Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pincky posted:

So when will there be a new chapter of Otoyomegatari? Or Vinland Saga? I'm on withdrawal from historic Manga.
Does anybody have a release schedule for those two, so that I don't have to check all those manga-websites every hour? :hist101:

Vinland Saga is monthly, Otoyomegatari is every other month.

Xtanstic posted:

Just blitzed through Vinland Saga these past two days and loved it. Time to skim the thread. If I enjoyed that, I suppose Historie is the next logical step?

Depends on what aspects of Vinland Saga you like! Historie is generally less action packed and dynamic, but is pretty interesting! Though it comes out slowwww and smallll and chapters are half assed when they first come out.

Otoyomegatari is what I'd recommend if you just want more of a really well drawn and historical work. Because it's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

pincky posted:

So when will there be a new chapter of Otoyomegatari? Or Vinland Saga? I'm on withdrawal from historic Manga.
Does anybody have a release schedule for those two, so that I don't have to check all those manga-websites every hour? :hist101:

Vinland Saga isn't being translated anymore, at least not by Hox. He dropped everything else to work on getting a single manga finished this year. So hopefully someone else picks it up or he finishes soon and goes back to it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Hamelekim posted:

Vinland Saga isn't being translated anymore, at least not by Hox. He dropped everything else to work on getting a single manga finished this year. So hopefully someone else picks it up or he finishes soon and goes back to it.

For what it's worth, Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow's Joe), the one he's working on, is very much worth reading. It's one of the most influential Mangas ever written.

So while it's not a history manga, it is a historical manga, I guess?? :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not that I've read it myself, but isn't Joe sort of hurt by everyone and their dog knowing its ending (because it seems like that's the only part that's ever talked about)?

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 9, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Not that I've read it myself, but isn't Joe sort of hurt by everyone and their dog knowing its ending (because it seems like that's the only part that's ever talked about)?

Not really, no, any more than knowing how Citizen Cane or any well made film is "hurt" by knowing how it goes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zorak posted:

Not really, no, any more than knowing how Citizen Cane or any well made film is "hurt" by knowing how it goes.

It's "Kane" you goddamn plebeian.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Looks like Yukimura took a break on Vinland this month, we normally get a new raw on the 20th(-ish) each month.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dilettante. posted:

Looks like Yukimura took a break on Vinland this month, we normally get a new raw on the 20th(-ish) each month.

Yup, no Vinland for the April issue.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pentyne posted:

It's "Kane" you goddamn plebeian.

:twisted:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Waiting for new chapters of Kingdom is a perverse sort of torture. :f5:

Chapter 341: Looks like he blunted the worst of it with his sword and caught the rest on his collarbone, which probably hurts like a motherfucker. How badly he's wounded and how much of a frothing frenzy the walls suddenly turn into should be a good couple chapters next. It's hard to judge with this series because everyone and their brother spurts rivers of blood from papercuts.

Also Shin cut that loving dude in half. :black101:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Binging through Historie and holy poo poo I love it :swoon: Though having Eumenes invent stirrups kind of irked me in a :spergin: way; though I should not throw rocks at glass houses because I did the same thing in my Time Travel Trojan War self insert "novel" that I wrote during my freshman year in highschool. Speaking of which I wish there was a manga that did the whole Trojan Cycle faithfully with all the gods and poo poo and then be made into an anime so I can finally watch an adaptation of the Trojan War that doesn't piss me off.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Mo_Steel posted:

Waiting for new chapters of Kingdom is a perverse sort of torture. :f5:

Chapter 341: Looks like he blunted the worst of it with his sword and caught the rest on his collarbone, which probably hurts like a motherfucker. How badly he's wounded and how much of a frothing frenzy the walls suddenly turn into should be a good couple chapters next. It's hard to judge with this series because everyone and their brother spurts rivers of blood from papercuts.

Also Shin cut that loving dude in half. :black101:

Kingdom is pretty much peak :black101: all day, every day and I love it.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
At least Kingdom is one of the fastest translating manga I have read. When you get a minimum of four chapters a week its tough to bitch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're nearly caught up though so it'll be back to 1 chapter a week soon and it'll feel like its not progressing at all

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cynic Jester posted:

Kingdom is pretty much peak :black101: all day, every day and I love it.

Yeah, Kingdom is pretty great and a good old-school shonen bloodfest.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the constant change between semi-realistic battles and "oh gently caress! its Lu Bu! He's gonna kill all 30,000 soldiers!". I really prefer the former.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

trucutru posted:

Yeah, Kingdom is pretty great and a good old-school shonen bloodfest.

The only thing that bothers me about it is the constant change between semi-realistic battles and "oh gently caress! its Lu Bu! He's gonna kill all 30,000 soldiers!". I really prefer the former.

Yeah, the battles felt smarter when he was still a small unit commander. I enjoyed those a lot, hopefully having a strategist gives us more of that.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

pincky posted:

Otoyome was exacerbated as it took a break for January, the raw provider was genuinely snowed in for a stretch, and I suffered a delirious bout of sobriety. Thankfully we've overcome those roadblocks, so here's Chapter 36

In which we are introduced to our next heroine! Following up on the teaser from last time, is it Pariya's turn at last? Here's a hint: lol nope

Seems like we're heading for a good ol' lonely canary scenario. I have a feeling Ladykiller Smith just may make another appearance if (who are we kidding, when) he and she run into eachother and spark her curiosity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Otoyome was exacerbated as it took a break for January, the raw provider was genuinely snowed in for a stretch, and I suffered a delirious bout of sobriety. Thankfully we've overcome those roadblocks, so here's Chapter 36

In which we are introduced to our next heroine! Following up on the teaser from last time, is it Pariya's turn at last? Here's a hint: lol nope

Seems like we're heading for a good ol' lonely canary scenario. I have a feeling Ladykiller Smith just may make another appearance if (who are we kidding, when) he and she run into eachother and spark her curiosity.

Eventually it'll come out that Smith is either the son of a Duke or some cousin of the King. How else would "someone he knows" be able to hook him up with a some Turkish prince?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

pentyne posted:

Eventually it'll come out that Smith is either the son of a Duke or some cousin of the King. How else would "someone he knows" be able to hook him up with a some Turkish prince?

Well if he was educated at Oxford or the like he could have made well connected friends. Or there remains the chance that he is knowingly or unknowingly part of the Great Game and British officials are helping him along. Also were was it stated that their host is royalty? He just seems very wealthy.

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
New Otoyomegatari chapter looks great! Thanks for all the replies.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Pages 1-3: Not pictured -- her head and clothes covered in bird poo.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Chapter 101 of Vinland Saga (also 100) was just added to mangareader.

http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/101

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Xtanstic posted:

Chapter 101 of Vinland Saga (also 100) was just added to mangareader.

http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/101

Man, the new translator is pretty :japan:

Eeeeh! Haa! Maa...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AnonSpore posted:

Man, the new translator is pretty :japan:

Eeeeh! Haa! Maa...

Does he write out "Che" (as in, the Japanese version of "Tsk," more or less) too? I never like the translations that do that; the sounds are idiomatic and should be converted to their English equivalents where possible to maintain tone, in my opinion. But "Che" is especially jarring to me, because well...

<---

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Thanks for the translation.

I love how so much about the new heroine is communicated without a word being said. Well, how, in fact, so much is explicitly not even whispered in the expositionary dialogue.

And yeah, I am pretty sure we'll have more stuff about dear Mr Smith becoming clearer as he achieves the goals of his little trip. Whether he is a pawn, witting or unwitting, or both him and his backers and acquaintances utterly innocent in motive.

Are you using a different raw provider for this one btw?

Munin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 11, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Thorfinn is totally going to defeat that chain guy via the power of Jesus.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

I love how so much about the new heroine is communicated without a word being said. Well, how, in fact, so much is explicitly not even whispered in the expositionary dialogue.

And yeah, I am pretty sure we'll have more stuff about dear Mr Smith becoming clearer as he achieves the goals of his little trip. Whether he is a pawn, witting or unwitting, or both him and his backers and acquaintances utterly innocent in motive.

I've heard that one of the golden rules of comicking is "show don't tell" and I'm constantly blown away at how natural Mori makes it look.. You can actually read some real subtleties in the expressions and body language of these characters without trotting out contrived poo poo like *blushes and plays with hair* "w-well I guess I could go shopping with you"

I was still blowing off those Smith insinuations a few pages ago, but suddenly they're making a lot more sense.. Thought of you when I was working on this one, actually :v:

As for raws, short story is yeah probably. I honestly don't remember where I got last chapter's. Long story: I credit the same source every chapter because THEY approached ME with the generous offer when I was having trouble sourcing, and they provide really nice quality scans, and I want to do the only thing I can to recognize that. Unfortunately, I am pretty short of patience when it comes to cleaning them up (we're talking RAW raws), so I tend to squirrel away the nice ones for posterity and wind up actually using whatever crummy but work-ready ones I find a few days before or after the fact to save time. When I end up pulling from obscure and unfriendly reader sites that try and prevent image downloading, I don't bother crediting them since they obviously had no intention of sharing. I'm probably being naughty but it saves me some serious headaches.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A few more chapters of Kingdom are up now, through to chapter 346.

Speaking of Kingdom 345 / 346: :black101: It's the best possible miracle! Also, Shin's subordinates are loving awesome.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 16, 2014

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

On Kingdom

I don't think i'm ever going to get tired of seeing a besieged city saved by a gently caress huge cavalary charge.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Shin was always a bit overpowered, but seeing him kill as many enemy soldiers as his entire squad combined was loving :b101:

I am no longer bored with this siege :D

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I decided yesterday to finally catch up on these 100 chapters backlog of Kingdom that accumulated since the last time i read it. Man, despite all the issues this manga has, i really love how intense everything is all the time.

Suddenly, THE loving TERMINATOR IS BEHIND YOU WOOP WOOP BLINKSTRIKE MOTHERFUCKER

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It looks like that one fat dude on the left got copy pasted like 3 times the hell

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

It looks like that one fat dude on the left got copy pasted like 3 times the hell

If you look closely, they just look similar.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm sure everyone in this manga looks the same to you, DamnGlitch. Racism rears its head once again.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
A new Otoyomegatari raw is out. A fanservice chapter I guess. :corrupt:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KittenofDoom posted:

Shin was always a bit overpowered, but seeing him kill as many enemy soldiers as his entire squad combined was loving :b101:

I am no longer bored with this siege :D

Well, Shin has to grow into a general-level character and, since generals can destroy whole armies by themselves (but do not do sieges, no sir) in this manga then he has to start showing some serious power.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trucutru posted:

Well, Shin has to grow into a general-level character and, since generals can destroy whole armies by themselves (but do not do sieges, no sir) in this manga then he has to start showing some serious power.
I dunno, I never got the "solo entire armies" ridiculousness except from Houken who I hate. Like yeah, Ouki's a god and so are the other great elite general characters but I always got the feeling that the only scenario where they'd be fighting an entire army by themselves would be some desperate charge and in the end someone would get a spear in and even Ouki would die off with dozens of spears in him after having slaughtered a shitload of people.
With Houken his modus operandi seems to be "fight whole army by himself" and it's even worse because it's not a sacrificial last stand when he's doing it. My memory may be poor but I swear during that fight against the Hi Shin Unit and Qin where he just showed up by himself in a solo night raid or something, wasn't his skin basically impervious to their blades or some bullshit? Even the great general characters never entered that level of lamenesss. During that battle you had the feeling that he could have just gone on and on destroying entire armies of Qin soldiers and it never felt like he was in any danger. Man I hate Houken.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 20, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I dunno, I never got the "solo entire armies" ridiculousness except from Houken who I hate. Like yeah, Ouki's a god and so are the other great elite general characters but I always got the feeling that the only scenario where they'd be fighting an entire army by themselves would be some desperate charge and in the end someone would get a spear in and even Ouki would die off with dozens of spears in him after having slaughtered a shitload of people.
With Houken his modus operandi seems to be "fight whole army by himself" and it's even worse because it's not a sacrificial last stand when he's doing it. My memory may be poor but I swear during that fight against the Hi Shin Unit and Qin where he just showed up by himself, wasn't his skin impervious to their blades or some bullshit? Even the great general characters never entered that level of lamenesss.

So basically more like this:
“There Sir Geoffroi de Charny fought gallantly near the king. The whole press and cry of battle were upon him because he was carrying the king’s sovereign banner the Oriflamme. He also had before him his own banner, gules, three escutcheons argent. So many English and Gascons came around him from all sides that they cracked open the king’s battle formation and smashed it; there were so many English and Gascons that at least five of these men at arms attacked one [French] gentleman. Sir Geoffroi de Charny was killed with the banner of France in his hand, as other French banners fell to earth.”

The person who was deemed to be one of the finest knights of his day fell when the French were defeated at Poitiers.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Munin posted:

So basically more like this:
“There Sir Geoffroi de Charny fought gallantly near the king. The whole press and cry of battle were upon him because he was carrying the king’s sovereign banner the Oriflamme. He also had before him his own banner, gules, three escutcheons argent. So many English and Gascons came around him from all sides that they cracked open the king’s battle formation and smashed it; there were so many English and Gascons that at least five of these men at arms attacked one [French] gentleman. Sir Geoffroi de Charny was killed with the banner of France in his hand, as other French banners fell to earth.”

The person who was deemed to be one of the finest knights of his day fell when the French were defeated at Poitiers.
Right, a great general could take down an army but you better believe he's going to fall dead at the end of that with dozens of bloody wounds. With Houken it's just what he does...
To make matters worse he's somehow consistently survived killing off characters far more interesting and awesome than he is, even considering the most extreme wounds he ever received it's pretty ridiculous. I'm gonna be glad once he's dead or permanently mountain hermit and this shadow is done looming over this manga, him showing up in one of the last few chapters made me nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Right, a great general could take down an army but you better believe he's going to fall dead at the end of that with dozens of bloody wounds. With Houken it's just what he does...
To make matters worse he's somehow consistently survived killing off characters far more interesting and awesome than he is, even considering the most extreme wounds he ever received it's pretty ridiculous. I'm gonna be glad once he's dead or permanently mountain hermit and this shadow is done looming over this manga, him showing up in one of the last few chapters made me nervous.

He's probably not going to die until Shin starts using Ouki's glaive. Which probably won't be until after some sort of time skip or growth spurt as it's like 3 sizes too big for him. Or maybe he can have it made into a sword. It's kind funny how the series has a sort of One Piece thing going on where some people are just huge for no apparent reason. You don't normally grow 3-5 feet between being a teenager and an adult. I guess it makes for a better image when tiny little Shin cuts them up.