just want to help for the next couple of months.

Note that we will be soliciting feedback from everyone at the end of this year's oath thread, so you don't have to "be a volunteer" to have your voice heard. But the organizers will need to work closely and negotiate an improved ruleset based on the feedback, our experience from this year, and the restrictions (financial, time, and technical) that we're operating under.

I did the corvus belli prize shipping this year, and by using USPS flat-rate small shipping boxes, I've kept my monthly expenses relatively low; usually under $6 for the monthly blister pack, another $6 for the quarterly prizes, and I anticipate perhaps $15 for the grand prize. One international shipment cost ~$10. Annual cost will therefore be something on the order of $130 or so, which spread out across a year is really not bad. If that's too much, you can volunteer to just do a quarterly or one of the final year-end prizes instead! If you just want to send $20 Krushgroove's way, the plan is to try and set something up to make that possible, if it can be done totally above-board, with publicly visible tracking and accountability for every penny.

The prize support we had this year was quite good... enough so that I believe a majority of those who consistently completed oaths each month have won something at some point. That's really a great incentive, knowing that all you need to do is finish a model or two each month and you'll probably get a prize at some point. But it's only possible because of efforts from goons like Krushgroove, who go above and beyond to solicit support from our sponsors, and then cover the costs of shipping. I'm hopeful that next year we'll have even more support, and attract and keep more painters through the year, by streamlining the rules and getting more goons to contribute financially to the logistics.

As for myself: I've taken on too many SA-related projects in the past year, including this thread, Secret Santa, and a ridiculous dwarf fortress LP that has grown into quite a heavy monkey on my back. I need to cut back. I also haven't painted anything in a year, which is terrible, so I need some incentive to spend less time at the keyboard and more at the paint station. I'll be happy to help out here and there... I can cover shipping a monthly prize again, and I can assist whoever would like to take over spreadsheet duties if they need it. (Google Sheets has a new version which is not 100% compatible with the one we're using, but I can help with getting it ported if we want to re-use the sheets I already put together.) But I don't want to do the daily points tracking again, and I don't want to be one of the people with the power of final judgement about the points/prizes/etc. At least not for the 2014-15 thread.

All that said, though: we need goons who will see things through to volunteer. You need to anticipate all the busy times you'll have through the year, not just how much spare time you happen to have in April and May. Obviously the occasional vacation is fine, Krushgroove and I have both done that, as have our judges... but if you know you're going to law school in the fall, uh, maybe it's not the best idea to try and run the oath thread. You could still sponsor a prize, or handle shipping for a prize, or help out with writing the rules, though!

One last thing: you should understand and expect that if you're actively running the thread, you won't be eligible for prizes. Even if your duties will be fully auditable and above-board (as my scorekeeping hopefully was this year), it just doesn't look good (to goons or to our sponsors) for the people organizing and running the contests to be also winning the prizes. You can still make oaths and paint figures, though, and of course the pleasure of enabling a project like this is very rewarding in itself. If you want to help, but want to keep your prize eligibility, just let Krushgroove know that's your intention and you can still be of tremendous help to the project.

I think the TG Oath thread is one of the best and most successful SA projects, and I'm very hopeful it will continue successfully for another year. Please help make that happen.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 18, 2014

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Remember when I said that I might do some more conversion work on this month's submission? I got around to it!

is the final after-conversion-but-before-painting image.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Call for volunteers

I'm willing to handle the spreadsheet at a minimum for Season 5. I'd like the opportunity to return to a little zen painting for awhile, and some weird part of me finds spreadsheets fun. :)

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Definitely into helping out next year, at least monetarily. I'll give a thought what else I can manage and let you know.

Also:

:catdrugs:OATH ADDITION:catdrugs:

I realized I didn't include a jurnal entry, so here's a weirdboy conversion and an image explaining the different parts:

Additional lo-fi WIP shot of the planes!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can help re-write the rules to make them more accessible. That wouldn't bar me from entering would it? I've gotten more painted this year than in the previous five years combined and I'd hate to lock myself out for trying to help.

E: I knew it was too obvious!

moths fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 19, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

moths posted:

I can help re-write the rules to make them more accessible. That wouldn't bar me from entering would it? I've gotten more painted this year than in the previous five years combined and I'd hate to lock myself out for trying to help.

quote:

Section 4.2c
All posters named 'moths' shall gain an addition 50 points per month of oathing

:v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Iris of Ether posted:

I'm willing to handle the spreadsheet at a minimum for Season 5. I'd like the opportunity to return to a little zen painting for awhile, and some weird part of me finds spreadsheets fun. :)

That's awesome! Although I wouldn't have minded tallying the points, etc., it is a big job really and I'd like to be able to concentrate on other aspects of the thread.

Monoliths posted:

Definitely into helping out next year, at least monetarily. I'll give a thought what else I can manage and let you know.

This is great also! Several goons have been in touch to pledge support for grand prizes plus monthly and quarterly prizes, and from my perspective the more goons the better.

If any goons make bases, counters or other gaming goods, or offer painting services, etc., and want to get your name and products 'out there', drop me a line and we'll talk! This is a great way to get traction for the start-up cottage business in a low pressure sort of way.

moths posted:

You're the second person to offer help in this area, and your assistance would be greatly desired! I'm a very wordy person when you put a keyboard in front of me so cutting stuff down is a major goal for Season 5 of the Oath Thread! Drop me an email and we'll get things started soon. Google docs are really handy for group editing.

As Leperflesh said, everyone is welcome to put forward ideas and suggestions, as we're wrapping up things with the thread we'll definitely start taking suggestions. Anyone who helps out ahead of time is still welcome to earn points and all that.

There are a few major things to sort out, I think making the rules simpler and sorting out how to deal with donations (if we go that way) or handling prize shipping (if we don't) are the two biggest issues, after that it's mostly downhill :)

Luckily we've got people already volunteering and thinking about this stuff early on so we're ahead of the game compared to last year already :)

Thanks to everyone who's even thinking about helping out on the next trip around this merry-go-round...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

As this is my first year of oathing, what is the turnaround for the new thread, is it one down one up, or is there a month or two gap?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Grey Hunter posted:

As this is my first year of oathing, what is the turnaround for the new thread, is it one down one up, or is there a month or two gap?

Last time there was nearly a 2-month gap, this time I'm hoping to have (almost) no gap at all. Getting the rules finished and sponsors & prizes lined up took a long time last year, which is why I've started now to start almost immediately after the final prize draws.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Last time there was nearly a 2-month gap, this time I'm hoping to have (almost) no gap at all. Getting the rules finished and sponsors & prizes lined up took a long time last year, which is why I've started now to start almost immediately after the final prize draws.

Truly you are a gentlegoon and a scholar :golfclap:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Truly you are a gentlegoon and a scholar :golfclap:

Seconded. Now to plan out my next few months of painting....

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Be sure to post (or email me) and address to which I can paypal some :10bux: towards prize shipping etc - I've not won any prizes this year (D:) but I'm happy if the thread can go off without too much pain.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Time to finally get off my arse and oath something before the deadline catches me out I guess :v:

I was going to do some terrain, but the converted chap down below was my first idea for the jurnal, I just didn't fancy painting him because there's 9 or so other guys I want to paint up at the same time. My plans on whipping up some terrain have fallen flat on their arse so I'm having to fall back on plan A.

I, enri, do oath to paint the following odds and sods

1 x Chaos Cultist (as a Necromunda Cawdor ganger), scale is 28mm and manufacturer is Games Workshop
3 x Reaper AA Grav-Tanks, scale is 10mm and manufacturer is Hawk Wargames
3 x Hunter Grav-Tanks, scale is 10mm and manufacturer is Hawk Wargames

Leperflesh, I have this as my before photo, will this be ok?.. this guy is basically the shotgun from the first guy, the rest from the second guy sans pistol:

and post-chopping and glue:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Right I promised to have at least some new models done to run the quickstart mission with a friend on the weekend so

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint 4x Stage 3As and 1 Stage 3A w/ HMG for Deadzone by Mantic

Is that a themed group? I don't recall, but not claiming anything else this month, will oath addition for a jurnal entry before the deadline on Sunday if I feel I have time

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Iris of Ether posted:

For March, I pledge (1) 'Hell on Earth' mutant from Studio 2 Publishing. I'll be jazzing it up with post-apocalyptic weaponry bits (also from Studio 2) and giant fly wings (Zealot Miniatures). Scale is 28mm.

I'm not entirely sure how to add this to my entry, so This is my Display Board entry:

It's unpainted wood and plaster. The columns have a single basecoat (to cover over some really old granite texture). Size is 12" x 12" (as each plaster square is 1 square inch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
I would like to add six objective markers as an "I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01" bonus, is this pre-paint photo ok?

• Locked thread