Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sei is pretty much exactly the engineer character in every Gundam. He does a ton of important logistic stuff in the background (though at least this show it's in the background and not off-camera), and other then that is kind of just there. More than that, Gundam characters are usually greatly influenced by their backstories. Sei has no drama in his backstory, comes from a stable family, has a girlfriend, is living his dream, and has a lot of friends. He has absolutely no reason to be dramatic, and well he isn't. Which unfortunately means he's pretty boring. Pretty much the most you can do with him is have him be the straight man, and well that's what BF has been doing.

There's also the aspect of "this is a shonen, where the only things more static than the characters are the hairstyles". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He took off his jacket over the course of the show.

I'm sure that counts as character development somehow.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

That's not really fair to Sei to say he hasn't "done anything." He's clearly the brains behind the fighting style that they've used and he's been instrumental for why they've won up to this point. He showed Reiji had to throw a baseball. He came up with the trick to almost win the race with the star build strike. He managed to get a big hit on Fellini while using the Chars counter attack trick. When fighting Nils he came up with the super glue idea. For Aila he loaded his shells with paint. Even his fight with Reiji demonstrates this. He shot the colony to make smoke to hide himself while charging in.

Without Sei co-piloting Reiji likely wouldn't have even made it to the finals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Sei is pretty much exactly the engineer character in every Gundam. He does a ton of important logistic stuff in the background (though at least this show it's in the background and not off-camera), and other then that is kind of just there. More than that, Gundam characters are usually determined by their backstories. Sei has no drama in his backstory, comes from a stable family, has a girlfriend, is living his dream, and has a lot of friends. He's completely well-adjusted, and unfortunately that means he's pretty boring. Pretty much the most you can do with him is have him be the straight man, and well that's what BF has been doing.

There's also the aspect of "this is a shonen show where the only things more static than the characters are the hairstyles". :v:

I think the problem I have with it is that even from a Shonen angle, there is a lot they could do with Sei that would be interesting.

Instead of the Star Build Strike being fully upgraded from the start, you could have him develop new gimmicks based on the opponents he fought which (coincidentally) give him an edge on his next opponent. It would be a bit deus ex machina but Deus Ex Machina in a way that really makes it feel like Sei is a big part of the team and justify all sorts of goofy minor upgrades to the Star Build. Just basically something that really makes it feel like him being the Ultimate Builder is a thing. I mean, hell, Yuuki has upgraded more in this tournament than Sei has.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of that, I actually really like the parallel in piloting styles between Reiji and Sei. Reiji is an inverse of the traditional Gundam MC; he's too-good-for-his-machine right off the bat, to the point that Sei just builds him the most ludicrously overspecced kit he can and just stares in awe when Reiji handles it perfectly. Meanwhile Sei is your average the-machine-pulls-him-through MC, but he makes it interesting with strategy honed from countless hours of playing video games watching anime. I imagine that if/when BF gets into SRW Reiji would just have ridiculous stats while Sei just has a ton of awesome skills and spirits.

ImpAtom posted:

Instead of the Star Build Strike being fully upgraded from the start, you could have him develop new gimmicks based on the opponents he fought which (coincidentally) give him an edge on his next opponent.

He kind of did this early on (we had the rapid progression from BS > Full Package > improved rifle > SBS), but they probably stopped there solely because Bandai can't really sell the same kit over and over with minor changes anymore. I think we're supposed to infer that he's been gradually improving RG mode since it's much more stable now, but overall we still haven't actually seen all of the SBS' tricks so there's no way they can just upgrade it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 18, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't forget it was Sei's idea to have China present the Crystal he got from Reiji to Aila as a "charm", which allowed them to have their little pseudo-newtype moment.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
I have to say, as far as cameos in this episode go subverting the inherent tragedy of 0080 and seeing Bernie, Chris, and Al together almost brought a tear to my eye. Build Fighters gives me the warm fuzzies.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a little disappointed that the vulcan Gyan's (Vulgyan's?) vulcans are not also shields. Caro's continued upgrading of her relationship to Nils is great.

Edit: Also I like that Sei doesn't have a particularly outlandish or noteworthy design, at least in terms of clothing. He's just a kid wearing kid clothes. No weird jodhpurs and arm bands with super anime hair. No upside down sunglasses and serious business coat. No "LOOK GUYS I'M A FARMER/SAMURAI/IDOL." Ramba Ral also gets points for looking like a 50 year old dad (at the age of 35), and Fellini looks fairly normal, if stylish, as well. And I liked that the guy from last episode was just a dude who showed up in what could easily just be his work clothes.

I have decided that season 2 needs to be the adventures of Sazaki.

Edit 2: This gag never gets old, now with the disapproving glare of Batou:

I love this episode. I have to go with the original Fenice over the Rinaschita, though. The battle damage just gave it that extra appeal. Plus the Rinaschita is clearly weaker. I mean it jobbed to a mediocre build Gerbera Tetra after all :v:.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 18, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How soon we forget "You hit me! Not even my father hit me!"

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

I have to say, as far as cameos in this episode go subverting the inherent tragedy of 0080 and seeing Bernie, Chris, and Al together almost brought a tear to my eye. Build Fighters gives me the warm fuzzies.

Exactly, I would also want to mention all the families in different series that was torn apart due to the war: Usho and his family, Domon and his family, and Cecily's. , watching them together in this episode make me quite content.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Oh man, this episode. It was all the happy endings for all the Gundam characters. Seeing Al, Chris, and Bernie and Haman and Mineva almost made me cry.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some part of me wonders if they're actually considering building a 1/1 Zaku statue.

They are building a 1/1 Zaku, Char's Red Commander Type. It's going to be on display at some amusement park in Japan. I think they're going to ultimately put it up next to the 1/1 Gundam, but I don't remember where the hell I read that so, take it with a grain of salt.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's already on display.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That Char mannequin is amazingly hilarious. I wish it had like a voicebox with a single line that just makes fun of you if you sit next to it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

Same. I stopped the episode several times in the first two minutes to identify all the cameos since there were so many in some shots, and found some throughout especially funny (Char) or cute (Domon's family/Haman & Mineva) but I had to stop the episode and got as close to squeeing as I hope I ever get at the Al, Chris and Bernie cameo. I actually stopped it at Al in the "cockpit", no Chris & Bernie and grinned massively while chuckling, then continued it, before making some really embarrassing sounds as I paused it again, while clapping and welling up.

I love this show. I really would love to see another season with new protagonists and cameos from the old cast or Sei, Reiji, Aila & Mao joining the Gunpla Police/World Tour under Takeshi or something.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
OH GOD. I JUST GOT THE JOKE.

Master Chinan was going apeshit over Rinko because (aside from the obvious) Rinko's VA was Murrue Ramius.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

Same. I stopped the episode several times in the first two minutes to identify all the cameos since there were so many in some shots, and found some throughout especially funny (Char) or cute (Domon's family/Haman & Mineva) but I had to stop the episode and got as close to squeeing as I hope I ever get at the Al, Chris and Bernie cameo. I actually stopped it at Al in the "cockpit", no Chris & Bernie and grinned massively while chuckling, then continued it, before making some really embarrassing sounds as I paused it again, while clapping and welling up.

I love this show. I really would love to see another season with new protagonists and cameos from the old cast or Sei, Reiji, Aila & Mao joining the Gunpla Police/World Tour under Takeshi or something.

If season 2 is not Sazaki's Gyanterattack I will be mildly upset. But only mildly, because season 2 not being that would still mean it's a second season.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All you guys hoping for a second season know Sunrise's track record with them, right? :v:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
The cameos in this week's episode. :swoon: This show is truly gundam heaven :unsmith:

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

All you guys hoping for a second season know Sunrise's track record with them, right? :v:

If its terrible I can choose not to watch it, if it is good I get another season of amazing television. Win win for me.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Part of me wishes that they announce that the last episode will be written and directed by Yoshiyuki Kill'Em All Tomino. It will be live action footage of him smashing gunpla with a hammer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No! GBF is a safe haven for all Gundam characters from that bloodthirsty bastard, keep him awaaaay. :gonk:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Ethiser posted:

Part of me wishes that they announce that the last episode will be written and directed by Yoshiyuki Kill'Em All Tomino. It will be live action footage of him smashing gunpla with a hammer.

That'll be an extra on the Blu-Rays.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Have we got a Cameo from 00's best Character, Prince Ali Mighty-is-he Ali al-Saachez?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think the only villains we've seen are Char, Haman, Jerid, Kacricon, Ral and co, Garma, and maybe Kycilia. I guess the rest didn't make the cut to reach Gundam heaven. :v:

EDIT: Oh and of course the Frost Brothers. Who apparently have a comedy skit. :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 19, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

:cry:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes. However, I also know what the odds on season one of this show itself being even remotely good were in most people's eyes, so it seems a safe-ish bet to me that season two will be at least pretty good frankly regardless of past track records. Gundam execs seem content to leave this show alone so long as the show continues to push enough model kit sales, so a theoretical season two would have just as much chance of being good as season one more than likely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Yes. However, I also know what the odds on season one of this show itself being even remotely good were in most people's eyes, so it seems a safe-ish bet to me that season two will be at least pretty good frankly regardless of past track records. Gundam execs seem content to leave this show alone so long as the show continues to push enough model kit sales, so a theoretical season two would have just as much chance of being good as season one more than likely.

Isn't S2 where the executive meddling usually starts kicking in, with S1 generally being free, easy, and original?

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

BlitzBlast posted:

This is not so much the track record of Sunrise as it is sequels to mecha-based anime. The failure rate is much higher than the success rate, even then.

I could speculate where they go with a second season, but Build Fighters is one of those shows that should REALLY be a "one and done" type thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't S2 where the executive meddling usually starts kicking in, with S1 generally being free, easy, and original?

Only if they panic. Build Fighters hasn't been "un-Gundam" and the gunpla kit sales are gangbusters, so they'd probably be happy enough to leave it be. Hopefully.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

But the ratings are still pretty bad, right? Generally that's all it takes to make Sunrise go "This is not derivative and trite enough, make it more like 0079 and Zeta".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

NoMoneyDown posted:

I could speculate where they go with a second season, but Build Fighters is one of those shows that should REALLY be a "one and done" type thing.

Pretty much how I feel. The concept isn't really novel enough to stand 50 episodes, they'd have to change it up significantly for S2. If they don't it's going to fall into the usual shonen repetition, if they do we're pretty likely to get something eh as they move away from gunpla fun time to I dunno exploring an alien world.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Build Fighters hasn't been "un-Gundam"

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

But the ratings are still pretty bad, right? Generally that's all it takes to make Sunrise go "This is not derivative and trite enough, make it more like 0079 and Zeta".

Ratings dont mean poo poo for sunrise, as long as the toys sell, they're happy. And build fighters has been selling a lot of toys.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I think if instead of following Sei/Reiji and they focused on a group of new characters who all work towards competing in the world tournament after seeing the awesome which was the season 1 tournament it could be quite good. If they had such a wide range of "main" characters rather than just one main team it would keep you guessing as to who'd win rather than expecting the SBS to win any important match it had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Well avoiding the standard Gundam plot entirely doesn't count, right? :v:

What I meant was they hadn't really tried to do anything extravagant or over-creative with the Gundam brand that might upset the higher-ups like Gundam 00 did. A well-written shonen series isn't likely to set off their alarms unless they go right off the reservation and start shooting people for losing or something.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They could do spinoff OVAs or just reuse the Gunpla fights concept with a different series. Kind of like how Build Fighters is Gunpla Builders but with real characters and plot. Its not like Sunrise is above blatantly milking a successful entry in the series.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

I think if instead of following Sei/Reiji and they focused on a group of new characters who all work towards competing in the world tournament after seeing the awesome which was the season 1 tournament it could be quite good. If they had such a wide range of "main" characters rather than just one main team it would keep you guessing as to who'd win rather than expecting the SBS to win any important match it had.

I still think they should go EVE MMO with it, allowing for massive fleet vs fleet battles of gunpla. Then the show could focus on the Iori household with Rinko taking up the role as team battle forecaster (ala 00) and China showing up with a cute but underpowered gunpla (bearguy of the week flavors) but getting carried every fight by Aila's superior fighting.

The beauty of this set-up is whatever team Fellini gets on being constantly harassed by the jealous and jilted lover teams. If nothing else that'd make a good 1.5 season, Fellini side story...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

GimmickMan posted:

Across Japanese and English, the newest episode has going on for 120,000 hits on Youtube too, is that good? Granted only 20K of that is the Japanese version, but if they are making a new push into the US markets Bandai can still get something from that, especially since that's presumably why they put it up for free anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I still think they should go EVE MMO with it, allowing for massive fleet vs fleet battles of gunpla. Then the show could focus on the Iori household with Rinko taking up the role as team battle forecaster (ala 00) and China showing up with a cute but underpowered gunpla (bearguy of the week flavors) but getting carried every fight by Aila's superior fighting.

As I recall, China actually did solid builds assisted by powerful off-the-wall gimmicks. She's just not a particularly great fighter. Which is why I'm so delighted that she and Aila seem to be teaming up Sei/Reiji style - I hope the Miss Sazabi has some bizarre secret weapon like the Bearguy III's cotton.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

As I recall, China actually did solid builds assisted by powerful off-the-wall gimmicks. She's just not a particularly great fighter. Which is why I'm so delighted that she and Aila seem to be teaming up Sei/Reiji style - I hope the Miss Sazabi has some bizarre secret weapon like the Bearguy III's cotton.

Considering Aila's love of food, the Sazabi's chest gun probably sprays cotton candy at it's opponents :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I didn't say or mean to imply that her building skills weren't good, just that her gunpla aren't the overpowered killing machines that we see in the tournaments sporting trans-am systems, clear funnels, and so on and favor things like pretty red bows rather than gently caress-off missle packed/sniper rifle toting boosters.

Thats why I suggested the continued Aila China team up, one brings the cute the other brings the pain.

• Locked thread