Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, I'm running a M.Thor/Daken/OBW in the Thor event and I'm steamrolling poo poo left and right. I just go in there, disable their widow, and then poo poo Daken tiles all over the place. Pretty fun. It would be even better if my widow had an extra black cover but one can only dream.

I wonder if the team will be good on defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

trucutru posted:

I wonder if the team will be good on defense.

Depending on your M.Thor level, fighting OBW and Daken doesn't bother me. OBW has low health so she will usually be dead before her espionage and Daken's strike tiles do too much damage.

On offense it's an awesome combo though.

Edit: to expand on this a little, part of the problem with Daken on defense is, he is like a battery for the other team. I always kill him last because he doesn't do much damage on his own, even with his strike tiles. Any ap he collects is free to be stolen by my OBW because he can't spend it, and with his heal I can usually collect enough blue to heal my team up before killing him, because I don't have to worry about accidentally killing him with tile matches.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 19, 2014

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I just shielded in the current PVP tourney at 936 points. I don't know why but I really want more Astonishing Wolverine covers even though he is terrible and it would take forever to get enough to actually use him.

The collecter in me really wants him or something.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Top of my bracket is currently 802. And everyone in the top 10 is shielded but me. Let me see if I can keep the top 5 for a couple of hours.

God bless European timezones.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ok, so how exactly should you go about handling Lightning Rounds? I have no idea how people can get so many points in 90 minutes. I'm gonna assume it involves having a fully skilled team of characters that are being boosted by the event? Cause there doesn't seem like there's any other obvious way people can get so many points so quickly.

Also, I just randomly got a Grey Widow from a regular Recruit Token. Suddenly I wanna go about trying to get points from Shield Training.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

HGH posted:

Also, I just randomly got a Grey Widow from a regular Recruit Token. Suddenly I wanna go about trying to get points from Shield Training.

I got to the classic Hawkeye rewards before I got beat back down. Those carrots are on a longer stick than you might think.

e: It's nice when some jerk slams his face into my level 57 M. Thor and bumps me up to the 900 point progression reward without having to unshield! Thanks random stranger!

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 19, 2014

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I clawed my way up to 4th place after losing over 100 points whilst I was taking a break during the evening. I actually shielded myself for the first time.

When my shield expired a couple hours before the event end I thought I'd try to grind out to 800 points. In the time it took me to win one battle I lost three times on defense. Net loss of points. I just threw up a small shield to ride out the end. Hopefully I'll stay in the top 10.

Overall I'm not impressed with the tournaments. The pay-to-win nature of the game is a huge turn off. Mostly because I have little interest in paying to win. It was a lot of play time to get to the top 10, with considerable use of boosts to beat teams much higher level than my team.

The tournaments are the best way to earn iso (and events in general). It was worth playing just for the few thousand iso I earned.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

gromdul posted:

Overall I'm not impressed with the tournaments. The pay-to-win nature of the game is a huge turn off. Mostly because I have little interest in paying to win. It was a lot of play time to get to the top 10, with considerable use of boosts to beat teams much higher level than my team.

The tournaments are the best way to earn iso (and events in general). It was worth playing just for the few thousand iso I earned.

While I have played real money for cover slots and to increase the alliance size, I have never played a cent to level my characters or shield. I'm currently sitting in first with 950 points and have a lead of over 150 points to second place. I play a fair bit but I don't play constantly or anything either. Also, my highest level character is Punisher at level 89.

How you go into PvP is more important than how much money you spend. I might write up a little PvP guide soon if anyone is interested.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Friendly Fire posted:

While I have played real money for cover slots and to increase the alliance size, I have never played a cent to level my characters or shield. I'm currently sitting in first with 950 points and have a lead of over 150 points to second place. I play a fair bit but I don't play constantly or anything either. Also, my highest level character is Punisher at level 89.

How you go into PvP is more important than how much money you spend. I might write up a little PvP guide soon if anyone is interested.

Please do. I'm curious how you get that high without a shield

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Please do. I'm curious how you get that high without a shield

I'll write something up shortly. I do use a shield but only when I have gotten as high as I think I'm going to, and only if the shield will carry me through to the end of the event.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Friendly Fire posted:

I'll write something up shortly. I do use a shield but only when I have gotten as high as I think I'm going to, and only if the shield will carry me through to the end of the event.

I'll generally use one three hours before the end of an event and then break it at the last 15 minutes to scramble for points and usually place 2-5.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I just disconnected from the server in the middle of a game. Now I can't seem to log back in :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I just tried; I can't get in either. Maintenance maybe?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

GeckoMissingo posted:

I just disconnected from the server in the middle of a game. Now I can't seem to log back in :(

Same, was making a late charge for top 10 too.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Largepotato posted:

Same, was making a late charge for top 10 too.

Yep, guess I'm not the only one without a blue psylocke cover today.

now it's back but none of the events are available.

Mr. Whale fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 19, 2014

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Rats. I was primed to make a final shot for the top 10, but I guess I'll have to settle for #11.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've never been able to get behind the "use more than one shield in a tournament" thing. If I do use shields, I only use them a grand total of once per tournament, within the last three hours, after I'm reasonably certain I've hit my goal. If I'm aiming for Top 5/10, then I'm certain to get the 50 HP from hitting 500 points as well as the 100 from the Top 5/10 prize, so it's a net gain of 75 HP.

Even if I'm not aiming for Top 5/10, as long as I get within Top 25, I can still make a 25 HP profit if I shield, 100 HP profit if I don't shield at all (which sometimes happens).

If I'm not even aiming for that much, I don't bother shielding, so I end up Top 50 with a 50 HP profit. It's probably less of a hassle to just aim for Top 50 unless you really want the covers from higher tiers. You miss out on 1000 ISO and 50 HP, but you'd probably have to shield unless you had a really good defense, and I don't think 1000 ISO is worth raising your MMR and risking retaliations for.

It also helps that I constantly tank my MMR during tournaments I'm not interested in / Lightning Rounds.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Ok, here is my attempt at a PvP guide. I have never written a guide for anything before so if stuff isn’t clear, I will try and clarify it.

First things first. The whole idea of this is to never spend more HP than you gain. For this whole thing to work you need at least 100 HP to start with as you will get 50 more at 500 points. In the Alliance tourneys you will need 150. You also need to keep a small reserve of ISO so you can skip bad matchups. A couple of hundred will do. I also only attack people who will give me at least 22 points but aim for 25 or more. Any less and you will give more than you gain with retaliations.

When to start
Picking when to join an event is fairly important. You don’t want to hit a bracket that has whales with fully maxed rosters because we don’t have time to compete against that. You also don’t get put into a bracket until you start (or maybe finish?) your first match. The following is a post by one of the developers on the official forums.

quote:

From looking at historicals, most of the Tournaments end up seeing this and it almost never works out for those involved. We tend to get about 65% of our users joining in the first 24 hours of any Tourney/Event, ~15-25% for the next bit, then the rest joining with less than 8 hours left, with most of *those* concentrated in the last couple hours. So statistically, you're likely to run right into that last minute rush of players and end up with a full bracket of players that are doing the same thing you are.
Avoid the first 24 hours, that poo poo will be crabbing hell and it doesn’t matter how well you do then anyway, unless you are rich and can afford to shield every time you want a break. I tend to join up within the next 6 hours after that as things have calmed down a lot and you can make some progress. Don’t join right near the end as slacker brackets are unreliable in my opinion.

Mid game strategy
Ok, you have done your first match and there is still a lot of time left in the tourney. The key here is to take it easy, don’t freak out if you lose a match and DON’T SHIELD. All you are doing for the next day or so is getting yourself into a position to jump off from nearer the end. I tend to play in short bursts. My first session I will usually only push to 200 or 300 points and then have a break for a couple of hours. Then I will log back in, clear out the retaliations and push another 100 or so points further. Keep doing this until you are at 500 – 600 points. From here, you don’t need to push yet, just maintain around that level until near the end. DON’T SHIELD.
You will probably need to sleep some time during this. That’s ok, I tend to lose around 200 points while asleep. Get what you can back from retaliations you have available and get back up to the 500 – 600 mark.

The end game
There are two times that are important near the end of the tournament. 8 hours out and 3 hours out.

At around 9 hours to go it’s time to push. Win as much as you can until around the 8 hour mark then stop. Log off for an hour and watch TV or something. DON’T SHIELD YET. What you are doing here is letting people beat on your team for a bit. At 7 hours to go, a lot of people who just beat on you will have shielded and shielded people can’t retaliate. Usually at this stage, you can clear up the retaliations and end up with more points than you lost. Now is time to push hard. If you get into a good spot, drop an 8 hour shield here. If you don’t, go back to maintaining your score every hour or so, but try and keep it at over 600. For example, in this Tournament I was at about 750 at 8 hours, after I logged back in at 7 hours I cleaned up the retaliations and was at around 850. I won a few more and got to 930 or so with only 1 person attacking me. There is a lull here that can be exploited. Letting people beat on you every now and then keeps your MMR lower too.

If you didn't previously shield, at 4 hours in, it’s time to push again until the 3 hour mark. Get as high as you can and drop a 3 hour shield here. After the 3 hour mark I tend to find I get crabbed too much and I have better things to do than play for 4 hours solid.

:siren:Important note about shielding:siren:
When you are shielded, you can still line up decent matchups without breaking your shield. This is where your reserve of ISO comes in. Line up 2 or 3 good points scoring opportunities so if you need to, you can go straight into the matches right at the end. This is about the only time I use boosts. I gained 50 points in the last 6 minutes of a tournament previously this way. Breaking shields at 15 minutes to go is too early and will tend to get you crabbed lower than you will gain.

This whole thing turned out far longer than I thought it would but this is how I do it. Got my Astonishing Wolvering cover too :)

Edit: Cleaned some stuff up.
Edit2: To clarify, I only ever start out a tournament aiming to hit top 5. I only push for first if I think I have a real good shot.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 19, 2014

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Double Blue Dooms for rank 2-5 in Divine Champions? I MUST achieve this. I'm so sick of having max black and one blue for months because I can't win his drat lightning round.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Once you have enough cover slots, where should HP go? Is it ever worth saving 500 or 1250 HP to buy specific covers?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Infinite Karma posted:

Once you have enough cover slots, where should HP go? Is it ever worth saving 500 or 1250 HP to buy specific covers?

I mean, by enough cover slots do you mean one for literally every character in the game plus more for future ones?

If not, why not save up for those since it might be fun to actually have 1* characters too. Three 1* characters for the price of, say, upping one skill once?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

silvergoose posted:

I mean, by enough cover slots do you mean one for literally every character in the game plus more for future ones?

If not, why not save up for those since it might be fun to actually have 1* characters too. Three 1* characters for the price of, say, upping one skill once?

Not enough for literally every character, but I have 26. I don't foresee myself needing more for a while. I've been using my free HP on 100 HP heroic covers and shields in the last few hours of PvP tourneys, but I was curious if it's worth skipping 5 random covers for a guaranteed one on, say, OBW.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's better off not to spend HP on 2* characters, since they are given out as mid-tier prizes in tournaments and are way more common than 3* characters.

For 3* characters, I'm of the opinion that you should only spend if you're like, a cover or two away from maxing the character's skills, because a lot of characters aren't really that useful at low skill levels and upping a skill from 1 -> 2 won't really make that much of a difference unless that skill happens to be Spidey's Blue.

It's useful to have a wide range of characters because of...

a) Heroics, with their bullshit limits on who you can use.
b) PvE events where certain (mainly new) characters are required for missions that tend to be worth a lot of points and are often easier than the typical event mission.
c) Themed PvP Tournaments. You probably want 3 1* characters, 3 Dark Avengers, 3 separate female characters, etc.
d) It feels like a waste to toss out a 3* or 4* simply because you don't have the space, even if 4* are a bitch to come by.

Considering that they keep releasing a new character every 2 or 3 weeks, it's not a bad idea to keep some HP around for extra slots.

Though I guess if you're buying the Daily 100 HP packs, then you might as well level 2* skills in lieu of those. Better a guaranteed OBW skill-up than another 5 Bagmen worth 1250 ISO.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Though I guess if you're buying the Daily 100 HP packs, then you might as well level 2* skills in lieu of those. Better a guaranteed OBW skill-up than another 5 Bagmen worth 1250 ISO.

Yeah, I would never play the cover pack lottery, there is too much chance you will get trash. If you are set on spending HP on covers, definitely spend more and go for the cover you need.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Friendly Fire posted:

Yeah, I would never play the cover pack lottery, there is too much chance you will get trash. If you are set on spending HP on covers, definitely spend more and go for the cover you need.

If you don't spend HP on covers or slots, what is there to spend it on?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Friendly Fire posted:

The whole thing is just pretty badly designed. The developers want the gambling part of the game to be attractive because gambling is addictive and even people who don't normally spend a lot can sometimes fall into the "one more try" trap. But, instead, they are transparently greedy (one of the big no-nos in gambling) and have set the prices for the 10-packs to be a losers bet and the chances at getting a specific 3-star on the single pulls to be crap.

Unless you're trying to get a color of cover you don't have then it is pretty much always a better idea to straight-up buy three covers for your level 3 at 3750 gold instead of spending 3800 to get one random cover and hoping one or two of the other nine are also one of the covers you want (fat chance). Yes, you're still spending plenty of HP but you are not considering gambling, which is not what the developers want.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

Alliance slots if your alliance needs it. Shields in PVP.

And who knows what might get added to the game that needs HP. It may pay to have a small reserve just in case.

Edit: And you can never have too many slots. I am at 33 at the moment and it still feels like it's not enough.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
According to the data on the forums, there is an ~80% chance of getting a 2* from Heroic tokens.

So for every 2 3* skills upgraded you would average 5 random 3+*s if spent that HP on Daily tokens instead.

Of course 3 of those would be Punisher if you're like me and have him at 13 covers.

Infinite Karma posted:

Alliance member upgrades. :v:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Largepotato posted:

According to the data on the forums, there is an ~80% chance of getting a 2* from Heroic tokens.

The forums might say that but I swear I would get a Captain America cover every drat time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Largepotato posted:

So for every 2 3* skills upgraded you would average 5 random 3+*s if spent that HP on Daily tokens instead.

Of course 3 of those would be Punisher if you're like me and have him at 13 covers.

Alliance member upgrades. :v:

Watch only one tournament have alliance rewards.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Looks like the rumor on the MPQ forums is that the next "lazy" gold character to be released a la Thor is going to be... Captain America. hahaha I for one am looking forward to getting scores of yellow covers for Gold Cap far after I have him maxed out.

Also there's a new 4-star character coming that's new, but no word on that yet.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I did a lightning round this morning, 10AM EST, and placed in the top 50. The reward was a random 3* cover from the Lightning Offer. A 1100hp value. Not bad for no hp invested and spending maybe 30 iso on skips.

It was a soft bracket. I had a lot of opponents whose highest level hero was the gimmie. A lot more 30-40s. Quite easy to pick easy fights without a lot of retaliation.

The next Lightning Round was the opposite. Level 116 boosted Spidermans and so on. Brutal. I didn't get anywhere.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
This was kinda cool.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gromdul posted:

I did a lightning round this morning, 10AM EST, and placed in the top 50. The reward was a random 3* cover from the Lightning Offer. A 1100hp value. Not bad for no hp invested and spending maybe 30 iso on skips.

It was a soft bracket. I had a lot of opponents whose highest level hero was the gimmie. A lot more 30-40s. Quite easy to pick easy fights without a lot of retaliation.

The next Lightning Round was the opposite. Level 116 boosted Spidermans and so on. Brutal. I didn't get anywhere.

Just to clarify, there's a difference between Brackets and MMR.

Brackets dictate who you're competing against for the prizes. It is, as far as I know, based on time. People join a bracket when they fight (I dunno if they have to win or not), and once a bracket has been filled, another bracket opens up in its place, and the process repeats.

MMR (Match Making Rating?) dictates who you actually fight for points. MMR goes up as you win battles, it goes down as you're attacked (unsure if successfully defending raises your MMR or not). The higher your MMR, the more likely you are to be up against tough opponents. The lower your MMR, the easier your opponents are (generally, though you may still come across the odd high-level team, if that player's been tanking his MMR).

I don't think Lightning Rounds have more than one bracket, given how many players (100,000) it can accommodate with a single bracket. I think some PvE Events also had a single bracket for the main event, like the Hulk one, though the sub-events had separate brackets of their own.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

MMR (Match Making Rating?) dictates who you actually fight for points. MMR goes up as you win battles, it goes down as you're attacked (unsure if successfully defending raises your MMR or not). The higher your MMR, the more likely you are to be up against tough opponents. The lower your MMR, the easier your opponents are (generally, though you may still come across the odd high-level team, if that player's been tanking his MMR).

Regarding this, I've had some success alternating winning battles in the current event and losing battles in SHIELD simulator. It seems I'm seeing weaker players than usual.

It's VERY anecdotal evidence, so take it with a grain of salt.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I'm liking the Divine Champions tournament. Modern Storm and Thor Now with OBW. I just took on what I thought would be a tough match, the same line up as me except they had classic Storm. It was too easy. I left Thor for last and literally killed him in one turn (like 7k HP or so). Between Storm's red and green and Thor's yellow I just kept chaining attacks.

It seems like if I can get to 6 red AP early, the match is mine. Having her boosted to level 75 helps. Hailstorm ticks for 10 damage per tile.

I just hit 500 points. Ranked #5, and I'm not even trying that hard.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
Whats the word on when the next tournament with Alliance rewards will be? It will be bullshit if they don't have them very often.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
10 to 1 they make it an elite alliance tournament.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

gromdul posted:

I'm liking the Divine Champions tournament. Modern Storm and Thor Now with OBW. I just took on what I thought would be a tough match, the same line up as me except they had classic Storm. It was too easy. I left Thor for last and literally killed him in one turn (like 7k HP or so). Between Storm's red and green and Thor's yellow I just kept chaining attacks.

It seems like if I can get to 6 red AP early, the match is mine. Having her boosted to level 75 helps. Hailstorm ticks for 10 damage per tile.

I just hit 500 points. Ranked #5, and I'm not even trying that hard.

How good is that trio in prologue? I just unlocked the Osborne set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
It can be good, but the NPCs that only place countdowns can be tough. I still lose to RNG weirdness. OBW is good against countdowns. I also like classic Storm and Moonstone together with Daken. Lots of strike tiles, AOE stun, and tile manipulation.

I mostly like OBW for the zero downtime on a win. Usually.