Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I imagine a big part of it is also that politics is not exactly a game for nice people. I tend to forgive them their personal failures, and see who seriously attempted to improve the lot of the poor and disenfranchised. Which I guess makes it a contest between Lincoln and either FDR or LBJ? Perhaps someone who worked to extend the franchise or fix all the corruption in government?

Flip side question; worst President of the United States: James Buchanan or Franklin Pierce?

I think if we're dinging TR on his foreign policy than LBJ is out on how badly he hosed up Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

the JJ posted:

I think if we're dinging TR on his foreign policy than LBJ is out on how badly he hosed up Vietnam.

Eh, ultimately LBJ made far more positive domestic changes than Teddy did. Basically, not even to mention civil rights, but the great society was the last honest push for social change at a economic level the the US has seen (or will see). LBJ's sins (which are a few don't get me wrong) are balanced by maybe being the last American president that made a real positive difference in the lives of common people. That may sound hyperbole until you start running through the guys that followed him and their total accomplishments.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

Is there actually a "decent" US president besides Abraham Lincoln? At least someone who was relatively a decent person? From reading this thread, it really is "Finding new things to be ashamed about" :smith: Granted, the world was not and still is not a nice place :ohdear:

Not an American so I may have some blind spots, but I thought Carter was pretty good (the economic problems not really being his fault?), as was LBJ even if only on domestic issues and FDR on social and economic issues.

On an unrelated note, reading about the last years of Woodrow Wilson's life was really sad - he worked himself near to death and there was hardly any payoff.

PittTheElder posted:

I imagine a big part of it is also that politics is not exactly a game for nice people.

Indeed, there's really only a certain kind of person who'll ever be a good politician and actually win office, which is why the image of a Cincinnatus is so revered yet so fleeting.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Negative Entropy posted:

Every US President is problematic in one way or another. Even Abraham Lincoln wiped his rear end with habeas corpus and had a problematic relationship with Native Americans. FDR vacillated on civil rights.
I recall hearing a talk which casually stated that among Indians, Abraham Lincoln is considered one of the worst US Presidents and Richard Nixon is actually one of the best. I have little to no knowledge of various presidents' Indian policies, so I'm curious if that's true or not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PittTheElder posted:

Flip side question; worst President of the United States: James Buchanan or Franklin Pierce?

Hayes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PittTheElder posted:

Why not just get used to a new ruler and speed limit sign and be done with it? It's not like Imperial isn't just defined in terms of metric units anyway.

Current rulers actually have both.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not an American so I may have some blind spots, but I thought Carter was pretty good

Carter was an unlucky president.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

Carter was an unlucky president.

He was unlucky in some respects but he also did some dumb stuff politically, even if it helped in the long run (e.g., the recognition of the PRC).

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Couldn't you really say this stuff about almost any leader in any country at literally any time? Moral purity is a pipe dream in everyday life, let alone as the leader of a major nation, and it's not hard to find decisions any leader made that you could use to paint them as bad as Hitler. It doesn't even necessarily mean that they wanted to make the choice they did. Look at FDR: beyond a few smaller initiatives like a CCC bureau for native americans, he generally let the racist policies of the USA at that time continue unabated. He was essentially for racial equality, but he needed the support of Southern Democrats. Would moral purity have been worth it if it split the democrats 20 years early and plunged the USA back into isolationism and depression?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Half-seriously though I think at least part of it is the "badass" mythos around TR, including "yeah he actually up and volunteered to go fight a war!" and "dude took a bullet and just kept on speaking" and what-not. I guarantee most of the American talking heads on TV that sneer at Putin would loving cheer for him if he had been an American president.

This is pretty much the entire basis of Cracked's (I know I know it's Cracked but they are funny some times. ) love for TR, this macho man tough guy view. Thank God Jackson hasn't gained that suet of appeal, yet at least.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Ofaloaf posted:

I recall hearing a talk which casually stated that among Indians, Abraham Lincoln is considered one of the worst US Presidents and Richard Nixon is actually one of the best. I have little to no knowledge of various presidents' Indian policies, so I'm curious if that's true or not.

I'm not sure if modern presidents can really be used as a judge against 19th century presidents when it comes down to US-Indian relations.

Saying "Lincoln was worst president ever for native Americans" sounds hyperbolic, I'm not even aware he had anything like a detailed Indian policy just because of the civil war. Even then, he'd have to compete with the likes of Jackson who I am sure is considered the worst.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Berke Negri posted:

Saying "Lincoln was worst president ever for native Americans" sounds hyperbolic, I'm not even aware he had anything like a detailed Indian policy just because of the civil war. Even then, he'd have to compete with the likes of Jackson who I am sure is considered the worst.
Educate yourself a little:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Walk_of_the_Navajo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_War_of_1862

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

caberham posted:

Is there actually a "decent" US president besides Abraham Lincoln? At least someone who was relatively a decent person? From reading this thread, it really is "Finding new things to be ashamed about" :smith: Granted, the world was not and still is not a nice place :ohdear:

Ulysses Grant was a decent person who wasn't that great as a president, mostly because he trusted the wrong people. He's also the only president to die in abject poverty.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ulysses Grant was a decent person who wasn't that great as a president, mostly because he trusted the wrong people. He's also the only president to die in abject poverty.

Nah there was another one before Lincoln who also died a broke alcoholic.
E; Pierce I think?

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 19, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wouldn't Andrew Jackson still take the cake if you counted his pre-presidential actions against Native Americans?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

caberham posted:

This depends on whether you apply any historical relativism or whether you judge everyone in power to be bad for making the types of decisions people in power invariably have to make.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The better question regarding decent Presidents is whether there has ever been a good leader of any country. No matter what your intentions, you're going to hurt somebody. It can even be a demographic that everyone wants to hurt. You'll be judged negatively at some point in history by somebody.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That might be a stretch. It's not like he was living on the street or anything. His pension was restored by Congress and he lived long enough to write his memoirs, which guaranteed his wife's prosperity at least.

Now Jefferson. There was a broke President.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Krispy Kareem posted:

Now Jefferson. There was a broke President.

And he's a Libertarian hero, there's probably a metaphor in that.*bans trade with foreign nations*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Well yes Grant wasn't homeless, but I'm not sure if I would describe a desperate race between dying of cancer and finishing his memoirs as being well off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well yes Grant wasn't homeless, but I'm not sure if I would describe a desperate race between dying of cancer and finishing his memoirs as being well off.

Of all the people who could die that way its only fair that Grant die by attrition.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Barudak posted:

Of all the people who could die that way its only fair that Grant die by attrition.

His memoirs are a great read, though, if you like reading battle notes and stuff.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wouldn't Andrew Jackson still take the cake if you counted his pre-presidential actions against Native Americans?

By far. Removing the Navajo 250 miles away from their homeland to an unsustainable reservation during the Civil War to try and put an end to raiding (much of which was due to the US army's own actions) was a pretty lovely and awful plan, but forcing 5 of the country's largest tribes, who had lived in complete peace with the US for decades, to move halfway across the continent for no other reason than being Native Americans, resulting in the deaths of 5,000+ people, was on a whole different level.

Also the Dakota War of 1862 was a pretty terrible event, but the part of it Lincoln would have been most indirectly responsible for would be the delay in to supplying the Dakota with the annuities they were owed by the US government (likely due both to the war and possible embezzlement by Indian Agents), which combined with crop failure drove the Dakota to desperate straits. Lincoln actually risked losing Minnesota's electoral votes by demanding only the 38 Dakota men most clearly guilty of murder and rape be executed, the Minnesotans had wanted to execute hundreds.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

the JJ posted:

Yeah, I have really mixed feelings on LBJ in particular. He's a guy that had taught some of the poorest kids in America, experienced their poverty first hand, and actually did something about it after ascending to the height of power with the Great Society programs. He also managed to use the tragedy of Kennedy's assassination to ram civil rights bills through. I would figure that alone should earn him the title of Best 20th Century President; my next pick would be FDR, who I also have divided feelings about.

But then there is Vietnam. Holy poo poo Vietnam. Especially now that it's beginning to become public how on board he was with the war. I rationalize it to myself with the knowledge that he wasn't the only one who thought this was a good idea - just about everybody in power at the time seems to have been pretty gung-ho about stopping the reds in Vietnam. If I'm wrong about that, somebody please correct me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
D&D has a bad habit of dismissing positive things about historical figures because some of their views and behaviors would be abhorrent in the modern world. If TR were president now, most people would probably agree he is a bad president because in the modern era we have a more expansive understanding of the ethics involved in foreign relations, treatment of native peoples, et cetera.

In the early 20th century, TR was operating within the moral framework of the time. He absolutely did a lot to help the common man in the US, while simultaneously doing a lot of things that we now see as bad, but back then would have also been done by anybody else who could conceivably be president at the time.

It's fine to point out a guy's flaws and to have nuance in our discussions of them, but don't take it to the extreme of "George Washington was a bad president because he had slaves and slaves are bad." That's has un-nuanced and overbroad as the overglorification side of the coin.

TR was a cool president who acted like a badass and did a lot to help the common man of his time, even if he did so within the racist and unethical moral framework of the time. A president with similar qualities as TR operating within our modern moral framework might actually be a good president, much better than the sort of thing that passes for a progressive these days. Turning every discussion about figures from the past into a race for the modern moral high ground doesn't do anything to help anyone contextualize and learn about them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I have really mixed feelings on LBJ in particular. He's a guy that had taught some of the poorest kids in America, experienced their poverty first hand, and actually did something about it after ascending to the height of power with the Great Society programs. He also managed to use the tragedy of Kennedy's assassination to ram civil rights bills through. I would figure that alone should earn him the title of Best 20th Century President; my next pick would be FDR, who I also have divided feelings about.

But then there is Vietnam. Holy poo poo Vietnam. Especially now that it's beginning to become public how on board he was with the war. I rationalize it to myself with the knowledge that he wasn't the only one who thought this was a good idea - just about everybody in power at the time seems to have been pretty gung-ho about stopping the reds in Vietnam. If I'm wrong about that, somebody please correct me.

Not to make excuses for any individual's Vietnam problem but it was a multidecadal failure to just stop loving around in that country specifically. Anti-Japanese action during WWII, anti-Soviet poo poo afterwards, hanging it largely on Johnson is still appropriate for his escalation but blame goes as far back as Roosevelt for getting the US embroiled in that mess.

It was a convenient location to springboard US interests in the area since Korea wasn't working out as planned. Vietnam and the rest of that peninsula was a good second-line opportunity for containment strategy, but hey it turns out anti-colonialism makes fertile ground for joining the Soviet sphere if your colonial/wartime oppressors were France and longtime Russian enemy Japan.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FAUXTON posted:

Not to make excuses for any individual's Vietnam problem but it was a multidecadal failure to just stop loving around in that country specifically. Anti-Japanese action during WWII, anti-Soviet poo poo afterwards, hanging it largely on Johnson is still appropriate for his escalation but blame goes as far back as Roosevelt for getting the US embroiled in that mess.

If we want to be pedantic, and this being D&D of course we do, we can push the blame even farther back to Wilson for telling Ho Chi Minh to gently caress off in 1919.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Also keep in mind making massive gently caress-ups or even following flawed ideologies does not make someone a fundamentally bad person. The problem is, when you give someone power, their fuckups, biases, and miscalculations kill people.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If you hadn't noticed we were talking about worst president.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

computer parts posted:

Making conversions for the end user is fairly painless and what 99% of people care about.

I mean yeah engineers should stop being babies and not use BTU/lbm*R or whatever but keeping signs in mph or weather in degrees F isn't a gigantic burden.

Honestly, obsessing over conversions is what messes up metric adoption in the first place. The American populace has no problem with two-liter bottles as long as they don't have to know or care how many gallons they're equivalent to.

Ofaloaf posted:

"Worst" is a bit excessive. Lincoln treated the natives badly, but so did other presidents of the era, and some were worse. I think it's just intended to contrast with his hero status. If you look at the most highly regarded US presidents, Washington, Lincoln, and FDR were all war presidents who presided over such massive disasters that they could pretty much do whatever they wanted and everyone would forgive them. Lincoln is so famous for the Civil War, emancipation, and his postwar intentions toward the South that people overlook his stomping all over civil liberties and forgive his mediocre domestic policy.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Honestly, obsessing over conversions is what messes up metric adoption in the first place. The American populace has no problem with two-liter bottles as long as they don't have to know or care how many gallons they're equivalent to.

this, all you need to know is basically 2l = 8 glasses.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, I think I get it. I just thought there was a particular system (the states or something) in the US government that made it more resistant to such arrangements compared to other democracies.

This is from last page, but unlike parliamentary democracies the head of state and head of foreign relations (the president) in the US doesn't actually have the power to ratify treaties, whereas the prime minister in a parliamentary system does barring exceptional circumstances in parliament. Wilson supported the League of Nations and Versailles but the legislature told him to get hosed, and he had a crippling stroke right as he was starting to drum up support for it.

Regarding TR chat, I think you can call TR a decent president under the circumstances but Wilson is basically indefensible.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 19, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

/\ Yeah, you might get away with some of that "White Man's Burden" poo poo defending other presidents but Wilson was straight up public-speaking-uses-of-racial-slurs racist.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If we want to be pedantic, and this being D&D of course we do, we can push the blame even farther back to Wilson for telling Ho Chi Minh to gently caress off in 1919.

Fourteen shades of racism.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

This is from last page, but unlike parliamentary democracies the head of state and head of foreign relations (the president) in the US doesn't actually have the power to ratify treaties, whereas the prime minister in a parliamentary system does barring exceptional circumstances in parliament. Wilson supported the League of Nations and Versailles but the legislature told him to get hosed, and he had a crippling stroke right as he was starting to drum up support for it.

Regarding TR chat, I think you can call TR a decent president under the circumstances but Wilson is basically indefensible.

Wilson's wife was a pretty middling president too as you mention.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Wilson is probably the most overrated president ever. Even Reagan can't win out in comparison. At least JFK had great hair.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only reason a presidential pension system currently exists is that Harry Truman was flat out broke.

There's a reason why he got the first Medicare card.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Wilson's wife was a pretty middling president too as you mention.

To be honest throughout that whole section on post-stroke Wilson I was just waiting for the conspiracy theories to come out regarding some kind of shadow government.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be honest throughout that whole section on post-stroke Wilson I was just waiting for the conspiracy theories to come out regarding some kind of shadow government.

Well thats due to a weak American Shadow Educational system.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

With Nixon, he signed the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, which was a bit of a mixed bag but far more than any other native group has ever received in compensation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

D&D has a bad habit of dismissing positive things about historical figures because some of their views and behaviors would be abhorrent in the modern world. If TR were president now, most people would probably agree he is a bad president because in the modern era we have a more expansive understanding of the ethics involved in foreign relations, treatment of native peoples, et cetera.

In the early 20th century, TR was operating within the moral framework of the time. He absolutely did a lot to help the common man in the US, while simultaneously doing a lot of things that we now see as bad, but back then would have also been done by anybody else who could conceivably be president at the time.

It's fine to point out a guy's flaws and to have nuance in our discussions of them, but don't take it to the extreme of "George Washington was a bad president because he had slaves and slaves are bad." That's has un-nuanced and overbroad as the overglorification side of the coin.

TR was a cool president who acted like a badass and did a lot to help the common man of his time, even if he did so within the racist and unethical moral framework of the time. A president with similar qualities as TR operating within our modern moral framework might actually be a good president, much better than the sort of thing that passes for a progressive these days. Turning every discussion about figures from the past into a race for the modern moral high ground doesn't do anything to help anyone contextualize and learn about them.
There were people who knew how not to be imperialist shitbags back then, it wasn't in the water. A good example is Grover Cleveland trying very hard to stand for justice for Hawaii.

Grover Cleveland posted:

Believing, therefore, that the United States could not, under the circumstances disclosed, annex the islands without justly incurring the imputation of acquiring them by unjustifiable methods, I shall not again submit the treaty of annexation to the Senate for its consideration, and in the instructions to Minister Willis, a copy of which accompanies this message, I have directed him to so inform the provisional government.

But in the present instance our duty does not, in my opinion, end with refusing to consummate this questionable transaction. It has been the boast of our government that it seeks to do justice in all things without regard to the strength or weakness of those with whom it deals. I mistake the American people if they favor the odious doctrine that there is no such thing as international morality, that there is one law for a strong nation and another for a weak one, and that even by indirection a strong power may with impunity despoil a weak one of its territory.

By an act of war, committed with the participation of a diplomatic representative of the United States and without authority of Congress, the Government of a feeble but friendly and confiding people has been overthrown. A substantial wrong has thus been done which a due regard for our national character as well as the rights of the injured people requires we should endeavor to repair. The provisional government has not assumed a republican or other constitutional form, but has remained a mere executive council or oligarchy, set up without the assent of the people. It has not sought to find a permanent basis of popular support and has given no evidence of an intention to do so. Indeed, the representatives of that government assert that the people of Hawaii are unfit for popular government and frankly avow that they can be best ruled by arbitrary or despotic power.

The law of nations is founded upon reason and justice, and the rules of conduct governing individual relations between citizens or subjects of a civilized state are equally applicable as between enlightened nations. The considerations that international law is without a court for its enforcement, and that obedience to its commands practically depends upon good faith, instead of upon the mandate of a superior tribunal, only give additional sanction to the law itself and brand any deliberate infraction of it not merely as a wrong but as a disgrace. A man of true honor protects the unwritten word which binds his conscience more scrupulously, if possible, than he does the bond a breach of which subjects him to legal liabilities; and the United States in aiming to maintain itself as one of the most enlightened of nations would do its citizens gross injustice if it applied to its international relations any other than a high standard of honor and morality. On that ground the United States can not properly be put in the position of countenancing a wrong after its commission any more than in that of consenting to it in advance. On that ground it can not allow itself to refuse to redress an injury inflicted through an abuse of power by officers clothed with its authority and wearing its uniform; and on the same ground, if a feeble but friendly state is in danger of being robbed of its independence and its sovereignty by a misuse of the name and power of the United States, the United States can not fail to vindicate its honor and its sense of justice by an earnest effort to make all possible reparation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

There were people who knew how not to be imperialist shitbags back then, it wasn't in the water. A good example is Grover Cleveland trying very hard to stand for justice for Hawaii.

Railroad workers though? gently caress 'em.

• Locked thread