Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I gotta rewatch this thing when I'm slightly more awake. I had no idea who most of the characters were (Two pivotal characters named after chess pieces, one of which went by a third name professionally, both of whom we were probably meant to remember from the old show and neither was actually alive in more than a few seconds of footage? What?), and the Samsung bullshit must have funded half the film. Also, Logan looked loving ridiculous when he first turned up in that uniform, but that passed after a bit. He wasn't harsh enough though.

I don't think I felt comfortable with it for the first bit, then Veronica picked up the phone in Keith's office and holy poo poo it's 2004 again. "Yes Ma'am, we will take pictures but 'shooting the sonavabitch' is not a service we currently offer".

<--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Stonefish posted:

I gotta rewatch this thing when I'm slightly more awake. I had no idea who most of the characters were (Two pivotal characters named after chess pieces, one of which went by a third name professionally, both of whom we were probably meant to remember from the old show and neither was actually alive in more than a few seconds of footage? What?), and the Samsung bullshit must have funded half the film. Also, Logan looked loving ridiculous when he first turned up in that uniform, but that passed after a bit. He wasn't harsh enough though.

I don't think I felt comfortable with it for the first bit, then Veronica picked up the phone in Keith's office and holy poo poo it's 2004 again. "Yes Ma'am, we will take pictures but 'shooting the sonavabitch' is not a service we currently offer".

<--

I actually really liked that Logan showed up in uniform, because it was both a great way to show that he had straightened up but it didn't change who he was at the core, just made him more responsible. Showing up dressed like that is a very Logan thing to do, but having earned the right to dress like that wasn't.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I remember those two characters pretty vividly because I had just finished watching the first season. Carrie Bishop and Susan Knight were the two girls involved in the episode that featured Adam Scott as the history teacher. Carrie Bishop accused him of having an affair with her but then Veronica (convinced of his innocence) was able to prove her wrong. Turns out that it was SUSAN that had the affair with him and ended up pregnant. She was reluctant to come forward so Carrie did it. Carrie was originally played by another actress, so that could be causing some confusion too.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Oh right. I thought I remembered Knight (Sweet Knees), but I didn't get that both of them were from the same single episode. For a show with so many recurring characters, I didn't expect them to go back to the same barrel twice, let alone one character who only appeared in the final moments of the episode (if memory serves) and the prominent one who they didn't have the actress for.

Logan's welcome to do the military thing. I'm just saying he looked loving weird in it. If he looked any more different, I'd have thought he was having weevil-esque medical problems or they re-cast the role or something (not that they would).
But yeah, it passed as soon as he was back in normal clothes. Everyone else looked mostly the same. Dick Casablancas set the bar pretty loving high for Not Aging.

"Spanning years and continents. Lives ruined, blood shed." was already a wonderful line, if a little dramatic for an eighteen year old. Calling back to it now thoroughly vindicates it and makes it all the more powerful. I couldn't ask for a better end to this chapter, although it definitely leaves space for more.

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 18, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Stonefish posted:

Oh right. I thought I remembered Knight (Sweet Knees), but I didn't get that both of them were from the same single episode. For a show with so many recurring characters, I didn't expect them to go back to the same barrel twice, let alone one character who only appeared in the final moments of the episode (if memory serves) and the prominent one who they didn't have the actress for.

Oh come on, that's unfair criticism. They need two characters to be murdered for the plot to work, and they needed them to be friends and also hang out with 09ers. Can you really think of two other established people from Neptune High that could possibly have been a better fit than those two?

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
You're assuming they needed to find existing characters to fit the new plot, not new plot to fit the existing characters.
Anyway, it's minor. Like I said, I watched it after being awake for 24 hours, so there are probably plenty of elements I missed that tied it all together.

They did a pretty good job of setting up the old generation and the new in season 1. I wonder if we can get Lily Kane II in a few years... on the other hand, that'd have to involve bringing back Donut.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Stonefish posted:

Logan's welcome to do the military thing. I'm just saying he looked loving weird in it.

That uniform did seem a couple sizes too big when we first saw him. It reminded me of David Byrne's big suit.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

howe_sam posted:

That uniform did seem a couple sizes too big when we first saw him. It reminded me of David Byrne's big suit.
I got my choker whites when I was in NROTC, and pretty much never tailored or altered them throughout my time in the Navy, despite fluctuating in weight between 170 and 205 over 8+ years. Sometimes they'd seem perfect, sometimes a little tight, other times a little loose.

He wore it fine. I don't think it was the uniform, I think it was him that made it look odd. He just changed since the show, took a bit of the movie to get used to non-boyish Logan.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

howe_sam posted:

I had the exact same though. That's why I actually thought he was joking at first. It looked a lot better at the end, but that was probably due to lighting.

Stonefish posted:

on the other hand, that'd have to involve bringing back Donut.

Ugh. Him not being mentioned once was my favourite part of the movie.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
It doesn't help that Carrie Bishop was played by Leighton Meester of Gossip Girl fame in the TV series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They also bring up the episode with Adam Scott as they mention that Susan Knight drank and did drugs due to having to give up her kid for adoption.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

As someone who has literally never watched an episode of the show, I really enjoyed the movie. I was relieved that they spent the first five minutes providing background for people like me so I wasn't completely lost watching it.

Gave me a good enough reason to start watching the series from the beginning at least.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Handsome Ralph posted:

As someone who has literally never watched an episode of the show, I really enjoyed the movie. I was relieved that they spent the first five minutes providing background for people like me so I wasn't completely lost watching it.

Gave me a good enough reason to start watching the series from the beginning at least.

Oh you're in for such a treat :allears: I wish I could rewatch the series knowing nothing, too.

Can you tell us more what you thought about the movie, because you might be the only person in this thread who had never watched VM before. I'm sure everyone else is interested as well

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Twee as gently caress posted:

Oh you're in for such a treat :allears: I wish I could rewatch the series knowing nothing, too.

Can you tell us more what you thought about the movie, because you might be the only person in this thread who had never watched VM before. I'm sure everyone else is interested as well

Sure thing. My fiance dragged me along with her friend and her husband, and I was apprehensive prior to the movie starting because the theater was mostly filled with women/girls and I was like one of 15 guys in attendance. Not necessarily a bad thing but it made me concerned that my fiance had duped me into watching Crime Twilight or something.

Anyhow, after seeing who created the show/movie (I really loved Party Down), I was relived since I figured it would at worst just be a boring but occasionally entertaining movie considering the people involved and the creator behind it.

Anyhow, I will say the "mystery" was a bit by the numbers (obvious first act suspect is red herring, second act is Veronica struggling with some kind of demon or whatever, etc), but it was enjoyable enough as a kind of noir story and not super predictable (except for the sniper bit, I kind of saw that coming as soon as one of the characters mentioned the guy read guns and ammo in high school, so I figured that's where it would go next since they also just finished explaining he lived across the street overlooking Gia's(?) apartment ).

If I had any major complaints about the plot, it'd be the whole Weevil getting shot subplot. I get why it was done (to show the sheriffs dept. as corrupt and why Keith was going after them). It just felt like it was oddly resolved and kind of fizzled away after the main plot picked up again. Beyond that, the only other thing that went over my head were obvious nods or references to super fans of the show that I would obviously have no clue about.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty solid mystery/story, with the occasional faults but nothing that completely detracts from it being enjoyable. It gave me a reason to start watching the series from the beginning, so hey, the kickstarter worked I guess.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
That was pretty interesting. What did you find boring, exactly? I imagine that most of the things you found boring you'll find interesting once you know the characters/setting.

Now please do us a huge favor and in two weeks when you've bingewatched the whole three seasons, take a shower, watch the movie again and tell us how you feel about us then (trust me you'll want to watch it a second time by the time you finish the third season)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah, I didn't find anything boring (that was just my initial assessment upon seeing who was behind the movie/series that it was the worst case scenario for myself, that the movie could be boring for me due to me not having seen the show before). It wasn't at all and I thought it was pretty well paced and solidly written, especially for someone new to the series.

Once I finish the series, I'll give it another watch and see if my opinion holds up. I doubt it will change aside from getting all the callbacks and references.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
That's fascinating. I assumed, because of how much the callbacks colored my enjoyment of the movie, anyone unfamiliar with the franchise wouldn't enjoy the movie.

Congratulations on your conversion! You can probably just save yourself the trouble and not bother with the third season.

Actually, honest question, besides the introduction to Piz, what did we really need to know from season 3 for the movie? It's been a while since I've re-watched that season.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, I didn't find anything boring (that was just my initial assessment upon seeing who was behind the movie/series that it was the worst case scenario for myself, that the movie could be boring for me due to me not having seen the show before). It wasn't at all and I thought it was pretty well paced and solidly written, especially for someone new to the series.

Once I finish the series, I'll give it another watch and see if my opinion holds up. I doubt it will change aside from getting all the callbacks and references.

Going from the movie to Season 1 Episode 1 will be an amazing transition.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zypher posted:

That's fascinating. I assumed, because of how much the callbacks colored my enjoyment of the movie, anyone unfamiliar with the franchise wouldn't enjoy the movie.

Congratulations on your conversion! You can probably just save yourself the trouble and not bother with the third season.

Actually, honest question, besides the introduction to Piz, what did we really need to know from season 3 for the movie? It's been a while since I've re-watched that season.

The video and her ruining her relationships with everyone. They also ignored the election at the end of the season.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zypher posted:

Sets up a bit about Weevil, Logan, and Piz. A little bit of Wallace, Keith, Lamb...

It CAN be skipped, but probably shouldn't. Just because it's not S1/S2 standards doesn't mean it's crap.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Zypher posted:

Ignore anyone who says that. Season 3 had a major change of setting and format due to network fuckery + having to graduate, but it's most definitely enjoyable with plenty of great moments.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

LesterGroans posted:

Ugh. Him not being mentioned once was my favourite part of the movie.

People say Donut was terribly bland and badly acted, but I say Deputy Blanderson (Leo D'amato) was way worse on both counts. And he didn't get much better over time.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Stonefish posted:

People say Donut was terribly bland and badly acted, but I say Deputy Blanderson (Leo D'amato) was way worse on both counts. And he didn't get much better over time.

Now you're defending Donut AND hating on Leo? The whole loving thread is gonna turn on you.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Please. Second Worst and Worst.

I wasn't big on Vinnie either, but "I'm the reason that people know Anne Hathaway has a vagina" is just so delightfully retarded.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Stonefish posted:

Logan's welcome to do the military thing. I'm just saying he looked loving weird in it. If he looked any more different, I'd have thought he was having weevil-esque medical problems or they re-cast the role or something (not that they would).
But yeah, it passed as soon as he was back in normal clothes.
He looked like a kid wearing his daddy's clothes in that get up

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
They were ill-fitting as gently caress, yes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Stonefish posted:

I disagree completely. Deputy, sorry, Detective Leo came off pretty charming in the movie and I think Schmidt's a fine actor.

Also, not being "big" on Vinnie Van Lowe just instantly makes you a crazy person.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Feenix posted:

They were ill-fitting as gently caress, yes.

Ill-fitting as gently caress and he was wearing the wrong uniform (Service Dress Whites at an airport, what the gently caress?).

I think I found my one gripe with the movie guys! :mil101:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wasn't he coming from somewhere else and didn't have time to change?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ill-fitting as gently caress and he was wearing the wrong uniform (Service Dress Whites at an airport, what the gently caress?).

I think I found my one gripe with the movie guys! :mil101:

I just figured Naval bases in southern Cali would just be all "sure yeah wear SDWs instead of SDBs to the airport, it's like 85 loving degrees out there".

And I maintain that it's hard as hell to get a perfect fit in a dress uniform. You buy them to look cool, and you only buy ONE PAIR until you hit O-4 level. So if you change weight, it won't fit great. But it's a goddamn uniform so you still look styling.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My new headcanon is thus:

-Woody somehow survived and had reconstructive surgery.
-Gia survived, moved to New York and changed her name to Chloe.

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Mu Zeta posted:

Wasn't he coming from somewhere else and didn't have time to change?

Yeah he said something about meeting with the JAG office before meeting with her.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

[/spoiler]
If I had any major complaints about the plot, it'd be the whole Weevil getting shot subplot. I get why it was done (to show the sheriffs dept. as corrupt and why Keith was going after them). It just felt like it was oddly resolved and kind of fizzled away after the main plot picked up again. Beyond that, the only other thing that went over my head were obvious nods or references to super fans of the show that I would obviously have no clue about.
[/spoiler]
I think we'd all be complaining about that, too, if it wasn't resolved just well enough to be going on with, but not nearly enough, so now the next movie or miniseries can focus entirely on that plot. High School's over. Ronnie Mars is home. Time to tackle some adult problems.

Pander posted:

Going from the movie to Season 1 Episode 1 will be an amazing transition.
In that everybody will look exactly the same?

I know, I know. I'm just saying. These people haven't aged a day.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Loved the movie. Backed the Kickstarter, bought it on iTunes, caught it in theaters. I'm still kind of in disbelief that it got made and actually is a thing that exists.

Regarding the re-watch, I might be alone in this, but I think season 2 was better than season 1, and season 3 was better than season 2. I think the change in format helped the show a lot: The cast of characters are more interesting when they aren't continually being cockblocked by parents and teachers because they're in high-school. I also liked Piz and Parker just fine. They served admirably as foils to the rest of the people that had been there two seasons. People bitch about them being boring, but not every character in the show needs to be embroiled in three high profile murder cases over the course of their arc. Having some "normal" people to bounce off of throws guys like Dick and Logan into much-needed relief. And they had distinct enough personalities to be endearing in their own right. Parker suffered a bit by throwing in with the feminist goon squad, but I thought she really shined as the one genuinely upbeat, outgoing, happy and more-or-less well-adjusted person in the series. A reminder that Neptune skulduggery doesn't turn everyone into either a sociopath or extensively damaged goods. Some people bounce back.

Also: Mumbly-rear end Deputy Leo is one of my favorite bit players (enough that he was the sole reason I started watching New Girl) and Sheriff Lamb getting loving domed :black101: was one of the series highlights for me. I thought it was a fitting end to his character arc. Actually a more fitting end would have been having someone make a crack about him needing to ask the wizard for some brains after he got his bashed right the gently caress out, but I'll take what I can get.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Also: Mumbly-rear end Deputy Leo is one of my favorite bit players (enough that he was the sole reason I started watching New Girl) and Sheriff Lamb getting loving domed :black101: was one of the series highlights for me. I thought it was a fitting end to his character arc. Actually a more fitting end would have been having someone make a crack about him needing to ask the wizard for some brains after he got his bashed right the gently caress out, but I'll take what I can get.

Regarding Sheriff Lamb: I was honestly kinda bummed when he died. Whereas in the movie his brother is more or less a caricature of corruption, has zero redeeming qualities and is pretty much straight evil, the original Lamb still managed to do the right thing every now and then. His fault was in wanting to be famous for his job and often he would let that guide his decisions. His older brother is solely in the job for the power it provides. You can tell the younger Lamb had an inferiority complex, which in my opinion gave him a little more depth. I thought it was really unfortunate that he died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

Regarding Sheriff Lamb: I was honestly kinda bummed when he died. Whereas in the movie his brother is more or less a caricature of corruption, has zero redeeming qualities and is pretty much straight evil, the original Lamb still managed to do the right thing every now and then. His fault was in wanting to be famous for his job and often he would let that guide his decisions. His older brother is solely in the job for the power it provides. You can tell the younger Lamb had an inferiority complex, which in my opinion gave him a little more depth. I thought it was really unfortunate that he died.

I hated him until the episode in which you find out about Meg's batshit insane family His responce to that showed that he was a human underneath it all. The comment from the first episode was still undefensable, but he still had some decent qualities. His brother not so much. It was also intresting who they had in the RIP video. I was shocked that the first one was not Lily, and wondered if who they did have had connections with future storylines/current. I also wonder how long that thing was, since they had so many deaths in that class. The only one longer would be a Sunnydale one.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

bobkatt013 posted:

I hated him until the episode in which you find out about Meg's batshit insane family His responce to that showed that he was a human underneath it all. The comment from the first episode was still undefensable, but he still had some decent qualities. His brother not so much. It was also intresting who they had in the RIP video. I was shocked that the first one was not Lily, and wondered if who they did have had connections with future storylines/current. I also wonder how long that thing was, since they had so many deaths in that class. The only one longer would be a Sunnydale one.

Lily was actually a year ahead of Veronica.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
The thing that weirded me out the most was that Dan Lamb is the OLDER brother of Don Lamb. Jerry O'Connell is old. I am old.

Also that Veronica has sniper like aim with her mace as she's running away at high speed.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Lily was actually a year ahead of Veronica.

But her boyfriend, her other boyfriend, her best friend, and her brother were all in that class. She should have rated a mention probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

But her boyfriend, her other boyfriend, her best friend, and her brother were all in that class. She should have rated a mention probably.

Everyone loved her so she should be the first one mentioned every year!

• Locked thread