Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If I remember right, the Crusader Kingdoms were a lot more cosmopolitan than popularly imagined in a post-enlightenment world, definitely not like the movie Kingdom of Heaven. Also, Christian populations were still pretty significant throughout the middle east, it wouldn't have been obvious of "all Brown people = Muslims!!" A lot of these lands had been held by Rome just within a generation after all.

This is all my personal opinion, but If the modern idea arose out of anywhere it would be the primordial soup of the reconquista and Spanish Inquisition, but this would only explain why Spanish people became racist. This rising sense of otherness seemed to unfortunately time with Africa and the Americas opening up and the reformation shaking up the sense of what was a "kingdom" and the people constituting it. The New World discovery was probably the biggest culprit though. All that land opening up just opened up possibilities for available land and the wars, diseases, and famines allowed Europe to seize a lot in a short amount of time with little indigenous population left around (not to mention there was nothing stopping and indigenousamerican captive from just...running away.)

Europe still contained in the old world would have been a lot different. Without all that opened up land you can imagine one where Europeans don't need to buy up millions of slaves to make up a vast labor force and then justifying it by saying they deserve it or etc etc. Maybe the colonization of Africa would have been more extensive at a quicker rate and we would have seen the same biases start to arise, who knows. That's just my thoughts, a lot of that is kind of big standard "how does race come about" I think but whatever happened the modern period is the beginning of a very big break from how medieval and antiquity people's views on ethnicity.

Edit:I imagine during like, early republic Romans would have very set conceptions of what a Roman looked like, etc., since even other Latins were seen as separate people's, but by the time of Marcus Aurelius at least around the Mediterranean populations would have been moving around so much a "Roman" from Nicea or Egypt wouldn't be thought of as so wildly a different species as a "Roman" from Gaul or Britain.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Berke Negri posted:

If I remember right, the Crusader Kingdoms were a lot more cosmopolitan than popularly imagined in a post-enlightenment world, definitely not like the movie Kingdom of Heaven. Also, Christian populations were still pretty significant throughout the middle east, it wouldn't have been obvious of "all Brown people = Muslims!!" A lot of these lands had been held by Rome just within a generation after all.

This is all my personal opinion, but If the modern idea arose out of anywhere it would be the primordial soup of the reconquista and Spanish Inquisition, but this would only explain why Spanish people became racist. This rising sense of otherness seemed to unfortunately time with Africa and the Americas opening up and the reformation shaking up the sense of what was a "kingdom" and the people constituting it. The New World discovery was probably the biggest culprit though. All that land opening up just opened up possibilities for available land and the wars, diseases, and famines allowed Europe to seize a lot in a short amount of time with little indigenous population left around (not to mention there was nothing stopping and indigenousamerican captive from just...running away.)

Europe still contained in the old world would have been a lot different. Without all that opened up land you can imagine one where Europeans don't need to buy up millions of slaves to make up a vast labor force and then justifying it by saying they deserve it or etc etc. Maybe the colonization of Africa would have been more extensive at a quicker rate and we would have seen the same biases start to arise, who knows. That's just my thoughts, a lot of that is kind of big standard "how does race come about" I think but whatever happened the modern period is the beginning of a very big break from how medieval and antiquity people's views on ethnicity.

Edit:I imagine during like, early republic Romans would have very set conceptions of what a Roman looked like, etc., since even other Latins were seen as separate people's, but by the time of Marcus Aurelius at least around the Mediterranean populations would have been moving around so much a "Roman" from Nicea or Egypt wouldn't be thought of as so wildly a different species as a "Roman" from Gaul or Britain.

Yo dawg just wanna stop you right there and let you know there was mos def a legit black knight in KoH.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Pretty sure he dies like right away.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Tao Jones posted:

It's complicated, yeah. I think the ancients clearly had a concept of ethnicities ('nations', if you like, but that's also a modern term that has its own baggage) and drew generalities about other people such that the Greeks thought the Persians were all degenerate, untrustworthy womanizers, the Romans thought the Greeks were all degenerate, untrustworthy homosexuals, and so on.

When it comes to a general concept of 'race' -- I think the waters get a lot more murky.

The closest thing I've encountered to an ancient theory of race is Aristotle's theory that different climates causes people raised in them to tend to develop different physical attributes and so that's why people from X are tall, people from Y have big noses, and so on. But I don't think he'd go so far as to say those qualities marked out definite subspecies of mankind or were appropriate ways to generalize about more than just one specific ethnicity.
It's worth noting that explaining racial differences on the basis of climate is exactly how Montesquieu does it 2000 years later. I would need to do actual work to back this up, but I suspect that it's the most common way racist early moderns explained the origins of different races; Kant tells exactly this kind of story in "The Use of Teleological Principles in Philosophy".

quote:

If some ancient dude had happened to explore all of East Asia, I doubt very much that he'd have put Japanese and Koreans and Chinese and Laotians and Thai people, etc, etc, all together into one "Asian" category in the way that many people today often do. It just doesn't seem to me to be how they thought of other peoples -- in works like Herodotous' history, for example, Herodotus is interested in, or at the very least aware of, all of the different peoples that made up the Persian empire. In the Iliad there's a large section where Homer takes great pains to detail where all of the divisions of the Greek and Trojan armies came from. The Romans were aware that the Germans were made up of many different tribes, that there were different people in Africa, and so on.
That sort of curiosity about differences is compatible with being racist, though; nobody would accuse 19th century anthropologists of being uncurious about the diversities of e.g. Native American customs, but they are also very obviously super-racist while they investigate the stuff.

I suspect that part of what makes "asians" count as "asians" is the old way of carving the world up into three parts: Africa, Europe, and Asia. Europe was always the good part out of those three. There's also been a long tradition of connecting these with the three sons of Noah, one of whom gets cursed; if you'd asked what this curse was in the 1950s, any sunday school teacher could tell you it was black skin. (This was the rationale for mormons denying the priesthood to blacks, for example: they bore the curse of Ham.)

quote:

I don't think ideas about 'purity of blood' or skin color marking one's status as a social insider showed up until the Spanish Inquisition and the exploration of America. (The place where it might, but I know really nothing about, is the Crusades. But even there my impression is that the Muslims were perfidious because they were Muslims, not because they were Arabs.)
I know you can find church fathers associating "whiteness" (in appearance) with goodness, and "blackness" (in appearance) with "badness", in general ways; certainly devils have long been drawn all in black, and angels radiate whiteness on church walls. I find it hard to believe that these associations didn't carry over into how, say, the Ethiopians were viewed. (It's worth noting that in the New Testament book of the Acts of the Apostles, the baptism of an Ethiopian eunuch is used to thematize that the gospel is now being spread to the most marginal and foreign parts of the world; for later readers of the story, "Ethiopian" means both "really foreign" and "black".)

It's certainly true that we don't want to read 1900s-style "scientific racism" back into ancient sources, but it's not at all clear to me how old white supremacy is. It seems to be older than any particular account of what a "race" is, or how to distinguish them; "racism" doesn't begin with that kind of theoretical error, it starts with dark-skinned folk getting marginalized for the sake of light-skinned Europeans. The "reasons" for doing so get made up later.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not sure you're going to find any definitive place to say modern racism started here, what I can say is the Romans didn't have it yet. They had different ways of being pricks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Romans didn't really differentiate between races like moderns do, their concept of ethnicity was based on who was oppressing and who was receiving the oppression.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The ideas of this really intense eurocentric racism towards Sub-Saharan Africans really rose with mass slavery in the Middle Ages, and thus, slightly ironically, from the Arabs. Obviously there's all kinds of nasty prior associations of certain ethnic groups with servitude ("slave" comes from "Slav", some Finno-Ugric words for slave, like Finnish "orja" come from the Aryan tribal moniker), but it seems to be the systematic enslavement and persecution of black people that led to this absolute racial ideology that was "intellectually" formulated during the Enlightenment (that's ironic too) and onwards.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cheerfullydrab posted:

The Romans didn't really differentiate between races like moderns do, their concept of ethnicity was based on who was oppressing and who was receiving the oppression.

This is a very good one-line summary, and ties in nicely with how Romans perceived male homosexuality. It was fine--if a little odd--to give. It was demeaning to receive.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
On the topic of unrecognized diversity in previous eras, I really enjoy this tumblr:
http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/missionstatement

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ynglaur posted:

This is a very good one-line summary, and ties in nicely with how Romans perceived male homosexuality. It was fine--if a little odd--to give. It was demeaning to receive.

Male homosexuality wasn't "odd" in the classical period, but quotidian enough. Besides, there's much better ways to formulate Roman ideas to sexuality. Namely, that the mainstream sexual ideas were just tragically stifled and focused on power relations, where you had Man (penetrator) and Woman (penetratee, i.e. woman or man (or boy)). So it's not really that "homosexuality" existed, they just had this totally warped dick-obsessed rape culture. It's pretty striking how Ovid wrote that he wasn't into loving men, because he wanted to give pleasure too, not just receive it. Like, what? There's very little understanding of either female sexuality (Ovid being an exception here) or what we would call homosexuality in Roman writings, just this macho insanity.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Romans probably weren't really all about white supremacy either as like, they weren't really all that 'white'. All the lily white people would be the ones on the frontier or outside their borders, and all the rich peoples would have been to the east and olive/brown.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ynglaur posted:

That's what I was referencing, making a little joke.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm not the sharpest gladius in the legio.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Speaking of race chat, was there really any sense of "orientalism" in the empire? I remember that kind of being an axe to grind over antony, but by like 150 AD was Syria on east viewed as kind of ~different~ inherently or was it just another part of the Empire?

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be

Berke Negri posted:

Speaking of race chat, was there really any sense of "orientalism" in the empire? I remember that kind of being an axe to grind over antony, but by like 150 AD was Syria on east viewed as kind of ~different~ inherently or was it just another part of the Empire?

If we look at the career of Elagalabus in the 3rd century, then yes, I'd say there was still a fear of the eastern provinces back in Rome proper. Then again poor Elagalabus had so much else going on...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, it never went away. Those weird decadent rich Greek speaking easterners :gay:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Okay, so it's always kind of been a thing. I got introduced to classics from a Catholic perspective in east/west church history and the West being pragmatic hard nosed realists and the east being more prone to mysticism and more arcane thinking. Obviously east/west clash of civilizations and orientalism is a thing in the modern era. I always wonder how much is projection back in time and how much is a undercurrent of "roman/Greek" biases stretching back millenia.

Edit: For the record, I'm not trying to make any objective observations what actually occurred. Just curious about the roots and growing of that conscious cultural divide.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It goes back to the Greek/Persian wars at least.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Grand Fromage posted:

It goes back to the Greek/Persian wars at least.

It is kind of interesting to think one cosmopolitan empire attacks a bunch of introspective hillbillies like over two thousand years ago and people are still seeing this divide in various ways to this day.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That's odd, I was going to use Elagabalus as an example of how Easterners were accepted. People throughout the West were pretty down to worship his god, even after his reign. It got rolled into the general sun god phenomenon that was so big right before Christianity.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, it never went away. Those weird decadent rich Greek speaking easterners :gay:
I feel like this attitude is more from people who write about Rome, rather than Romans themselves. At least in the Empire.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

It is kind of interesting to think one cosmopolitan empire attacks a bunch of introspective hillbillies like over two thousand years ago and people are still seeing this divide in various ways to this day.

Isn't more of the general tendency to think that those assholes on the other side of the hill are a lot more decadent/savage/arrogant than the people on your side of the hill? It's just that, at the Western edge of Eurasia, it tends to get expressed as an East/West divide since there aren't as many major groups to the west.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sullat posted:

Isn't more of the general tendency to think that those assholes on the other side of the hill are a lot more decadent/savage/arrogant than the people on your side of the hill? It's just that, at the Western edge of Eurasia, it tends to get expressed as an East/West divide since there aren't as many major groups to the west.

Yeah it's not like Romans invented it or the East/West thing is unique. There is a specific thing about easterners but fundamentally it's the same human tendency to otherize everyone and think the dude from over there is weird because he's different.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In terms of orientalism, I know that Egypt was a big fad for a while, particularly with mystery religions. It was like India in the '60s. Or today, since "Eat Pray Love" was a thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well hey, the Pyramids are mad impressive now. Consider how crazy they were 2000 years ago and in much better shape so that the stone coating practically shined.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

An oriental mystery cult...

like Christianity?? :smug:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah pretty much. There's an extent to which orientalism gets imposed backwards, but by it's critics and it's supporters. Well, not supporters, per say, the people the critics of orientalism are criticizing.

Of course I'm the nut in the group here who thinks that the Ottomans Romanized enough to be considered a legit xth Rome so what do I know?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

"When Constantine legalized Christianity, the Roman Empire was irreversibly tainted by oriental decadence!" -- Edward Gibbon (OK, not really)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

cheerfullydrab posted:

Joking aside, it's no coincidence that Christianity incorporated tons of mystery elements from other (oriental) mystery cults, because that poo poo was popular for centuries in one way or another and many who became influential in the Christian church(es) brought elements with them. The whole Eucharist thing is pretty straight lifted out of the Osiris cult for example.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Wanna talk about Romans and kingship. I was reading Suetonius' Twelve Caesars, and right at the beginning there's this big for Caesar:

quote:

During his quaestorship he pronounced funeral orations from the rostra, according to custom, in praise of his aunt Julia, and his wife Cornelia. In the panegyric on his aunt, he gives the following account of her own and his father's genealogy, on both sides: "My aunt Julia derived her descent, by the mother, from a race of kings, and by her father, from the Immortal Gods. For the Marcii Reges, her mother's family, deduce their pedigree from Ancus Marcius, and the Julii, her father's, from Venus; of which stock we are a branch. We therefore unite in our descent the sacred majesty of kings, the chiefest among men, and the divine majesty of Gods, to whom kings themselves are subject."
It's the first time I've ever encountered a Roman source using some link with royalty as a positive, almost legitimising factor. This really doesn't jive with what I've generally learned in the past about the Roman view of Kings - that they were distrusted and disapproved of, and that there was a near hysterical fear of various people trying to re-establish the Kingship. When we take the idea of the Roman views on monarchy, is the general idea of "they hated it and everything to do with it" too simplistic? What other clues and sources do we have that illustrate their own opinions on the matter?

Obviously not long after Caesar they did have a monarchy again in all but name - how did they square that away internally? "Oh well they don't call themselves Kings, so it's alright"? Or had the shine worn so thoroughly off of Roman republicanism by all of its failings, that the prospect of monarchy didn't seem so offensive anymore?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I think you have to take that bit with a grain of salt, If I recall correctly, the view of the Kings like hereditary figures and abusive of their powers were a thing of the Tarquinius, the earlier kings, the last one was precisely Ancus Marcius, were elected by the Curiate Assembly and one their main characteristic was their supreme religious authority and their sacred status. Look at this other translation of the same paragraph:

quote:

Our stock therefore has at once the sanctity of kings, whose power is supreme among mortal men, and the claim to reverence which attaches to the Gods, who hold sway over kings themselves."

So, if Kings are chief among men, but are subjected to the Gods, but at the same time the Julii descended from a Goddess, it made them superior to Kings. Pretty much an indirect way to exalt the prestige of his own family.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The Latin is this:
“Amitae meae Iuliae maternum genus ab regibus ortum, paternum cum diis inmortalibus coniunctum est. nam ab Anco Marcio sunt Marcii Reges, quo nomine fuit mater; a Venere Iulii, cuius gentis familia est nostra. est ergo in genere et sanctitas regum, qui plurimum inter homines pollent, et caerimonia deorum, quorum ipsi in potestate sunt reges.”

If I did a literalist translation it would come out as something like this:

"The family of my aunt Julia on the maternal side came from a line of kings; on the paternal side it was united with the immortal gods. For the Marcii Reges are descended from Ancus Marcius - whose name her mother had - while the Julii are descended from Venus and our family is of her line. Therefore there is in our line both the sanctity of kings, who have the greatest dignity among men, and the holiness of the gods, in whose power even the kings themselves are held."

sanctitas and caerimonia do sound a strongly religious note in the eulogy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Keep in mind that there were never NOT emperors of Rome in Suetonius' lifetime. Tarquins are bad, yes, but the other kings did good stuff and Suetonius is living in a time of supreme monarchs, so he can't be TOO down on kings.

We will never know whether Caesar actually said that--given the ancient approach to history, it's a good bet that he didn't--but it's a thing somebody (Suetonius or somebody he copied) might want to put in his mouth. His clementia (mercy) was famous and infamous, and from Caesar onward it became a "standard" virtue of good leaders.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

The kings were part of Roman history. So like even though the French are pretty devout to their republican ideals, they can still also obsess over the legacy of Louis XIV. It's not a contradiction if you don't think of it in stupid absolute ways.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's also a pretty good way of saying "my family has been prominent since the beginning, and ergo better than yours. By extension, I am more important than you, do as I say."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oberleutnant posted:

Obviously not long after Caesar they did have a monarchy again in all but name - how did they square that away internally? "Oh well they don't call themselves Kings, so it's alright"? Or had the shine worn so thoroughly off of Roman republicanism by all of its failings, that the prospect of monarchy didn't seem so offensive anymore?

My understanding is it was a combination of denial and fatigue. Augustus never called himself Emperor or publicly claimed to rule Rome, he was simply "serving" the people of Rome as a guiding figure at the grateful behest of the Senate (who probably both feared the implications of not backing him and were terrified of the idea of the chaos that could ensue without a firm guiding hand). For the people of Rome, decades (centuries?) of Civil War and disruptions to the grain supply and mobs running the streets etc had come to an end with Augustus' victory over Antonius, so as long as the streets were peaceful and their bellies were full they really didn't give a poo poo if some guy was ruling them in all but name.

Proscriptions and Civil War had killed or permanently exiled or cowed most of the Senators who were willing to stand up and make a fuss, those left were survivors or "new men" who weren't about to throw away whatever status they had left going up against the guy who had successfully defeated one of the most celebrated soldiers of their era, and who did after all have a family connection to that exalted (now made divine by Augustus' command) bloodline of the Julii.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I like to think the modern equivalent to how the principate system would be viewed would be like central asian dictatorships. "President" of a democracy, but always wins 110% of the popular vote.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Berke Negri posted:

I like to think the modern equivalent to how the principate system would be viewed would be like central asian dictatorships. "President" of a democracy, but always wins 110% of the popular vote.

Nah, it would be more like that dictator being simultaneously the president, the prime minister, the chief justice, the minister of education, the chief of police, dog catcher, etc.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Install Windows posted:

Nah, it would be more like that dictator being simultaneously the president, the prime minister, the chief justice, the minister of education, the chief of police, dog catcher, etc.

Well, Augustus in particular was a long accumulation of titles. Sort of like if FDR was president, then made vice president, then speaker of the house and then chief justice and solicitor general and etc. To the average Roman (who knows) this was a gradual thing and they either didnt care, or did but the civil wars had gone on so long would it really make a difference? Augustus ruled for like, almost half a century? By then no one knew any different and going back to the republican system would have meant more civil war. Not like that system was too different. Augustus just really streamlined it all. The republican system was probably inadequete for a pan-Mediterranean empire by that point anyways. Theres a reason why a less adequate older empire divided up, an empire of that size was probably never sustainable without modern communication technology.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Berke Negri posted:

China (of all places) has a system with somewhat similar elements : the paramount leader is the guy who's the General Secretary of the Communist Party and the Chairman of the Central Military Commission and the President of the PRC. Although it's also more of an oligarchy these days to prevent someone from starting a Mao-style personality cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

Well, Augustus in particular was a long accumulation of titles. Sort of like if FDR was president, then made vice president, then speaker of the house and then chief justice and solicitor general and etc. To the average Roman (who knows) this was a gradual thing and they either didnt care, or did but the civil wars had gone on so long would it really make a difference? Augustus ruled for like, almost half a century? By then no one knew any different and going back to the republican system would have meant more civil war. Not like that system was too different. Augustus just really streamlined it all. The republican system was probably inadequete for a pan-Mediterranean empire by that point anyways. Theres a reason why a less adequate older empire divided up, an empire of that size was probably never sustainable without modern communication technology.

Didn't the conspirators who assassinated Caligula want to restore the Republic? But as you said, no one would have remembered a system apart from the Principate. You'd have to go back to people's grandfathers, and even then they'd have only been kids by the time the Republic was well and truly finished (if my maths is in the least bit correct).