Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mechanically FFX is one of my favorites in the series but storywise it goes somewhere in the middle for me. Outside of A Fleeting Dream and To Zanarkand I'm not really sure how I feel about the remastered soundtrack, I kinda miss the original version of the Besaid Island theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

So is there any utility in the International version sphere board besides being able to branch out sooner? Will I get quicker access to the big attacks as well or are those pretty well gated too?

The Advanced sphere grid is more linear than the regular sphere grid and has less slots which only matters if you're going after the Dark Aeons and their bullshit. Basically, only do the Advanced grid if you're looking to be able to start the game with characters in different roles (like, wakka a thief so you can steal from the get go) or make Kimahari not just be copying somebody elses sphere grid but 20+ nodes behind.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Doesn't the Advanced grid also have a bunch of new abilities that weren't in the original, or were those added to the standard sphere grid in the International version too? I'm just running with the Advanced grid for my current run, since it's something different that I haven't tried before.

Edit: vv Well, drat. Oh well, I always wanted to dump Wakka and Rikku into different grids ASAP anyways, so I guess that's one plus to the new version. Dark Aeons are gonna suck, though.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 19, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

Doesn't the Advanced grid also have a bunch of new abilities that weren't in the original, or were those added to the standard sphere grid in the International version too? I'm just running with the Advanced grid for my current run, since it's something different that I haven't tried before.

The new abilities are added to the original grid too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Somebody explain the sphere grid choices to me, I did not realize this existed and am curious. I will be picking up the game at some point soon but want to be prepared for it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Somebody explain the sphere grid choices to me, I did not realize this existed and am curious. I will be picking up the game at some point soon but want to be prepared for it.

Basically for the International version they added a new sphere grid that had everyone at the center so you could throw anyone into whatever role you wanted. Lulu with Auron's skillset and stats for example. You still have the option for the original sphere grid where Lulu drops off in power after a while and Kimahri's useless though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

But it has less nodes on it? Does that mean you can't max stats or what?

Do you need to min/max everyone to beat Penance?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

An additional sphere grid (and slight changes to the existing one) were added to the International Release of FFX. The advanced sphere grid allows you to choose which starting point each character originates from basically allowing you to select their class at will.

Despite this seeming increase in freedom the Advanced sphere grid has less opportunities and takes longer to go off the rails of a characters starting job (which you honestly, don't have any real reason to do given that bonuses at the end of a sphere grid job line are multiplicatively better than those at the start). In addition the Advanced grid has less total node points so if you're obsessive about min-maxing your characters and turning empty spheres into stat boosters so everyone has 255 luck and other stats by grinding for like, months you'll have a lower point cap.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

The Advanced sphere grid is more linear than the regular sphere grid and has less slots which only matters if you're going after the Dark Aeons and their bullshit.

The less nodes does not matter for the Dark Aeons at all. All it means is you'll have slightly less HP if you care about using Break HP Limit. And there is never a reason to use that; not even Penance should be dealing 5 digits of damage.

It's also significantly less linear in every possible way, and comes in a nice shade of orange. Or, it did originally at least; hopefully it still does.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
After playing a while I think I'm ok with the new soundtrack, though in comparison to the old it sounds way busier. The older tracks were a bit more simplistic, either due to a stylistic choice or technical limitations, I don't know. I don't know that I like the new soundtrack better (except Assault, holy moly) but it's a decent companion to the original.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
They added a monster collecting mini game to X-2?

I really like X-2 and it has my favorite FF battle system but man they made some infuriating decisions with it.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
This is a really strange thing to latch onto, but I swear the HD remake has a lot less battle quotes than the original version. I swear the characters talked a lot more frequently (when entering battle, attacking, getting killing blows etc.) in the original. I could be misremembering though.

Also something abou Yuna's face/eyes in particular seem off to me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

keiran_helcyan posted:

This is a really strange thing to latch onto, but I swear the HD remake has a lot less battle quotes than the original version. I swear the characters talked a lot more frequently (when entering battle, attacking, getting killing blows etc.) in the original. I could be misremembering though.

Pretty sure the HD version has just as many as the International edition which had >= as much as the Japanese version which was a lot more than the original English release.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Contest Winner posted:

They added a monster collecting mini game to X-2?

I really like X-2 and it has my favorite FF battle system but man they made some infuriating decisions with it.

I wouldn't call it a mini-game really. Its extremely extensive. It also lets you absolutely trivialize the game (for example, I've got three copies of Mascot and I haven't left on my first mission yet). A good first monster is a Flame Dragon (L) from Besaid. It'll wreck just about anything, even in the Fiend Arena tournaments (except for the water sphere which is an absolute fucker).

If you're willing to grind it out, you can do things like get 99x Iron Dukes in Chapter 1, and the like (99 of anything actually).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I'll be the one to say I actually like the new music better. Subjectively speaking.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Brother is the best monster. A dancing tattooed man in overalls who fights by hip bumps and spazzing is something that should never leave anyone's party.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Looking at the new sound track I don't think it's as good as the original (they hosed with Spira Unplugged too much :argh:) but I think it's close enough that many people won't really notice or care all that much.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The GIG posted:

Brother is the best monster. A dancing tattooed man in overalls who fights by hip bumps and spazzing is something that should never leave anyone's party.

I could never bring myself to liking Brother. In addition to being a total spaz, the dedication he devotes to getting into his cousin's pants is really off-putting.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Dragonatrix posted:

Haha, I did the same thing. Sat there with a guide open the entire time, and still only got 99% to display at the end. Figured I must've somehow missed like one of those scenes in the Chapter 4 spheres or something.

Those are, by far, the worst part about trying to 100% X-2. Not the cutscene skip thing, not interrupting Maechen, not anything else. Those loving spheres.

There was a guide on gamefaqs that intentionally or unintentionally did not inform the player to "rest" in the airship in chapter 4.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is the FFX-2 soundtrack remastered as well, or did nobody else give a drat about its music?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

No they already nailed it the first time round.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
It isn't remastered, but they used higher quality tracks than they did for the PS2.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Tempo 119 posted:

No they already nailed it the first time round.

they definitely nailed it

right in the brain

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is anyone else having trouble with getting the timing right for Tidus's overdrives? Granted, I've only used it twice so far, so maybe I'm just (severely) out of practice (or my reflexes are just poo poo), but I can't seem to get the timing right.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The GIG posted:

I saw this back in the T40s LP of X-2 a couple years ago and never once in my wildest dreams did I dare to hope I could play this.

Don't care what anyone says, Square is good in my book. (as long as I ignore almost everything else)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I played X-2 a lot and I never saw that - was that something exclusive to the international version? I basically can't play the game without him after seeing that.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
International version. You can catch and use pretty much anyone, including Auron/Seymour/Tidus.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defeating Shuyin with Tidus only just seems like the most right thing to do.

Although I prefer Shuyin and would rather he win... Why they didn't give Tidus a Shuyin outfit in Dissidia, I'll never know.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So is the digital version of X/X-2 HD for PS3 ever going to be a thing or am I going to have to go get a physical copy?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So is the digital version of X/X-2 HD for PS3 ever going to be a thing or am I going to have to go get a physical copy?

It's on the store dude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Huh? I downloaded it this morning.

edit: beaten like Jecht's Blitzball record

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

I was more shocked they didn't go digital-only for this, tbh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I have spent the past 40 mins on the PSN store and I can only find the Vita version. Even when I straight up searched for 'Final Fantasy X'.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I have spent the past 40 mins on the PSN store and I can only find the Vita version. Even when I straight up searched for 'Final Fantasy X'.

I searched "Final Fantasy", then filtered to PS3 and that got it to show up. I won't disagree that PSN's search function is pretty weird, though, so I can absolutely understand having trouble finding it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Prolly been asked a bunch, but what's the difference between standard and expert sphere grids? I picked standard, but I've only barely started, so I'd rather know if I should start over now to try the new grid if it's better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Prolly been asked a bunch, but what's the difference between standard and expert sphere grids? I picked standard, but I've only barely started, so I'd rather know if I should start over now to try the new grid if it's better.

Expert allows you more early-game flexibility to determine how your characters end up. Standard technically has more nodes so it is better from a mix-maxing standpoint.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Expert allows you more early-game flexibility to determine how your characters end up. Standard technically has more nodes so it is better from a mix-maxing standpoint.

Technically has more nodes? How cool is this flexibility? Can I really go far out and give people some weird skills early in?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technically has more nodes? How cool is this flexibility? Can I really go far out and give people some weird skills early in?

It has more nodes but the only way you will notice it significantly is if you seriously go absolutely crazy with mid-maxing.

Expert kind of allows you to put anyone down any path basically. It's most significant for Kimhari because you can make him useful more easily.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

There are more than enough nodes in both grids to have max stats assuming you arne't a dumb idiot using break HP limit or break MP limit. there's really no reason to use standard; expert lets you teach auron haste really early or kimahri steal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also, it seems like only Auron or Khimari would make a good Auron- it's their weapons that have the piercing attribute, not their grid path. So if you put Lulu or someone down that path, they'll be strong but will still not be very good against the "heavily armored slow enemies," while if you put Khimari or Auron down some noodle-armed path, they'll pierce defenses but still not do good enough damage to OHKO those enemies. Same for other weapons- I think Lulu and Yuna's stuff is going to end up with all the spell-casty abilities, which will be wasted on them if you don't make them mages. And making other characters mages means they won't have good equipment for it.

The expert grid is neat in theory, I guess, but I wonder how it works in practice. The game already had "classes" so integrated into each character that it seems like nothing would work right if you try to swap them all around.