Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Plasbad posted:

Care to throw one of those hidden ability Corphish females my way? I've been wanting one for awhile.

Sure! It has an Adamant nature and should have at least 4 perfect IVs.

FC: 3067-5151-4488
IGN: Fantastica!

And if anyone wants some Archen I've got a bunch of these guys to send out. The best bird pokemon :3:

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's really weird that just so many dragons go through Larva->Pupa->Imago stages, like they're lizard/butterflies.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can someone explain what the gently caress happened here? http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75588440

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can someone explain what the gently caress happened here? http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75588440

Pyroar used Entrainment to give Garchomp Moxie (boosts attack 1 stage when you KO a pokemon), then Sableye used Gravity so Earthquake could hit pokemon normally immune to it.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

Sure! It has an Adamant nature and should have at least 4 perfect IVs.

FC: 3067-5151-4488
IGN: Fantastica!

And if anyone wants some Archen I've got a bunch of these guys to send out. The best bird pokemon :3:

Thanks, I'll be online at different points tonight, IGN is Plasbad. I'll probably give you a 4IV Ferroseed with Stealth Rocks and Leech Seed, or a 4IV Baltoy, whatever works.

EDIT: Thanks a bunch! I hope I didn't make you wait too long, I had set my 3DS down to grab something out of my microwave. :v:

Plasbad fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 19, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Do you guys think Boomburst is worth running on a Noivern? Doesn't get STAB but it's still a really powerful move. Most likely going to be running it in doubles paired with something hitting Wide Guard so it doesn't murder my own team.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
My only problems with Colosseum/XD were the battle speed and the loving trainer names. I swear they just bashed their face against the keyboard a few times and called it a day.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Travis343 posted:

Theres no chance they're going to make another Pokemon Pinball game is there?

I busted out the Ruby/Sapphire pinball game last weekend and dang, that game is still super fun.

I actually just found my Pokemon Pinball as well! Those games were sweet. I dropped days into it, but don't think I ever beat it. Catching the pokemon was a pretty fun mechanic too.

What was the name of the falling block game that was Pokemon? It was sorta like Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine, but with a poketwist.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Unbound posted:

I actually just found my Pokemon Pinball as well! Those games were sweet. I dropped days into it, but don't think I ever beat it. Catching the pokemon was a pretty fun mechanic too.

What was the name of the falling block game that was Pokemon? It was sorta like Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine, but with a poketwist.

Pokemon Puzzle League. That was actually the same game as Panel de Pon, which was rebranded over and over again as Puzzle League, Tetris Attack, etc. Definitely one of the better block fall games out there.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Was the game actually pokemon-related at all, or was that just the skin?

Timall
Dec 20, 2008
Been trying to hatch a shiny female Ralts for the last few months. I've got two males :( If anyone has a nicknameable shiny female Ralts, I'll trade two modest shiny male Ralts for it. I know it's a long shot, but I don't really care if it's Pokegenned now at this point - just using it for an ingame team. Let me know if you're interested.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Was the game actually pokemon-related at all, or was that just the skin?

It was more of a skin than anything else. There was the SNES version called Tetris Attack, which was itself a Yoshi-themed skin of the Japanese version, which involved fairies. (It's where Smash got Lip's Stick from.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm learning Japanese. It was only a matter of time.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Timall posted:

Been trying to hatch a shiny female Ralts for the last few months. I've got two males :( If anyone has a nicknameable shiny female Ralts, I'll trade two modest shiny male Ralts for it. I know it's a long shot, but I don't really care if it's Pokegenned now at this point - just using it for an ingame team. Let me know if you're interested.

I can certainly attempt to pokegen one for you if you're really that desperate. You don't even have to trade me any of yours for it (I have my own non-hacked shiny male, and he is gorgeous.). Help me with a trade evolution and we'll call it even. What name / ability do you want?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

noirstronaut posted:

Have fun replacing the batteries in the gen 2 carts

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
A couple days ago I could use Crawdaunt in UU on Showdown and now he's on the BL, what other changes have they made?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Star Man posted:

Have fun replacing the batteries in the gen 2 carts

If I had to guess, the ones he just bought were printed in 2013 in a Chinese dude's basement.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
I'm still bad at battling on Pokemon Showdown, but random battles are fun and can have completely unexpected outcomes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-100209226

Timall
Dec 20, 2008

John Carstairs posted:

I can certainly attempt to pokegen one for you if you're really that desperate. You don't even have to trade me any of yours for it (I have my own non-hacked shiny male, and he is gorgeous.). Help me with a trade evolution and we'll call it even. What name / ability do you want?

Don't worry about it - two eggs later I got a female. Funny the way luck works sometimes!! Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated :)

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

A couple days ago I could use Crawdaunt in UU on Showdown and now he's on the BL, what other changes have they made?

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-xy-uu-stage-0-i-lived.3500312/page-14

Hawlucha, Houndoominite, Salamence, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Magnezone, Crawdaunt and Klefki went to BL. Swagger was banned because gently caress swagger. Thundurus-T dropped down for testing: all of the BLs are going to be retested, one by one, to see if they're OK or not (Weavile's next after Thundurus-T).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

This is going to be painful and difficult. Why not just set an X/Y copy to Japanese?

Octag posted:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-xy-uu-stage-0-i-lived.3500312/page-14

Hawlucha, Houndoominite, Salamence, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Magnezone, Crawdaunt and Klefki went to BL. Swagger was banned because gently caress swagger. Thundurus-T dropped down for testing: all of the BLs are going to be retested, one by one, to see if they're OK or not (Weavile's next after Thundurus-T).

Haha, they actually went through with the swagger thing? That's hilarious. Why not just remove Klefki from the game entirely then, what else can the little guy do? Set up a screen then get KO'd?

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 19, 2014

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is going to be painful and difficult. Why not just set an X/Y copy to Japanese?

Collectors gotta collect? If I was able to get them cheap I'd get them. Of course I could probably only read the menu screens and a spattering of words but having it would be cool. :ohdear:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Collectors gotta collect? If I was able to get them cheap I'd get them. Of course I could probably only read the menu screens and a spattering of words but having it would be cool. :ohdear:

True, I didn't consider the collector angle. I guess there's nostalgia too, I just personally couldn't imagine going back that far after playing X/Y, especially knowing what we know now about those games.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I want to break the game with missingno again.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Haha, they actually went through with the swagger thing? That's hilarious. Why not just remove Klefki from the game entirely then, what else can the little guy do? Set up a screen then get KO'd?

Prankster screens, Spikes, Switcheroo and Thunder Wave with the best defensive typing in the game? That's not bad, heck, apparently it was banned from UU for reasons unrelated to swagger (it's like a weird, UU version of Deoxys-S, and Deoxys-S is dumb as hell in OU and needs to go).

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Haha, they actually went through with the swagger thing?
That's UU. OU is suspect-testing it because it's run by people with a clue as opposed to kokoloko's mad-dictator approach.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's hilarious. Why not just remove Klefki from the game entirely then, what else can the little guy do? Set up a screen then get KO'd?
Spikes. Screens. Thunder Wave. Rain Dance/Sunny Day. (e: Switcheroo. Hadn't even noticed that in its movepool.) It might get Stealth Rock when the move tutors come back. If the only way it can be relevant in OU is through bad players using it and/or an uncompetitive gimmick that forces the opponent to start flipping a coin to determine who wins, then it's not a good Pokémon - ban the gimmick, fix the demographic bias in the usage data, and let it fall to lower tiers which will actually appreciate a non-offensive Steel/Fairy with a wide support movepool.

Octag posted:

Deoxys-S is dumb as hell in OU and needs to go.
That's absurd. Deoxys-S is worse than Deoxys-D, and Deoxys-D isn't broken - it's a very good support Pokémon, but it's a lot harder for a support Pokémon to be broken than an offensive one. Deoxys-S has found a new niche as a revenge killer that doesn't need to wear a Choice Scarf, but its typing is poor, its offensive stats are generally outdone by Scarfed revenge killers, and it competes with its brother's excellent support capabilities since they fall foul of Species Clause.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 19, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Crafty Shield shuts down other pranksters hard in doubles and triples and it is my favorite Klefki strategy. It's even spammable!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Popped in my copy of coliseum xd to see what I was missing and I made it to Assistant Chobin's invention monitor. Holy crap some of the later ones.

"the pokepole is painted red and white like a pokeball but it's just a pole. People will confuse this with the real thing... Astounding!"

I'm taking that as a dig at us for confusing electrodes as pokeballs

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

That's UU. OU is suspect-testing it because it's run by people with a clue as opposed to kokoloko's mad-dictator approach.

Spikes. Screens. Thunder Wave. Rain Dance/Sunny Day. (e: Switcheroo. Hadn't even noticed that in its movepool.) It might get Stealth Rock when the move tutors come back. If the only way it can be relevant in OU is through bad players using it and/or an uncompetitive gimmick that forces the opponent to start flipping a coin to determine who wins, then it's not a good Pokémon - ban the gimmick, fix the demographic bias in the usage data, and let it fall to lower tiers which will actually appreciate a non-offensive Steel/Fairy with a wide support movepool.

That's absurd. Deoxys-S is worse than Deoxys-D, and Deoxys-D isn't broken - it's a very good support Pokémon, but it's a lot harder for a support Pokémon to be broken than an offensive one. Deoxys-S has found a new niche as a revenge killer that doesn't need to wear a Choice Scarf, but its typing is poor, its offensive stats are generally outdone by Scarfed revenge killers, and it competes with its brother's excellent support capabilities since they fall foul of Species Clause.

I'm not even considering the offensive sets, though it's probably Deo-S's best set right now. It's also a *lot* stronger than most scarfed revenge killers, by the way, mainly because Deo gets to hold a Life Orb:

252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 239-282 (70 - 82.6%)
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 196-232 (57.4 - 68%)

The problem with the Deoxys formes is the same as it's always been, the hazard stacking HO lead set. Deoxys-D/Bisharp/Balloon Aegislash is everywhere on the ladder. It feels like half the teams I'm fighting are using the same setup, and it's not hard to see why, it's incredibly easy to play and hard to deal with. Yeah, Deoxys-D is better at this, but if you ban Deo-D then Deo-S is more than able to fill the void. It was broken in gen IV, it was broken in gen V, and it's really not surprising that it's broken this gen too. They're incredibly degenerate Pokémon, the game would be much better without them, and I'm pretty annoyed with myself for not voting to ban at least Deo-S when I had the chance.

(I don't like Deoxys)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The prospect of filling out the extra 250-ish Pokemon to fill but my National Dex is a bit daunting and boring, so I've decided to spice it up a bit. Sure I could breed a fuckton of Cyndaquils and trade them for anything, but that would be boring.

Instead, I've decided to trade for historical equivalency. Go as far back as possible in the series' lifetime to find something that was at one point that Pokemon's equal that can today also be considered, if not a 'fair trade', at least one that I'm on the losing end of. It's kind of fun trying to puzzle out a trade that's fair on two different fronts, and in research I'm realizing tons of poo poo from previous generations that I've either forgotten or never realized.

So far, Meowth was easy. I have a Mankey, they were parallel exclusives in gen 1, piece of cake.
Grimer I'm trading a Koffing for, because apparently they were both 'soft exclusives' that were much rarer in one version than the other.
For a Seel, I'm offering a Ponyta, because that was an in-game trade in gen 1. Why, I don't know, because Seel were kind of easy to get in Seafoam.
Krabby was a bit tough, because everything else you could fish up with a Super Rod has been much more available. I eventually opted for Dratini, because if all else fails who the hell is going to turn down a Dratini for a Krabby.
Drowzee was tough too, because he's never really had a parallel in any game. I went with Smoochum because they were both D/P/Pt swarms.

Currently the one I'm puzzling out is Porygon2. I can get a Porygon simply enough, since I've already got a Porygon-Z, but Porygon2's just an awkward missing link. Maybe toss out a Scizor, since they evolve nin the same way and were introduced in the same generation?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 19, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

True, I didn't consider the collector angle. I guess there's nostalgia too, I just personally couldn't imagine going back that far after playing X/Y, especially knowing what we know now about those games.

It's mostly for collection and the ability to say I have them. Also, I managed to snag them for $65 which is about 8 bucks per game.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Octag posted:

Deoxys-D/Bisharp/Balloon Aegislash is everywhere on the ladder. It feels like half the teams I'm fighting are using the same setup, and it's not hard to see why, it's incredibly easy to play and hard to deal with.
Mandibuzz does not care about Bisharp and eliminates Aegislash with Foul Play, then you can Pursuit-trap Deoxys-D with whatever you fancy at your leisure because it's complete Taunt bait. Deosharp being good (if predictable, which is why its usage declines at the highest level) is due to Ghost and Dark being such good offensive types, not Deoxys being broken.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Is there any way to change Deoxys form in X and Y?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Go to the museum and look for a hiker standing in front of meteorites, interact with the meteorites with Deoxys in your party.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I came across a Female Croconaw in Colosseum and I wasn't able to get a Lux ball over to the game yet because the trade center is closed at the very beginning. I get a second chance to catch it if I fainted it right? I know that colosseum is only way to get lux ball Johto starters and I figured you'd get a second chanc later of you fainted it the first time

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You always get another chance to catch Shadow Pokemon. The Johto starters specifically are ones you're able to get all throughout the game.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Crosspeice posted:

You always get another chance to catch Shadow Pokemon. The Johto starters specifically are ones you're able to get all throughout the game.

Sweet. The Croconaw was Female and I can always reset if I get a chance at the others as well to get them female as well. I have 6 lux balls on gen 3 games so I'm just going to transfer them and get what I need.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is there a link for a primer on the terminology used to describe pokemon in battles?
Stuff like prankster, sweeper, etc. I can figure some out by context, but would love to see what else I'm missing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nth Doctor posted:

Is there a link for a primer on the terminology used to describe pokemon in battles?
Stuff like prankster, sweeper, etc. I can figure some out by context, but would love to see what else I'm missing.

Once you realize that most pokemon terms are portmanteaus of abilities/attacks, you'll be able to figure out 90% of them by context, but here's a list of terms from the gen 4/5 metagame: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Not sure whether I should be proud of this win.:smith:

• Locked thread