Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

In fairness, this is precisely why first line tech support is so frustrating to call when you're experienced. The people behind the scenes have figured out that most of the callers are stupid and haven't done the basic steps yet, and so they now refuse to go any further until it's confirmed to have been done.

To be fair, it's pretty hard to tell when someone actually did the steps or is just saying "yep, I did all that, I totally rebooted too. Like three or four times" Some of them have called so many times and know the steps, but are lazy and don't actually want to do them and just want <the thing> replaced. At least at my job which is in-house help desk.

Then there are the ones who just start unplugging poo poo without bothering to call at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RFC2324 posted:

We have an issue with a handful of our mission criticals constantly throwing false positives on power supplies. One of them, a core NIS server, has had both power supplies and the system board replaced, yet keeps insisting it has a failed power supply.

loving HPs.

I had almost the opposite of that happen with an HP ProLiant for a client - our monitoring system is set up to send us alerts to email and even a text message by phone if something goes wrong in an environment. In this case, we got several notices, that one of the power supplies was completely dead. I called one of the on site techs to see if he could check it out, he confirmed the green LED was out on the faulty supply. Pulled the supply, took a quick snap of the label, reconnected it but still no dice.

Called HP on it, had all the info and told them what I found. They connected to the server, and their management software showed both power supplies were on and active. :crossarms: I let them know the supply has been confirmed dead (yes, I lied a bit and told them I was on site looking at it, no green LED, been re-seated, etc) and they keep pushing back like it's a good unit and it's a false alarm. So I ask if it could be a problem with the management software, maybe a bug or glitch that needs an update. They check it out, and sure enough, the server software is a couple revisions behind, so they update it. BAM, after the update, the power supply shows faulty, I send them the serial info and they agree to send out a new unit. What a loving waste of time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Honestly, that's out first thing we do now. Bad PSU? Update the firmware and see if it consists. We only have HP servers so we're used to that bullshit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I was remoted to a laptop today installing a printer when suddenly the laptop drops off the network. It was right around 4:00 so I figure the user was probably leaving and shut off the laptop out of habit, and I send them an email to let me know when the laptop was back on the network so I could finish the install. About 10 minutes later I get an email back from the user. They were trying to put a memory card into the laptop's SD slot but it wasn't fitting right, so they pulled the card back out and when they did that the laptop shut itself off and a little bit of smoke came out of the card slot. But now they'd powered the laptop back up and it seemed to be okay so I could continue with the printer install.

Needless to say that laptop is on its way back to me tonight, and tomorrow I get to try to figure out how you mess up plugging in an SD card so bad you blow a capacitor. The only thing I can think is they have some Sony equipment in the office so maybe they were trying to plug in a Memory Stick instead, but I still don't see how you could do that in such a way to complete a circuit and pop something.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
:downs: I wrapped it in foil so the files don't fall out! :downs:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Knormal posted:

So I was remoted to a laptop today installing a printer when suddenly the laptop drops off the network. It was right around 4:00 so I figure the user was probably leaving and shut off the laptop out of habit, and I send them an email to let me know when the laptop was back on the network so I could finish the install. About 10 minutes later I get an email back from the user. They were trying to put a memory card into the laptop's SD slot but it wasn't fitting right, so they pulled the card back out and when they did that the laptop shut itself off and a little bit of smoke came out of the card slot. But now they'd powered the laptop back up and it seemed to be okay so I could continue with the printer install.

Needless to say that laptop is on its way back to me tonight, and tomorrow I get to try to figure out how you mess up plugging in an SD card so bad you blow a capacitor. The only thing I can think is they have some Sony equipment in the office so maybe they were trying to plug in a Memory Stick instead, but I still don't see how you could do that in such a way to complete a circuit and pop something.
My guess would be static. Any time you can plug something in you are at risk of a discharge. Hell, the motherboard on my computer got static fried once when I plugged my headphones in.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Potato Alley posted:

So all in all, I like them a lot, but I wish they'd fix the last little bits and release software faster.

I feel like this about all the Ubiquiti stuff. Love the UniFi gear, but the software, what the hell? It installs under the user account appdata and not as a service? They really, really need to sort that out, manually having to set that in a sane folder is a mess, because the updater always assumes it's in your user's appdata folder.

Shame, because once you're up, it's by far the best stuff for the money.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Well, I did it. I'm now the new helldesk team lead.
" :yotj: "

...what have I done?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...what have I done?

Did you get a big enough pay rise to compensate for all the extra whisky you'll be drinking?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...what have I done?

Are you the team lead or the supervisor? Being the top helldesk person is rarely ever a thing to be excited about. Usually means you have ascended the rank of "most overqualified".

Being the supervisor on the other hand is a chance for managment experience which could come in handy if you wanted to go down the shameless, soulless path of IT leadership.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Honestly, that's out first thing we do now. Bad PSU? Update the firmware and see if it consists. We only have HP servers so we're used to that bullshit.

Serious, hp firmware is a loving mystery sometimes. A server sitting with a static config for years could all of a sudden have memory issues and upgrading the firmware fixes it. Doesn't make any loving sense.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sickening posted:

Serious, hp firmware is a loving mystery sometimes. A server sitting with a static config for years could all of a sudden have memory issues and upgrading the firmware fixes it. Doesn't make any loving sense.

Even better when it's the iLO firmware that does that (like the false temp alarms in iLO3 1.57).

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even better when it's the iLO firmware that does that (like the false temp alarms in iLO3 1.57).

Ahh, yes. Good ole integrated Lights On management. Not as bad at JetDirect firmware for the 4200 series though. Those are a nightmare.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This. I have a 2100TN that is loving indestructible.

Everyone in the Contract/Procurement department at my site has a LaserJet 4000 on their desk. They print faster and better quality than the spare 1505 that I hooked up in my office.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

dogstile posted:

Did you get a big enough pay rise to compensate for all the extra whisky you'll be drinking?
Oh yeah.

Sickening posted:

Are you the team lead or the supervisor? Being the top helldesk person is rarely ever a thing to be excited about. Usually means you have ascended the rank of "most overqualified".

Being the supervisor on the other hand is a chance for managment experience which could come in handy if you wanted to go down the shameless, soulless path of IT leadership.
Supervisor. I should land the actual "manager" title in 6-8 months if they like what I've done with the team.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A toner cartridge came in...

So our front desk lady comes in and asks if we can use toner. A company in our building is moving out and apparently is purging their stuff. She hands over an HP 5500/5550 OEM toner. I tell her sure, we'll take all we can get. I start looking up on Craigslist what the 5500/5550 toner goes for when a guy with a handtruck comes in. Three OEM HP toners, two remanufactured. The boxes have never been opened, the zip top things are untouched and intact.

Turns out full sets of this toner go for upwards of $800-$1000 on Ebay.

I figure I can't command as high a price since a full set would be all three HPs and the one remanufactured, and I list them for $600.

They sold literally 30 seconds later. :stare:

Just after I finish jumping up and down they bring in another reman'd toner and an HP 8100 OEM cartridge.

Time to get that Suntory Hibiki I've been wanting to try!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lum posted:

At the behest of my boss I am now basically trolling our slow and overly bureaucratic head office IT department.

I'm a full time home worker, and asked boss if I could claim for a new toner cartridge on expenses. Told him that the only place I could find one was ebay as it's quite an old printer. When he saw how old he told me to put a ticket in and see what head office make of it.

The printer: A 1993 vintage HP Laserjet 4Si, from the days when HP were a printer company, not an ink company!

Well, it turned out to be less funny than anticipated.

They punted it out to two suppliers, one of which is bloody Computacentre, both of whom couldn't get one, then they offered to buy me a new printer.

I turned the offer down and instead got a new sealed unopened cartridge for £18.50 onn eBay.

Fun thing with these LJ4 cartridges is they claim to have a lifetime warranty, where lifetime is until the toner runs out, I wonder if HP will still honour it?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

NerdsMcGee posted:

Ahh, yes. Good ole integrated Lights On management. Not as bad at JetDirect firmware for the 4200 series though. Those are a nightmare.

I don't get the iLO hate. Out of all the lights out poo poo i've delt with, iLO is far better than Drac or ilom/alom.

I am now on a call explaining to a project manager that while, yes, I am a very good and gifted engineer, even I am not good enough to set up servers without disk.

I am also going to explain to this same PM that yes, servers need to have dual redundant power supplies before they can go into support, and no, its not a good idea to skimp on that. I found out that none of this set had redundant power supplies when one i was working on let the magic smoke out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I came across a server that appeared to have redundant power supplies, but the cables from each of the PSUs went into some kind of Y-connector so they were both actually plugged into the same outlet.

:psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector_666 posted:

I came across a server that appeared to have redundant power supplies, but the cables from each of the PSUs went into some kind of Y-connector so they were both actually plugged into the same outlet.

That's hilarious. I love those Y cables.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Lum posted:

Well, it turned out to be less funny than anticipated.

They punted it out to two suppliers, one of which is bloody Computacentre, both of whom couldn't get one, then they offered to buy me a new printer.

I turned the offer down and instead got a new sealed unopened cartridge for £18.50 onn eBay.

Fun thing with these LJ4 cartridges is they claim to have a lifetime warranty, where lifetime is until the toner runs out, I wonder if HP will still honour it?

You can try it! But you better have that Lifetime warranty in writing.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Inspector_666 posted:

A few jobs ago we had a server with redundant power, but the server room was on a single circuit because small business, yay! I ended up installing two UPS's that were fed by the same main and plugging a PSU into each of them.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

RadicalR posted:

You can try it! But you better have that Lifetime warranty in writing.

It's printed in the little manual that comes with the cartridges.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Lum posted:

It's printed in the little manual that comes with the cartridges.

Better check the fine print. I bet they have something like "Offer is valid until we decide it is no longer valid."

From a google search, it appears that HP will throw a stink if you try to do it.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Inspector_666 posted:

Some people just only care about redundancy when it comes to power supply failures; they don't care enough to to invest in redundant power as well.

But then that comes around to people not thinking/caring enough for proper investment such as proper backups.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

GreenNight posted:

That's hilarious. I love those Y cables.

It's my second-favorite when they are both plugged into the same UPS.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Building on the PSU chat, this did actually happen to my company a couple of weeks ago. One of our servers hosted in a colo somehow had one of the PSUs removed by a tech there, and the other one had its UPS switched off. We weren't notified because they didn't know it was missing a PSU. Bye bye server, corrupted mail stores, 12 hour downtime etc. Fun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Building on the PSU chat, this did actually happen to my company a couple of weeks ago. One of our servers hosted in a colo somehow had one of the PSUs removed by a tech there, and the other one had its UPS switched off. We weren't notified because they didn't know it was missing a PSU. Bye bye server, corrupted mail stores, 12 hour downtime etc. Fun.

I don't even know how this would happen. Who takes a cpu out of a server that is still racked? Who leaves the thing racked after doing so. Who doesn't check the documentation first?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I don't even know how this would happen. Who takes a cpu out of a server that is still racked? Who leaves the thing racked after doing so. Who doesn't check the documentation first?
PSU != CPU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nexxai posted:

PSU != CPU

Yeah... that does change a few things. Still, loving with a power a rack is even worse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NerdsMcGee posted:

Ahhhhh JetDirect Flashbacks!!!!! :supaburn:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nexxai posted:

Just a quick shout-out to Ubiquiti for their magical UniFi series of devices. I had 10 APs configured and working around our office in under 30 minutes (including walking time). Goddamn, why can't all hardware be this easy to setup?

I have some of the Pros in my house and after going through the initial learning-how-different-company-does-things stuff, I agree. These things are pretty awesome. And the management utility thing works pretty well (but it's java-based. Boo!) but I wish the controller could be run as a service. Apparently it has been possible since v2.2. Who knew?

I had the machine that ran the service roll over and die on me, but installing java on a new VM, redirecting the shortcut to point to the proper location for javaw.exe and restoring configuration settings from backup and I was back up in minutes. Yay!

Potato Alley posted:

Also, the fact that the controller doesn't do SNMP and the APs only do basic SNMP v1 and don't seem to offer the stats on clients / traffic through SNMP is rather annoying for an "enterprise" system.

Seriously this. Who builds an enterprise system without SNMP support? People have been clamoring for this capability for years now.

I use SNMP counters on the switch port to monitor traffic on each AP, but it would be nice to be able to monitor client counts and stuff like that.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 19, 2014

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ahhhhh JetDirect Flashbacks!!!!! :supaburn:

I'm sorry for bringing up bad memo---

ERROR 49.4c02

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm sorry for bringing up bad memo---

ERROR 49.4c02

Oh go to hell. You go to hell right goddamn now.

edit: So now I'm having a full-on JetDirect over IPX/SPX PTSD episode.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lightning Jim posted:

Some people just only care about redundancy when it comes to power supply failures; they don't care enough to to invest in redundant power as well.
Even if you don't have true redundant power, you should have one PSU plugged into your UPS and the other bypassing the UPS. That way you don't lose all your servers when your UPS lets its magic blue smoke out.

And if you don't even have a UPS at least put them on different circuit breakers.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
At the risk of invoking more bad memories, what's this JetDirect you're talking about?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Sickening posted:

Yeah... that does change a few things. Still, loving with a power a rack is even worse.

I was actually wrong; we did have two PSUs but they were plugged into the same UPS :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

RadicalR posted:

At the risk of invoking more bad memories, what's this JetDirect you're talking about?

Network card/port for HP LaserJet printers and the like.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Today we found a pair of "redundant" UPSes that were both running at 55% load. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Modern built-in JetDirect isn't too bad. The old standalone boxes were the cause of much alcoholism.

UPS chat: We have a second level UPS for the Nagios server. The batteries failed and I found the AGM cells have swelled to the point where can't get the battery drawer out to replace them. :saddowns:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 19, 2014

• Locked thread